Aether

This is very interesting, all the characters are older by a few years than what I expected. Going on a slight tangent, have we had any word of the life expectancy on Roshar? I'd be interested to know if the characters are actually as old as they seem by Rosharan standards as opposed to ours.

Edited by Moist_von_Lipwig

On one hand, I'm a bit let down with how far away my guesses were about judging the dates from the epigraphs were from being correct, on the other hand, I really didn't have much to work with in the first place. Also, I mentioned every time that they were guesses, so I don't know how anyone could have accepted that as fact.  (The thing I mentioned Peter confirming in the TWG thread was the length of the year: 500 days, with 20 hour days, with hours being a minute or two shorter than ours.) And we've finally got confirmation that certain things do not match up now from Peter, which is something.  But we're back to the beginning as far as trying to figure out the timeline of the events in Way of Kings.

So when would Kaladin have arrived on the Shattered Plains?  It really didn't seem like he was there for more than 2 or 3 Roshar months, if you try and add up all the time that elapses.  I have no good guesses for when Way of Kings ended anymore, without making more huge assumptions and counting backwards from the one given date in the Words of Radiances spoiler excerpt epigraphs.

Also, what are our current guesses for the start of the modern-day Alethi calender?

(The thing I mentioned Peter confirming in the TWG thread was the length of the year: 500 days, with 20 hour days, with hours being a minute or two shorter than ours.)

Pardon me, I misunderstood.

Also, what are our current guesses for the start of the modern-day Alethi calender?

Depending on the length of the Hierocracy, or maybe how late the Recreance might have been, it might be one of those.

EDIT: Also, my number of posts just became a palindrome. Yay?

Edited by Aether

Hmm. Is anything close to 1173? The only other date I remember is on the Alloy of Law broadsheet.

Well, in the Final Empire timeline, the Lord Ruler died 1022 years after he took the power, with Vin taking the power in 1024. Kind of numerically close. I suppose we could use Modern Era of Roshar or something.

I suppose we could use Modern Era of Roshar or something.

It would be nice if you could come up with a place-holder name for the calendar. I nominate my own suggested Arbitrary Calendar, which has the benefit of giving a neat AC contraction: 1173 AC!

Edited by Aether

It is possible to calculate the month number of Kaladin's arrival at the Plains by combining specific information found in 3 chapters.

Ah, let's see, Kaladin was made a slave 8 months before he arrived on the Shattered Plains (Chapter 6 and others). In Chapter 9 he makes a reference to the "past nine months".  In Chapter 47 (Stormblessings, 1 year ago) Kaladin says that his enlistment will be up in a few weeks, that it's been nearly 4 years since he joined Amaram's army. That's the same day he becomes a slave.  Kaladin and Tien joined the army during a Weeping, prior to Lightday (Chapter 44, 5 years ago). I assume Lightday is another term for Jeseses.

Putting those together would mean that Kaladin arrived on the Plains in month 7 or 8, depending on how stuff was rounded...  But the Weeping hasn't started yet by the end of Way of Kings, and no one has even mentioned it.  Hmmm.  Enough time passed and Bridge runs occurred that all of the Bridge 4 members from chapter 6 had died by the end of chapter 9 (except Kaladin, obviously). If new Bridgemen are only added on Chachel, that means there were either 15 or 20 days between chapters 9 (Kid that reminds him of Tien joins and immediately dies) and 32 (Lopen joins, Side Carry), and another 15 days between 32 and 46 (Shen joins). Then maybe another few weeks between 46 and 55, then maybe another week or two before 61, and then 10 days between 62 and 63 (Everything from 63 to the end of the book is the same day for Kaladin).

(Period of time during which all the other Bridge 4 members die, arbitrary minimum of 3 weeks, max of 5 weeks)+(15 to 20)+15+(10 to 20)+(5 to 10)+10 = 70 to 100 days.  That puts us almost to the end of 1173, into month 9 at the least.  Am I missing something or are we really that close to the end of the year?

Well, in the Final Empire timeline, the Lord Ruler died 1022 years after he took the power, with Vin taking the power in 1024. Kind of numerically close. I suppose we could use Modern Era of Roshar or something.

Weiry, Joe and I are of the opinion that we stick with the EoS convention for now, until we hear the actual name of the calendar. Because it's not *technically* wrong, because this year is happening in the Era of Solitude.

Weiry, Joe and I are of the opinion that we stick with the EoS convention for now, until we hear the actual name of the calendar. Because it's not *technically* wrong, because this year is happening in the Era of Solitude.

So my suggested Arbitrary Calendar has been effectively shot down? I feel sad.

Well, honestly most of the calendars we have going on in the wiki right now are arbitrary to being with.

Which makes the annotation next to perfect! Just slip in an "R" for Rosharan, or "N" for Selish or something. 1173 EoS would then become the rather stylish 1173 ARC.

Admittedly, Scadrial and Sel would pose a problem, as AScC and ASeR feel a bit forced. EDIT: Second thoughts, that latter one was acutally pretty neat! 

Just a question the gravity and other factors affect the average life span of a Rosharian?

Sadeas and maybe Dalinar are in his 50'(50/55) and still are fighting, what looks a little odd to me. In the top of may head I think that at least with less grativy a person skin would "sag" a little less, and he would fight for long before his muscles gived away for age (less gravity more time being able to cary and swing heavy weapons effectively) maybe this could affect other factors like bone resistance or blood pressure, i really don't know.

But the Rosharian apparently are very fit in old age, well Dalinar at least are.

@Natans This is what I was wondering. Do people on Roshar age differently compared to people on earth? for example, someone who is 50 on Roshar might have the body of a 40 year old on Earth. 

If people on Roshar do age slower than the Earth equivalent, it would be interesting to see what environmental factors affect this.

@Natans This is what I was wondering. Do people on Roshar age differently compared to people on earth? for example, someone who is 50 on Roshar might have the body of a 40 year old on Earth. 

If people on Roshar do age slower than the Earth equivalent, it would be interesting to see what environmental factors affect this.

Recently I read some books of the "Caliban Wars" space opera saga  where the difference of gravity made funny thing with the human body, so I kind begin wonder if something similar could have happened in Roshar.

For example the The 17th shard member come from planets with different gravity (maybe more maybe less), but their don't showed any sign of being affected by this. If one are from a planet with more gravity he wouldn't fell less stress or some come to Roshar, or in similar not if one are from a little gravity planet, he wouldn't fell "pressured" in Honor planet ?

=)

Just a question the gravity and other factors affect the average life span of a Rosharian?

Sadeas and maybe Dalinar are in his 50'(50/55) and still are fighting, what looks a little odd to me. In the top of may head I think that at least with less grativy a person skin would "sag" a little less, and he would fight for long before his muscles gived away for age (less gravity more time being able to cary and swing heavy weapons effectively) maybe this could affect other factors like bone resistance or blood pressure, i really don't know.

But the Rosharian apparently are very fit in old age, well Dalinar at least are.

I've been wondering that myself. On the other hand though, not every 50 year old on earth is weak/sick/handicapped in any way. I find it plausible that someone, especially someone who's been a physically healthy warrior for most of their life, would still be strong and warriorlike at 55. Although I would expect him to weaker than he was at 20 or 30.

I've been wondering that myself. On the other hand though, not every 50 year old on earth is weak/sick/handicapped in any way. I find it plausible that someone, especially someone who's been a physically healthy warrior for most of their life, would still be strong and warriorlike at 55. Although I would expect him to weaker than he was at 20 or 30.

I see this like the case of Anderson Silva little kick. He is very fit to a 39 pro fighter, but to many years fighting taked a price an his body can't keep up. Of course that a 55 years old could be very fit.

d4VSZ.jpg

But maybe Rosharian human are a little different, like Sanderson said that Scandriel humans are more fit to survive the ash.

That doesn't mean it is not technically wrong. It is technically wrong. At some point starting around 4500 years ago, after the Heralds told them they had won, people did use the EoS calendar counting from the date of Aharietiam. Around 1173 years ago, they stopped using the EoS calendar, at least in the East. The EoS calendar may still be in use some places in Roshar.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

The thing I mentioned Peter confirming in the TWG thread was the length of the year: 500 days, with 20 hour days, with hours being a minute or two shorter than ours.

Shouldn't that be ~400 days? If the Rosharan year is 1.1 earth years that would be 401.5 days if a year means "one revolution around the sun." If they like things neat they may call it 400.  Or did I misread something?

The length of the day would also change the age comparison between Earth and Roshar when considering actual time alive.  Though over the course of years a minute or two shorter would add up, let's keep hours the same. So:

1 Roshar Year = 400 Days at 20 hours/day = 8030 Hours

1 Earth Year = 365 Days at 24 hours/day = 8760 Hours

So even though the year is longer in days, the year itself is shorter in overall time making people on Roshar younger than people of the same "age" on Earth. Length in hours of Rosharan Year is 8030/8760 or .917 Earth years if the exact 1.1 Earth years is used and a year means the same thing.

So, if Kaladin is 22 Rosharan years old, he has only been alive as long as a 20 years & 2 months old earthling. And if Dalinar is between 50 & 60 Rosharan, he would be between 45.85 & 55 earth years.

If the hour is 1 minute shorter on Roshar the ratio becomes .901.  At 2 minutes shorter .886.

So hours/minutes had already been taken into account when you said "A Roshar year is 1.1 Earth years"?

My mistake, when I saw that I was thinking "year = revolution around sun"

Roshar has unpredictable seasons (the only predictable 'season' is the Weeping and that's a lack of highstorms). There's no way to know how long a revolution around the sun is for Roshar.

I'm not sure what this says about the planet's tilt. Seasons are magical like Westeros, I suppose? There's probably a pattern we could dig into if we had enough data, but I suspect Brandon isn't about to give us ten thousand years worth of climate data.

Edited by Moogle