The Art of Game Creation

Metacognition

You need to make a lot of those Google Docs, but that's more time consuming than actually difficult. (I.e. the AG had... about 50 total world documents? 7-9 planets times 7 cycles).

Probably the thing that needs more work is to make sure everyone's in the right doc. But I think it's fine for results like that to be a little delayed / sent out after the writeup if it helps you to get them in accurately.

It's doable, but that kind of game would be greatly benefited by a co-GM so the GMs can multitask. 

6 hours ago, Quintessential said:

Hmmm as a general question (and I suspect the answer is no) are there enough people on this forum who've read the Broken Earth trilogy that I could run a game based on it at some point and get other reactions than just faint confusion? :P this is, of course, assuming I could get my hands on a game pass. 

I've read the Broken Earth trilogy. I know that Elbereth and Frozen Mint have both read at least part of it. Orlok might have read it as well. I think that if you're going to run a game based on it, at least do it just based on the first book rather than anything past it.

3 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

You need to make a lot of those Google Docs, but that's more time consuming than actually difficult. (I.e. the AG had... about 50 total world documents? 7-9 planets times 7 cycles).

Probably the thing that needs more work is to make sure everyone's in the right doc. But I think it's fine for results like that to be a little delayed / sent out after the writeup if it helps you to get them in accurately.

It's doable, but that kind of game would be greatly benefited by a co-GM so the GMs can multitask. 

This in general. Ash is right about the biggest issue being making sure everyone is in the right doc. Speed I would say is less important than being correct, since it's very hard to undo that. MR7 had four faction docs, three of which had to be changed every cycle, and to boot, I needed to lock the docs to Google Accounts so I had to invite the correct players each cycle, which got more fiddly. It's more tiresome than anything, but it depends on how many you want to do. Having a co-GM would definitely help.

• 3 weeks later...

F-Nicrosil is a bit like F-Copper, for what we know, in that you don't really get the ability to store over time. I think it's still a bit of a debate whether a Coinshot/Soulbearer Twinborn would store their ability to burn steel until they tap it again, which is mostly useless without some way of unkeying/unsealing the metalmind, or whether they would store the actual burning of steel which could let them tap to do... something. More powerful Steelpushes, or the ability to tap Nicrosil to perform a Steelpush without burning Steel.

Poking around on the Mistborn section of the Shard might yield more clues as to what a Soulbearer can do without access to other Investiture, but I think an only Nicrosil Ferring can't do anything kind of like a Duralumin Gnat.

14 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

F-Nicrosil is a bit like F-Copper, for what we know, in that you don't really get the ability to store over time. I think it's still a bit of a debate whether a Coinshot/Soulbearer Twinborn would store their ability to burn steel until they tap it again, which is mostly useless without some way of unkeying/unsealing the metalmind, or whether they would store the actual burning of steel which could let them tap to do... something. More powerful Steelpushes, or the ability to tap Nicrosil to perform a Steelpush without burning Steel.

Poking around on the Mistborn section of the Shard might yield more clues as to what a Soulbearer can do without access to other Investiture, but I think an only Nicrosil Ferring can't do anything kind of like a Duralumin Gnat.

I'm just making it affect votes and actions as "Investiture" like remove "Investiture" aka votes and actions when filling and add "Investiture" when tapping.

More ideas would be helpful.

I actually finished the rules for that ardentia game. I would greatly appreciate critiques, name suggestions [alternate names include "Ardentia: Civil War", "Sacrum Bellum", "Splinter Religion"], and other such commentary. [Sidenote: Devotary the player, I apologise, but in my defense, what else could I possibly name my roles in an ardentia game? Devotaries are literally the foundation of Vorinism. Callings? Glories? Maybe... Oh well, I already named them all.]

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L1d8JWRZV8BqjygoJHl1usy73MkAB3tjmV6izo2VZ0o/edit

Edited by Gears

7 hours ago, Gears said:

I actually finished the rules for that ardentia game. I would greatly appreciate critiques, name suggestions [alternate names include "Ardentia: Civil War", "Sacrum Bellum", "Splinter Religion"], and other such commentary. [Sidenote: Devotary the player, I apologise, but in my defense, what else could I possibly name my roles in an ardentia game? Devotaries are literally the foundation of Vorinism. Callings? Glories? Maybe... Oh well, I already named them all.]

For the name, maybe something referring to the War of Loss that the radical ardents want to revisit? All the roles seem fine. If it takes long enough for this game to run you might be able to add a couple more Devotaries if you wanted to fill out the standard Mistborn roles or something since there's 10 Devotaries in total. The Devotary of Spontaneity is functionally equivalent to no Devotary since its members wouldn't plan ahead enough to take an action.

7 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

For the name, maybe something referring to the War of Loss that the radical ardents want to revisit? All the roles seem fine. If it takes long enough for this game to run you might be able to add a couple more Devotaries if you wanted to fill out the standard Mistborn roles or something since there's 10 Devotaries in total. The Devotary of Spontaneity is functionally equivalent to no Devotary since its members wouldn't plan ahead enough to take an action.

Name idea: "The Sun Sets On Empires" or some derivative of that to show that the Sunmaker's empire has fallen, the Hierocracy was arrogant and bad at ruling, and they will not suffer the same mistakes as their imperial predecessors. Or, taking the complete opposite view, "The Sun Never Sets" to show a wish for the return of the days of Empire.

Would I be allowed to use RoW Devotaries if I clearly label that it contains minor irrelevant spoilers for RoW? I could also just make some up which might be easier. 

If you give permission to have the "No Devotary" group named after you, then I will happily use it. I do express concern over confusion, but I suppose that would have happened in any case, what with the roles literally being named "Devotary of X". 

3 hours ago, The Unknown Order said:

So I've been working on a Feruchemy ruleset, which I'll put lower down, but I have no idea for tapping Aluminum. Any ideas?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jLpk8sDPVpArbl95UUcVuB6jgIHYd0U3vUoSJDKvEcg/edit?usp=drivesdk

I think you need to change the settings of the doc so that people it's not shared with can see it :P it won't let me in

Well, for those of you who aren't on the discord or who are and just missed this: I've been working on a game called Radiant University. It's based on the KKC games, specifically LG65. I won't be running this game for a long while (I can only run games during summers, and I've already got several other games lined up for this coming summer), but I've been working on this for awhile and finished up the rules earlier tonight. So, at a grand total of just over 10,000 words and 24 pages, here is Radiant University.

Huge thanks to @TJ Shade @Ashbringer @Elbereth @little wilson @Experience and @Haelbarde for helping me out as I was working on these rules, especially TJ. I spent a lot of time spamming him with my thoughts and ideas as I was working on this game, and he was really helpful for getting a lot of this done, especially with helping me figure out some of the surge actions.

It's been a long month and a half, and I'm really glad I'm finally done. :P 

Also, feel free to give me comments on the rules! I might still make some changes if people point out things that are incredibly broken, plus I need stuff to add to the Clarifications section. :P

EDIT: Oh, also, @Kasimir listened to me ramble about Radiant University occasionally as well! Thanks man! I know you avoid complex games like the plague, but thanks for listening to me ramble sometimes. :P

Edited by StrikerEZ

• Win Condition: Outnumber all of the living, non-hospitalized Students in Honor’s Light. OR become the leader of X orders of Radiants (X = # of living elims - 1)

@StrikerEZ, would this be the number of living elims at any given moment? Because if so, then the elims would automatically win when there is just one left even if they aren't the head of an order of Radiants.

7 hours ago, Flyingbooks said:

@StrikerEZ, would this be the number of living elims at any given moment? Because if so, then the elims would automatically win when there is just one left even if they aren't the head of an order of Radiants.

Hmm...well, okay, I should make it so it’s at least one elim has to be. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I sat down and worked out some of the issues/complexities with my Twinborn game. It's still complicated and (to my mind) somewhat inelegant or unwieldy or... idk but this isn't gonna be the final version I don't think :P 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wy-b3IHJLCU3_RFTKPimVPjgG5bpeijylQsDvIShJAc/edit?usp=sharing

Yes, the abilities for each metal are the same whether you're a Misting or a Ferring of that metal. Having different abilities for each meant wayyyy too many kinds of abilities, so I sacrificed some accuracy in favor of workability. Most of the abilities are derived from Allomantic powers, some from Ferric powers, and some sort of fit both? but mostly it's one or the other. 

1 hour ago, Quintessential said:

Okay, so I sat down and worked out some of the issues/complexities with my Twinborn game. It's still complicated and (to my mind) somewhat inelegant or unwieldy or... idk but this isn't gonna be the final version I don't think :P 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wy-b3IHJLCU3_RFTKPimVPjgG5bpeijylQsDvIShJAc/edit?usp=sharing

Yes, the abilities for each metal are the same whether you're a Misting or a Ferring of that metal. Having different abilities for each meant wayyyy too many kinds of abilities, so I sacrificed some accuracy in favor of workability. Most of the abilities are derived from Allomantic powers, some from Ferric powers, and some sort of fit both? but mostly it's one or the other. 

Just an idea, maybe you could have all feruchemical metals be enhancers while allomantic are normal abilities. 

There really isn’t a good thread for this, but I think this one fits the best. 

So I’m playing Mafia irl with my visiting extended family rn, and I want to see how complicated I can make it. See what SE roles I can add. 

I did a 9 person game earlier. It had 

2 mafia
1 alignment scanner
1 protector
and 6 villagers. 

That went pretty well, but the alignment scanner found both mafias back to back on N1 and N2, so the game ended quickly. I’m thinking if I can find a way to do irl Vote Manip, but that might be a bit complicated. I could probably implement a Joker/Jester/whatever-you-wanna-call-it role pretty easily, so I think I’ll do that. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I think we’ll have about 11 players max. Do y’all think that’s enough for a 3 Elim team?

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Order said:

I think three elims would be good. A jester would definitely help. For the jester, I would recommend making them come up as evil to the alignment scanner. I would also recommend switching one vanillager to a vigilante. 

@Dannex

Oooh, good idea with the jester. A vigilante would be a good idea too.

13 minutes ago, Dannex said:

I did a 9 person game earlier. It had 

2 mafia
1 alignment scanner
1 protector
and 6 villagers.

Was the protection limited in some way? It seems really easy for the village to win by having the alignment scanner claim. Then the protection role just saves them while they get off as many scans as possible. If you run that setup again I'd recommend having a mafia roleblocker at least, so the mafia can shut down any alignment scanner that claims (and also so the mafia has a small chance of blocking a scan or protect).

14 minutes ago, Dannex said:

I’m thinking if I can find a way to do irl Vote Manip, but that might be a bit complicated. I could probably implement a Joker/Jester/whatever-you-wanna-call-it role pretty easily, so I think I’ll do that. 

I probably wouldn't recommend doing vote manip in such a small game size. It's annoying to handle and it can be frustrating if it interferes with the vote (since it's kind of undemocratic :P). A Jester role seems like it could be fun if your family is into that.

16 minutes ago, Dannex said:

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I think we’ll have about 11 players max. Do y’all think that’s enough for a 3 Elim team?

Three player elim team means that would be 3 vs 8 or roughly 27.27%. So it'd have to be pretty heavily in favor of the elims. For setups, I'd recommend looking at some other sites. For example, the MafiaScum wiki: Lots of smaller setups. Look under the "mini" and "micro" links for setups of the size you're looking for.