981 posts in this topic

Sweet, thanks.

Alright ladies, gents. It's guaranteed we're all going to be village at the start of this game, so I see no harm in doing some pregame discussion regarding strategy. That being said, obviously the people who only intend on spectating should not contribute their thoughts, unless Wyrm rules that's okay (which I doubt he will).

The way I see it, this game can be divided into phases. Phase One is going to involve us Exploring until we trigger an Omen (will likely happen N1 anyway), and the subsequent hunt for the player who was converted. As the rules state, we cannot discover the Heart of the House until a Traitor dies, and therefore our first priority needs to be accomplishing that. The trouble is, we're going to want to preserve as many Explorers as possible for Phase Two, as the more villagers we have Exploring, the faster we will discover the Heart and the method to kill it. Therefore I am going to advocate the following:

For a large duration of Phase One I believe that we should only lynch inactives until we have an actual lead, which more-than-likely will involve Roles and Items. Blindly killing active players in this game will only make things much harder in the end. The exact statistics are going to depend on the total number of players, but most likely it'll be something like a 1/20 chance. I would say we should make it a rule that at the discovery of the third Omen, we begin to thoroughly analyze one another and place votes on people we're genuinely suspicious of, but until then, trying to kill active players is not worth the risk.

Once Phase Two roles around, we're going to want to discover the Heart and fast. This is why I want to preserve as many active players as possible. The sooner we get rid of the Heart to prevent any more conversions, the sooner we can focus entirely on finding the last of the Traitors, which I will dub Phase Three and will be the most akin to a regular game of mafia. At this point in the game I would recommend all villagers Explore instead of using their newly obtained powers and items.

On Omens. I will ask @Wyrmhero for confirmation on this, but the rules state that "Note that the player that is subverted is unconnected to the player who discovers the Omen." I am reading that as whoever discovers the Omen cannot have been converted. Therefore, whoever discovers the Omen should announce it immediately. While it's possible they could have been converted before or end up converted after, that will at least guarantee they are not that particular Traitor.

One thing I might want to organize is a PM chain, where every player passes on what items and powers they obtain through exploration to the person next to them. This info should stay between those two players only so that if another player accidentally references it, we'll know the source of the leak. Additionally, this will give every player someone they can personally bounce ideas off of, which can either cause you to develop strategies you wouldn't have otherwise, or put a Traitor in a situation where they might give something away. These PMs should be set up N1, to begin a repertoire. Obviously no one will begin with any information, but once N2 rolls around, every player should have something to report, even if it's that nothing happened. However, if the next player in the chain has not responded often enough (I would say somewhere between 10 and 20 PMs) then cease contact and message the next person in the chain, as if your original PM buddy was unwilling to receive information, they most definitely haven't passed any on. This will allow us to bridge the gap and keep information accounted for. We can then create a list of every player who gets removed from the chain and use them as people to get rid of whenever we don't have better options. Another added benefit to this is that someone will be able to explain what a player who dies abilities consisted of.

Keep in mind that if we implement this plan you can have as many PMs as you want, but I strongly advise neither participant reveals any powers, items or information they gained via exploring. Keep the talk to things like players your suspicious of, and events that have unfolded in thread. To make the picture clearer, this is what it would look like, according to the current player list. I PM Wonko and spill everything to him, though Wonko tells me nothing in return. Wonko has a similar PM with Doc, Doc with Nyali, Nyali with Stick, then Stick with me.

So... thoughts?

Edited by Amanuensis

You aren't reading it quite right. It is possible for the player that discovered the Omen to be the one turned to the Eliminator side. What I was trying to say was that the person who discovered it is not definitely evil, but nor are they definitely innocent.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Ah. Shame. That would have made things fun for me (I like using tiny bits of information to help solve a larger puzzle)... :(

If there are no omens found on Night 0, I hope we all agree not to lynch anyone on Day 1 xD

Aman, looking at your post, I feel like becoming defensive, and then I realize I don't even have a role yet. :P 

Wyrm, can item names change?  

Can roles change?  If so, do role changes stack, or do they switch?

How well are the hidden things hidden?

14 minutes ago, Magestar said:

Aman, looking at your post, I feel like becoming defensive, and then I realize I don't even have a role yet. :P 

Wyrm, can item names change?  

Can roles change?  If so, do role changes stack, or do they switch?

How well are the hidden things hidden?

Items are fixed and while you can nickname them, they will still be at their core the same thing.

Roles can change and would stack - Though bear in mind that we have (to borrow a D&D term) an 'action economy' here, and you still only have one Action each Cycle.

Good question.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Aman, rather than a chain I would propose a buddy system. This would let people plan together better, because they wouldn't have to worry about info moving backwards on the chain.

Also, we could have only 1 person explore until an omen is found. That way, we can all explore the next night to find the heart, but there'd still only be 1 elim at the start of the round we gain that ability. That way, we minimize the enemies we create for phase 3

1 minute ago, Bugsy6912 said:

Also, we could have only 1 person explore until an omen is found.

Cripes, how long do you want this game to take >>.

Just now, Wyrmhero said:

Cripes, how long do you want this game to take >>.

I was sort of hoping you had already decided we would find an omen N1. It'd make this much more controllable :P 

Yeah, that's why I hadn't proposed that in the first place, or the plan that no one explores until the random kills reduce our numbers to something more manageable :P besides we're going to want Events and Items to give us power to combat the Traitors.

Just now, Bugsy6912 said:

I was sort of hoping you had already decided we would find an omen N1. It'd make this much more controllable :P 

PAFO. :P

10 minutes ago, Wyrmhero said:

Roles can change and would stack - Though bear in mind that we have (to borrow a D&D term) an 'action economy' here, and you still only have one Action each Cycle.

Do any roles have passives, or are they all active?  And do some roles/items give you an extra action?

Is it possible to absorb the Heart instead of killing it, and become omnipotent?

Quintus would like to enter the mansion.

1 minute ago, Magestar said:

Do any roles have passives, or are they all active?  And do some roles/items give you an extra action?

Is it possible to absorb the Heart instead of killing it, and become omnipotent?

In order, PAFO, no (I am willing to confirm this one) and PAFO.

I think we should try one person exploring on N1, and see if we find an omen. If we do, the elims are limited to 1 player until another omen is found, but the village can find the heart and the method to kill it. If we don't, we lose a villager, like we would have anyways. Either way, we'd all explore the next night and try to find the heart/weapon or an omen. IMO, it offers enough of a potential advantage that it's worth a try

1 minute ago, Bugsy6912 said:

I think we should try one person exploring on N1, and see if we find an omen. If we do, the elims are limited to 1 player until another omen is found, but the village can find the heart and the method to kill it. If we don't, we lose a villager, like we would have anyways. Either way, we'd all explore the next night and try to find the heart/weapon or an omen. IMO, it offers enough of a potential advantage that it's worth a try

Considering we can't find the heart or how to kill it until someone has found an omen, turned (or caused someone else to turn), and then be killed, I don't think only having one person explore would be very helpful. Plus, anyone who turns would want to keep that a secret, so we couldn't trust the one person who did explore, nor anyone the omen might have turned (which we won't know). I think Aman has the right idea of just exploring, lynching inactives, and trying to gain clues (hopefully from items/roles we'll discover).

Your strategies are good but boring. You're basically telling 95% of the game to do nothing for the first turn. I dunno about others, but I'd rather play a game than win a game. Also, if only one omen can be found on N0, having everyone explore gives us ~10-20 times as many resources as the lone traitor. If two traitors are generated, that's still ~5-10 times as many resources.

2 hours ago, Unodus said:

I'd like to sign up too, if that's alright. The names Exion, a gambler.

How longs a turn? A week, a day?

I don't think anyone noticed your edit, so I'll answer this. Turns are 48 hours a piece.

You're also ignoring the possibility of people who like being an Elim realizing they have a way higher chance of becoming one if they go explore the night that you make sure we send one person. :P 

3 minutes ago, Magestar said:

You're also ignoring the possibility of people who like being an Elim realizing they have a way higher chance of becoming one if they go explore the night that you make sure we send one person. :P 

Very true. I wonder who likes being an Elim? :ph34r:

Just to elaborate, my earlier post stems from how I play coop games with a traitor mechanic where the traitor is generated partway through the game (Betrayal, Battlestar Galactica, etc). I gather resources, but try to play just suboptimally enough that if I turn out to be the traitor, I still have a chance to win. Sure, we can minmax it such that we find the heart asap, but if you turn out to be a traitor, you've just shot yourself in the foot.

And, we don't start out as villagers and elims from the start. We're not "all villagers." We're all potential eliminators from the start. Until an elim or two is generated, we are all honestly best served helping ourselves over others. You don't know if you're on their team yet.

But, that's just my opinion. Feel free to have other ones!

1 minute ago, Jondesu said:

Very true. I wonder who likes being an Elim? :ph34r:

Not me.  :ph34r:

I wonder if there are secret alignments.  That would be interesting.

I'm perfectly comfortable "shooting myself in the foot" because I play to my current victory condition, no matter what.

1 minute ago, Amanuensis said:

I'm perfectly comfortable "shooting myself in the foot" because I play to my current victory condition, no matter what.

Wait, what win con?

Khaos will be entering the House. She's always been fascinated by claims of haunted houses, ghosts, and everything supernatural. She also doesn't like to be told what to do. She will be doing her own thing, talking to whomever she likes, saying whatever she likes, and exploring wherever she likes, whenever she likes. She also welcomes anyone who wishes to do the same. :)