The Art of Game Creation

Metacognition

3 hours ago, Cadmium Compounder said:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but there is a version of werewolf, called One Night, where you only play a one night version of the game. Are there any One-cycle versions of SE out there? If not, I would be willing to create some game mechanics for one, and post it here for feedback, as a new style of game.

There is also a character that I find extremely fun, and it's called the Tanner. The Tanner's whole goal is to be the one to be lynched at the end of the night. if he is lynched, then he wins, and everyone else loses. Would there be a way to adapt a character like that into the continuous games, like "If [Hoid] is killed, then he fulfills his Win con, and sets off a timer/bomb that marks a definite end of game (for example: 3 cycles later) In order for any other teams to win, they must fulfill their wincon by that time." I think it could be fun, because then you can make very powerful characters, that would usually throw off the balance, but they would have to be more cautious to use any kill powers, because killing off the wrong guy can destroy your team

Similar to a jester in regular games, but more extreme. Sounds fun.

We actually did something a lot like this with a “truthless” role once. As a truthless, they have a deah wish and want to be lynched... But they killed every single person who voted on them if they got lynched.

So, I've created a rough draft version of a One Night or 1C (one cycle) game, as I referenced in my previous post. This is what I have, I think it would be fun to try it as an experiment, and if it's fun, it could maybe be implemented as a new game-style.

Would anyone be willing to provide feedback on the game, or have any questions? Because the game is a little bit different style, from my experience in live face to face versions, a better balance in this game is between 25 and 35% elim.

Spoiler

Cycle/Game Length: 24-48 hour night. Everyone puts in actions

72 hour Day to discuss what occurred during the night

Activity filter: Because game is one cycle long, there is no filter

Writeup Content: There will be an initial write-up, and the beginning of the day cycle, as well as a final write-up.

PM’s: Open PM’s allowed and encouraged. GM must be added to each PM. Plus Open thread communication is preferred.

Rogue Hazekiller(Neutral) During the night phase, this player may choose another player as a target. This player can only win this wincon, if that player is lynched.

Voting: You cannot end the cycle with a vote on yourself. Your vote will be ignored, and you will automatically lose.

FACTIONS:

Elim: Steel Ministry Win-con: No Elims are lynched at the end of the game

Leader of the Ministry(May convert one player to the steel ministry

Ministry Seeker(may seek out the role of one person)

Ministry workers(no night actions, may have day actions)

Kandra(traitor)(Knows who the Elim team is. If killed, villagers lose, If Elims win, he wins)

Village: If at least one Elim is lynched, your team wins. If you die as an individual, but your team wins, you still win

Seeker(Informed of the role of another person)(May be more, depending on player amount)

Informant(May find out the role of another person)(        If that person is not Elim, their role is revealed in the write-up)

Tineye(Informed of actions other players performed at end of cycle)

Oracle(Is able to find out if their role is still the same at the end of the night)

Hemalurgic troublemaker(May spike two people, steal their abilities, and swap them)(swaps roles of people)

Lerasium-spiked**Theoretical** (May choose to find out another person’s role at the beginning of the cycle, then become a copy of that person’s role

Matchmaker (may choose two people to fall in love)(If a

Neutral: Neutrals have their own wincon, some are more difficult than others, but all are acheivable. Some neutrals can have village and separate wincon. or elim and separate wincon

Kelsier(Neutral) His goal is to sacrifice himself for the Skaa rebellion. If he wins, all others lose.

Rogue Hazekiller(Neutral) During the night phase, this player may choose another player as a target. This player can only win this wincon, if that player is lynched.

(possible lovers): Survive the game, without Kelsier winning(Neutral cannot be lover). If one lover is Elim, and the Village team wins, then the Lovers both win (Lovers cannot vote for each other)

ROLES:

Night Roles

Kandra(traitor)(Knows who the Elim team is. If killed, villagers lose, If Elims win, he wins)

Spiked(Robber) (May choose to change his role with the role of another player. Gets to know what his new role is)

Kelsier(Neutral) His goal is to sacrifice himself for the Skaa rebellion. If he wins, all others lose.

Seeker(Informed of the role of another person)(May be more, depending on player amount

Tineye(Informed of actions other players performed at end of cycle)

Oracle(Is able to find out if their role is still the same at the end of the night)

Hemalurgic troublemaker(May spike two people, steal their abilities, and swap them)(swaps roles of people)

Lerasium-spiked**Theoretical** (May choose to find out another person’s role at the beginning of the cycle, then become a copy of that person’s role

Leader of the Ministry(May convert one player to the steel ministry

Ministry Seeker(may seek out the role of one person)

Ministry workers(no night actions, may have day actions)

Informant(May find out the role of another person)(If that person is not Elim, their role is revealed in the write-up)

Day Roles

Thug: Own vote counts as two. May choose to turn it off, but must inform the GM through PM

Zinc: May make another person’s vote count as 2, or move their vote

Brass: May nullify another person’s vote

Hazekiller: If a hazekilller is lynched, the person he points at is killed as well

Koloss: If person is a target of a lynch, target’s total vote count is lowered by one

Order of night actions.

Lerasium-spiked**Theoretical** (His new role will be informed to him as soon as possible, and will be performed simultaneously or immediately after the original role performs the role)(It is not guaranteed that the new role will be able to be used if this player does not put in a request early in the turn)

Matchmaker (Village)

Leader of the Ministry (elim)

Ministry Seeker (Elim)

Seeker (Village)

Informant (Village)

Tineye (Village)

Hemalurgic troublemaker (Village)

Spiked(robber)(village)

Oracle(Is able to find out if their role is still the same at the end of the night)(Village)

Day actions are performed simultaneously at the time of rollover

Clarifications

Actions are performed based on what a player’s role is at the beginning of the night.

A player’s Win-con is determined based on what their role is during the day turn.

Unless otherwise stated, players will not know what their new role is, or if their role changed at all.

Players will not necessarily know if their role has changed, and therefore, it may be wise to do partial reveals, or false reveals, or true reveals early on in the day turn, so that hopefully, information can be gathered and roles can be determined.

Those that do not have a night action will be given a day action.

Edited by Cadmium Compounder
Clarification on Win-con

That's a pretty cool concept.  Less time involvement for both players and mods, and should be fun.  It'd have to be run somewhat separately from the current schedule I'd guess, since it wouldn't be even as long as a QF.

32 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

That would just be 24 hours, then it's over, right? No rollover? I've played one night, so I know what you're talking about.

I was thinking like 24-48 hours to put in actions, just so everyone has time to do so, then 48-72 to discuss, once again, so everyone has time to discuss, then respond if they want.

It would be a role madness, role claim madness and role change madness style game.

6 minutes ago, Cadmium Compounder said:

I was thinking like 24-48 hours to put in actions, just so everyone has time to do so, then 48-72 to discuss, once again, so everyone has time to discuss, then respond if they want.

It would be a role madness, role claim madness and role change madness style game.

Role changing is fun.

28 minutes ago, Straw said:

What about having an anthology game, where each cycle is a single cycle game? That way, you could have multiple different rulesets in one game, which could be a bit interesting.

That sounds like a lot of fun.

Would you try to stitch the cycles together to make an overall game as well?

9 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

That sounds like a lot of fun.

Would you try to stitch the cycles together to make an overall game as well?

There are a lot of options available. The first things that come to mind are the following:

1. Point based game. You gain one point if you win one of the cycle-long games, and at the end of the entire game, the highest scoring player(s) win. Deaths would probably not carry over to the following cycle.

2. Faction based game. You have factions, with the same faction makeup every cycle, but with different rules and roles. Deaths would probably carry over to the next cycle.

3. Meta win condition game: Each player has a win condition that applies to every game, along with the normal rules for that game.

4. Semi-anthology game: Players have the ability to vote for different rules, and possibly for different roles. For example, the eliminator team might vote for a rule that reduces the village's ability to gain information. Deaths would probably carry over to the next cycle.

5. Completely unconnected game: Each cycle is a completely different game, with no connection to any previous game. Deaths would not carry over to the next cycle.

Notes:

-Number four sounds a bit like the shifting rules game Wilson was thinking about creating.

-For one, three, and five, it'd be interesting to have an ability that permanently kills a player. Thematically, it could fit in as a balefire ability in a Wheel of Time game.

4 hours ago, Straw said:

There are a lot of options available. The first things that come to mind are the following:

1. Point based game. You gain one point if you win one of the cycle-long games, and at the end of the entire game, the highest scoring player(s) win. Deaths would probably not carry over to the following cycle.

2. Faction based game. You have factions, with the same faction makeup every cycle, but with different rules and roles. Deaths would probably carry over to the next cycle.

3. Meta win condition game: Each player has a win condition that applies to every game, along with the normal rules for that game.

4. Semi-anthology game: Players have the ability to vote for different rules, and possibly for different roles. For example, the eliminator team might vote for a rule that reduces the village's ability to gain information. Deaths would probably carry over to the next cycle.

5. Completely unconnected game: Each cycle is a completely different game, with no connection to any previous game. Deaths would not carry over to the next cycle.

Notes:

-Number four sounds a bit like the shifting rules game Wilson was thinking about creating.

-For one, three, and five, it'd be interesting to have an ability that permanently kills a player. Thematically, it could fit in as a balefire ability in a Wheel of Time game.

I like this. I would probably sign up for it if it were run as a thing.

I am also fond of balefire mechanics. Although I never actually read WoT (I probably should); the erasure power in my game was loosely inspired by the web serial Pact.

11 hours ago, Straw said:

Notes:

Whoa, this is awesome! I would definitely play this. My vote's on #2.

14 hours ago, Straw said:

Notes:

Are we voting? If so, yes I would play this, and my vote is one or two.

1 hour ago, Straw said:

If it gets enough interest,  I'll try building a game around it, and possibly running it.

I'm interested. And if you base it on Mistborn, the sample game I created could be one of the cycles. Mine could act as a part of a larger game, or a standalone.

1 hour ago, Straw said:

I was thinking about having each cycle be set on a different planet, and having the factions be 17th Shard vs Hoid.

I like that. I personally think that the option 1 is the best for that style, then you can mix different styles. It could be like a mini tournament, where each cycle is a new mini game, and players gain points based on their role for that game. 

It might need an extra GM or M or IM to help regulate everything.

Ninja'd:ph34r:

I think one thing to remember, is that the typical role distribution may need to be changed, because on a one night, or two night version, in order for elims and villagers to have close to a 50/50 chance of winning, the role distribution may need to change.

Just now, Cadmium Compounder said:

I think one thing to remember, is that the typical role distribution may need to be changed, because on a one night, or two night version, in order for elims and villagers to have close to a 50/50 chance of winning, the role distribution may need to change.

I was probably going to go with option #2, so that wouldn't be a problem.

1 hour ago, Drake Marshall said:

What if each cycle was a microcosm of some of the shard's past games? You could start with the AG setup and then try to build from there?

I like this. Making it change based on people's choices. Unless I don't know what microcosm means.

Another potential benefit of single cycle games with over arching gms. You could allow less expierenced players who want to run a game run a single cycle, with help from the overarching gm. If they mess up, they won’t have messed up the entire game, and it is a lot less pressure then running an entire game. 

@Straw your Lightbringer profile pic gave me a random idea (though a non-Sanderson one).

What about a one-night series based on the cycle of nine kings? That is, the era before the Prisms existed.

The power of one particular spectra would wax, and drafters of that color would rule for a time... And then as that color got drafted too much, their power would ebb. Drafters of the next color down the spectrum would grow more powerful and challenge the ruling drafters, killing most of them off and replacing them as rulers.

Village would be drafters/wights of the ruling spectra, elims would be drafters/wights of the challenging spectra. Each 1-night game could have different roles, since each game would feature different types of drafter, and each type of drafting has very different applications.

• 3 weeks later...

Miscellaneous Ideas:

-Madman: Each cycle, you can ask the GM one question, and that question will be answered truthfully.

-Alternate Madman: Each cycle, you can submit one question. That question will be put in the dead doc by the GM, and every dead player can submit an answer. At the end of the following cycle, the Alternate Madman receives a list of the submitted answers.

-Seer: You can submit a list of three players, and the name of a target. Your target will be informed that their next action must target one of the three players.

-Voodoo Doll (Role or Item): At the start of the game, choose another player. All actions that are placed on your are redirected to your chosen player.

-Student (Designed for blackout games): Each cycle, you can target a player. If that player uses an ability, you gain the ability to use that ability once. However, you have no idea what the ability does, and only have a one word hint as to what the ability does.

-Necromancer (Possibly single use): Each cycle, you can bring a player back to life. The player will only stay alive for one cycle.

-Time Delayer (Role or item): All actions targeting you are delayed by one cycle.