First of the Sun used to have a shard (speculation)

I'm going to say that even though Survival seems like a prime candidate for First of the Sun, I have the feeling that Survival is roaming the Cosmere in the depths of space. All of the other Shards are confined on planets, and if you want to stay away from Shards, stay away from planets.

I support this theory because I want to have that scene where someone (most likely from Mistborn Era 4) is in a spaceship and comes upon a massive energy source: Survival

8 hours ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

I'm going to say that even though Survival seems like a prime candidate for First of the Sun, I have the feeling that Survival is roaming the Cosmere in the depths of space. All of the other Shards are confined on planets, and if you want to stay away from Shards, stay away from planets.

I support this theory because I want to have that scene where someone (most likely from Mistborn Era 4) is in a spaceship and comes upon a massive energy source: Survival

Just a note: What we call "The Shard who wants to survive" is not Survival (as Shard's name) and his Intent isn't strictly related to Survive. It's just a smart Shard who knows what Odium did and don't want to die.

21 minutes ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

I like calling it Survival. It's like a nickname.

Ah okok, I say that because many people think the Survival-Shard is actually Survival and this link him/her to First of the Sun and its culture.

12 hours ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

Honestly I don't know if this is even possible. A Shard's power is mostly Spiritual and therefore is everywhere/nowhere. But once a Shard extend himself into the Cognitive Realm, There is no "deep space" in the Cognitive Realm for the lacking of living being

19 minutes ago, Yata said:

Honestly I don't know if this is even possible. A Shard's power is mostly Spiritual and therefore is everywhere/nowhere. But once a Shard extend himself into the Cognitive Realm, There is no "deep space" in the Cognitive Realm for the lacking of living being

I understand. But like I said, I supported that for the sheer awesomeness of the encounter it would be.

1 hour ago, Yata said:

We know there are at least two Shards that aren't on planets, Ambition and one other one. Silverlight, also, isn't on a planet, so it might tie everything nicely in a bow for the Survival Shard to be the Shard that isn't on a planet and to somehow be sustaining Silverlight. It knows enough about the cosmere because of the Silverlight researchers, and it stays away from planets so Odium can't find it. (I, personally, speculate that Frost is the Shard who's hiding and surviving on Yolen, but I'll admit it's not the only plausible scenario.)

9 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

We know there are at least two Shards that aren't on planets, Ambition and one other one. Silverlight, also, isn't on a planet, so it might tie everything nicely in a bow for the Survival Shard to be the Shard that isn't on a planet and to somehow be sustaining Silverlight. It knows enough about the cosmere because of the Silverlight researchers, and it stays away from planets so Odium can't find it. (I, personally, speculate that Frost is the Shard who's hiding and surviving on Yolen, but I'll admit it's not the only plausible scenario.)

Ambition is splintered, though, right? In the Threnody system somewhere, which caused the Cognitive blockage that caused the shades?

4 minutes ago, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

Ambition is splintered, though, right? In the Threnody system somewhere, which caused the Cognitive blockage that caused the shades?

It was damaged in the Threnody system, but it is not in the Threnody system now. The essay states that its final Splintering occurred elsewhere.

On 1/5/2017 at 3:45 AM, Yata said:

Just a note: What we call "The Shard who wants to survive" is not Survival (as Shard's name) and his Intent isn't strictly related to Survive. It's just a smart Shard who knows what Odium did and don't want to die.

This.

It very well could be the Shard of Love, or the Shard of Intelligence.
The WoB that discusses it makes it sound that wanting to hide and survive is just what it's doing in fear of Odium, and is in no way linked to it's Intent. Speculating that it's Drominad's Shard simply because there's a lot of survival going on on First of the Sun is exactly that: speculation.

Even though it fits so well, I wouldn't use it as the foundation for stronger theories. At least not yet.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have always assumed based on the 'it's natural' WoB that it is just concentrated ambient Investiture. Something like a leyline in other fiction. 

Mechanically speaking, I kind of headcanoned it into this deal where the natural flow of free Investiture throughout the Cosmere left over from the Shattering isn't smooth. As it gets cycled into lives and death and motion, some of it moves around in the cognitive and physical realms, and that flow eddies and swirls. Therefore, the pool is just a place where the flow is doing something different and it manifests as a pool.

It's just the place where local Investiture comes from and returns to. It isn't related to a Shard, it's natural.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Firerust said:

Hey... was that a reference to the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series?

I've seen leylines used as a power source in other series: Dresden Files (Butcher) and Soul of the World (Mealing) off the top of my head. I am also a fan of Michael Scott's series. One of the few young adult series I have enjoyed as a older guy.

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2016 at 6:26 AM, ParadoxicalZen said:

I just finished my reread, and would like to point out that Patji's eye was coloured green, which may or may not link it having some Shardic flavour

I was rereading WoR, and I noticed that Sigzil calls the Perpendicularities on the Horneater peaks the "Emerald pools." since they are the same color, are they from the same shard? 

Probably not, but I just wanted to bring up the idea somewhere

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...