Keteks

from the Stormlight Archive  

118 members have voted

1. 1. are keteks really "holy" as stated in the definition or just difficult to create and therefore admirable

2. 2. have you attempted a ketek poem before, if so - what is your opinion of them

• No - if selected please do not select a rating
    • Yes - please select a rating
    • Difficult to construct
    • Awesome
    • Pointless
    • Simple to construct
  3. 3. Which topic do you think is best for a ketek

Just now, FeatherWriter (Alyx) said:

I... I think I'm in love. What a gorgeous ketek! I'm just sitting here in awe that something so lovely and beautiful exists in this world. 

*sighs dreamily*

Storms! No way! FW actually likes it! You're like, the omnipotent ruler of keteks. I love all of your keteks and actually took heavy inspiration from several! Biggest fan. It means a lot that you actually like my work! Thank you!

• 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:16 AM, Sazedezas said:

I haven't divided these into thoughts yet, only just thought of them today, but here they are.

On Shards:

"Men, killing for gain, use gain for killing men."

(Note that the word "gain" can be replaced with "blades," "Shards," or "spren" without changing the meaning of the poem, but gain can also be used to imply the titles that come with capturing Shards.)

On war:

"Endlessly warring, Kings of land rid land of Kings, warring endlessly."

"Spearmen, killing, by cavalry, help cavalry by killing spearmen."

(This one uses both meanings of the word "by" to mean both alongside and the more common meaning that I'm having trouble defining).

Here's a new one on war:

Blood flows, like crimson rivers; the setting sun setting the rivers crimson, like flowing blood.

(sorry this got posted so many times, my phone kept telling me it hadn't posted, so I kept trying again. Eventually I just refreshed the page and realized the error.)

Edited by Sazedezas
clarification needed.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:41 PM, Drake Marshall said:

And here is a "ketek" that is likely extraordinarily sacrilegious to vorinism ;):

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination, death is my life, the strength becomes my weakness, the journey has ended.

Ouch, savage

• 1 month later...
On 13/01/2012 at 5:04 PM, FeatherWriter said:

Or write a 121 word long ketek!

On 16/01/2012 at 10:05 AM, Wisdom said:

Wow, 60+1+60 words that have to read the same forwards as well as backwards. That's an average of 24.2 words per section. If someone manages to make one, I will eat my top hat :D.

On 19/05/2012 at 3:27 PM, Studier of Keteks said:

Wisdom, I accept your challenge. 121 word ketek coming up.

Soon.

Maybe.

I don't know why I was crazy enough to do this, but I made what I believe to be a K3 ketek with 121 words in it. There are multiple sentences in each section, but I did my best to put different arguments in each section. The grammar may also be slightly off, so I apologize if this isn't perfect. I made the overall theme "Music". I hope you like it!

-Harmonies create lives of connection, imposing community’s cooperation through emotions tethered continuously with melody. Combine expression with enterprise and entertainment so success invites imagination.-

-Music brings feelings of reality. The family and friendship, devotion and animosity, happiness and heartache, fantasy and actuality, soul and demise of expressions develop.-

-Quivering soul, my stories are told, words my instruments sing remember humanity. Forever humanity remembers singing instruments. My words told are stories. My soul quivers.-

-Develop expressions of demise and soul, actuality and fantasy, heartache and happiness, animosity and devotion, friendship and family. The reality of feelings brings music.-

-Imagination invites success, so entertain and enterprise with expression. Combine melody with continuously tethered emotions. Through cooperation, community imposes connection of lives, creating harmony.-

Here's mine, for you Portal fans... 

An android like a majestically soaring eagle, piloting a blimp, a pilot eagle soaring majestically like an android. 

And one for fencing...

The opponent, offended, attacks, I parry deceivingly. Riposting, deceiving the parry, I attack and offend the opponent. 

(For those of you who aren't into dated fencing terminology, offend roughly means to successfully attack your opponent.)

Also, sorry to bring back an old argument a little, but I'm pretty sure the actual definition of "Holy" is "Set apart." In Christianity, "holy," unless specified otherwise, is assumed to mean "set apart for God." Presumably, when it comes to vorinism, holy means "set apart for the almighty" or "set apart for the vorin religion." Therefore, everything that's not specifically about vorin principles or history or whatnot is not a true ketek. 

...And obviously only true keteks should exist. Because Portal and fencing are DEFINITELY part of the Vorinism.

(For those of you that are bad with sarcasm(I know such people exist) that last sentence was completely sarcastic.)

An android like a majestically soaring eagle piloting a blimp, a pilot eagle soaring majestically like an android.

Edited by Julio

• 1 year later...

This is an insanely old topic but I came up with one for literature class that I just have to share:

Making decisions for truth, Life changing, “Decisions, Decisions”, Changing life, Truth for Decision Making.

Tell me what you think and great job with all the other keteks guys!

Here's  are my newest three:

Fated to leave, answers given; questions given answers left to fate.

(I have no idea what that one means, admittedly)

Secrets unveiled, never to wield like daggers but hidden again. Power for power again hidden - dagger-like - wielded to never unveil secrets.

(That one didn't turn out as powerful as I intended, but it at least fits the structure)

Redeeming words of power, spoken by desperate forces of dying men. Save them! Save men's death of focus , and force desperation by spoken power of words redeemed!

What do y'all think?

• 2 years later...

I'm no poet, but I made a ketek about a cat that keeps showing up at my house, and since it looks like I'm not alone in cateks I'll share it:

Meow! Mouth open, running, cat stops, then screams, purring. It purrs, screams, then stops; runs, opens mouth: Meow!

And yes, I do mean screams. Whenever the cat wants something, he repeatedly emits a demanding yowl "scream" that lasts upwards of five seconds.

I leave always, your compelling tears desperately beg, stop struggling, stop begging desperately tearing compulsions, you always leave me.

[I envision a mind manipulator trapping an ex, making them stay in love and telling them that they aren't allowed to leave while the manipulator keeps leaving for life. Then the ex breaks free and leaves again.]

Lonely slumber, I long for darkness. You left, your dark furlough. I slumber alone.

[That point in a relationship where one of you wants a break, and you are left alone.]

Time! Muffin, it's done! "Is it ready?" It is done. It's Muffin Time!

[I'm sure you remember asdfmovie.]

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/12/2020 at 11:46 PM, Condensation said:

These are amazing! Sadly, I've run out of rep. Be back tomorrow!

Has @Gears posted here yet? Gears, your keteks are amazing!

Haha I ran out of rep for today too going through this thread. @FeatherWriter your keteks are incredible!!

Here are my attempts. The first is a minor spoiler for Oathbringer:

Spoiler

War of rage, lost souls mourn.Trapped in perfect gem, perfect in trapping.Mourn, souls' lost rage of war!

Written in commemoration of the entrapment of Nergaoul and loss of the thrill

This one is more personal, exploring how dedication to my goals can allow me to dedicate my body to good. Also a haiku (which was the original assignment, thus not 5 seperate thoughts):

Dedication be
Embodied, wondrous body
Be dedicated

Chonky boy eating much lunks. Lunks, much eating. Boy: Chonky

Technically, the word 'Boy' in this Ketek could be interchanged with 'Lift'. However, Lift doesn't actually get chonky from eating much lunks.

Large Tentacles envelop my dreams. The dreams, my enveloping tentacles enlarge.

This Ketek is considered questionable by many, not only because of the interchangement of 'large' and 'enlarge', but also because what the crap who wrote this and why do they severely need help???. (See also: Common sense)