2016-11-07 FNAC Colombo - Lisbon, Portugal

dgenio8

Hi, I'm new here, but I really wanted to post the answers Brandon gave on this book signing in Lisbon. I was able to make 4 questions, and from the rest of the audience I remember at least another interesting one. Unfortunately, I did not record it or write down the answers immediately, so I will paraphrase everything. I'm also unsure if this is the right place to post it...

Q: In the books, the Hoid we see is always the same physical being?

A: Yes! It's the same physical entity.

Q: Was the Hoid we see born naturally, or was he created?

A: We was born naturally.

Q:You mention that, before the shattering, there was a force opposing Adonalsium. Was it an entity like Adonalsium?

A: He explain that they gave him to much wiggle room when the anti-Adonalsium question was made, explaining that is answer could mean that a group of people was against Adonalsium. But, for this question, we had to RAFO.

Q: If the force opposing Adonalsium is an entity like him/it (?), have we seen any magic that is related to this entity?

A: No. All the magic you see come from the shards of Adonalsium.

Q:What made Vin so special?

A:RAFO

He also refereed some other stuff that are not super related to theories. If he had to choose one character as the favourite, he would go to Dalinar, because he is with him the longest (from an unpublished history with Hoid). He will not write a sequel to Emperor's Soul, as he think that story is perfect as it is, but Shai (the protagonist) will appear more in the Cosmere. However, when asked if she will be part of the 17th Shard, he said that they are to rigid for her. We confirm that we will write a sequel to Warbraker about Vasher and Vivienna, but maybe only around the break after SA5.

I got a question answered during the actual signing. I hope it wasn't asked before. I think it wasn't, because he hesitated a lot...

Me: Did Bavadin in any way help Odium splinter Dominion and Devotion?

Brandon: Uhh...

Me (sensing an incoming RAFO): In any way...

Brandon: Uhh... Yes... Yes, you could say that...

Why I asked this? Because it didn't make sense to me that Odium could singlehandedly splinter both Dominion and Devotion in a "brief visit" (as per Hoid) to Sel. No matter how singularly dangerous a Shard of Hatred must, the other two shouldn't be any pushovers... After all, Dominion's Investiture seems to fuel, among other things, the magic of the Dakhor Monks, which seems pretty dark and destructive, so Dominion itself must have been capable of defending himself...

My theory is that Bavadin (Shard of Autonomy?) meddled in Sel before or during Odium's visit. My ideas of what might have happened:

- Bavadin managed to turn Dominion and Devotion against each other, weakening them for Odium's killing blow.

- Bavadin was an architect of the disunity seen in Sel. There seem to exist too many cults and religions on Sel, many warring each other.

My theory is that the infighting on Sel weakened the Identity (but not necessarily the Investiture) of Dominion and Devotion. After all, the Intent of those Shards should be, among other things, "unity" and "love". If those using your Investiture don't adequately pursue those ideas, your Identity is weakened. The "Splintering", in my view, might be the decoupling of Identity from the Investiture from a Shard. Thus, as seen on Sel, the Investiture is still available for use (there seem to be many Splinters around), but the underlying will to guide it is missing.

Just like Odium's Intent seems to singularly oppose Devotion's, so should Autonomy's Intent oppose Dominion's. Thus making Bavadin (who is the Shard of Autonomy, right...?) both a willing and likely sidekick for this "double murder on Sel"...

Let the discussion begin... xD

P.S.: Also, my first post. I hope it's a nice initiation to the 17th Shard :)

Maybe I'm looking too hard for tricky Sanderson answers after Alcatraz reveal, but:

6 hours ago, dgenio8 said:

Q: In the books, the Hoid we see is always the same physical being?

A: Yes! It's the same physical entity.

He mentions that Hoid is the same physical entity.  That is a far cry from saying he is human, or even that the cognitive force behind Hoid is the same every time.  Its great that we have confirmation that the physical form behind the camouflage is the same every time, but his positive answers can often create far more questions than his negatives.

I find myself now wondering if the Hoid we see is the same Cognitive and Spiritual entity every time as well as just physical.

1 hour ago, Moridin997 said:

I got a question answered during the actual signing. I hope it wasn't asked before. I think it wasn't, because he hesitated a lot...

Why I asked this? Because it didn't make sense to me that Odium could singlehandedly splinter both Dominion and Devotion in a "brief visit" (as per Hoid) to Sel. No matter how singularly dangerous a Shard of Hatred must, the other two shouldn't be any pushovers... After all, Dominion's Investiture seems to fuel, among other things, the magic of the Dakhor Monks, which seems pretty dark and destructive, so Dominion itself must have been capable of defending himself...

My theory is that Bavadin (Shard of Autonomy?) meddled in Sel before or during Odium's visit. My ideas of what might have happened:

- Bavadin managed to turn Dominion and Devotion against each other, weakening them for Odium's killing blow.

- Bavadin was an architect of the disunity seen in Sel. There seem to exist too many cults and religions on Sel, many warring each other.

My theory is that the infighting on Sel weakened the Identity (but not necessarily the Investiture) of Dominion and Devotion. After all, the Intent of those Shards should be, among other things, "unity" and "love". If those using your Investiture don't adequately pursue those ideas, your Identity is weakened. The "Splintering", in my view, might be the decoupling of Identity from the Investiture from a Shard. Thus, as seen on Sel, the Investiture is still available for use (there seem to be many Splinters around), but the underlying will to guide it is missing.

Just like Odium's Intent seems to singularly oppose Devotion's, so should Autonomy's Intent oppose Dominion's. Thus making Bavadin (who is the Shard of Autonomy, right...?) both a willing and likely sidekick for this "double murder on Sel"...

Let the discussion begin... xD

P.S.: Also, my first post. I hope it's a nice initiation to the 17th Shard :)

Awesome! I discussed Bavadin and his interests a couple of days ago, and it is nice to know that he did something that helped Odium.

Question is how much he did, and if it was deliberate or not...

18 minutes ago, Stark said:

He mentions that Hoid is the same physical entity.  That is a far cry from saying he is human, or even that the cognitive force behind Hoid is the same every time.  Its great that we have confirmation that the physical form behind the camouflage is the same every time, but his positive answers can often create far more questions than his negatives.

To be fair, the question explicitly asks about Hoid's physical aspect, so it makes sense that Brandon responds in kind (regardless of whether he is being shifty or not).

Regarding Hoid's humanity, I've seen a couple of confirmations (one very recent) that he is human in the same way Steel Inquisitors are human. In other words, mostly, but with a lot of Spiritweb hacks. Reminds me strongly of sci-fi people with a lot of body augments.

36 minutes ago, Argent said:

To be fair, the question explicitly asks about Hoid's physical aspect, so it makes sense that Brandon responds in kind (regardless of whether he is being shifty or not).

Regarding Hoid's humanity, I've seen a couple of confirmations (one very recent) that he is human in the same way Steel Inquisitors are human. In other words, mostly, but with a lot of Spiritweb hacks. Reminds me strongly of sci-fi people with a lot of body augments.

I think ive seen the same WoB comparing inquisitors and Hoid, and they only confirm that there is a similarity, not that they are completely comparable. I know im knit picking, and that that is not what you meant, but people who havent seen thise WoB could easily develop a misconception based on your wording.

1 hour ago, Argent said:

Yes, I agree, whether he is being shifty or not, we now can say that we know his physical aspect is the same (barring normal time related changes) and that his spiritual aspect is greatly altered, not unlike an Inquisitor.  My concern is have we asked anything about how his cognitive aspect has evolved over time?  

Has the concept of Hoid changed since his first cannon appearance.  Who and what is Hoid conceptually within the Cosmere, and has that remained as stable as his physical aspect over all his appearances, or has it altered as much as his Spiritual aspect?

21 hours ago, Argent said:

On 08/11/2016 at 0:46 PM, dgenio8 said:

Q: Was the Hoid we see born naturally, or was he created?

A: We was born naturally.

I wonder how we put this together with is conversation with Kaladin in the Way of King.  I don't have it here, but he said he started has a concept, an idea. He stole himself.

We has born naturally has a human, is the same physical body since we have seen him, but was initially a concept. If this is not just a philosophical musing, could this mean that the Cognitive entity ridding Hoid's body was implanted there latter? Could this be an artificially generated sentience, like the one Nigthblood has?

4 hours ago, dgenio8 said:

I wonder how we put this together with is conversation with Kaladin in the Way of King.  I don't have it here, but he said he started has a concept, an idea. He stole himself.

We has born naturally has a human, is the same physical body since we have seen him, but was initially a concept. If this is not just a philosophical musing, could this mean that the Cognitive entity ridding Hoid's body was implanted there latter? Could this be an artificially generated sentience, like the one Nigthblood has?

I see two answers :

- either Hoid is so cosmere-aware, that, like Deadpool, he knows he is a character in a story.

- or he might have changed his past ? I haven't read the Emperor's Soul yet, so I don't know every detail about Forgery, but from what I gathered, it could be possible, no ?

13 hours ago, Demiandre said:

I see two answers :

- either Hoid is so cosmere-aware, that, like Deadpool, he knows he is a character in a story.

- or he might have changed his past ? I haven't read the Emperor's Soul yet, so I don't know every detail about Forgery, but from what I gathered, it could be possible, no ?

Given Brandon's style, I do not think the Deadpool hypothesis is reasonable... The second, however, it's possible, but it strikes me as odd. Hoid's wording seem to imply something that happen a long time ago, even before the Shards start to Invest in planets...

I think you guys are reading too much into it.  I think Hoid and his master came up with who they wanted Hoid to be...like his purpose and identity (for example, kind of like Batman decides who he's going to be...an ideal, a vigilante).

Hoid started as human, but his web is broken and filled in (like an obligator) which is why he isn't entirely human, but I don't think we should read too much into his "idea and concept" statement, beyond his intentional plan on who to be, and purpose to fill.

Yes, Occam's razor is the key :-)

WoB states that Hoid is a name he stole from someone else. The someone else could be a character he took from a book, because the purpose, goals and all the stuff this Hoid were supposed to do inspired him.

Or there is an ancient lore about a potential savior in the Cosmere, and Hoid took it upon himself to be that hero. But it reminds me too much of Mistborn, so I guess it isn't that either (or he came to Scadrial because of it ?)

1 hour ago, Demiandre said:

WoB states that Hoid is a name he stole from someone else. The someone else could be a character he took from a book, because the purpose, goals and all the stuff this Hoid were supposed to do inspired him.

A tiny spoiler for (unpublished and non-canon) Liar of Partinel:

Spoiler

Hoid was his master's name back when the Hoid we know was just an apprentice.

27 minutes ago, Argent said:

A tiny spoiler for (unpublished and non-canon) Liar of Partinel:

Reveal hidden contents

Hoid was his master's name back when the Hoid we know was just an apprentice.

Spoiler

And if the Master took it from a book ? :D It might be a Title...

Thanks for the info, I'll just stop thinking about that and continue working about my theory :P

• 2 months later...