The Art of Game Creation

Metacognition

Well, yes, but I gave you the idea for this one, because I didn't want to build it. I wanted to play it. Don't you remember that Facebook chat that one Sunday when I was supposed to be paying attention in church but instead I was talking to you about a game with rules that constantly change and then we realized that Betrayal would be perfect? Because I definitely do. It was glorious.

Vaguely? Definitely recall talking to you about the rules. I think it moved a little away from a game with changing rules (that became Amber), but hey, it works :P

Looks good Aonar. A couple questions:

I take it that any use of a power consumes one charge of stormlight? So for example, Division says that you can kill one player per cycle, but really you mean that each cycle you have the option of spending a charge of stormlight if you have one to kill a player.

Yeah. That's one of several the should probably be rewritten, to make how they function a little clearer.

Gravity: So am I to understand that it works like the traditional coppercloud power, allowing you to affect yourself and one other player each time you use it? Or are you simply allowed to target any one player, including yourself?

Any one player, including yourself, I believe it was. Gravity isn't exactly the coppercloud power. It's only one half of it, but buffed a bit. I decided with the sheer number of action-affecting powers, (transportation, cohesion, adhesion, tension, and abrasion) there needed to be an ability that balanced them out, and gravity is it.

Progression: If you use it to target a player and they are not attacked, do you still lose a charge of stormlight? I take it from how you've written it that if your target is:

• attacked 0 times -> you lose 0 (1?) charges of stormlight
      • attacked 1 time -> you lose 1 charge of stormlight
      • attacked 2 times -> you lose 2 charges of stormlight
      • attacked 3 times -> you lose 3 charges of stormlight
      • etc.

If you target a player with progression, you lose one charge regardless. It can just block extra kills with more stormlight.

Illumination: PMs are one on one, you say, so not 1 PM with a bunch of players, but a bunch of PMs with you and one other player. So with this power, you could theoretically spend 1 charge of stormlight to open a one on one PM with EVERY other player in the game? It's hard to envision exactly how the game will play out, but that may be a bit OP. For one it would allow the Illuminator to immediately discover everybody who has been hit that cycle by things like abrasion, transportation, and Cohesion. I would suggest a cap of some sort. 1 charge of stormlight for 5 (or however many PMs), with the option of spending more than one charge for more PMs.

That's a good point, although for strategy reasons it might not be viable (no safe roles, lots of kills flying around etc) it is still an option. I'll probably end up working it around a % of the players in the game, rounded up.

Transportation and Cohesion: These sound remarkably similar, or am I reading them wrong? For cohesion, does anything that target you ALSO affect your target or does in ONLY affect your target and leave you untouched? If the latter, it is too similar to Transportation (albeit weaker, since you can only protect yourself) for my tastes. I'd suggest something to make the powers a bit more distinguished from each other- maybe one could let you transfer 1 vote (at random) from yourself to another player for each charge of stormlight used?

Another one I should re-word. Cohesion makes any power to target one of two people affect both of them (one of the two would need to be the player with cohesion). It's basically a slightly more powerful, and double-edged version of roles like MR1's Shamed Guard, and LG12's Pirate.

Tension: seems a little weak, especially when compared with other powers like Transportation and Abrasion. Not quite sure how I'd fix it though. Maybe a vote-manipulation power again? The number of votes your target receives the next cycle is cut in half (or doubled, depending on your preference)?

Yeah, it is a little weak, but don't know how to fix that. It's meant to be a counterpart to Adhesion, but if I let it affect all actions, then it might become unbalanced. With Illumination nerfed though, that might not matter as much, as it'll be harder to get communication started. It might be worth it to just nerf Progression (one kill attempt only) and Transportation (target the player making the action, instead of the person receiving), and leave it as is. (Abrasion is alright the way things stand, I think. The ability is both a help and a hindrance at the same time, and it can only be used to protect oneself. )

Overall it looks really cool though. Simple and straightforward yet thematic. I'll be signing up for this one for sure- I haven't participated in a good Rosharan game yet.

*Grumble* Back in my day, when these games were still getting off the ground, we hadn’t even heard of anything so complex as all the new-fangled roles and mechanics these whippersnappers are trying to run. *Grumble* :P

All kidding aside, thanks. I’m not trying to run anything too complex (already had my fill of that with LG11) but hopefully this will be interesting for people.

[Really cool stuff.] For some reason the formatting isn't working, and the contents of this quote was just showing up as a mess of random BBCode.

...Yup. What was I saying about all the new, extremely complicated games being built? :P Anyways, this game does look really cool. I haven't played, (or even heard of, actually) the board game, but this looks like it should be very fun to play. 

Wyrm, I am so madly excited for this game. I absolutely forgive you for telling Gamma to kill me in MR6. All is forgiven if I can play this game. I don't even care if I die the first cycle. I just want to play it!

One question though: Is there still a lynch during the day before the first traitor is converted?

Wyrm told Gamma to kill you? How did I miss this? I GM'd that game.

I've been tinkering with the Game of shards. Major changes include a lack of Safe roles, The reveal of Survival, changes to Hoid, and a complete Overhaul of Devotion. I'd like your thoughts on the matter.

Investiture

Shardic Roles have two abilities, one they can access (Shardic Power), and one they can grant (Investiture Power). In order to use their Shardic Power, they must give their Investiture power to another player (Referred to as Investing a player). That player will keep the Investiture Power for one whole cycle.

Some Shards also have a passive ability. This ability is always in use, whether or not the Shard has invested.

If a shard attempts to Invest in another Shard, they are told Exactly: “Your Target cannot receive Investiture.” This will be copy/pasted into the PM. Nothing else will be told.

Multiple Shards may Invest in the Same Worldhopper. That Player may choose to use one ability per Turn. Example; she can use Domination’s Day vote-Change as well as Odium’s Night Kill in the same Cycle.

A Shard may send a Message along with their Investment. This message will be anonymous. The Worldhopper cannot reply. If the Sender chooses to reveal their identity in the message, the GM will neither confirm nor deny the identity. If the Shards sends orders in the message, the Worldhopper is free to obey or disobey them as they see fit.

If a player with a Shard goes inactive, which is shown by failing to take any action for two cycles (4 turns) in a row, the player will lose their shard, and Endowment gets to choose a new Shardholder. This shard is not shattered, and can still invest. This rule is to prevent inactives from wasting shards.

Roles:

Hoid and Endowment are Village only. Odium and his Champions are Eliminator only. Survival is Neutral. All other roles can be on either the eliminator or the village team.

Shards:

ENDOWMENT: Shardic: When a player with a Shard is killed, Endowment receives the Shard. Endowment may use that Shard's Shardic Power once. Example: Ruin is lynched on Day 1. Endowment may make one kill. Endowment must give then give Ruin to a player.

Investiture: Once per cycle, Endowment can Invest a Shard in a worldhopper. From this cycle on, the player is treated as being Invested by the relevant Shard, and may use its Investiture Power for the remainder of the game. If this player dies, Endowment picks up the Shard again.

Special Notes: If Endowment is killed, their shard is picked up by a random Worldhopper.

CULTIVATION: Shardic: Once per day cycle, Cultivation can submit their vote to the Game Master as a Private Message. This vote takes precedence over the in-thread vote. It may NOT be affected by any vote changing abilities. Cultivation may also begin PM Conversations between herself and any amount of others, or between any three people without being in it herself. These Conversations do not stop until Cultivation dies. Cultivation cannot listen in on any PM’s that she isn’t in. Cultivation may choose to start the Conversations herself, or have the GM start them, keeping her anonymous.

Investiture: Once per cycle, Cultivation can invest in a worldhopper. That player can cast their vote during the next day turn in a Private message with the Game Master. This vote takes precedence over in thread votes. It CAN be affected by any vote changing abilities. The Player may also start one PM Conversation, with up to 3 other people. This Conversation ends once Cultivation takes her power back. If Cultivation invests in the same Worldhopper twice in a row, the Conversation keeps going. The Invested individual may choose to end this PM at any time.

DOMINION: Shardic: Once per cycle, Dominion can change a player's Target. They must specify what action they are changing. (Day Vote, Day Action, Day Invest, Night Action, Night Invest) If they try to change a non existent action, they will instead change a random action. Example: Dominion targets Meta, and makes him use his night invest on Alvron. Meta doesn’t have a Night invest, but does have a night action, so Meta’s Night action hits Alvron.

Investiture: Once per cycle, Domination can invest in a worldhopper. That player can change another player’s vote during the next day cycle. The invested player cannot change Dominion or Cultivation's Vote.

HONOUR: Shardic: Once per night, Honour can target a player, and that player will be given an extra life. The Player will not know they have been targeted, unless they are attacked.. They can only survive one extra attack. Honour CAN target himself.

Investiture: Once per night, Honour can invest in a worldhopper. That player can Lash someone during the next night phase, granting them an extra life. Honour and Honour’s Worldhopper can both target the same Worldhopper, allowing them to survive two attacks. They can also target each other.

Honour’s Worldhopper can NOT Target himself.

PRESERVATION: Shardic: Preservation has a One time use of Ultimate Preservation. Once they activate their ability, all actions, investments, votes and retractions made after that point, are null, until that day/night ends. I will be using timestamps for this to be accurate. This includes retracting the Ultimate preservation ability. Once it’s set off, you can’t take it back.

Passive: Preservation can survive a single attack.

Investiture: Once per cycle, Preservation can invest in a worldhopper. That player can survive one attack for a full cycle. This life is not permanent, and will be removed upon the end of the cycle.

DEVOTION: Shardic: During the day, Devotion can take the place of whoever is being lynched, dying in their stead. During the Night, Devotion may target a player. all actions that would hit that player, not hit Devotion.

Investiture: Once per Cycle, Devotion may target a player. If that player has a minor role, they receive another set of items. (The awakener will be given 3 more breathes, the Voidbringer another charge of Stormlight, etcetera). If the Player does not have a minor role, they are given one.

RUIN: Shardic: Once per Cycle, Ruin can target a player for death. He can target a Shard or a Worldhopper.

Investiture: Once per day, Ruin can invest in a Worldhopper. Once every day/night cycle, the invested player can target another player. During the day, a targeted player’s vote doesn’t count. During the night, a targeted player cannot use their ability. This does not stop a shard from investing.

ODIUM: Shardic: Once per night, Odium can target a player for death. If that player is a Shard, they die. Odium can choose to either shatter the shard, removing it from the game completely, or letting Endowment take it. Odium can NOT shatter Endowment. If Odium attempts to kill a non shardic Player, nothing happens. It is not revealed in the Writeup.

Investiture: During the Day, Odium can invest in a worldhopper. That player can kill a non shardic player during the night phase of the same cycle. If they target a Shard, nothing happens. It is not revealed in the writeup.

Special Notes:: If Odium dies, his shard is given to the player last invested in rather than to Endowment.

SURVIVAL: Shardic: None.

Passive: Survival is immune to all non kill actions. But, he starts with 3 Lives, rather than the usual 1.

Investiture: At the cost of one life, Survival can target a player once in the game, and join that player’s team. If Survival targets Odium or a champion of Odium, He joins their Doc. If not, he simply becomes a villager. If Survival has one life left when he targets a player, he miraculously survives.

Special Notes: If survival has not chosen a side by the end of the game, he wins only if he is still alive.

Non Shards:

ODIUM’S CHAMPIONS: Odium's Champions get a doc to conspire in. They may have another role as well.

HOID: If Hoid is invested by a Shard, he gain’s a copy of that Shard’s Investiture power for the remainder of the game. Hoid may use three of these powers per cycle.

• Honour: If Hoid is invested by Honour, he can Lash players once during the night cycle for the remainder of the game, saving they from death.

• Cultivation: If Hoid is invested by Cultivation, he can cast all his votes in Private Messages.

• Preservation: If Hoid is invested by Preservation, he can survive a single attack for the remainder of the game. If he is attacked, He can be reinvested by Preservation. These lives do not stack.

• Dominion: If Hoid is invested by Dominion, he can change one players vote during the day cycle.

• Devotion: If Devotion attempts to invest in Ruin, Hoid mocks her and nothing happens.

• Ruin: If Hoid is Invested by Ruin, he can prevent one player action during the night cycle.

• Endowment: Hoid does not keep the shard. He can choose to give it to someone else, or Shatter it, removing it from the game forever. Either way, he is still invested by that Shard. For Example: If Endowment attempts to give him Dominion’s shard, Hoid can use his Dominion ability for the rest of the game. But he must give Dominion to another worldhopper. If he attempts to give it to a shard, Endowment picks it up again.

• Odium: If Hoid is invested by Odium, once a night he can target a player for death.

• Survival: If Hoid is invested by Survival, Hoid becomes Neutral. He may now target a player to join their team. Survival does not lose a life in this case.

WORLDHOPPER: You aren't from this world. Perhaps you come from Yolen, Scadrial, Nalthis, Sel or Roshar. Maybe you were born on Threnody, or Ashyn. You might hail from Braize. Or are you one of those inhabitants of an unimportant Shardworld? Wherever it is, you have no abilities unless you're invested, but you can still vote during the day cycle.

Minor Roles:

For every two players above 16, I will include another minor role. These minor roles will all be included in the rules.  

AWAKENER: You start with 3 breaths. Each Cycle you can target a player, and will be told that they have Normal Investiture (meaning an Uninvested Worldhopper or Odium’s champion), High Investiture (A Invested Worldhopper/Hoid or a Minor role), or Oh My God King Investiture (A Shard).

BLOODSEALER: Your pets are ready to hunt. You have 2 skeletals, every Night, you may choose two people and put a bloodseal on them. If they attempt to perform a kill move, one of your skeletals will attack the killer. The Skeletal is destroyed in the process. The Target's attack is also canceled.

POISONER: You start with one Vial of poison. You may administer it to anyone. That player will die the same cycle you do.

VOIDBRINGER: You start with One charge of Stormlight. If you are attacked, you will start consuming one charge of stormlight per cycle. Once you run out of Stormlight, you will die.

LIFELESS OPERATOR: You have one lifeless. You can send this lifeless to protect anyone you want, at any time you want. It’s default state is protecting you. If your target is attacked, the lifeless dies instead.

UNMADE: You have two Charges of Stormlight. The Unmade may use one charge of Stormlight to destroy the planet s/he's on, removing it from the list of possible PM Planets. The Unmade may choose to do this during the day, in which case all participants of the PM will be sent to whichever world has the most players, Or they may send it in at night, which forces players who were transferring to that planet to stay put.

PM's: There are two ways to use PM's. One is to be in one with Cultivation, or a follower of Cultivation. The other is to be on the same world as a player. In addition to any other action a player may have, they may choose to go to a certain world. (The amount of Worlds is equal to 1/3 of the Original number of players, rounding up.) All players on that world will be put in a PM group for the duration of that cycle.

You CANNOT PM somebody on the same World as you privately. You just have to talk through the World PM.

Edited by The Only Joe

I've been tinkering with the Game of shards. Major changes include a lack of Safe roles, The reveal of Survival, changes to Hoid, and a complete Overhaul of Devotion. I'd like your thoughts on the matter.

Investiture[/size]

Shardic Roles have two abilities, one they can access (Shardic Power), and one they can grant (Investiture Power). In order to use their Shardic Power, they must give their Investiture power to another player (Referred to as Investing a player). That player will keep the Investiture Power for one whole cycle.[/size]

Some Shards also have a passive ability. This ability is always in use, whether or not the Shard has invested.[/size]

If a shard attempts to Invest in another Shard, they are told Exactly: “Your Target cannot receive Investiture.” This will be copy/pasted into the PM. Nothing else will be told.[/size]

Multiple Shards may Invest in the Same Worldhopper. That Player may choose to use one ability per Turn. [/size]Example; she can use Domination’s Day vote-Change as well as Odium’s Night Kill in the same Cycle.[/size]

A Shard may send a Message along with their Investment. This message will be anonymous. The Worldhopper cannot reply. If the Sender chooses to reveal their identity in the message, the GM will neither confirm nor deny the identity. If the Shards sends orders in the message, the Worldhopper is free to obey or disobey them as they see fit.[/size]

If a player with a Shard goes inactive, which is shown by failing to take any action for two cycles (4 turns) in a row, the player will lose their shard, and Endowment gets to choose a new Shardholder. This shard is not shattered, and can still invest. This rule is to prevent inactives from wasting shards.[/size]

Roles:[/size]

Hoid and Endowment are Village only. Odium and his Champions are Eliminator only. Survival is Neutral. All other roles can be on either the eliminator or the village team.[/size]

Shards:[/size]

ENDOWMENT[/size]: [/size]Shardic: [/size]When a player with a Shard is killed, Endowment receives the Shard. Endowment may use that Shard's Shardic Power once. [/size]Example: Ruin is lynched on Day 1. Endowment may make one kill. Endowment must give then give Ruin to a player.[/size]

Invest[/size]iture:[/size] [/size]Once per cycle, Endowment can Invest a Shard in a worldhopper. From this cycle on, the player is treated as being Invested by the relevant Shard, and may use its Investiture Power for the remainder of the game. If this player dies, Endowment picks up the Shard again. [/size]

Special Notes:[/size] If Endowment is killed, their shard is picked up by a random Worldhopper.[/size]

CULTIVATION:[/size] [/size]Shardic: [/size]Once per day cycle, Cultivation can submit their vote to the Game Master as a Private Message. This vote takes precedence over the in-thread vote. It may [/size]NOT[/size] be affected by any vote changing abilities. Cultivation may also begin PM Conversations between herself and any amount of others, or between any three people without being in it herself. These Conversations do not stop until Cultivation dies. Cultivation cannot listen in on any PM’s that she isn’t in. Cultivation may choose to start the Conversations herself, or have the GM start them, keeping her anonymous.[/size]

Investiture:[/size] Once per cycle, Cultivation can invest in a worldhopper. That player can cast their vote during the next day turn in a Private message with the Game Master. This vote takes precedence over in thread votes. It [/size]CAN[/size] be affected by any vote changing abilities. The Player may also start one PM Conversation, with up to 3 other people. This Conversation ends once Cultivation takes her power back. If Cultivation invests in the same Worldhopper twice in a row, the Conversation keeps going. The Invested individual may choose to end this PM at any time.[/size]

DOMINION:[/size] [/size]Shardic: [/size]Once per cycle, Dominion can change a player's Target. They must specify what action they are changing. (Day Vote, Day Action, Day Invest, Night Action, Night Invest) If they try to change a non existent action, they will instead change a random action. [/size]Example:[/size] [/size]Dominion targets Meta, and makes him use his night invest on Alvron. Meta doesn’t have a Night invest, but does have a night action, so Meta’s Night action hits Alvron.[/size]

Investiture:[/size] [/size]Once per cycle, Domination can invest in a worldhopper. That player can change another player’s vote during the next day cycle. The invested player cannot change Dominion or Cultivation's Vote.[/size]

HONOUR:[/size] [/size]Shardic: [/size]Once per night, Honour can target a player, and that player will be given an extra life. The Player will not know they have been targeted, unless they are attacked.. They can only survive one extra attack. Honour [/size]CAN[/size] target himself.[/size]

Investiture:[/size] [/size]Once per night, Honour can invest in a worldhopper. That player can Lash someone during the next night phase, granting them an extra life. Honour and Honour’s Worldhopper can both target the same Worldhopper, allowing them to survive two attacks. They can also target each other. [/size]

Honour’s Worldhopper can [/size]NOT [/size]Target himself.[/size]

PRESERVATION:[/size] [/size]Shardic: [/size]Preservation has a One time use of Ultimate Preservation. Once they activate their ability, all actions, investments, votes and retractions made after that point, are null, until that day/night ends. I will be using timestamps for this to be accurate. This includes retracting the Ultimate preservation ability. Once it’s set off, you can’t take it back.[/size]

Passive: [/size]Preservation can survive a single attack.[/size]

Investiture:[/size] Once per cycle, Preservation can invest in a worldhopper. That player can survive one attack for a full cycle. This life is not permanent, and will be removed upon the end of the cycle.[/size]

DEVOTION:[/size] [/size]Shardic: [/size]During the day, Devotion can take the place of whoever is being lynched, dying in their stead. During the Night, Devotion may target a player. all actions that would hit that player, not hit Devotion.[/size]

Investiture:[/size] [/size]Once per Cycle, Devotion may target a player. If that player has a minor role, they receive another set of items. (The awakener will be given 3 more breathes, the Voidbringer another charge of Stormlight, etcetera). If the Player does not have a minor role, they are given one.[/size]

RUIN:[/size] [/size]Shardic: [/size]Once per Cycle[/size], [/size]Ruin can target a player for death. He can target a Shard or a Worldhopper. [/size]

Investiture:[/size] Once per day, Ruin can invest in a Worldhopper. Once every day/night cycle, the invested player can target another player. During the day, a targeted player’s vote doesn’t count. During the night, a targeted player cannot use their ability. This does not stop a shard from investing.[/size]

ODIUM:[/size] [/size]Shardic: [/size]Once per night, Odium can target a player for death. [/size]If[/size] that player is a Shard, they die. Odium can choose to either shatter the shard, removing it from the game completely, or letting Endowment take it. Odium can NOT shatter Endowment. If Odium attempts to kill a non shardic Player, nothing happens. It is not revealed in the Writeup.[/size]

Investiture:[/size] [/size]During the Day, Odium can invest in a worldhopper. That player can kill a non shardic player during the night phase of the same cycle. If they target a Shard, nothing happens. It is not revealed in the writeup.[/size]

Special Notes:[/size]: If Odium dies, his shard is given to the player last invested in rather than to Endowment.[/size]

SURVIVAL:[/size] [/size]Shardic: [/size]None.[/size]

Passive: [/size]Survival is immune to all non kill actions. But, he starts with 3 Lives, rather than the usual 1.[/size]

Investiture:[/size] At the cost of one life, Survival can target a player once in the game, and join that player’s team. If Survival targets Odium or a champion of Odium, He joins their Doc. If not, he simply becomes a villager. If Survival has one life left when he targets a player, he miraculously survives.[/size]

Special Notes: [/size]If survival has not chosen a side by the end of the game, he wins only if he is still alive.[/size]

Non Shards:[/size]

ODIUM’S CHAMPIONS:[/size] [/size]Odium's Champions get a doc to conspire in. They may have another role as well.[/size]

HOID[/size]:[/size] If Hoid is invested by a Shard, he gain’s a copy of that Shard’s Investiture power for the remainder of the game. Hoid may use three of these powers per cycle.[/size]

• Honour: If Hoid is invested by Honour, he can Lash players once during the night cycle for the remainder of the game, saving they from death.

• Cultivation: If Hoid is invested by Cultivation, he can cast all his votes in Private Messages.

• Preservation: If Hoid is invested by Preservation, he can survive a single attack for the remainder of the game. If he is attacked, He can be reinvested by Preservation. These lives do not stack.

• Dominion: If Hoid is invested by Dominion, he can change one players vote during the day cycle.

• Devotion: If Devotion attempts to invest in Ruin, Hoid mocks her and nothing happens.

• Ruin: If Hoid is Invested by Ruin, he can prevent one player action during the night cycle.

• Endowment: Hoid does not keep the shard. He can choose to give it to someone else, or Shatter it, removing it from the game forever. Either way, he is still invested by that Shard. For Example: If Endowment attempts to give him Dominion’s shard, Hoid can use his Dominion ability for the rest of the game. But he must give Dominion to another worldhopper. If he attempts to give it to a shard, Endowment picks it up again.

• Odium: If Hoid is invested by Odium, once a night he can target a player for death.

• Survival: If Hoid is invested by Survival, Hoid becomes Neutral. He may now target a player to join their team. Survival does not lose a life in this case.

WORLDHOPPER: [/size]You aren't from this world. Perhaps you come from Yolen, Scadrial, Nalthis, Sel or Roshar. Maybe you were born on Threnody, or Ashyn. You might hail from Braize. Or are you one of those inhabitants of an unimportant Shardworld? Wherever it is, you have no abilities unless you're invested, but you can still vote during the day cycle.[/size]

Minor Roles:[/size]

For every two players above 16, I will include another minor role. These minor roles will all be included in the rules.  [/size]

AWAKENER:[/size] You start with 3 breaths. Each Cycle you can target a player, and will be told that they have Normal Investiture (meaning an Uninvested Worldhopper or Odium’s champion), High Investiture (A Invested Worldhopper/Hoid or a Minor role), or Oh My God King Investiture (A Shard).[/size]

BLOODSEALER:[/size] Your pets are ready to hunt. You have 2 skeletals, every Night, you may choose two people and put a bloodseal on them. If they attempt to perform a kill move, one of your skeletals will attack the killer. The Skeletal is destroyed in the process. The Target's attack is also canceled.[/size]

POISONER: [/size]You start with one Vial of poison. You may administer it to anyone. That player will die the same cycle you do.[/size]

VOIDBRINGER:[/size] You start with One charge of Stormlight. If you are attacked, you will start consuming one charge of stormlight per cycle. Once you run out of Stormlight, you will die.[/size]

LIFELESS OPERATOR:[/size] You have one lifeless. You can send this lifeless to protect anyone you want, at any time you want. It’s default state is protecting you. If your target is attacked, the lifeless dies instead.[/size]

UNMADE:[/size] You have two Charges of Stormlight. The Unmade may use one charge of Stormlight to destroy the planet s/he's on, removing it from the list of possible PM Planets. The Unmade may choose to do this during the day, in which case all participants of the PM will be sent to whichever world has the most players, Or they may send it in at night, which forces players who were transferring to that planet to stay put.[/size]

PM's:[/size] There are two ways to use PM's. One is to be in one with Cultivation, or a follower of Cultivation. The other is to be on the same world as a player. In addition to any other action a player may have, they may choose to go to a certain world. (The amount of Worlds is equal to 1/3 of the Original number of players, rounding up.) All players on that world will be put in a PM group for the duration of that cycle.[/size]

You CANNOT PM somebody on the same World as you privately. You just have to talk through the World PM.[/size]

I liked Hoid as he was :P

The Cultivation ability was definitely the most OP last game, however useful it happened to be. Quite honestly, it made Hoid significantly more powerful than the actual Shard. You might also consider making Hoid only keep the abilities for two cycles, or even one, but I don't really know.

The Cultivation ability was definitely the most OP last game, however useful it happened to be. Quite honestly, it made Hoid significantly more powerful than the actual Shard. You might also consider making Hoid only keep the abilities for two cycles, or even one, but I don't really know.

Hoid's been depowered quite a bit now, that's why I'm letting him permanently keep the powers. (He also can't stack lives like you could how many lives did you end up with?) There's also a small chance he'll be able to switch sides, which I find hilarious.

Ah, I didn't notice the nonstacking aspect. That makes Hoid a helluva lot easier to kill.

I ended up with four or five lives, I believe.

So in this revised scenario, any of the Shards could be on Team Odium?

In celebration of April the First (before you say anything, punctuality is against the spirit of April the First), I decided to put together a 17th Shard variant of Sanderson Elimination, to be played on Sanderson's fansite the 17th Shard (Is this getting too meta?). Note that the first line of the opening does not reflect my opinion on the Shard.

Attack of the Spam-Bots

Attack of the Spam-Bots

Whispered are the days when 17th Shard was beautiful.

Then, the spammers came. They came in their thousands, selling love potions and black magic to every country under the sun. Kill one, and another would take its place. The trickle soon became a torrent, the torrent soon became a flood, as the evil Dark Lord Vashikaran Babaji's many dark tendrils wormed their way into our fortress. Now, every Sharder must stand united against this great foe if they are to survive. Our leaders stand on the front lines with banhammers and shardblades in hand, fighting back against the omnipresent threat. But the Dark One learns, and adapts his strategy; he has infiltrated a small group of his underlings into the Shard itself, to undermine the defenses from within...

Factions

Sharders

The brave, heroic 17th Sharders stand alongside their admins, unaware that their ranks have been infiltrated. Did I mention we were brave? And heroic? And awesome? And possibly the most amazing fandom of all time? Wait, possibly implies uncertainty. And I am not just saying that because Rubix broke into my house and is holding me hostage until I say good things about the Shard.

Spammers

The evil legions of the Dark Lord have infiltrated the Shard itself, prepared to spam their foes into submission. They have a doc to conspire in, and can target a single person per day to spam to insanity, thereby removing them from the game.

Roles

Average

There isn't really anything special about you. Insert witty description here.

Code Monkey

With skills like yours, you could be programming NASA probes. Alas, you are a mere code monkey, who toils away at his keyboard. Every cycle, you may choose to investigate a single person, finding out their Alignment. If you are a Code Monkey working with the Spammers, you may choose someone, yourself included, to hide from Sharder Code Monkeys.

Hoed

The disappointments delivered by other authors have scarred you for life; you are completely unable to feel optimism, doomed to die a lonely death as a cynic. On the bright side, you can't summon the energy to be distracted by anything - roleblocks cannot hinder you.

Knight Awkward

Books before friends. Release dates before birthdays. 17th Shard before the real world. You will protect those who cannot protect themselves. You can save a single person, yourself not included, from an attack each cycle, not including the lynch.

You are a moderator of the 17th Shard, one who wields the mighty banhammer against an onslaught of spammers. You may make a single banhammer kill per cycle a total of three times. Moderators are always Sharders.

Seon

You juggle two accounts simultaneously, praying nobody notices. You have a second vote to use, and can send anonymous messages through the host. You may also upvote yourself. Seons are always Spammers.

Shipbinder

Your devotion to a ship borders on the fanatical; you are capable of swarming someone with reasons why your two characters are perfect for each other. You may roleblock a single person each day.

Spiker

Someone you wouldn't want to meet in a Dark Alley. You may 'spike' someone and take control of their vote once per game - the spiked has no idea their vote is being changed. The vote control is permanent, at least until one of you dies. Being lynched and reviving with a VPN also removes the vote control. If you spike a spammer, you may also influence their kill vote. If you are roleblocked, they make their vote as normal.

Theoryborn

Cultivation is OBVIOUSLY Odium, you storming fools! You gain twice as many Reputation Points from upvotes.

Locations

You can switch locations between cycles. Your location is made public at the end of each cycle. Locations, like in QF8, are represented by message threads.

Introduce Yourself

The first target for spammers. There are enough simultaneous threads in Introduce Yourself to allow members to talk without others noticing. In practical terms, this means you can PM someone else in Introduce Yourself.

The Cosmere

Have you found Hoid yet? If you spend your turn looking for an item in the Cosmere section, any Common items you find will be replaced with Uncommon, Uncommon with Rare, and Rare with Legendary.

Non-Cosmere Works

No one uses this section, and no one thinks to look here. You may spend fifteen Reputation Points to go to the Non-Cosmere Works section for a cycle, making you immune to all actions attempted on you from outside for that cycle, but making it impossible for you to do anything to anyone outside the section.

Sandereson Elimination

This is getting way too meta for me. Let us stay on the acceptable side of meta, and not include Sanderson Elimination.

Reckoners RP

Hoid has left the building. Prepare for ponies, general insanity, Epics, ponified Epics, pugs, occasionally some Reckoners, and did I mention ponies yet? Add a random amount of Reputation Points, between 5-20, for each cycle you spend in this area without committing any actions, not counting searching for items.

Reputation Points

Each cycle, you may dispense five Upvotes and five Downvotes among other players (in-game, not in-forum, just to clarify). Every lynch vote against you removes twenty reputation points, but is disqualified if you still have any rep points after the lynch vote. Every twenty rep points you are at below zero acts as a lynch vote against you. Reputation points are always made public.

Items

You may spend a cycle without committing any actions or casting a vote to look for an item. As in Twinborn Village, the more useful an item is, the harder it is to find. You will always find one item. Unless specifically stated otherwise, each item can only be used once.

Common: 50% chance

Uncommon: 30% chance

Rare: 15% chance

Legendary: 5% chance

Pugs

Well, I was going to lynch that guy, but those pugs... Wait, what was I doing again?

Effect: Roleblock a single person.

Rarity: Common

Coppermind Duty

After all this selfless work I've done doing the bare minimum and constructing only a single page, don't I deserve some upvotes?

Effect: Gain 30 reputation points for skipping a cycle.

Bad Metaphor

Your sense of awe just got incinerated by my incredible metaphor skills like a plate of delicious chocolate-chip ice cream sitting on top of a nuclear reactor as it explodes.

Effect: Remove a random item from your target's inventory.

I O U

I'm sure he won't notice it missing...

Effect: Take a random item from a target player.

Rarity: Uncommon

VPN Network

An IP ban isn't enough to stop you. You may only have one VPN network at a time.

Effect: Survive one lynch or moderator kill. You lose all rep points when you do.

Word of GodBrandon

Your deity has spoken! Bow before the great Sanderson!

Effect: If the lynch vote is tied between you and another player, you survive, unless the opponent also has a Word of Brandon.

Sadeas... so handsome... :wub:

Hey, that guy over there loves Sadeas! Go get 'em!

Effect: Re-direct all actions that would have targeted you to hit a person of your choice. That person also cannot receive upvotes and loses all his Reputation Points.

Rarity: Rare

Shardfork

The ultimate tool in accidentally severing your Cognitive tongue.

Effect: Kill one person.

Rarity: Rare

Password Hack

You have a team of code monkeys enslaved in the basement, toiling away through the ones and zeroes of the Shard, to find what you need... Mwahahahahaha...

Effect: Roleblock your target; the target does not know he is being roleblocked. You may then use all the target's abilities/items at your leisure and see into their doc until the next cycle, when they change their password.

Stormlight 8

Wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant...

Effect: Roleblock every player this cycle, cancelling all lynch votes, except yourself. You are not revealed as the person who triggered it.

Rarity: Legendary

Therapist

Oh Austre, the spam... the spam... the spam...

Effect: Allows you to recover from one Eliminator Kill. You may not use more than three posts, none of which can contain more than eight words each, for the next cycle.

Rarity: Legendary

Action order

Roleblock

I O U

Bad Metaphor

Password hack

Knight Awkward

Code monkey shield

Code monkey identification

Spikings

Vote changes

Lynch kill

Moderator kill

Shardfork

Spam kill

Therapist/VPN Resurrections

Edited by Adamir

Shiv was working on something like this back in the day and I'm so disappointed that we never got to see it come to fruition! I thought it was a great (and hilarious) concept then, I still think so! I'll help in any way I can to make this work. We'll inception it up so much, Alice will wonder if the rabbit hole has a bottom! ;)

Edited by Metacognition

Silly Alice, everyone knows the Rabbit hole goes in a complete Loop!

And yeah, that's a great looking Game.

Reckoners RP

Hoid has left the building. Prepare for ponies, general insanity, Epics, ponified Epics, pugs, occasionally some Reckoners, and did I mention ponies yet? Add a random amount of Reputation Points, between 5-20, for each cycle you spend in this area without committing any actions, not counting searching for items.

That might be the most accurate description of us I've seen so far.

Thanks for the feedback. My laptop is currently out of battery - I will add in the action order tomorrow morning. Also, did anyone catch the reference to the first draft of Elantris?

Edit: With aching fingers, I put in the action order on an iPhone screen.

Edited by Adamir

An Idea for a role I had: The Omnicide

The Omnicide is a single player, on their own team. S/he isn't allied with the eliminators, or with the Villagers. Their win condition is to have no person left alive at the end of the game, Including themself. To do this, s/he has two abilities.

1. A one time, unstoppable kill, that can target anyone, including themself. 

2. Bonding. once each cycle, s/he can tie her/his life force to another person. That person will know they have been bonded by the Omnicide. If that person dies, nothing happens. But if the Omnicide dies, everyone s/he has bonded also dies. Those who have been bonded, do not know who else has been bonded.

So the way the Omnicide works, is to slowly, cycle by cycle, bond with players, until s/he's bonded every surviving player, then kills himself, taking out all the other players as well.

This changes the way the game is played. Players who are targeted by the Omnicide know that they will have to die to kill him, and to win. They will have to decide to reveal they have been bonded, possibly making them a target, or to keep it hidden, resulting in less Information for the village.

If the Bonded go after the Omnicide, they only quicken their death, but if they protect him/her for to long, they quicken the Village's death.

Thoughts?

I've always viewed this as more of a team game, so if I, personally, don't survive a game, but my death helps out my side, then killing me is the right move. This is also probably why I don't have nearly as many qualms about early lynches and stuff like that. As such, I think that very few people would keep it hidden. They don't die unless the Omnicide dies, so they wouldn't be much of a target for revealing that they've been bonded either. 

I could also see something like this entirely changing the outcome of some games. The Omnicide might wind up wiping out the entire Eliminator team when they were doing incredibly well and were posed to win the game or it could turn the tables on a well played Villager victory by taking out enough players that now the Eliminators wind up winning. 

I do like the idea though; it's a neat twist of a conversion style role, but I think it needs a little tweaking to make it so that it doesn't become the only factor that decides who, if not them, wins the game. Perhaps the bonded players only die if the Omnicide suicides? 

So according to this AMA lots of people want more Nalthis games. I've had an idea for the core of one for a while, and it's now fleshed out enough to get opinions.

A lot of elements have been drawn from Claincy's excellent Colours of War game, but there's new things as well.

The Tears of Edgli are in demand across Nalthis. Coin, luxuries and Breath are traded for the valuable dye, in grand deals sometimes involving dozens of merchants. One such deal is set to be negotiated on a pleasure barge, being poled upriver from Tedradel in a three-day tour. Except everything on board seems rather...grey. And, come sunrise, you find your polers and their quants are nowhere to be found. The boat has been taken hostage.

If the trade falls through in such a dramatic fashion, Hallandren's dye trade will be crippled, and the strained relationship between T'Telir and Tedradel will weaken further. The merchants will have to find those responsible with the only available tools: wits, Breath, and dyes.

Factions

Village: The Merchants, trying to negotiate a deal and get out in one piece. They win when all the Saboteurs are killed.

Eliminators: The Saboteurs, trying to stop the deal. They win when there is only one Merchant left alive. They have a doc to conspire in, and can choose one of their number each night to kill a player or perform an unblockable Cut Out Their Tongue!. If a player has been targeted by Cut Out Their Tongue!, they cannot speak Commands and thus cannot use any action relating to Breath. The Saboteurs start with a stash of coloured cloth.

Basic Mechanics

Votes: During the Day, players vote in red for one player to be lynched. There may also be N coloured cloths available; players may then vote in orange for up to N people, excluding themselves (multiple votes for the same person are permitted). The N players who receive the most orange votes will each receive a coloured cloth. If less than N players receive votes, they will each receive only one cloth, and the rest will be carried over to the next day cycle. Coloured cloths cannot be transferred between Merchants; cloths that go to Saboteurs are added to their stash, and can be used by any of their team.

Actions: Each player gets one night and one day action. Things to do in the day: Awaken (strawman), prepare Awakening, pass Breath, join a PM. Things to do in the night: Awaken (all), pass Breath, active Heightening powers, join a PM, Lifeless control, role powers.
Saboteur kill/Cut Out Their Tongue! does not use an action.

PMs: Players may use their action each cycle to create a single PM. However, all other participants must also use their action on the same PM. So each person can be in only one PM per cycle, and if they are, they cannot take any other actions.

This should work like QF5: when starting a PM, wait for all other player/s to agree before sharing anything. Until all player/s agree, you are free to withdraw and use your action elsewhere (such as another PM), but once everyone accepts, you are locked in and can’t switch to another action that cycle.

Order of actions (day): PM, Rope (use), pass Breath, prepare, votes, Strawman (Awaken + use), lynch

Order of actions (night): PM, Lifeless (Awaken), Clothing (use), Rope (Awaken + use), Clothing (Awaken)/Strawman (Awaken), pass Breath, read aura/Prepared/Martial Training, Saboteur (any)/Lifeless (kill), Lifeless (command change), Strawman (use), life sense

Breath

Players start with at least one unit of Breath. A player who has not been targeted by Cut Out Their Tongue! may choose to use their day or night action expending Breath, either in Awakening or passing their Breath to another. In addition, possessing Breath gives an aura sense ability.

Passing Breath: “My life to yours; my Breath become yours.” All the Breath you hold will be given to your target. They will be told your identity and the amount of Breath transferred, but no other information will be revealed, whether privately or in thread.

Heightenings: All players with Breath can use their action to observe another player’s aura to determine how many Breaths they have. Sensitivity increases with the number of Breaths held: the bin size for a player with N breaths is ceil(10/N). For N=2, ceil(10/N)=5, so they could distinguish between players with 1-5,6-10,11-15 etc. For N=4, ceil(10/N)=3, so the bins are 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 etc. Drabs (0 breaths) can always be identified.

Players with 10 breaths have reached the Fourth Heightening, and have perfect life sense. If they do not perform any other actions in a cycle, they will be told the names of any players that target them that cycle. This will not pick up Lifeless kills or actions by Drabs.

Awakening - Mechanics

Three things are required to Awaken: Breath, colour, and command.

Breath: Players must have the amount of Breath specified for each Awakening. Upon performing the Awakening, the Breath is transferred to the object, and is restored to you automatically once it has completed its purpose (at the end of the cycle for Rope/Strawman, after a protection for Clothing, never for Lifeless). If someone scans your aura, they will see the lower value.
It is possible to reduce the number of Breaths required for Awakening (with the exception of creating Lifeless). Skilled Awakeners automatically have all Breath costs reduced by 1 (though they can choose to pay the full price, to get around Clothing protection). In addition, it is easier to Awaken objects with humanlike form. Players may choose to spend their day action preparing a specific item (Rope, Strawman, or Clothing) to be Awakened. In the following night cycle only, the cost of any corresponding Awakening is reduced by 1. These effects can be combined, but the cost cannot be reduced below 1. The colour cost is not reduced in either case.

Colour: Awakening requires colour; players must expend colour charges equal to the number of Breaths required (not including reductions by Skilled Awakeners or preparation). One coloured cloth contains three colour charges. Players may also use their own blood; their vote will not count for the next X day cycles, where X is the number of colour charges used (including the current cycle, if Awakening during the day). They cannot Awaken using their own blood again until after the last cycle where their vote does not count. Players can choose where their colour charges come from – it is possible to perform a two-Breath Awakening with one charge from cloth and one from blood, leaving two charges in the cloth for future use.

Command: Awakening requires a clearly spoken command. Any player who has been targeted by Cut Out Their Tongue! is unable to: Awaken objects or Lifeless, pass their Breath to others, control or change command phrase of Lifeless.

Awakening - Types

Lifeless: There is a small chance for the lynch target to be available for reanimation as a Lifeless in the following night cycle. Players may bid Breath in thread; the highest number of Breaths bid will animate the Lifeless with a command phrase of their choice. The command phrase can be shared; any player who knows the command phrase can use their action to have the Lifeless perform a kill, or to change its command phrase. The winning bid will use an action.

Rope: roleblocks. Cancel votes, cancel night actions (except PMs), silence (can't talk in thread)
2 breaths: cancel vote (Awaken at night, use on any day afterwards)
3 breaths: night roleblock (Awaken and use same night)
4 breaths: night roleblock and silence (Awaken and use same night; target is silenced the following day. Breath is returned at the end of the day.)

Strawman: spy. If target performs Eliminator kill and another action, only the Eliminator kill will show up. Lifeless and Eliminator kills are not distinguished.
2 breaths: kind of action taken by target: PMinformationactive 
3 breaths: kind of action taken by target: PM, awaken (type), kill, pass Breath, use role (type)
4 breaths: list several players. At the end of the cycle, you receive all PMs sent by the first player on the list who uses a PM action.

Clothing: protection from Awakening actions (Rope or Strawman) and attacks. At the time of Awakening, you can choose to keep the clothing or pass it to someone else. (You will recover the Breath automatically, even if you give it away.) The holder of the clothing will be informed of what they were protected from. These will not protect in the night they are Awakened.
2-4 breaths: protect from first Awakening action of equal or lesser power

5 breaths: protect from first Awakening action or kill

Other Roles

Skilled Awakener: You can Awaken with one less Breath than needed by others, if you wish. The colour requirement does not change.

Prepared: You knew that mountain of paper you brought would come in handy! During the Night, you can spend your action looking into the history of one player, and discover their alignment.

Martial Training: You can choose one player to protect during the night. If that player is attacked by the Eliminators or a Lifeless, they survive, but you are injured and cannot protect again.

My Concerns

Complexity: I wanted to bring in colour and command as limiting factors. But does having two necessary resources just make things more complex without adding to the game? Would it be better moving colour to an on/off mechanism, like command?

Cut Out Their Tongue!: The power of this ability depends on the balance of Awakening and non-Awakening powers, as well as the amount of protection available. What I’m aiming for is something to be used rarely, but which is not useless compared to the kill. Obviously this will vary depending on the state of the game, but any thoughts on where it sits within the rules?

Doctor-Cop: It’s a dynamic to be wary of, and the elements are there. This is why the Saboteurs start with a stash of coloured cloths (so they have a reliable roleblock), but with the flexibility of Awakening, does that give them too much power?

PMs: Is this mechanic too restrictive to be useful? What about if it was restricted to two-person PMs?

Edited by twelfthrootoftwo

Another Sandman-inspired game, though mostly tangential to the plot of the comics themselves. A lot of the fluff at the beginning is based on the comic (though not lifted out of it).

The Cereal Convention of '89 (QF)

He didn't think there would be so many of them. He was a mighty hunter and woodsman, powerful and unafraid of anything that nature could throw at him, but waiting in the wings of the stage, he could feel his heart beat faster. He was afraid. Stage fright was not something he was used to.

Pull yourself together, he thinks to himself. Don't ruin it and go to pieces now. You're better than the people who do, you know that. You're the chairman of the Convention Committee. You set this all up. You just helped out last year, but this time it's all you. This is your moment of glory. Step up to the podium. That's it... Deep breath. Begin.

"Uh... Hello." There is silence. He coughs and takes another breath. Okay. Showtime. "Hello everyone. It's great to see so many of you out there. I see a lot of familiar faces, and quite a few new ones as well. And not just from America, either. Some of you have flown in from all over the world for our Convention."

"For those of you with us for the first time this year, my name - well, my media image - is Sawmill. You can probably guess why, right?" A few laughs. Good. "And before we get down to all the events, there are three rules that I have to tell you all. And it's important that they all get followed, if we all want to be here again next year."

"Firstly, don't use your real names. Use your preferred moniker or whatever the media has dubbed you. No civilian names whatsoever, okay? I don't care if you're okay with having your name out in the open, but we do not want that happening here. If one of us gets into a sticky situation, I don't want anyone else going down with them."

"Secondly, we don't defecate where we eat. We know that, and we're all alive and here today because we follow that rule back home. Well, that goes doubly here, when so many of us are at risk from any slip-ups.  Nobody does any collecting until the convention's over and we're all at least a hundred miles away. In particular, I don't want anyone coming back to this hotel afterwards. Not when they've been so good to us. So remember, no ties to us at all."

"Thirdly, I've been informed by a trusted source that there may be some undercover journalists sneaking in here to do a story on us. Well, we don't want them finding any dirt on us, right? And if anything does happen, we'll have to deal with it with tact."

"Now that the formal stuff's out of the way, please enjoy yourself. Sign up for any of the panels that interest you, if you feel like we could benefit from your experience. We have a select series of films being shown in the hotel's cinema, and food will be available at all times in the dining room. Sample everything on offer, and enjoy yourselves at this year's convention. Thank you."

General Rules

This is a standard 1-Turn-per-Cycle Quick Fix game. Players may or may not have any of the Roles. The Cereal Enthusiasts win if all the Intrepid Reporters are dead. The Intrepid Reporters win if they outnumber the Cereal Enthusiasts. A lynch will occur each Cycle, killing the player with the most votes, or a random player with the most votes if tied. If there are no votes, a random player will die.

Each Cycle, one of the Intrepid Reporters can use their Action to Investigate a player and have the police show up to arrest them, taking them out of the game in the style of an Eliminator kill. They can also (as a group, without using an Action) post one newspaper article each Cycle for the write-up. Players may undertake one Action per Cycle.

Roles

• Kidnapper - You can choose one player each even Cycle and lock them in the boot of their car. This prevents the targeted player from posting in the thread or taking Actions during the next Cycle. The player cannot be lynched that Cycle (as they aren't present). The kidnapper can then use an Action that next Cycle to kill their captive. If they do not, then the kidnapped player escapes and returns to the game.
  • Pillar of the Community - You are known for being a family man, a regular church-goer (or of another denomination of your choice), excellent neighbour, and all-round nice guy. As such, the police see nothing odd with you the first time you are Investigated. You may also use your Action each Cycle to have your vote count for double that Cycle.
  • Forensics Specialist - The best criminals are often people who supposedly work for the law. As you know all the tricks of the trade, you may plant false evidence for Stalkers. You may choose two players (who must be different but can include yourself) each Cycle. If the first takes any Actions that Cycle, they cannot be discovered, and if anyone Stalks the second player, it appears they did the first player's Action instead.
  • Stalker - You may follow a player for the Cycle, and discover any Actions that they take that Cycle, or that a Forensics Specialist makes them appear to take.
  • Black Widow - You and another player are paired at the start of the game, unbeknownst to the other. Your win condition is solely for that player to be dead at the end of the game and for you to survive, instead of the usual one for your Alignment.
  • Diabolist - You may sacrifice yourself or a willing player (who must send in a PM to that effect as their Action, or else you take no Action) during a Cycle. If you do, you may kill two other players.
Edited by Wyrmhero

An Idea for a role I had: The Omnicide

The Omnicide is a single player, on their own team. S/he isn't allied with the eliminators, or with the Villagers. Their win condition is to have no person left alive at the end of the game, Including themself. To do this, s/he has two abilities.

1. A one time, unstoppable kill, that can target anyone, including themself. 

2. Bonding. once each cycle, s/he can tie her/his life force to another person. That person will know they have been bonded by the Omnicide. If that person dies, nothing happens. But if the Omnicide dies, everyone s/he has bonded also dies. Those who have been bonded, do not know who else has been bonded.

So the way the Omnicide works, is to slowly, cycle by cycle, bond with players, until s/he's bonded every surviving player, then kills himself, taking out all the other players as well.

This changes the way the game is played. Players who are targeted by the Omnicide know that they will have to die to kill him, and to win. They will have to decide to reveal they have been bonded, possibly making them a target, or to keep it hidden, resulting in less Information for the village.

If the Bonded go after the Omnicide, they only quicken their death, but if they protect him/her for to long, they quicken the Village's death.

Thoughts?

This reminds me a lot of the Arsonist role from Town of Salem. Basically, they can douse a person with gas, causing them to be marked for death. The arsonist can then light a fire, killing everyone who is doused. Killing the Arsonist, does not ignite the doused, but lighting the fire doesn't cause the Arsonist to die. It's a fun role, but it's really difficult to win as. It's generally used as a distraction for the eliminators, to get the doused focused on finding the Arsonist. I should also mention that the Arsonist is immune to night kills, so they have ample power to cause havoc. They sometimes even ally with the Eliminators!

First, why, oh why, can't we have one of these Sandman-themed games? I, someone who before this year would say the words 'comic book' in the same sentence as 'teddy bear' and 'pacifier', have been indoctrinated into the cult of Gaimanism, and I believe I speak for comic readers present when I say why haven't I seen one of Wyrm's Sandman games yet?

Second, a generic suggestion based on Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

Shadow of the Wraith

Background

They say Uruk-Hai know no fear.

They are wrong.

There is a Wraith that stalks the Uruks. He has fought and killed dozens in a single skirmish without allies. Now, he hunts the five warchiefs, before commencing his plan to kill the Black Captains. For an Uruk, the Wraith is death incarnate, a bright sword glistening with black Uruk blood as it cleaves its way through countless denizens of Sauron. And the Wraith has only been growing stronger in its power.

He Brands those he finds useful, creating a loyal army hidden among his enemies. The members of Warchief Ashgarn's elite guard and their followers stand ready for an attack, both from the Wraith, and from within - from the Branded, those Uruks who will follow his orders and murder whom he chooses. If the Branded infiltrate Warchief Ashgarn's high bodyguards, then Warchief Ashgarn will die.

Factions

Loyalists

The Ranger terrifies you. Of course, you put on a show, feign bravado, but you know what will happen when he shows up - you will run for all you are worth. But Warchief Ashgarn will skin you alive if you run, and for now, you are more terrified of Ashgarn than the Wraith.

Branded

You have been marked by the Bright Master, the glow of his palm print visible only to other bearers of the Brand. Your objective is to brand or exterminate the prominent Loyalists. You may also win by replacing all of Warchief Ashgarn's bodyguards with Branded captains.

Roles

Berserker

You were bred for constant violence, and holster two axes to satiate the urge. You may make a single kill each cycle.

Crossbowman

It takes a brave orc to look his enemy in the eye from thirty meters away with a crossbow. Suffice to say, you are a coward, but that cowardice has saved your life time and time again. You may make a single kill during the entire game, and you are told the Traits of anyone who attacks you.

Defender

Your shield is both thick and large enough to shelter you from an opponent in front, and your halberd ensures that you never have to get into the thick of combat. You are provided with two lives, and may defend a single person per cycle. You may not choose the same person two cycles in a row.

Grunt

You are one among hundreds, but you have risen to a particularly influential position among other grunts, and can thus call in favors to re-direct them. Every cycle, you may roleblock someone.

Acquired Roles

Captain

There is something about you that impressed Warchief Ashgarn. in most occasions, Captain is an acquired role that is added onto your existing role. Once per game, you may call upon your influence to double your lynch vote. Captains are a public role, and cannot hide their identities, nor the role they had held previously. Orcs may decline to be promoted to captains, keeping their roles anonymous. For rp purposes, captains are expected to choose a second name upon achieving their rank, if they have not already.

Elite Captain

You are among the greatest of Warchief Ashgarn's soldiers. You may invoke your double lynch twice during the game, including if you used it as a regular captain.

Bodyguard

The Warchief trusts you to defend him should the Wraith make another appearance. There are only three bodyguards at any given time; one of them will be Branded at the start of the game. Bodyguards are capable of making an extra lynch vote every cycle. Bodyguard Traits are all public, though the Bodyguard can hide a single trait. The Eliminators win if all Bodyguards are Branded.

Sub-Roles

You may choose one of these roles upon becoming a Captain. The role is public knowledge. Note that sub-roles are deliberately underpowered compared to main roles, so as to not provide an over-advantage. For example, if Executioner was set to the same level as Berserker, then a Berserker who is promoted to Executioner gains two kills each cycle.

Executioner

Discipline. That is the foundation of orc society. Discipline one orc severely, and you weaken the resolve of one hundred. You may execute a single orc every three cycles. The killer is made public knowledge.

(Name) was executed by (Name) for (Executioner's Reason).

EDIT: I'll add an investigator role when I think of something that won't be overpowered and fits with the lore.

Sawbones

You are a makeshift surgeon, but orcs are not particularly nimble nor dexterous. The best you can do is prolong someone's life by one cycle. You may continue prolonging it as long as you wish, though you may only target a single orc each cycle to follow and, if need be, heal.

Slaver

You control the labor distribution throughout the fortress, and can re-direct slaves away from certain orcs. You may roleblock a single target per cycle.

Eliminator Kills

Each cycle, the Wraith will make an appearance, targeting a single orc chosen by the Branded. The Wraith's method is told to the Branded a cycle before it occurs. If another orc uses his role ability to defend the marked orc, he receives a single positive trait, gains a promotion and stops Eliminator Kills for the next cycle, followed by this message in the write-up.

(Name) has slain the Wraith!

There will occasionally be variations in Eliminator Kill patterns that consist of specific events with alternating rules. They are, as follows;

Brand

The Wraith will Brand a target rather than kill, converting that target to the Eliminators.

The Wraith was sighted, but no murder was attempted. The encampment watches and waits for whomever he converted.

Caragath Intrusion

The Wraith will sneak into the fortress atop a Caragath. This has no affect save to exploit the Fear of Caragors weakness on whomever is targeted.

A Caragath sneaked into the fortress, and tore out (Name)'s throat.

Or, if the target is defended,

The Wraith infiltrated the fortress atop a Caragath, but was killed by (Name) before he could murder (Name).

Graug Rampage

A Graug bursts through the main gate, the Ranger atop its back, as the orcs take shelter in their tents and hope it passes them unnoticed while crossbowmen fire at it from afar. The Eliminator Target cannot be defended, unless the defender has the trait Beast Slayer, in which case the defender gains an additional trait and a promotion.

A Graug tears down the main gate with the Wraith atop its shoulders, massacring its way through countless grunts and devouring (Name) before being brought down by crossbowmen. The Wraith escapes unseen.

Or, if the target is defended by someone with Beast Slayer,

A Graug tore through the main gate with the Wraith atop its shoulders, massacring its way through countless grunts, and almost devoured (name) before being brought down by (name).

Ghúl Swarm

A swarm of Ghúls will burst from beneath the earth, attacking two randomly selected targets alongside whomever the Branded chose. These additional targets may also be Branded. Even if the orcs attacked have no defensive roles, they only stand a 25% chance of dying, with the exception of the main Eliminator target. Those who survive the Ghúl Swarm will gain a single positive trait and a single weakness, as well as a 50% chance for promotion. They may decline the trait. Any orc with Beast Slayer will survive the night, unless he was the main target.

A horde of Ghúls burst into the camp last night, striking at random until driven away. (Name) (, Additional Names) was/were savaged by the swarm.

Traits

At the start of each game, you are given a random number of traits, half of which will be strengths, the other half of which will be weaknesses. The average number of traits will be either two or four.

Strengths

Beast Slayer

You know how to make the great beasts of Mordor bleed. You will survive Ghúl Swarms wherein you are not the target, have a 50% chance of surviving Caragath attacks, and, if your role allows you to defend another orc, you may save them from Graug attacks.

Hate of Ghúls/Caragors/Graugs

You have a particular resentment towards some of Mordor's creatures. You cannot have both a Hate and a Fear towards a particular beast. If you are attacked by that beast, you will always survive.

Hate of Master Suffering

Unlike most orcs, you have a strong respect for authority. You gain a life each time a higher-ranking orc is killed. You cannot gain more than a single life at a time from this Trait. This does not apply if you have more than one life when a higher-ranking orc dies. These extra lives do not apply to the lynch. For the Branded, this only applies if the higher ranking orc is also Branded.

Hate of Pain

You find strength in your pain, something to hold you to this world. You can survive a single attack, though not the lynch - this counts as two lives for the purposes of Hate of Master Suffering.

Strong-Willed

You have an indomitable will, and as such are able to resist the effects of being Branded. You also have a 50% chance to ignore any Fear Of weaknesses. Branded players cannot receive this trait.

Weaknesses

Clumsy

Regardless of being defended or not, being directly targeted by the Eliminators will end in your death.

Fear of Caragors//Ghúls/Graugs

You cannot survive an attack by the respective beast undefended, and are roleblocked for the following cycle after anyone is attacked by the respective beast. This overwrites Beast Slayer when it comes to the beast you have a fear of.

Fear of Betrayal

Each cycle a Branded orc is killed or an orc is executed by the Executioner, you have a 50% chance of being roleblocked. The Fear of Betrayal cannot apply to the Branded.

Fear of the Grave Walker

You cannot be saved by a Defender if you are the prime target of the Branded.

Weak Sword-Arm

All actions and votes on your part have a 25% chance to fail.

Edited by Adamir

• 2 weeks later...

This Idea has probably already been brought up, but what would you guys think about a "The Resistance" type game in the Sanderson universe? It would probably fall under a Super Quick-Fix type game (5 round max, but this could be altered). I know this is Sanderson Elmination, but we could have a game where no one dies, right? 

Downside is we would probably need to limit the number of players per game. Let me know what you think of the concept!

If you're not familiar with The Resistance (or Avalon), I will be typing up the base outline when I have more time.

This Idea has probably already been brought up, but what would you guys think about a "The Resistance" type game in the Sanderson universe? It would probably fall under a Super Quick-Fix type game (5 round max, but this could be altered). I know this is Sanderson Elmination, but we could have a game where no one dies, right?

Downside is we would probably need to limit the number of players per game. Let me know what you think of the concept!

If you're not familiar with The Resistance (or Avalon), I will be typing up the base outline when I have more time.

I have a similar take on the Resistance game on here somewhere, but it runs rather different to the game itself - Mistrun: In Search of Ruin. That's styled as an SE game with a subgame. Each Cycle, a number of players are selected to make an attack. In the vein of Resistance, they all vote if they want it to succeed or not. If someome says no, a player dies. Thus the idea is that the Eliminators get to potentially kill more players but at a risk to themselves.

However, that is still able to be mostly ignored if the Eliminators choose to do so. It would be interesting to see how a fully-fledged Resistance-game worked on here. How would you flavour or run it to be Sanderson? Any additional mechanics from the base game?

Edited by Wyrmhero

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Moderators, can I be added to the Quickfix GM list please? I have an Infinity Blade themed game I'm working on that I think will be a lot of fun to run. I will post the rules in this thread once I get a workable version of them done. Thanks. :)

EDIT: And for anyone interested, no I have not forgotten about v2 of my Elantris rules. I will get them posted soon(ish), too.

Edit2 testing

Edited by Herowannabe

A Winter’s Tale

Over a hundred years ago, in the Fell Winter of 1311, the Baranduin and the other rivers froze over. As the ice and snow wreathed the Bree-land and even the Shire, the unusually harsh winter drew with it other, darker creatures: White Wolves invaded from the frozen Northlands, roaming in search of helpless prey.

There are many tales of the Fell Winter. This is one of them.

Many miles between the eastern borders of the Bree-land and Weathertop lies the Forsaken Inn. It is the last lone reminder of civilisation, and a welcome sight for weary travellers before the Road stretches on into the wilderness.

During the Fell Winter, a group of weary travellers find themselves snowed in at the Forsaken Inn. Wolves howl at the very edges of the fences and dark, dreadful shapes can be made out in the distance. Their only hope is to stay put and to wait for the heavy snowfall to subside.

But this is the least of their worries, as the body of one of their fellow travellers is discovered in the cellar, his throat slit. On inspection, it is clear that he has been very recently killed.

And the murderer is trapped among them...

General Rules:

1. This game is built as a regular QF, with 24-hour cycles referred to as ‘Days’. Voting will be done in the thread and actions (where applicable) will be sent by PM to the GM. Write-ups will be regularly-informative: roles and alignments will be revealed upon death, while if a kill is thwarted (whether by Athelas or the Dwarf Veteran’s Guardian ability), it will be reflected in the write-up, though the identities of the guardian and the target will be concealed.

2. As this is a QF, the lynch will always bring about a death. If the Dwarf Veteran protects the lynch target, then the person with the second-highest votes on them will die instead. In addition, if there is a tie in the number of votes, then the player who is killed will be randomly determined (either by rolling a die or flipping a coin, depending on the number of tied players.)

3. No PMs may be sent in this game.

4. Inactivity brings about a penalty. After two cycles of inactivity, the Innkeeper will insist that the inactive player earn their keep by checking on the stabled horses, effectively turning them out into the snowstorm to die. (Activity in this game is only constituted either by having posted in the thread, or by having sent the GM a PM.)

5. There are two Factions in this game: the Travellers and the Brigands, who have access to a Faction Kill. One member of the Brigands will be selected to perform the kill each cycle; the kill will be rotated among the Brigands in a fixed order. The Brigands also have access to a Faction Doc.

6. This is the Stack/Order of Actions:

-Lynch Voting
-Guardian
-Kills: Lynch, Brigand, Henbane
-Athelas
-Skilled Tracker

Win Conditions:

-The Travellers win the game when all of the Brigands are dead.

-The Brigands win the game when they outnumber all the surviving Travellers.

Roles:

Traveller: You are an ordinary traveller, staying at the Forsaken Inn, perhaps hoping to make your way to the Bree-land or to the wilderness beyond Weathertop. Unfortunately, the winter has proven unusually harsh, and you find yourself stranded at the Inn, hoping that the weather clears up sometime soon...

Brigand: With the harsh winter, and the wolves destroying your camp and killing your comrades, you have found yourself driven to the Forsaken Inn, as much in search of shelter from the elements as easy prey. Perhaps with most of the Travellers dead, you can rifle through their belongings and the Innkeeper’s strongbox and thereby recoup your losses...

Southerner: You are a stranger in these lands, having come up along the Greenway from the South, ostensibly in search of better prospects. You are, however, being well-paid to serve as Saruman’s eyes and ears in the Bree-land, in particular, to keep track of Gandalf’s movements. For now, however, you have fallen in with the Brigands due to common interests.

•Stealthy: You have been recruited for your skill at espionage. You know how to cover your tracks well; this prevents your actions from being discovered by the Ranger’s tracking.

Ranger: You are one of the Dúnedain of Arnor, a scion of a people scattered and broken by the death of Arvedui and the destruction of Arthedain before the might of Angmar. You are accustomed to living rough in the wilderness of Eriador, defending the unknowing Bree-folk and Shire-folk from the darkness that still lurks in the realm.

•Skilled Tracker: Years of journeying in the wilderness have made the Ranger a master of survival and tracking. The Ranger is capable of remaining hidden when he does not wish to be seen; moreover, the Ranger is capable of reading environmental traces once every cycle to determine what actions a targeted player has undertaken.

Dwarf Veteran: You are a grizzled veteran, displaced from your home in the Lonely Mountain a long time ago by the fury of the dragon Smaug. You have travelled up the Greenway to the Bree-land, seeking to ply your trade as an itinerant smith, but now the jobs have dried up to a trickle and the Bree-folk are staring at you and muttering about strangers stealing the work, so you have packed your things and are once again following the Road.

•Guardian: You have trained as a warrior and fought in the six year-war, raiding Orc strongholds with your kinsmen all over the Misty Mountains. You were in the vanguard during the Battle of Azanulbizar and it is likely by Mahal’s grace that you survived where many others did not. Every once a cycle, you may target a player (yourself included) to defend from all harm. You cannot target the same player twice in a row.

Herbalist: While many herbalists peddle cures that do not possess any medicinal virtue whatsoever, you are one of the rare few in whom the old medicinal knowledge from the days of Arthedain yet survives. You are a herbalist and a loremaster, travelling from the Bree-land to distant Rivendell in order to avail yourself of some of the healing lore still preserved there by the Elves.

•Athelas (x3): It is very difficult to find Athelas growing in the wilderness in this day and age, and though you’ve endeavoured to grow some of your own samples, you are running low on supplies. While you are unable to heal mortal wounds with athelas, you find yourself able to ease the pain of the stricken. Three times in the game, you may target a player. While you cannot protect them from death, you are able to delay their death by one cycle.

•Henbane (x3): Those who know the healing arts know as well how to kill with plants. You have carefully-wrapped and dried leaves of henbane for when difficulties must be solved with poison. Three times in a game, you may poison and kill a player with these henbane leaves.

I'm not particularly fussed about the Herbalist at the moment: as I see it, I need to work out if a charge of Athelas is squandered if they use it on a person who isn't killed. The number of charges of Athelas/Henbane they get can be accordingly tweaked, IMO. And I'm definitely thinking that they can only use either Athelas or Henbane in a cycle. Otherwise, it's a simple QF, I think, and fairly bog-standard.

And just Village-Eliminator. No Factions :P That last bit's very important.

P.S. I blame Wyrm. He's had me procrastinating on thesis because LotR >>.

Edited by Kasimir