Aether

Shouldn't that be ~400 days? If the Rosharan year is 1.1 earth years that would be 401.5 days if a year means "one revolution around the sun."

*IF*

Rosharian year = Weeping to Weeping = possibly some astronomy, but I'd rather bet on conjunction with whatever shardic planet there is nearby or something like that, not just a 360 degrees round the sun. Seasons are irregular, so they don't help.

Which means that years in ancient times (Heraldic?) may have had different lengths. Do we know, how longa ago Weepings or Highstorms in general bagun?

Also: I support the "longer lifespan" camp, also later adolescence. Shallan behaves more 17 than 19 (yest, thare is a difference, at least for me it was ;)), and I don't see Szeth as 40 years old.

Maybe age is a just cognitive thing, every human group in Cosmere having the same / very similar lifespan in years, because it depends on numbers, not on objective amount of time? :D (half-joking here)

Edited by Eri

Under the WoK spoiler tag why are Dalinar and Navini crossed out? Do they die? and if they do that should be a spoiler for WoR not WoK

They are crossed out because those ages are incorrect and we dont know the correct ages to replace them with. It has nothing to do with their survival.

So after I've made false assumptions here I found myself contradicted as I wrote here.

The rise of the Hierocracy was five hundred years prior to TWoK and surely has no effect on the current calendar.

@Delightful: If you did a double post you can hit the "hide" button to make the redundant post vanish. :)

edit for clarity, you do not have to edit that post first.

Edited by Meg

• 1 month later...

Completely wrong on the date I counted from. I've made a new post further down with the correct information. Original (and wrong) post contained within the spoiler tags.

***WARNING!!!! THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS for the Words of Radiance. Due to the nature of the discussion and the subject, I find it unnecessary to include spoiler tags for every bit of trivia from the book, SO PROCEDE BEYOND THIS SENTENCE AT YOUR OWN RISK.***

EDIT: Seems like I've been counting from the wrong date. I didn't think of the fact that the end of the Words of Radiance happens during the Weeping, which is at the end of the year, thus the date Shashpales is completely wrong. I'll redo the calculations when I'm able to work out the correct chronology.

I'll try to update my  List with the new information gleamed from the Words of Radiance. I could, however, use some help in determining the chronology and ferret out any new information about the ages of the characters that might have showed up during the book. I would love some confirmation from Peter on this (especially on the names of the dates, which I found fun to try and guess), but I believe that the exact date of the ending of tWoR is rather easy to come by (as opposed to the date of the ending of tWoK which was unreasonably convoluted):

“The love of men is a frigid thing, a mountain stream only three steps from the ice. We are his. Oh Stormfather…we are his. It is but a thousand days, and the Everstorm comes.” 

- Collected on the first day of the week Palah of the month Shash of the year 1171, thirty-one seconds before death. Subject was a darkeyed pregnant woman of middle years. The child did not survive.

- The Way of Kings, epigraph of the Prologue: "to Kill", page 21 of the Tor hard-cover. (my bold and italic lettering)

Assuming the Death Chant (I refuse to call it Death Rattle) is correct, and that it is indeed referring to the arrival of the Everstorm summoned by the Parshendi, this puts the exact date of that event at Shashpales (Shashpaljes? Shashpalahjes?) in the year 1173 [1173-6-5-1]. Given the following narration from the last numbered chapter of the Words of Radiance, the exact date then of the end of the book would be a week later at Shashashes [1173-6-6-1], unless it is an approximate week (as in five to seven-ish days) and not exactly five days.

A week had passed since they arrived at this place (...). 

- From the Way of Kings, chapter 89: "The Four", page 1066 of the Tor hard-cover.

I believe it is possible to work out the approximate date of the Way of Kings from this information. The bulk of the Words of Radiance happens during the sixty-two days prophesied by Dalinar in chapter four: "Taker of Secrets" (page 80 of the Tor hard-cover), counting down to the arrival of the Everstorm. This would put this day on Palachev [1173-5-3-4]. Now, I have no idea how Shallan's chapters (chapter one and three) fit into the timetable, but I believe I remember reading that Kaladin's chapter starts the very next day after being promoted to a Captain by Dalinar, which happened the in the evening of the same day as the Battle at the Tower. "A short time later" after Dalinar unwittingly prophesied the Everstorm, Kaladin mentions having been "one week at the job" (the following page). This puts the beginning of tWoR and the end-date of tWoK at exactly Palanev [1173-5-2-4], again assuming he means an exact week, and not an approximate one.

Now, since only a bit over a month has passed, there is little need to update my calculations of the character ages, but it would be nice to be able to include a rigorous time-line in my original list, so I need help confirming my observations and conjectures. I also need help to find anything new that might have showed up, and I'd like to include more characters, such as Sebarial, Gaz and anyone else whose age might have been mentioned.

TL; DR: Please help to confirm my calculations and to find any new information about character ages given in tWoR.

Edited by Aether

***WARNING!!!! THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS for the Words of Radiance. Due to the nature of the discussion and the subject, I find it unnecessary to include spoiler tags for every bit of trivia from the book, SO PROCEDE BEYOND THIS SENTENCE AT YOUR OWN RISK.***

I'll try to update my  List™ with the new information gleamed from the Words of Radiance. I could, however, use some help in determining the chronology and ferret out any new information about the ages of the characters that might have showed up during the book. I would love some confirmation from Peter on this (especially on the names of the dates, which I found fun to try and guess), but I believe that the exact date of the ending of tWoR is rather easy to come by (as opposed to the date of the ending of tWoK which was unreasonably convoluted):

Assuming the Death Chant (I refuse to call it Death Rattle) is correct, and that it is indeed referring to the arrival of the Everstorm summoned by the Parshendi, this puts the exact date of that event at Shashpales (Shashpaljes? Shashpalahjes?) in the year 1173 [1173-6-5-1]. Given the following narration from the last numbered chapter of the Words of Radiance, the exact date then of the end of the book would be a week later at Shashashes [1173-6-6-1], unless it is an approximate week (as in five to seven-ish days) and not exactly five days.

I believe it is possible to work out the approximate date of the Way of Kings from this information. The bulk of the Words of Radiance happens during the sixty-two days prophesied by Dalinar in chapter four: "Taker of Secrets" (page 80 of the Tor hard-cover), counting down to the arrival of the Everstorm. This would put this day on Palachev [1173-5-3-4]. Now, I have no idea how Shallan's chapters (chapter one and three) fit into the timetable, but I believe I remember reading that Kaladin's chapter starts the very next day after being promoted to a Captain by Dalinar, which happened the in the evening of the same day as the Battle at the Tower. "A short time later" after Dalinar unwittingly prophesied the Everstorm, Kaladin mentions having been "one week at the job" (the following page). This puts the beginning of WoR and the end-date of tWoK at exactly Palanev [1173-5-2-4], again assuming he means an exact week, and not an approximate one.

Now, since only a bit over a month has passed, there is little need to update my calculations of the character ages, but it would be nice to be able to include a rigorous time-line in my original list, so I need help confirming my observations and conjectures. I also need help to find anything new that might have showed up, and I'd like to include more characters, such as Sebarial, Gaz and anyone else whose age might have been mentioned.

TL; DR: Please help to confirm my calculations and to find any new information about character ages given in tWoR.

The actual name would be Shashahes (Shash-ah-es). But anyway those dates are all inaccurate. The battle of the Tower takes place in the month Tanat, and WoR ends just after the first day of the new year with the Everstorm being summoned during the last week of the old year. CheeseNinja has put together an excellent timeline here.

The actual name would be Shashahes (Shash-ah-es). But anyway those dates are all inaccurate. The battle of the Tower takes place in the month Tanat, and WoR ends just after the first day of the new year with the Everstorm being summoned during the last week of the old year. CheeseNinja has put together an excellent timeline here.

Yeah, I was notified about this through a PM myself. I'm working on updating my post with the correct dates, but I'd like to include the source material indicating the correct dates. Do you know in which Thread this was worked out?

Yeah, I was notified about this through a PM myself. I'm working on updating my post with the correct dates, but I'd like to include the source material indicating the correct dates. Do you know in which Thread this was worked out?

I think it is this one.

Permitting myself to make a new post with the updated information, even though it is somewhat similar to the previous one. All hail Cheese Ninja for having worked out the correct time-line.

I'll try to update my  List with the new information gleamed from the Words of Radiance. I could, however, use some help in determining the chronology and ferret out any new information about the ages of the characters that might have showed up during the book. Fortunately, the exact date of the ending of tWoR is rather easy to come by (as opposed to the date of the ending of tWoK which was unreasonably convoluted).

The bulk of the Words of Radiance happens during the sixty-two days prophesied by Dalinar in chapter four: "Taker of Secrets" (page 80 of the Tor hard-cover), counting down to the arrival of the Everstorm. Navani gives the date at the end of the count-down later in the book:

"Thirty-two days?" Navani asked. "That will be in the middle of the Weeping. Thirty two days won't even be the exact end of the year, but two days ahead of it."

- From the Words of Radiance, chapter 50: "Uncut Gems", page 589 of the Tor hard-cover.

As worked out by Cheese Ninja, this would be referencing Ishishach [1173-10-10-3], as the end of the year would be Ishishah [1173-10-10-5].

This would put the day of Dalinar's scratchings on Tanatakes [1173-9-8-1]. Now, I have no idea how Shallan's chapters (chapter one and three) fit into the timetable, but I believe I remember reading that Kaladin's chapter (2) starts the very next day after being promoted to a Captain by Dalinar, which happened in the evening of the same day as the Battle at the Tower. "A short time later" after Dalinar unwittingly prophesied the Everstorm, Kaladin mentions having been "one week at the job" (the following page). This puts the beginning of tWoR at exactly Tanataban [1173-9-7-2], assuming he means an exact week, and not an approximate one, and that he's counting that day as part of the said week. This puts the end of the Way of Kings, the day before, at Tanatabes [1173-9-7-1].

The Words of Radiance ends some time after the defeat of the Parshendi, on the day that Dalinar becomes a Bondsmith (not counting the Epilogue):

A week had passed since they arrived at this place (...). 

- From the Way of Kings, chapter 89: "The Four", page 1066 of the Tor hard-cover.

This puts the end-date of tWoR at Jesesach [1174-1-1-3].

Now, since only a bit over a month has passed, one would assume that there is little need to update my calculations of the character ages, but in my original post I postulated that they were all born on Jeseses of whatever year they were born [XXXX-1-1-1], since the exact dates of their births were unknown anyway. Given that we've now moved from year 1173 to 1174, they will all be considered a year older.

It would also be nice to be able to include a rigorous time-line in my original list, so I need help confirming my observations and conjectures. I also need help to find anything new that might have showed up, and I'd like to include more characters, such as Sebarial, Gaz and anyone else whose age might have been mentioned. And if anyone's birthday is actually reference and if I'm able to work out the exact date from that, I'll redo the calculations for that character.

Edited by Aether

I have updated my List for the end of the Words of Radiance (though minor tweaks are incoming). I have included another minor list with hints at their exact ages, but there isn't much to go on at all.

But with the Words of Radiance given us a time-frame with exact dates, I feel like it should be easy to include even more characters with their ages and respective year of births, but I didn't spot anything new during my reread, or at least not anything that I remembered to write down. The new characters I feel like we should be able to include, though, are as follows:

• Eshonai
  • Moash
  • Dalinar (I am sure I remember him referencing his age at some point)
  • Navani
  • Ialai
  • The rest of the Davars (I skipped all of the flashback chapters. I'll read them tomorrow and see if I can't find anything referencing the age differences between the siblings.
Edited by Aether

Permitting myself to double post just to keep the list of what I need help with separate from the list of findings.

Davar, Shallan:

•      "I am seventeen," Shallan said dryly.

- From the Words of Radiance, chapter 40: "Palona", page 458 of the Tor hard-cover.

The exact date of this event is Ishaches [1173-10-3-1], which obviously puts her date of birth somewhere before this day. <source>

Kaladin:

• Just recently, Kaladin had realized that he'd passed his twentieth birthday while a bridgeman, and never known it.

- From the Words of Radiance, chapter 16: "Swordmaster", page 240 of the Tor hard-cover.

This puts his birthday somewhere after the middle of the year. Given that he arrived at the Shattered somewhere around month Betab or Kak (7 or 8), this should put his birthday somewhere between month Betab or Tanat (7 or 9). <source>

Kholin, Dalinar:

•      "We're the same age, Sadeas." Dalinar noted (...).

- From the Way of Kings, chapter 56: "That Storming Book", page 786 of the Tor hard-cover.

This puts Dalinar within a few years of Torol Sadeas.

• [Dalinar] was only in his fifties (...).

- From the Words of Radiance, chapter 83: "Time's Illusion", page 1003 of the Tor hard-cover.

This puts Dalinar in his fifties (duh!).

Sadeas, Torol:

• He imagined himself as a young man in his twenties. Now he was fifty. Storming fifty.

- From the Words of Radiance, chapter 5: "Ideals", page 88 of the Tor hard-cover.

Does anyone remember how we were able to place Sadeas' birth in year 1123 in the first place? Looking back through my notes, I can't seem to be able to find it, and it's not referenced on the Coppermind.

EDIT: Added Sadeas. Thanks Weiry. Decided to use this post to gather all information about the characters specific ages. Added Shallan and Dalinar.

Edited by Aether

Permitting myself to double post just to keep the list of what I need help with separate from the list of findings.

Dalinar:

• This puts Dalinar within a few years of Torol Sadeas.

• This puts Dalinar in his fifties (duh!).

Does anyone remember how we were able to place Sadeas' birth in year 1123 in the first place? Looking back through my notes, I can't seem to be able to find it, and it's not referenced on the Coppermind.

In Chapter 5 of WoR:

During the Sadeas viewpoint he mentions that he is fifty years old, and he is not happy about it.

In Chapter 5 of WoR:

During the Sadeas viewpoint he mentions that he is fifty years old, and he is not happy about it.

Great! We've had his year of birth since the Way of Kings, so I assume there should be a specific reference to his age there as too, but this'll work just as well. +1

Edited by Aether

It's a great list, but there is just one thing that bothers me, why it says that Kaladin is 21 and Shallan is 18, when even the references you've put says they are 20 and 17. While there is the tiny chance that in the last part of the book Shallan had her birthday, which she unlikely forgot, Kaladin definitely didn't had his, given it was at some point during WoK.

It's a great list, but there is just one thing that bothers me, why it says that Kaladin is 21 and Shallan is 18, when even the references you've put says they are 20 and 17. While there is the tiny chance that in the last part of the book Shallan had her birthday, which she unlikely forgot, Kaladin definitely didn't had his, given it was at some point during WoK.

I explained this in my original post:

Since we do not know the exact birth-dates of most of the characters, I will for the sake of approximation just assume that they were all born on the first day of the year (Jeseses). A lot of the characters are currently of an unknown age.

Until I get an exact date for the individual characters, I'll continue to assume that they were all born on Lightday. I should probably make an exception for Kaladin now, though, since we know he was born in the latter half of the year.

• Chaos locked this topic