The Art of Game Creation

Metacognition

Yea I'm not saying don't include the mechanic or even necessarily to make it harder if you think the difficulty level is good. It is a fun goal to aim for even if nobody hits it, and I'll believe you if you say it's difficult-but-possible, I haven't really done the math.

Alls I'm saying is, I personally would never bet against the determination of certain players to find a way to shoot the moon :ph34r:

20 minutes ago, DrakeMarshall said:

"After" plotting to take over implies that there is a point in time when the plotting stops :ph34r:

Spoiler

image.png

But yes - I'd generally argue it's good to give players something to aim for and as long as Fierce Deity isn't easily obtainable, nothing wrong.

1 minute ago, Amanuensis said:

How do you all feel about the Postman’s Hat allowing the wearer to read PMs? Since they earn all rupees spent on messages, they effectively have infinite PMs which honestly might be powerful enough. Been a question on my mind

Generally dislike that idea and think it's a lot of work for the GMs, feel the Übertin question should be asked in the Discord as people with longer memories than me might know how great an idea it is otherwise. Tbf it could be worse; if the players know it's coming, then yeah.

2 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

How do you all feel about the Postman’s Hat allowing the wearer to read PMs? Since they earn all rupees spent on messages, they effectively have infinite PMs which honestly might be powerful enough. Been a question on my mind

I hadn’t even thought about that. An elim with that hat would make so much extra money as well. Especially if the elims intentionally make a lot of PMs so their money goes to the elim with the postman hat.

2 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Generally dislike that idea and think it's a lot of work for the GMs, feel the Übertin question should be asked in the Discord as people with longer memories than me might know how great an idea it is otherwise. Tbf it could be worse; if the players know it's coming, then yeah.

I don’t think it’d be too much work for me, since I’ll have to send PMs manually through the GM PMs anyway and can paste them into a spoiler for the Postman. But it does mean the villagers will likely be reluctant to use them or too careful with the information they would otherwise provide in secret (like mask and action claims). I kinda liked the dilemma that presented at first but now less so.

Just now, StrikerEZ said:

I hadn’t even thought about that. An elim with that hat would make so much extra money as well. Especially if the elims intentionally make a lot of PMs so their money goes to the elim with the postman hat.

Especially because of this. Rupees can’t be traded otherwise but this plan works unless I limit the number of PMs that can be sent a turn.

Yeah, in retrospect, the combination is definitely too much

I have another game that I think is fully conceptualized? It’s Secret Project 1 related so it will be put in a spoiler and most of the flavor is minimized. Very curious to hear peoples thoughts on how it can improve

Spoiler

LGXX: A Tale of Rats and Spores

Premise

Takes place 10 years after the events of Secret Project 1 aboard The Rat’s Tale—a sprouter training institution and ship that teaches recruits how to manipulate spores and sail the Twelve Seas. Every player is thus a Sprouter by default, though they are divided into ranks; the majority Novices with several Apprentices and 2-4 Masters, depending on player count. Each Apprentice has a PM with their assigned Master & Masters share a doc in which they can discuss the game. Ranks can be increased via consistent active participation.

Factions

Royal Loyalists win upon killing all Midnight Cultists.

Midnights Cultists win upon reaching parity with the Royal Loyalists.

Cycles

48 Hour Days. D1 will not have an execution, but from D2 onward, a player must be voted out to walk the plank. During every day, there will be X-X/4 (where x = players) spores available to claim from the Stores (other than Zephyr, which is infinite). Every rank can only claim 2 spores a day.

24 Hour Nights. All players have access to 3 actions: Study (doubles your xp gain for that cycle), Prepare Bullet (most spores require preparation to use + 5xp), and Sprout (action depends on which spores are used and rank + 5xp). Cultists have access to an untraceable, unblockable kill (barring Roseite protection)—counts as Midnight.

Sprouting

All Zephyr Bullets need 1 of each Spore. Roseite and Midnight require 1 additional spore for every tier of ability.

Verdant / Zephyr Spores:

• Novice: Roleblock target.

• Apprentice: Roleblock target and whoever they target.

• Master: Roleblock target, whoever they target, and whoever targets them.

• Expert: Imprison a player until you decide to release them. They can still post but cannot vote, use actions, or be targeted by actions.

Sunlight / Zephyr Spores:

• Novice: Discover target’s target.

• Apprentice: Discover target’s target and action.

• Master: Reveals target’s target and action in thread.

• Expert: Reveals target’s alignment in thread.

Crimson / Zephyr:

• Novice: Wound self. You will fail to prepare this into a bullet.

• Apprentice: Wound target. Requires ½ of active players to vote and heal.

• Master: Fatally wound a target. Requires ¾ of active players to vote and heal.

• Expert: Kill!

Roseite: 

• Novice: Shield yourself with crystal, protecting you from one action.

• Apprentice: Shield another player and yourself, protecting both from one action.

• Master: Shield another player or yourself, protecting from all actions.

• Expert: Shield another player and yourself, protecting from all actions.

Midnight: 

• Novice: Investigate target’s stock. Cannot be Detected or Blocked.

• Apprentice: Steal one random spore or bullet from target’s stock. CbDoB.

• Master: Steal two random spores or bullets from target’s stock. CbDoB.

• Expert: Steal all spores or bullets from target’s stock. CbDoB.

Experience and Promotions

Every cycle, players can earn 10xp via active participation (5 for 5 discussion posts, 5 for 5 roleplay posts—can be in 5 posts total or separate). Studying doubles the amount of xp gained (6 to 12, 9 to 18, etc). Preparing Bullets, Sprouting, and Cultist Kills earn 5xp. This means the max any player can get is 20 with Studying or 15 with a night action. When a player hits a certain experience level, they will automatically be promoted the next Day. Promotions will be announced and updated in the player list.

• Novices promote to Apprentice upon earning 50xp. Masters then must decide in their doc who they will take under their wing and PMs will be opened during the Night.

• Apprentices promote to Master upon earning 60xp. A new Master Doc will be made in which the old Masters must give up a single Apprentice PM for each newcomer.

• Masters promote to Expert upon earning 70xp. At any point they can declare which spore specialization they want to focus on. From then on all activity xp counts for this, but only actions involving the relevant spore will earn xp.

OoA

Roseite > Midnight / Cultist Kill > Verdant > Crimson > Sunlight > Prepare Bullet

Bonus Optional Role

•  King’s Mask: Begins the game as an Expert for all spores. Can belong to either alignment.

ED1T:

Will likely have to modify numbers like how many spores available a cycle but yeah

Edited by Amanuensis

23 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

I have another game that I think is fully conceptualized? It’s Secret Project 1 related so it will be put in a spoiler and most of the flavor is minimized. Very curious to hear peoples thoughts on how it can improve

Reveal hidden contents

LGXX: A Tale of Rats and Spores

Premise

Takes place 10 years after the events of Secret Project 1 aboard The Rat’s Tale—a sprouter training institution and ship that teaches recruits how to manipulate spores and sail the Twelve Seas. Every player is thus a Sprouter by default, though they are divided into ranks; the majority Novices with several Apprentices and 2-4 Masters, depending on player count. Each Apprentice has a PM with their assigned Master & Masters share a doc in which they can discuss the game. Ranks can be increased via consistent active participation.

Factions

Royal Loyalists win upon killing all Midnight Cultists.

Midnights Cultists win upon reaching parity with the Royal Loyalists.

Cycles

48 Hour Days. D1 will not have an execution, but from D2 onward, a player must be voted out to walk the plank. During every day, there will be X-X/4 (where x = players) spores available to claim from the Stores (other than Zephyr, which is infinite). Every rank can only claim 2 spores a day.

24 Hour Nights. All players have access to 3 actions: Study (doubles your xp gain for that cycle), Prepare Bullet (most spores require preparation to use + 5xp), and Sprout (action depends on which spores are used and rank + 5xp). Cultists have access to an untraceable, unblockable kill (barring Roseite protection)—counts as Midnight.

Sprouting

All Zephyr Bullets need 1 of each Spore. Roseite and Midnight require 1 additional spore for every tier of ability.

Verdant / Zephyr Spores:

• Novice: Roleblock target.

• Apprentice: Roleblock target and whoever they target.

• Master: Roleblock target, whoever they target, and whoever targets them.

• Expert: Imprison a player until you decide to release them. They can still post but cannot vote, use actions, or be targeted by actions.

Sunlight / Zephyr Spores:

• Novice: Discover target’s target.

• Apprentice: Discover target’s target and action.

• Master: Reveals target’s target and action in thread.

• Expert: Reveals target’s alignment in thread.

Crimson / Zephyr:

• Novice: Wound self. You will fail to prepare this into a bullet.

• Apprentice: Wound target. Requires ½ of active players to vote and heal.

• Master: Fatally wound a target. Requires ¾ of active players to vote and heal.

• Expert: Kill!

Roseite: 

• Novice: Shield yourself with crystal, protecting you from one action.

• Apprentice: Shield another player and yourself, protecting both from one action.

• Master: Shield another player or yourself, protecting from all actions.

• Expert: Shield another player and yourself, protecting from all actions.

Midnight: 

• Novice: Investigate target’s stock. Cannot be Detected or Blocked.

• Apprentice: Steal one random spore or bullet from target’s stock. CbDoB.

• Master: Steal two random spores or bullets from target’s stock. CbDoB.

• Expert: Steal all spores or bullets from target’s stock. CbDoB.

Experience and Promotions

Every cycle, players can earn 10xp via active participation (5 for 5 discussion posts, 5 for 5 roleplay posts—can be in 5 posts total or separate). Studying doubles the amount of xp gained (6 to 12, 9 to 18, etc). Preparing Bullets, Sprouting, and Cultist Kills earn 5xp. This means the max any player can get is 20 with Studying or 15 with a night action. When a player hits a certain experience level, they will automatically be promoted the next Day. Promotions will be announced and updated in the player list.

• Novices promote to Apprentice upon earning 50xp. Masters then must decide in their doc who they will take under their wing and PMs will be opened during the Night.

• Apprentices promote to Master upon earning 60xp. A new Master Doc will be made in which the old Masters must give up a single Apprentice PM for each newcomer.

• Masters promote to Expert upon earning 70xp. At any point they can declare which spore specialization they want to focus on. From then on all activity xp counts for this, but only actions involving the relevant spore will earn xp.

OoA

Roseite > Midnight / Cultist Kill > Verdant > Crimson > Sunlight > Prepare Bullet

Bonus Optional Role

•  King’s Mask: Begins the game as an Expert for all spores. Can belong to either alignment.

ED1T:

Will likely have to modify numbers like how many spores available a cycle but yeah

I would die to test this :P

Spoiler

One question, but if there were 12 people then there would be 9 spores of each type?

Edited by The Wandering Wizard

2 hours ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

I would die to test this :P

One question, but if there were 12 people then there would be 9 spores of each type?

Spoiler

9 total divided among the different types (i.e. 2 verdant, 1 sunlight, 2 crimson, 2 roseite, 2 midnight). But I might have to play around with the exact number for balance's sake before it runs.

4 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

(May want to spoiler that second part)

It looks fun!

Hide contents

One thought - is there an action limit? Ie will someone using the Untrackable kill be tracked as not using any actions, always?

Spoiler

Just one action a night. If Sunlight is used on someone Studying, Preparing a Bullet, using Midnight, or committing the Cultist Kill, the same result is returned: "Target did not leave their cabin."

Edited by Amanuensis

• 2 weeks later...

So I had an idea for an "action madness" game.

LGXX: Whoops, All Mistborn
(title not final)

Spoiler

Congratulations! You've just Snapped into your powers as a Mistborn. You've been dreaming of this for years, but never imagined it could become a reality. Now you get to join the secret Mistborn club, and wear a cool cloak, and fly and-

But wait! Skaa riots have disrupted the supply chains of many of the metals you depend upon. Even worse, it seems like someone is targeting and eliminating your fellow Mistborn one by one- and from the reports, it seems clear it can only be another Mistborn. Maybe Snapping now wasn't such a windfall after all...

Players will either be Noble Mistborn or Skaa Mistborn. The Nobles win when all the Skaa have been eliminated, and the Skaa win when they outnumber the Nobles.

Days will be 48 hours and Nights will be 24 hours. There will be a public execution every day, with no vote minimum. All ties will be resolved randomly.

During the day, a number of metal vials will be available for sale. Players may purchase as many vials as they are able. They may also pay more than the vial is worth; if more people wish to buy a certain metal then there are vials available, priority will be given to those who paid the most. Every 100 words that a player posts will earn them one boxing, and boxings may be spent in the same turn they are earned. Additional metal vials will be available on the Black Market (including metals not available elsewhere), which only Skaa have access to.

During the night, players may use their metal vials to perform actions. Players have, by default, one action per turn: however, if that action is a mobility action  (steel, iron, or pewter), they may instead take as many actions as they are able. Players may order their actions however they like. There is no OoA: instead, actions will all happen simultaneously in order (so everyone's first action will happen at once, then everyone's second action, etc.) If an action gathers information, players may make subsequent actions in the same turn conditional upon that information. If an action takes effect "for the rest of the night" it applies to any simultaneous actions as well as all subsequent ones.

Metals (Prices subject to change)

Spoiler
  • Pewter (3 boxings): Pewter grants you strength and stamina, allowing you to move around with ease. If you burn pewter, you make take as many actions as you like. In addition, for the rest of the night, if you are attacked, you will die at the end of the night instead of immediately.
  • Steel (4 boxings): Steel allows you to Push yourself through the air. If you burn steel, you may take as many actions as you like. You may target a player to have one of their unused metal vials randomly reassigned to another player. If they have none, 5 boxings are randomly reassigned instead.
  • Iron (5 boxings): Iron allows you to Pull yourself through the air. If you burn iron, you may take as many actions as you like. You may target a player to steal one of their unused metal vials at random. If they have none, you instead steal 5 boxings.
  • Tin (10 boxings): Tin enhances your vision, letting you see through the mists. You may target a player to learn either who they target OR who targets them for the rest of the night.
  • Copper (10 boxings): Copper hides your own burning of metals and renders you immune to emotional Allomancy. For the rest of the night, zinc, brass, and copper will not work on you.
  • Zinc (10 boxings): Zinc inflames the emotions of others, causing them to behave unpredictably. You may target a player to randomize their targets for the rest of the night.
  • Brass (10 boxings): Brass relaxes the emotions of others, reducing their willingness to act. You may target a player to cause them to take no actions for the rest of the night. (Any metal charges will be refunded.)
  • Bronze (15 boxings): Bronze lets you hear others burning metal. You may target a player to learn what metals they burn for the rest of the night.
  • Atium (20 boxings): Atium is the metal of Ruin, enabling you to kill with ease. You may eliminate a player.
  • Gold (20 boxings): Gold lets you see your own past, prompting introspection. What purpose this could serve seems unclear.

Black Market Only Metals

• Electrum (5 boxings): Electrum lets you see your own atium shadows, cancelling out said metal's oracular effects. When burning electrum, you are immune to atium for the rest of the night.
  • Aluminum (10 boxings): When burned, destroys all metal reserves. Only useful if you can trick someone else into burning it. You may target a player to slip aluminum into their vials. All actions taken by the player that night will fail, and their metal charges will be used up. Takes place before all other actions, and does not use up your action slot. Will only work once against each player.
  • Duralumin (10 boxings): When burned, consumes all currently burned metal in a flash of power. Used simultaneously with another metal, and consumes an additional vial of that metal in order to produce a more powerful effect.
    • Pewter: Become immune to death for the rest of the night.
    • Steel: Randomly reassign all of the target's unused metal vials and 10 boxings to other players.
    • Iron: Steal all of the target's unused metal vials and 10 boxings.
    • Tin: Allows you to watch two players instead of one.
    • Copper: Renders another player immune to zinc, brass, and copper as well.
    • Zinc: Allows you to choose a player whom your target will target for the rest of the night.
    • Brass: Target will be unable to take actions on the following turn as well.
    • Bronze: Allows you to pierce copperclouds.
    • Atium: Grants vision into the Spiritual Realm (aka the GM Spreadsheet), letting you know everything that has happened up to this point.
    • Electrum: Become immune to iron and steel as well.
  • Malatium (20 boxings): The mysterious Eleventh Metal.

The Skaa kill cannot be roleblocked, redirected, or scanned. If the player submitting the kill is tracked by Tin, or by Bronze when not burning Copper, the action will move to the end of the player's list so as to avoid detection.

The thought of GMing this game simultaneously horrifies and intrigues me.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, TheAlpha929 said:

I want to play SE at some point. I’ve been looking for a new one, and this seems cool but complicated. If you make it I would like to join if people will tolerate me and my noobness 

If you want I can link you to the sign-ups for the current game that is going to run soon. Or there should be the LG going up soon if you want to join that one instead.

That would be great, thanks

edit: wait is it QF65 Murder in the Cosmere?

16 minutes ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

If you want I can link you to the sign-ups for the current game that is going to run soon. Or there should be the LG going up soon if you want to join that one instead.

Edited by TheAlpha929

I made some updates to my "action madness" game.

LGXX: Whoops, All Mistborn
(title not final)

Spoiler

Congratulations! You've just Snapped into your powers as a Mistborn. You've been dreaming of this for years, but never imagined it could become a reality. Now you get to join the secret Mistborn club, and wear a cool cloak, and fly and-

But wait! Skaa riots have disrupted the supply chains of many of the metals you depend upon. Even worse, it seems like someone is targeting and eliminating your fellow Mistborn one by one- and from the reports, it seems clear it can only be another Mistborn. Maybe Snapping now wasn't as fortunate as it first appeared...

Players will either be Noble Mistborn or Skaa Mistborn. The Nobles win when all the Skaa have been eliminated, and the Skaa win when they outnumber the Nobles.

Days will be 48 hours and Nights will be 24 hours. There will be a public execution every day, with no vote minimum. All ties will be resolved randomly.

During the day, a number of metal vials will be available for sale. Players may purchase as many vials as they are able. They may also pay more than the vial is worth; if more people wish to buy a certain metal then there are vials available, priority will be given to those who paid the most. Every 100 words that a player posts will earn them one boxing, and boxings may be spent in the same turn they are earned. Additional metal vials will be available on the Black Market (including metals not available elsewhere), which only Skaa have access to.

During the night, players may use their metal vials to perform actions. Players have, by default, one action per turn: however, if that action is a mobility action  (steel, iron, or pewter), they may instead take as many actions as they are able. The Skaa have access to a team kill, which is an action. Players may order their actions however they like. There is no OoA: instead, actions will all happen simultaneously in order (so everyone's first action will happen at once, then everyone's second action, etc.) If an action gathers information, players may make subsequent actions in the same turn conditional upon that information. If an action takes effect "for the rest of the night" it applies to any simultaneous actions as well as all subsequent ones.

Players may trade boxings and metal vials among themselves during the day. They may also will their possessions to another player. Upon death, the beneficiary of a player- if any - will be publicly revealed. If there is none, the dead player's possessions will be reassigned randomly instead.

Metals (Prices subject to change)

Spoiler
  • Pewter (3 boxings): Pewter grants you strength and stamina, allowing you to move around with ease. If you burn pewter, you make take as many actions as you like. In addition, for the rest of the night, if you are attacked, you will die at the end of the night instead of immediately.
  • Steel (3 boxings): Steel allows you to Push yourself through the air. If you burn steel, you may take as many actions as you like. You may target a player to have one of their unused metal vials randomly reassigned to another player. If they have none, 5 boxings are randomly reassigned instead.
  • Iron (3 boxings): Iron allows you to Pull yourself through the air. If you burn iron, you may take as many actions as you like. You may target a player to steal one of their unused metal vials at random. If they have none, you instead steal 5 boxings.
  • Tin (10 boxings): Tin enhances your vision, letting you see through the mists. You may target a player to learn either who they target OR who targets them for the rest of the night.
  • Copper (10 boxings): Copper hides your own burning of metals and renders you immune to emotional Allomancy. For the rest of the night, zinc, brass, and copper will not work on you.
  • Zinc (10 boxings): Zinc inflames the emotions of others, causing them to behave unpredictably. You may target a player to randomize their targets for the rest of the night.
  • Brass (10 boxings): Brass relaxes the emotions of others, reducing their willingness to act. You may target a player to cause them to take no actions for the rest of the night. (Any metal charges will be refunded.)
  • Bronze (15 boxings): Bronze lets you hear others burning metal. You may target a player to learn what metals they burn for the rest of the night.
  • Atium (20 boxings): Atium is the metal of Ruin, enabling you to kill with ease. You may eliminate a player.
  • Gold (20 boxings): Gold lets you see your own past, prompting introspection. What purpose this could serve seems unclear.

Black Market Only Metals

• Electrum (5 boxings): Electrum lets you see your own atium shadows, cancelling out said metal's oracular effects. When burning electrum, you are immune to atium for the rest of the night.
  • Aluminum (10 boxings): When burned, destroys all metal reserves. Only useful if you can trick someone else into burning it. You may target a player to slip aluminum into their vials. All actions taken by the player that night will fail, and their metal charges will be used up. Takes place before all other actions, and does not use up your action slot. Will only work once against each player.
  • Duralumin (10 boxings): When burned, consumes all currently burned metal in a flash of power. Used simultaneously with another metal, and consumes an additional vial of that metal in order to produce a more powerful effect.
    • Pewter: Become immune to death for the rest of the night.
    • Steel: Randomly reassign all of the target's unused metal vials and 10 boxings to other players.
    • Iron: Steal all of the target's unused metal vials and 10 boxings.
    • Tin: See the nature of the actions you witness in addition to their target/source: attack for iron/steel, watch for tin/bronze, influence for zinc/brass, boost for pewter/copper/gold and kill for atium/Skaa kill.
    • Copper: Renders another player immune to zinc, brass, and copper as well.
    • Zinc: Allows you to choose a player whom your target will target for the rest of the night.
    • Brass: Target will also be unable to earn money or purchase vials on the following turn.
    • Bronze: Allows you to pierce copperclouds.
    • Atium: Grants vision into the Spiritual Realm (aka the GM Spreadsheet), letting you know everything that has happened up to this point.
    • Electrum: Become immune to iron and steel as well.
  • Malatium (20 boxings): The mysterious Eleventh Metal.

Savantism

Spoiler

If a player has taken ten of the same metal action during the game, they become a savant of that metal. Any time you burn a metal in which you are a savant, you gain the boosted effect (as listed under duralumin). The only exception is pewter savants, who instead gain an extra life. 

I also made a doc containing the rules. Futher updates will be made here.

Love the title :D. 

If someone's attacked but survives, that'll be announced but not why?

I feel like Skaa-aligned Mistborn would make more sense. If, in world, there's an obvious class difference between the classes, it'd be easy to tell who is on which side. 

Post spam is a thing. There's been ways of doing word-count rewards that have checks and balances - look into them. Figuring this part out is very important. Maybe consider having it so that the top earner can only earn X amount more than the second person - if they were set to earn more, they get capped out? Prevents one person from unilaterally game breaking.   

If I try to overspend the number of boxings I have, what happens? Just fail?

Players may make secondary bids that are conditional upon failing a bid; however, these will be evaluated after all primary bids.

What if my conditional bid is if I fail to win the bid on Item 1, I bid more for Item 1. I assume one bid/item to prevent this? Also, set up an order you're working through the bids in or something because this could get complicated. 

Is the Black Market publicly visible? 

There is no OoA

... you sure that works

If an action gathers information, players may make subsequent actions in the same turn conditional upon that information.

I don't trust vague wording like this not to be exploited :P.

I see you priced some things fairly highly. You're probably doing that to make them harder to get. Unless you make boxings hard to get (eg limits), everything will be in play always. Make sure that doesn't mess with your plan. 

Is there a secret rule happening with Gold? Malatium?

Are we told if we're targeted/succeed at actions?

Atium: Grants vision into the Spiritual Realm (aka the GM Spreadsheet), letting you know everything that has happened up to this point.

Interesting. 

If a player has taken ten of the same metal action during the game, they become a savant of that metal.

There's probably a way to game this with those unlimited actions/round metals. 

If a player does not create a will, the dead player's possessions will be reassigned randomly instead.

To a single player or multiple?

Players may trade boxings and metal vials among themselves during the day.

This happens at rollover? 

Is there any contingency shenanigans involved with passing/wills?

This is a GM's nightmare to keep track of, but that's not my problem. :D. Biggest advice is figure out a boxing mechanic that isn't spammable. 

13 hours ago, Archer said:

If someone's attacked but survives, that'll be announced but not why?

Yes. The write-up will say "<playername> was attacked, but survived!" (or "<playername> was killed!" if they weren't so lucky).

I feel like Skaa-aligned Mistborn would make more sense. If, in world, there's an obvious class difference between the classes, it'd be easy to tell who is on which side. 

...wasn't one of the main plot points of TFE a Skaa Mistborn infiltrating noble society?

If I try to overspend the number of boxings I have, what happens? Just fail?

If the number of boxings you have is enough to make the minimum bid price, it will adjust to the amount you actually have. (Just in case someone is trying to spend all of their boxings but maths incorrectly). (Money will be distributed in bids in the order they were submitted in the GM PM.)

What if my conditional bid is if I fail to win the bid on Item 1, I bid more for Item 1. I assume one bid/item to prevent this? Also, set up an order you're working through the bids in or something because this could get complicated.

Backup/secondary bids are evaluated after all primary bids. That is, all the metals will be distributed to the winners, and then backup bids are evaluated. If you fail a bid, that's because someone else purchased the item, so it makes no sense to bid for it again: it's already gone. 

... you sure that works

We'll see. :P I'm going to have to write a program to evaluate all of this, so if I wind up using an OoA I'll add it in.

I don't trust vague wording like this not to be exploited :P.

Well, if conditional actions do make it into the game, they'll be defined strictly in the evaluation program, and if players can exploit that it's fair game in my book. :P

14 hours ago, Archer said:

Is there a secret rule happening with Gold? Malatium?

Yes. :ph34r:

Are we told if we're targeted/succeed at actions?

You will be told who your action targeted, but not whether or not it was successful.

There's probably a way to game this with those unlimited actions/round metals. 

I might change the number required once I decide how many of each metal vial will be available each round. Ideally it will be something that's difficult, but achievable.

To a single player or multiple?

Multiple.

This happens at rollover? 

Yes.

Is there any contingency shenanigans involved with passing/wills?

As in, if Player 1 wills to Player 2, but both die in the same cycle? Then everything would go to whomever Player 2 wills to. If that somehow forms a closed loop, items would be reassigned randomly as though there were no will.

If you try to pass something to the player that gets executed, it fails. 

Post spam is a thing. There's been ways of doing word-count rewards that have checks and balances - look into them. Figuring this part out is very important. Maybe consider having it so that the top earner can only earn X amount more than the second person - if they were set to earn more, they get capped out? Prevents one person from unilaterally game breaking.

I could bring back response counts from my earlier game, where you score boxings for 100+ word responses to other players instead of each 100 words. I do want to encourage RP, though, so I might make that per 100 words (maybe up to a limit).

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

Here's a thing.

MR## - The Darkness Stares Back - Google Docs

It's kind of bonkers, but I think it works -- feedback??

So… the elims don’t have a kill, but instead a 2-time use ratio-sway? If the standard ratio is 5-4, and a vessel is created, do the elims win (because the new ratio would be 4-5) or does only the vessel ratio count, making it 4-1?

Does an Aspect who created a vessel get two accounts in the thread? Can they submit actions from either GM PM (provided the actions in question work with the initial role)?

12 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

So… the elims don’t have a kill, but instead a 2-time use ratio-sway? If the standard ratio is 5-4, and a vessel is created, do the elims win (because the new ratio would be 4-5) or does only the vessel ratio count, making it 4-1?

Each vessel counts towards the outnumber wincon, if that's what you mean, since each vessel votes individually

Edit: and it's not two-time use -- each Aspect starts out with two vessels (and no main account; the Aspect itself doesn't get an account). Then, every turn one of the Aspects can create a vessel.

12 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Does an Aspect who created a vessel get two accounts in the thread? Can they submit actions from either GM PM (provided the actions in question work with the initial role)?

Yes and yes. And each of their vessels gets an action every turn, too.

Edited by Szeth_Pancakes

8 minutes ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

Each vessel counts towards the outnumber wincon, if that's what you mean, since each vessel votes individually

Edit: and it's not two-time use -- each Aspect starts out with two vessels (and no main account; the Aspect itself doesn't get an account). Then, every turn one of the Aspects can create a vessel.

Ahhh I see, I thought the team had two as a whole. That makes more sense to me. Also missed the part about the Aspects not getting an account. 

Looks cool to me!