The Art of Game Creation

Metacognition

The problem with Cults winning together is it's too easy, (As we learned in my hoid game). Herowannabe had the brilliant idea of how to counter that with the converts losing, but the Gyorn and Monk winning.

Fair. The reason why I thought it was OK was that the conversion action only has about a 60% chance of succeeding (About 6-7 players will probably be immune at any given time). In addition, the convert can't bring any information with him/her, because they would have to be a member of Jesker (who don't have any PM's or Docs) for it to go through.

If you really think it would make it too easy, though...

Just why? this limits a lot of stuff, like giving the cult one kill per 4 cycles.

Well, I did the "Sequence Thing" as I was trying to figure out how the kill actions would all fit together. 3 Eliminator kills/conversions every 2 cycles seemed a little high. I suppose I could simplify it, but...

The Cult, I think, is practically on the good team. I didn't want their kill action to be too powerful. That was the main thing, I suppose.

Does this mean that you can keep the same five people in the senate the whole game?

And do these votes have to be made by senators, or can they be made by anyone?

Theoretically, no one has to be elected, and it's quite probable that no one will be recalled.

And, yeah, with all the vote actions, I figured it would get kind of confusing.  :mellow:

But anyway, regular players get two votes every cycle: The Lynch Vote and the Senate Election/Recall vote. Senators get four votes: Lynch Vote, Senate Election/Recall, Vote for who gets the Senate Lynch Votes, and Resolution Pass/Fail.

Not sure if that explanation made it less confusing, but...

Is this the only time the cult can win?

Nah, but they can win this way. If someone came up with a better Resolution, though, I could go with that.

--------------------------------------

Everything Else: I'll take your word for it.

--------------------------------------

And thanks for the feedback. It was exhilarating.  B)

Edited by mckeedee123

Wyrm's Shardship Ingenuity

First off, I would love to play an an in-character game. and on to questions.

Does this mean there will be a set time limit for finding the Traitors/outnumbering the Loyalists?

Can traitors start out as engineers? And can a traitor be turned into an Engineer? What happens if the last engineer is killed the same cycle that a new one is made by the P.O.?

There is no time limit. That's just a bit of flavour, really, to explain why they can't just get help. Engineers can be traitors - They can start as them, or turn into them. In this case, they do not count for whether or not the HI is subverted. Essentially, they would be Assistants. This is part of the reason I would like a little more for the Engineers, to prevent them from just being roleless but vital, if you see what I mean. The Personnel Officer's ability will happen before kills, so the HI would not be subverted in this case.

Wyrm's House Divided

attachicon.gifabe lincoln.jpg

Yeah, since they can target more people, that nicely balances them.

As only their target gets them IP, it's more that they can gain points off of thrice as many Roles as other players.

It might just be me but this system seems like it will cause bandwagons.  If there is even a small chance that the one being killed is an eliminator then everyone will just pile on the votes.

Yes, it will probably cause bandwagons. I'm not entirely decided if that's a good thing or not, since it works entirely with the theme of the game. However, that many disruptive influences may be a few too many to make it justified.

Wilson's Divided Loyalties:

Yes, I did just name your game for you.

Restares and Thaidakar should probably be 'Safe' Roles.

Friction just doesn't make sense for what it did in the book

Reverse Seeker (?) - Ardent maybe? They're responsible for soulcasting the dead.

Vote manipulator (?) - Lighteyes? or maybe Landlord?

Scout (?) - Survivalist? or Hunter.

Runner - Good name

Assassin - Good Name

Action Discovery (?) - Um, fabrial engineer? or, Investigator?

Ardent (?) - Ardent works, but it goes better with the reverse seeker.

I might just use that name in part. :)

You're probably right that Thaidakar and Restares should be safe roles. I'm not going to do that though, because of the very definition of safe roles. While it makes logical sense for them to be safe, I can't see any way to balance the game so they wouldn't reveal themselves and then get their teams to protect them for the rest of the game. I will never put a safe role in any game I build unless I'm balancing the game from the beginning to counter any revelation, making it unlikely that there would ever be a strategic reason to reveal (that's actually something I'm attempting with a different game I'm currently building). I'm not a fan of safe roles revealing, and then Team Good rallying around them making it impossible for Team Evil to kill them. Call it trauma from LG4, if you will. :P

Yeah, I know Friction doesn't make sense. I initially had Friction as what Transportation basically is--a protection from all actions, because they're so quick no one can find them. But I couldn't figure out anything else that really worked for Transportation, so I had to come up with something else for Friction. Basically, the idea is that the Edgedancer is so fast, they sneak into the room, read the messages, and get out without getting caught. 

Those role names are pretty good. I figured out names for them a few days ago, though. Let me know what you think (I put the role description for the cook and the assassin because they don't make sense otherwise. But I'm highly entertained by them):

Surgeon - You can protect any player from one attack per night, but you cannot protect yourself.

Runner - Each night, you can create a PM with one player. Send in your request to the GM, who will set it up for you at the end of the night (accounting for any redirection and/or other blocking abilities). This PM can continue for as long as both participants are alive.

Artifabrian - Pick a target. One random action that would affect target comes to you instead.

Ardent - Change a vote (including no vote) to another player

Cook - You learned your impressive culinary skills among the Horneaters, and you can cook a meal like these lowlanders haven’t ever tasted before. You know how to mask the most potent flavors in a dish, and occasionally, you’ve been known to use that skill for less-than-pleasant purposes. You’ve racked up quite the body count with some of your culinary surprises. Each night, you can attempt to kill any player.

Veristitalian Scholar - Seek the dead to discover alignment and role.

Explorer - Each night, you can prevent any and all actions targeting you from affecting you.

Assassin - You’re a master assassin, and you have many skills at your disposal. You’re invisible when you want to be, you have a knack for learning the information you need to get into inaccessible places, and you see things others tend to miss. Unfortunately for you, your assassin services aren’t needed as much here in Urithiru, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use your other skills. You can watch a player any night, learning the identity of one random player who targeted them (regardless of whether the action succeeded or not) <--Liss was the inspiration behind this one.

I'm foreseeing a write up where the cook kills the assassin. And i'm loving it.

On the subject of safe roles, One of my games has a role that is 'Safe', but it'a ability is that it's immune to all other roles, other than lynch and Eliminator kill. So if he's careful, he can organize the people, but as soon as who he is becomes widespread, he gets killed, since he's immune to the protective roles.

I'm foreseeing a write up where the cook kills the assassin. And i'm loving it.

On the subject of safe roles, One of my games has a role that is 'Safe', but it'a ability is that it's immune to all other roles, other than lynch and Eliminator kill. So if he's careful, he can organize the people, but as soon as who he is becomes widespread, he gets killed, since he's immune to the protective roles.

I know, right? The write-ups in general regarding those two (particularly the cook, whenever he kills) could get hilarious.

And that's actually exactly what I mean about building a safe role intentionally so the person can't reveal. That's a really interesting ability though. Good nerf for the safe role (which is kind of in itself an ability).

The safe role I'm working on is actually a group of safe roles who have a secret vote. The target of the secret vote loses their role and their ability to talk in the thread (but they can still PM). The catch is that it requires 4 or more votes to target someone, so it's unlikely to happen unless it's coordinated, and even then I think Team Good will be hesitant to coordinate it without being nearly certain someone is evil. And coordinating in the thread will be difficult without revealing roles. Plus, there are only 2-3 protective roles (at most), so by the time that all the safe roles can be protected, those safe roles won't even be a threat anymore. I'm still working on it. I only started building that game on Friday, and I haven't really done much with it outside of coming up with that idea, so now I'll be building the rest of the game around it to balance it more. I'm not even sure it'll work, but I hope it will. Could be a very interesting mechanic (the result of the secret vote, that is).

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda its own game, but along the same lines:

At night(whatever), everyone votes for someone. You must vote and can only pick one person. You can not pick yourself.

During the day, everyone finds out how many times they were voted for. They get as many chances to guess who voted for them as the number of votes they received until they discover someone. The Host does not vote nor can be voted for. The host will keep track of votes and tell the numbers to each person. The host will confirm correct guesses.

Someone who is discovered loses the game.

The game ends when only two remain. They are the winners.

A twist that to the regular game style:

Each night, you can guess someone who will attempt to kill you. If you are right on at least one person who attacked you, you are safe.

I guess this is more of a free-for-all type game instead of preset teams.

Kinda its own game, but along the same lines:

At night(whatever), everyone votes for someone. You must vote and can only pick one person. You can not pick yourself.

During the day, everyone finds out how many times they were voted for. They get as many chances to guess who voted for them as the number of votes they received until they discover someone. The Host does not vote nor can be voted for. The host will keep track of votes and tell the numbers to each person. The host will confirm correct guesses.

Someone who is discovered loses the game.

The game ends when only two remain. They are the winners.

A twist that to the regular game style:

Each night, you can guess someone who will attempt to kill you. If you are right on at least one person who attacked you, you are safe.

I guess this is more of a free-for-all type game instead of preset teams.

You should see if you can find a place where you can fit that into a Cosmere context.

Winter Cloud's Inter-Planetary Complications:

You're effectively running three games, with a few players who are in all three. and you have 7 factions if I'm counting correctly, plus spies in various factions. This is even more complicated than The Stormfather and the Nightwatcher.

Are you honestly intending this game to be run? or do you just want the distinction for having the most complicated game? If the former, good luck.

I do intend it to run. It IS going to be a LG, if that's any reassurance.

A twist like that to the regular game style:

That's actually a really cool game mechanic... I think I can tie this into my Defending Elysium game. Here's what I've got so far.

Eliminating Elysium

First off, there are massive spoilers for Defending Elysium, a short story Brandon wrote, in this game. Thankfully, the story is free to read on Brandon's website. Here's a link to it. Now then, on to the game itself.

Chaos has erupted in the Outer Platforms after it has been revealed that rogue aliens have been impersonating humans in an attempt to gain superior weaponry. Unfortunately for the residents of Jupiter Platform 19, their matter disruptor factory is a prime target for the rebels.

Win Conditions:

Aliens: Outnumber the Humans

Humans: Kill all of the aliens.

Cytonics:

The ability to sense other minds is present in all intelligent lifeforms. During the night cycle, a player can protect himself from the actions of another player. If that player tries to use an action on the protected party, it will not happen, and will be revealed in the write-up for all to see.

For example, Tom (A normal Human) sends in his night action to protect himself from Steve. Steve tries to kill Tom during the night. It will be revealed in the write-up that Steve tried to kill Tom, and Tom will survive.

Roles:

UIB Agent: Instead of using Cytonics, you can target one player during the night to learn that player's role and alignment.

Cyto Adept: You can target two players with your Cytonic powers.

Phone Company Operator: You can target two players with your Cytonic powers. Furthermore, instead of using Cytonics, you can kill a target player.

Alien: You swapped minds with a human, and now look just like one of them. You have a Google Doc to conspire in, and you have a group kill.

I'd be interested in running this as a Quick Fix Game. Feel free to give me suggestions about the game.

Inspired by the classic simplicity of the Anniversary Game (and my own boredom), I decided to make a relatively simple game, and then add in an interesting mechanic that all of the roles revolve around.  Not really sure whether this should be run as a Long Game or a Mid-Range with 24 hour Days and Nights, as it could really work both ways.  I call it: Alethi Corruption.

The Game

Highprince Sadeas is up to his old tricks, slipping poison in a few choice drinks, and silently seeding rumors throughout Dalinar Kholin’s warcamp.  The old Blackthorn himself has decided to address this issue, noticing that Sadeas has become increasingly uncooperative, and that multiple brightlords have mysteriously gone missing.  As members of the high Alethi society (or so you like to think), it is your job to find Sadeas’s rumormongers and avoid the corruption of the upper class.

The Rules

Each Day, there is a lynch vote, and each Night, one of the Conspirators makes a Night Kill (in place of their role ability).  The game begins on Day 1.

The goal for the Nobles is to eliminate all of the Conspirators.  The goal for Sadeas’s Conspirators is to outnumber the Nobles.  The Conspirators have a google doc to scheme in.

1-on-1 PMs are allowed, but can only be started/used during the Night.  Group PMs are not allowed at all.  All PMs must include the GM.

Players must have at least 2 votes on them in order to be lynched, and tied votes result in no lynch.  Lynched players have their role and alignment revealed.  Players killed during the Night have their alignment revealed, but not their role.  It will not be revealed whether a player was Corrupt or not when they died.

The Roles

Each player will have a different role.  All roles in black may be of either alignment, while roles in red are solely Conspirator-aligned, and roles in green are solely Noble-aligned.  There may be multiple of some roles, and some roles may not necessarily be distributed.

High Brightlord: You are the center of rumor and gossip, and dispense it like windspren into a highstorm.  Each Night turn, you may choose to target any other player (including a fellow Conspirator) to become Corrupt for the rest of the game.  Corrupt players do not change their role or alignment, and are not aware that they have been Corrupted.  Corrupt players have reversed role abilities (see each role for specific rules).  Upon death, the High Brightlord converts a chosen Corrupt player to the Conspirator team.  The High Brightlord may change their target convert at any time before they die.  There will not be multiple High Brightlords.

Ardent: You are a decent Vorin follower, and are fed up with all of this deceit and corruption.  Once per Night, you may target a player to discover if they are Corrupt.  (However, the High Brightlord masks his Corruption well, so he does not appear Corrupt.)  You are also unable to be Corrupted.  Both you and the High Brightlord will be informed of any failed Corruption attempts on you.

Brightlord/Brightness: One of the common members of the Alethi nobility, you consider yourself “refined,” and believe that everyone should emulate you.  During the Night, since you aren’t going off doing other things, you may secretly vote for another player via PM.  The player with the most votes on them during the Night is reported as a “villainous scoundrel,” and receives an additional vote against them in the next Day vote.  However, this extra Day vote will not be revealed until the Day turn is over.  When Corrupt, your vote actually negates 1 secret vote against the target player.

Artifabrian: With a few choice fabrials, you can try to soothe out the corruption from the nobility.  Each Day, you may choose another player to target, removing Corruption from them for the following Night and Day.  The target will be informed at the start of the Night that they are not Corrupt for the duration of the next cycle.  However, when Corrupt, you instead spread the corruption with your fabrials.  Each cycle, your target becomes Corrupt for that Night and following Day (and are not notified of this).

Spy: With a spyglass in hand, and an eye for detail, you can tell when people are up to no good.  Each Night, you can spy on a player, revealing their alignment (but not role or whether they are Corrupt).  However, when Corrupt, your spying always gives the wrong result.  (So spying on a Noble will give a Conspirator result, and spying on a Conspirator will give a Noble result.)

Guardsman: As is your duty, you defend another player (not yourself) from all sorts of attacks during each Night.  When Corrupt, you “accidently” kill your target, rather than defending them.

Assassin: You are one of the most devious and sneaky people in the warcamps.  Good thing you’re working for a noble cause… right?  As a Night action, you may kill a target.  When Corrupt, you befriend your victim and defend them from all Night attacks, rather than killing them.

Worldsinger: You are a master storyteller, but your stories are so long that they usually put people to sleep!  As a Day action, you may target a player to have their vote cancelled.  When Corrupt, you spread seeds of propaganda in your stories, causing your target to be inspired and their vote to count as double.

Courier: You are one of the poor souls who runs messages around the warcamps.  Luckily, that gives you the chance to peek at some of the messages.  Each Day, you can choose two players, and see any PMs between the two of them during the following Night.  When Corrupt, you instead refuse to deliver any messages between those two players, preventing them from PMing each other.  (At the end of the Night, you will be informed that no PMs took place between the target players.)

Scholar: As a scholar, it is your duty to seek information and knowledge.  As a Night Action, you may choose to search for information about a specific deceased player, learning their role and whether they were Corrupt at the time of their death.  However, if you end up getting Corrupted, your notes become a bit sloppy, and you learn information about a different dead player (whose name is not revealed to you).

Order of Night Actions:
1. Corruption, Artifabrian
2. Ardent
3. Brightlord/Brightness Vote
4. Protective Abilities
5. Kills
6. Spy, Scholar

Ooh, I really like that game, Ren! That Corruption Mechanic looks awesome, great job! It actually looks rather solid as is! I even like how you utilized the secret 'Dragon' vote from my WoT!

Also, popping in here to propose Two more game ideas (One LG and one probably MR), so add me to the GM list for both! XD

Mid-Range(ish): Welcome to the Steel Ministry! You are the newest recruits for the Canton of Inquisition, and have been shown the wonders of Hemalurgy! But none of you have your coveted Eye Spikes yet, and you must earn them! There is a small group of Skaa Traitors who have infiltrated the Ministry, to learn the secrets of Hemalurgy and to find a way to kill The Lord Ruler! You must Eliminate them before they do the same to you!
;)

Long Range game: The Chromeria!
For all the fans of Brent Week's Lightbringer Series, I am working on a full-fledged game, exploring multiple aspects of the world and books, and while I just started working on this one, it's shaping up to be epic already! For anybody who is fully caught up to Book 3 that would like to take a sneak peek, just shoot me a PM for the link! (Don't want to post it here until it's more worked out, but I could always use a few extra sets of eyes of course!) The game shouldn't contain any actual spoilers for the 3rd book when it runs (depending on how long it is until I run it, of course), but the game-building discussion and random book tangents might contain some!

Inspired by the classic simplicity of the Anniversary Game (and my own boredom), I decided to make a relatively simple game, and then add in an interesting mechanic that all of the roles revolve around.  Not really sure whether this should be run as a Long Game or a Mid-Range with 24 hour Days and Nights, as it could really work both ways.  I call it: Alethi Corruption.

This is neat.

There have been a few games that have been added here that are not part of the GM list yet. I know not everyone who comes up with a game is ready to jump in and try to GM one, so if everyone who would like their game included on the GM list, please PM me and I'll get everyone added! :)

While working on this (currently secret) game set in Roshar, I surprised myself by coming up with the idea for a Reckoners QF. This is set way before the events of Steelheart, so there shouldn't be any spoilers from Firefight in the game. I'd appreciate some feedback as my current inclination is that the QF is a bit too elaborate: I'm tempted to 'trim' the roles off more by possibly leaving out the Veterans and the Ex-Convict, in order to reduce the Town's safety net.

This QF was inspired by the idea that we have a lot of players here who appreciate mindgames and messing with their fellow players' heads (i.e. trolling) way too much :P Without further ado, I present to you:

Riddles in the Dark: a Reckoners QF

A game of deception, mindgames, and atmospheric creepiness.

You wake.

Nothing meets your eyes but an impenetrable darkness. All is silent. You prick your ears, trying to pick up the slightest sound, and are rewarded with the drip-drip-drip of water somewhere.

Your head aches. Who are you? What do you remember?

Finally!” says a voice you don’t recognise. “You’re awake.” A flame flares to life; the face partly-illuminated by the lighter is one you don’t recognise. Grimy and tired, the person nods to you. “Another one here to join us, I suppose.”

Who are you?” you croak, are surprised to find your throat is bone-dry. He hands you a flask of water and you accept it.

As you drink slowly, he replies, “I’m Kam. I’m one of the survivors.” His mouth twists in an expression you’re not sure what to make of. At your puzzlement, he goes on. “You see, right now, you’re one of us. A prisoner of the Epic Acuity.”

This takes place somewhere near the tail-end of 2014: shortly after the first Epics began to manifest their powers, but before Steelheart claimed control of Chicago. In essence: you used to be a resident of the city of Chicago. Now, the Epic Acuity has made you an unwilling participant in one of his twisted games. You’re one in a group of prisoners in a dark shack. All you know is that your only chance at freedom is to play the game…

And to unravel the trail of riddles to find and eliminate the traitors hidden among you…

Before they claim your life.

-

General rules:

1.This game is a QF, and as such, will follow typical QF rules. Cycles will be 24 hours long, with the lynch and the Traitor kill taking place within the same cycle. Write-ups will reveal interactions that matter (e.g. a successful save by the Medical Examiner), as well as allegiances and roles upon death. Orders must be sent in by PM, but votes need only be placed in the thread.

2.Because this is a QF, there will be a penalty for inactivity. Inactive players will be killed after two cycles of not having posted.

3.There will be a general blanket ban on PMs. However, players who have placed a vote will be permitted to send one anonymous PM of less than 1000 characters to another player, through the GM.

4.This is the order of actions: M.E. save → lynch → kills → PMs.

5.There are two factions in this game: the Civilians and the Traitors. In order to prevent players from deducing Traitor identity from meta-game hints such as time spent in the Personal Messenger, Traitors will instead get access to a group doc. In addition, Traitors get access to a group kill and must appoint one of their number to execute the kill.

6.This game utilises the Riddles (trail of breadcrumbs) mechanic. See the following section for the explanation of what this entails.

7.There is always another secret. (This does not affect gameplay, I promise.)

Riddles/Trail of Breadcrumbs mechanic:

As you may have noticed (probably not, since the Roles section is further below…), this QF will not employ a Seeker. Instead, the Traitors and the Ex-Convict will come up with a list of suitably cryptic (but fair) hints/messages beforehand. This list must be approved by the GM. If the list is exhausted, then a GM hint/message will instead be provided. With each successive kill (made by both the Traitors and the Ex-Convict), a hint/clue as to the killer’s identity will be left behind in the write-up.

So, for instance: if there are four Traitors, then the message/hint left behind will only pertain to the Traitor who made the kill.

Win conditions:

Civilians: Kill all the Traitors.

Traitors: Outnumber all the Civilians.

Roles:

Civilian: You’re an ordinary person, snatched away from your life in Chicago, and now you find yourself an unwilling participant in Acuity’s twisted game. But chin up: if you keep your wits about you, you might just make it out alive…

Medical Examiner: It’s been years since you graduated from med school, and since then, you’ve done your residency as a medical examiner. Still, although your skills lie more in the direction of cutting up dead bodies and figuring out what killed them, your med school basics are still there, if rusty. Once a cycle, you can pick a player to save from death (i.e. lynches or kills.)

Ex-Convict: You did time, before. It wasn’t pleasant. You’ve tried to turn your life around and go straight, but unfortunately, you found yourself captured by Acuity’s machinations. Still, you’re resilient and resourceful. You’ve gotten your hand on a few materials, and slowly made yourself a shiv. Unfortunately, the improvised shiv is fragile and will shatter after two uses.

Watchman: The shack is dark, but fortunately, you have a limited light source. The Watchman takes care of the candles, makes sure you can see each other’s faces. When the Watchman dies, the lights go out. Roles and allegiances are no longer declared upon death. In addition, write-ups will no longer differentiate between Veteran survival and the Medical Examiner’s protection. Most importantly, hints will no longer be given upon kills.

Veteran: You’ve spent some time serving your country, and you’ve seen combat in a few places. Although you’ve been discharged from the military, your physical conditioning is still superb, allowing you to survive and recover from injuries better than others. In-game, this grants you an extra life.

Traitor: You’re an ordinary person, snatched away from your life in Chicago, and now you find yourself an unwilling participant in Acuity’s twisted game. Except that you know the truth: that in the end, everyone’s just out for themselves. So you’ve cut a deal with Acuity: if you kill the rest of your fellow prisoners, you’ll walk free. Sounds pretty good, doesn’t it?

Edited by Kasimir

• 2 weeks later...

Mistrun: Megacorporate Takeover (LG)

The 'Final' Empire was not so final.

Five hundred years since the death of the old world and the birth of the new, and the face of Scadrial has changed completely. Sprawling metropolises litter the landscape, from the city of Elendel on the North Pole, all the way around to its counterpart in the South. The world is smaller now, and the secrets it once hid had been brought to light. No longer do people only worship Harmony, or Ironeyes, or the ghost of The Lord Ruler. The only god here is capitalism.

The rulers of this land are the ten 'Megacorporations', vast businesses that have divided the world and its resources up between them. They employ most of the people on Scadrial, and for those they employ, life is good. People slip between the cracks, but that is to be expected when they hate the Megacorps and refuse their aid. Many turn criminal, becoming 'Mistrunners', and breaking into or hacking the Megacorps to cause damage or steal.

'From cradle to grave': You were born in a Heron IndustriesTM  hospital. You were raised in a Heron IndustriesTM  nursery. Educated in a Heron IndustriesTM  school. You work for Heron IndustriesTM. You get your metals from a Heron IndustriesTM foundry. And when you die, you will be buried by a Heron IndustriesTM  funeral service, in a Heron IndustriesTM  cemetery. You don't have to worry about the less important things in life, because you know Heron IndustriesTM  will see you through.

This means that you can focus on your job - more importantly, the advancement of your job. Opportunities for promotion are not rare, though the Megacorps make you work for it. Such an opportunity has recently arisen, as a matter of fact. Word has come down from upon high that they suspect a group of Mistrunners has managed to infiltrate the work force at the Heron IndustriesTM Headquarters, based in Elendel. Not only can you help to protect your jobs, but perhaps your superiors will take notice of your love for Heron IndustriesTM and reward you appropriately...

Setting

Based on the cyberpunk dystopian world of Shadowrun, players are all employees of one of the ten Megacorporations of the world, Heron IndustriesTM (which develops many things, but focuses mainly on the mining, processing and transportation of metals). Players have been employed by them all their working life, and are pampered and well-treated in the city that is the local Heron IndustriesTM headquarters.

But the flip side of this is that a criminal underworld has developed in response, based on the Skaa underworld of the Final Empire. Some see the Megacorporations as tyrants that use their power to crush any who try to stand against them (and perhaps they are right - Megacorporations have their own cities, their own police, and are even considered to be sovereign countries within international law). Others simply see the lifestyle the Megacorporations can provide, and want to take it for themselves. Regardless of their reasons, however, these criminals, or 'Mistrunners' often attack Megacorporations and their assets, trying to harm the company as much as possible. Due to the need for good publicity, often a Megacorporation will even hire them to attack a rival covertly, destroying or stealing data to ensure they remain a step ahead.

But for most players, only two things matter: They are trying to destroy your livelihood, and it's a great opportunity to prove your loyalty and get ahead of your peers. Can you survive the cutthroat world of business and get that fabled promotion to the top?

Rules

This game acts like a standard Elimination game, except that players are Fired rather than lynched or killed by Eliminators. Players are Fired at the end of the next Day Turn. A Fired player is sent to the Jobseekers' Doc, cannot interact with Employed players in the thread, and cannot send PMs or take any actions. Roles and Alignments are only revealed when a player dies.

The Mistrunners win if the number of them Employed outnumbers the number of Employed Loyalists. The Loyalists win if all the Mistrunners are Fired or dead. Only the players still Employed by Heron IndustriesTM win if the Loyalists win.

Roles

• Archivist - You know so much about the law that you can twist it around your fingers. During a Night Turn, you may target a Fired player. At the end of the following Day Turn, they will be reinstated providing you are still Employed at the end of the Day as well.
  • Coinshot - You may target a Fired player each Night Turn and kill them. You bastard.
  • Sparker - You may invade Heron IndustriesTM's computer systems and change or delete data. During the Night Turn, you may target a player and prevent any Actions from being able to Fire them that Night.
  • Rioter - You may cause a scandal after work, prompting Heron IndustriesTM to take immediate reaction and Fire a target player at the end of the next Day.
  • Kandra - The wonders of Heron IndustriesTM  SynthskinTM mean that you don't have to wait for someone to be dead to pretend to be them to discover their connections. Each Night Action you may discover the Alignment of target Employed or Fired player.
  • Seeker - You're paranoid enough to stalk people each Night instead of getting a decent night's sleep. You may target an Employed or Fired player each Night Action, and you will learn what Role they have, if any.
  • Connector - You're able to manipulate peoples' feelings to suit your own whims. Each Day Turn, you may change target player's vote at the expense of your own (they must have voted), or you may nullify a vote against you (no target).
  • Soother - You may force someone to be docile enough to cover your shift, ensuring that they cannot take any action this entire Cycle. Note that they will be informed of this during the Day Turn.
  • Spinner - You're incredibly lucky. Maybe a few files that went missing turn up, or your boss' report on your bad behaviour vanished overnight. Whatever the reason, the first time you would be Fired, you will be automatically reinstated at the end of the very next Day.
  • Steelrunner - You're fast. So fast that you are forced to be a go-between for people, delivering messages all day. It pays the bills, at least. As long as there is one Steelrunner still Employed, players can send messages during the Day Turn only. Steelrunners can also leave a message on their superior's desk each Night Turn.

I would not be against an idea or two more for Roles, I must admit, if they can be fit into this world. I would mostly like a Lurcher-style Role to protect against night-Firings, I think.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Wyrm: Consider maybe a Rioter/Soother in HR (Or maybe a low level manager...?) Their job is to make sure new(?) hires integrate smoothly into Heron Industries culture, and as such they're capable of protecting/preventing one employee from being fired? :S

Wyrm: Consider maybe a Rioter/Soother in HR (Or maybe a low level manager...?) Their job is to make sure new(?) hires integrate smoothly into Heron Industries culture, and as such they're capable of protecting/preventing one employee from being fired? :S

Hmm... You've given me a thought with Rioters... Quick bit of reworking:

• Rioter - With your powers, you are able to cause quite the number of scandals after work. As a Night Action, you may target a player, and they will be Fired the next Day. (swapped with Sparkers)
  • Sparker - You can hack into the company files and delete any data about a player. As a Night Action, you may target a player to prevent them being Fired the next Day by Actions taken that Night.
  • Coinshot - You can kill Fired players only. (nerfed from Fired and Employed to make balancing easier)
  • Archivist - You may target a Fired player each Night and they will be Employed again at the end of the next Day, if you are not Fired as well. (buffed due to Coinshot nerfing)
  • Spinner - Modified Spinner slightly to fit better with the themes going on.
Edited by Wyrmhero

Well finally, months and months later, here are the (rough draft) rules for my Legion Quick Fix Game. Please look them over and tell me what you think. (also, Meta or one of the other mods, please change the link in the second post of the General Rules thread to this post, rather than this one.

Legion Quick Fix Rules

A Time of Nightmares

This game will follow the normal rules for a Quick Fix game, as found in this post, with the following addendums:

Setting:

The game will take place in Stephen Leeds’ mansion, with Stephen, his butler Wilson, and all of his aspects present. The players will each be taking the role of one of Stephen’s aspects.

Character Creation:

When you create you character, please pick your name, description, and etc, but do NOT pick your area of specialty. This will be assigned to you by the GM before the game begins (see “Special Roles” below), and may or may not come with special abilities that can be used during the game.

You may pick your own mental illness, strictly for roleplaying purposes. However, a word of caution: please please please be respectful in how you roleplay any mental illness. Keep in mind that for the most part these will be real afflictions that many people in the world do suffer from, and while it might be “funny” to portray a character with Schizophrenia or Claustrophobia or the like, just remember that there are people out there, and very possibly on these forums, who do suffer from the illness you are portraying. Please do so respectfully. If you don’t feel like your roleplaying skills are up to that task, consider NOT picking an illness for you character and make it a non-issue. Thank you everyone in advance.

Posts, Personal Messages, and Docs:

All of these will be handled very differently than in previous games. Namely:

-Players are only allowed to make 1 post in the main thread per cycle, and the information they can post is very limited (see “The White Room)

-Open PMs between characters will NOT be allowed under normal circumstances. There will be special pre-arranged group PMs, as described below (see “All Other Rooms”).

-There will not be an evil-doc in this game, nor any other special ways for the Nightmare Aspects to communicate. They will be under all the same communication restrictions as other players.

-There will be a dead doc as per normal.

How then are we to play the game you ask? Let me explain.

The game is set in Stephen Leeds’ mansion, and will be spread across several “rooms,” as follows:

The White Room (Main thread):

The Main Thread that players typically post in will be replaced by the White Room- the one room where Stephen is able to visualize all of his Aspects together with any amount of stability. Because of the strain it puts on his subconscious mind, his Aspects are limited in how much information they can pass on.

Each cycle, players can post one and only one post in the White Room, and that post must be follow the following format:

“I am voting for <player name>.

At the end of the day I wish to move to <room name>.”

The exact wording isn’t important, but any extra information, including explanations, smilies, ‘sorry’s, hidden white text, and etc. is not allowed in the White Room. If you decide to change your vote during the day, please do so by editing your original post and changing your old vote to green and/or striking it through, then posting your new vote. The same goes for room choices.

All Other Rooms (PMs):

There will be a number of other rooms in the mansion that Aspects can gather in to discuss, chat, strategize, plan, plot, conspire, and etc. The number of rooms will depend on the number of players that sign up, but there will be roughly 1 room for every 3-4 players. Each room will be handled via a group PM, that will be changed each cycle according to who is in the room.

At the beginning of the game each player will randomly be put in one room. At the end of each cycle, players can move to another room. They do this by announcing in the White Room which room they would like to move to at the end of that cycle. Each room can hold a maximum of 5 Aspects. If more than 5 Aspects try to move into a room, 5 of them will be randomly selected to enter the room and the rest will be assigned to the room(s) with the fewest number of Aspects in them.

EDIT: Any players who do not submit a room choice during a cycle will be randomly distributed among the room(s) with the fewest Aspects for the next cycle. /EDIT

One more special rule for the different rooms: Special Abilities from your roles, can only be used to target an Aspect in the room you are currently in, unless stated otherwise. This also applies to Nightmare Aspect kill targets.

Special Roles:

The following are special roles that I am considering using for the game:

Nightmare Aspects (the bad guys)

These are the bad guys. Their goal is to "lynch" Stephen Leeds, and they win when they can succeed in getting more votes on Leeds than anyone else. In addition, they can perform secret killings. Each cycle, a different member of the group PMs the GM and targets one player in the same room, and the results of the attack will be posted in the write up, as per usual. The Nightmare Aspect with the kill will be selected randomly until all of them have had one kill, then they will be randomly selected again until each has gone twice, and etc.

Again, note that the Nightmare Aspects will not have access to a secret doc or any other special way of communicating with each other.

The Psychologist

This is your traditional "Seeker" role. Once per cycle the Psychologist may PM the GM and target one other player in the same room. At the end of the cycle the Psychologist will be told via PM the target's role and alignment

The Bodyguard

This is your traditional "Lurcher" role. Once per cycle the Bodyguard can PM the GM and target one other player in the same room. The target player will be protected from the Nightmare Aspects' attack. The target will still be vulnerable to lynchings and deaths from other sources, such as the Demolitionist.

The Bodyguard may target herself, but may not target the same person two nights in a row.

The Demolitionist

The Demolistionist can rig up boobytraps on a dead man's switch, set to go off if he dies. Once per cycle the Demolitionist can PM the GM and target one other player in the same room. If the Demolitionist dies this cycle then the boobytrap goes off, and her target is also killed.

The Cryptologist

The Cryptologist is very similar to the traditional "Tineye" role. Once per cycle, the Cryptologist can PM the GM with one and only one anonymous message, and instructions to send the message to the group as a whole, OR to one other player still alive. The other player does NOT need to be in the same room as the Cryptologist. At the end of the cycle, the GM will either post the message in the White Room as part of the write up or will send it to the target player in a PM, as appropriate.

The Espionage Agent

The Espionage Agent can set up surveillance in another room. Once per cycle, the Espionage Agent can PM the GM and target one room other than the one she is in. At the end of the cycle, the GM will PM a transcript of everything that was said in that room to the Espionage Agent.

The Matchmaker

Once and only once per game, the Matchmaker may PM the GM and target two players in the same room that the Matchmaker is in (The Matchmaker may target herself as one of the two targets). At the end of the cycle the targets form a bond of love (platonic or romantic) that transcends death (See the lovers, below).

The Lovers:

Once the Matchmaker has made her match, the (platonic or romantic) lovers are told who each other are, but their roles and factions are not revealed to each other. They may not vote for or act to kill each other for the rest of game. If one of the lovers is killed during the course of the game, the other lover is so stricken by grief that life isn't worth living anymore, and in the ultimate act of Shakespearean (platonic or romantic) love, takes his or her own life, too (In other words, if one lover is killed then they both die). The lovers' win condition is changed to simply surviving to the end of the game. If the lovers end up being on opposing factions, then they will eventually have to turn on their teammates to protect their love and survive to the end of the game.

Edited by Herowannabe

Alright. Having now played nearly through to the end of my first Elimination game, I think that now is an appropriate time to post the beginnings of a game I would like to GM.

This one would be best played as a Mid-Range game, in my opinion, although it could work as an LG as well. The setting is Final Empire-Era Scadrial, in the small farming community of Suttonsford.

The players will be members of the personal guard of the nobleman Senn Conrad, who oversees the community. House Venture has recently demanded that he marry his only daughter to one of their client houses. He would rather use her to form an alliance elsewhere, but Venture is being insistent.

To try to protect himself and his daughter, he has increased his personal guard, drawing on his House's strong complement of Allomancers. Unfortunately, some Venture agents have been snuck into his retinue. Their objective is to eliminate his guard so that they can kidnap Conrad's daughter to force his hand on the marriage matter.

To increase the pressure, Lord Venture has also hired bandits to ransack the trade routes in and out of Suttonsford, leading to an increasingly desperate shortage of metals...

Roles: All roles except the Hemalurgist are potentially available to either faction. The Hemalurgist is restricted to the Venture agents.

Metallurgist - Provides metals to Allomancers. During the day cycle, an Allomancer may PM the (or one of the) Metallurgists and place an order for metals. During the night cycle, they will receive the metal they ordered. Up to two vials of metals may be ordered per cycle, but each vial must be different. (The soldiers are under orders not to reveal their powers, if any, and so they buy multiple vials to conceal their powers). Because of the unreliable trade routes, the Metallurgist is not guaranteed to have all metals available. On the first cycle, all metals can be bought. For each cycle thereafter, the metals available for purchase will be randomly determined and posted in the thread with the write-up. Each Allomancer begins the game with one vial of the metal they can use. A Mistborn starts game with a vial of each metal. The Metallurgist(s) begin play with their role publicly known. If all Metallurgists are killed, then Allomancers can only burn any vials they have on their person.

Mistborn - May use any of the Allomantic powers, but may only use one per cycle. (Subject to what vials they have, of course)

Seeker - During the night cycle, may target one player. They learn that players Allomantic power (if any), but not their alignment.

Tineye - During the night cycle, may target one player. They learn what actions (if any) that player took. Also, while all Tineyes remain alive, players may use PMs. (Orders to the Metallurgist are separate)

Soother - During the day cycle, may target one player. That player's vote is canceled.

Rioter - During the day cycle, may target one player and switch their vote to another player.

Smoker - During the night cycle, may target one player. They and that player are immune to Seeking, Rioting, and Soothing until the next Night Cycle.

Thug - Survives the first kill (of any kind) that is directed at them. This includes the lynch.

Coinshot - During the night cycle, may target one player to be killed.

Lurcher - During the night cycle, may target one player. That player is protected against kill attempts for the rest of the cycle. This does not protect against lynches.

Hazekiller - Not an allomancer (and so the Seeker returns nothing when they target them). The Hazekiller has years of experience fighting allomancers, though. They may target one player (including themselves) to protect during the night cycle. That player is immune to kill attempts. After successfully protecting a player once, the Hazekiller is injured and cannot protect anyone else.

Lieutenant - Has two randomly chosen players under their command. Knows their alignment, and may cancel the vote of any of the players under their command.

Hemalurgist - Only available to the Venture agents. The Hemalurgist has 2 Allomantic powers, and may use one per cycle. Starts with one vial of each metal they can burn. If targeted by the Seeker, the Seeker finds out what metal they burned last.

What do all y'all think?