The Art of Game Creation

Metacognition

Right, so I've been working with the Roshar roles I put up earlier in the thread, trying to get something useable from them. I think I might have something close now, so here's a quick sort of skeleton outline for the game. Feel free to comment on stuff in-doc.

If I do end up running this game, I won't be able to until summer, but if someone could stick me on the Long Game GM list for now, that'd be great.

Edited by AonarFaileas

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone want to help me GM the Twinborn game?  

It's going to be a very fun game.  There are lots of powers.  There are fun items.  There is a map.  The problem with all of this is that if I GM it alone, there will be a huge turnover time between the action deadline and the writeup.  I am prepared to do it alone, even if it drives me stark raving mad, but I think it will be more fun for the players if they don't have to wait so long.  

Besides, it will be super fun to GM!  With all of these powers, the writeups will be very fun to write.  We can take turns doing the writeups and we can work together to balance the spreadsheet in Google Docs.  I already have the spreadsheet ready.  It has a map and everything.  

There are a couple issues to work out before the game starts.  The greatest of these are making the backstory better, and figuring out which factions need which powers.  It's ok though!  As of this moment, I am still #4 on the waitlist.  So we have plenty of time.  

Please send me a message if you are interested.  It's going to be fun!

Hey guys.  Sorry for double-posting, but I felt like this post was separate enough from the previous to warrant it.  

I'd like to announce that AonarFaileas is co-GMing the Twinborn game with me!  It's going to be awesome.  Everyone please go find one of his posts and upvote it.

Also, today I thought of a quick fix game, so I would like to be added to the QF GM list.  Don't worry.  This one isn't insane like the Twinborn game.  Sadly, it does not have a map and everything.

Quick Fix: The Pits of Hathsin

You are a prisoner and a slave to the Lord Ruler.  Every day, you must struggle to find an atium bead to give to the Taskmaster, or you will be beaten to death.  Every prisoner wants to survive.  Most wish they could band together and kill the Taskmaster, but there are some who would snitch on them to gain the Taskmaster's favor.  

Maybe if... accidents happened to befall the snitches, the rest of you could band together and get out of this hell-hole.  

Prisoners: Your goal is to kill all of the snitches so you can escape.  In the mean time, the Taskmaster requires one atium bead from you every cycle, or you will be beaten to death.  

Snitches: You have thrown your lot in with the Taskmaster.  Kill all of the non-snitch prisoners!  You have a google doc to conspire in, and the Taskmaster only requires an atium bead from you every two cycles.  Each cycle within your google doc you can snitch on two prisoners.  If you have evidence that they have done something besides searching for atium, those prisoners will be beaten to death by the Taskmaster.  

Cycles:

• Each cycle is 24 hours.  The write-up following that cycle will contain any killings, mention how many people snapped, and include the result of the Prisoners' Tribunal and the Taskmaster Beatings.  
  • The Prisoners' Tribunal is held within the pits.  Every cycle, they vote to kill someone.  All votes take place within the thread.  
  • At the end of the cycle, the Taskmaster takes an atium bead from each prisoner.  Any prisoner who does not have an atium bead to give will be beaten to death.  Whoever has been snitched on will also be beaten to death.  

You have two action periods per cycle.  You can use those action periods searching, using an active power, or spying.

Note:  You can also give atium to another player before, between, or after your actions.  This does not use up any action periods.  

Searching:

• When you search for atium, you have a 2/3 chance of finding a bead.  You can spend both action periods searching for atium, if you so desire.  
  • When you search for a shardpuddle, a tiny fraction of Ruin's power in pure liquid form, you have a 1/6 chance of finding one.  If you find a shardpuddle, you can use it to kill up to three people.  You must specify which people you would kill when you send in your actions.  

Spying:

• All snitches have the ability to spy.
  • If you spy on someone, you will be told that they were either searching for atium, searching for a shardpuddle, or using an active metal.  You will not be told which metal they were using, but you will be told if they were using it to attack someone.  
  • You can snitch on someone for searching for a shardpuddle or using a metal.  You decide as a group who to snitch on.  You can only snitch on two people per cycle.  
  • If someone you were spying on was also being clouded by a Smoker, you will be told that your action failed.  

Snapping: You cannot use your allomantic abilities until you have snapped.  There are two ways to snap.  

1. Near Death Experience.  If you were second place in the lynch vote, you will snap.  If multiple players tied for second place in the lynch vote, all of them will snap.  However, this only works if somebody actually was lynched.
  2. Ultimate Misery.  At the beginning of the game, PM me which other prisoner your character loves.  If they die, you snap. This doesn't necessarily have to be romantic love.  They could be a friend or a family member.  You decide.  You don't have to tell anyone which character you love, though it might be fun for RP.  

POWERS!

Lurcher: Target someone with iron and you will destroy all the atium they possess.  Active power.

Coinshot: Target someone with steel and you will destroy all the atium they possess.  Active power.

Thug: Survive one attack.  Passive.  

Attack someone once.  Active.

Tineye: If anyone spies on you, you will find out.  Passive.

Check someone's alignment.  Active.  

Smoker: Target someone with copper to hide them from detection for that action period.  You and your target will both be protected from spies and Seekers for that action period.  You will also both be immune to Rioters for that cycle.  Active.  

Seeker: Find out someone's allomantic power.  If they haven't snapped yet, find out what power will have.  Active.  

Soother:  Sooth the Taskmaster's anger against one person per cycle.  That person will not be beaten to death. This power does not use up an action period.  

Rioter:  Riot someone to change their vote.  This power does not use up an action period.  

Seer: Use up an atium bead to attack someone.  Active.

Use up an atium bead to survive an attack.  Passive.

Notes:

All players start the game with 1 atium bead.  That way, you won't be killed in the first cycle because of rotten luck.  

Order of cycle:

Atium donation

Cycle 1 actions

Atium donation

Cycle 2 actions

Atium donation

Emotional allomancy

Prisoners' Tribunal

Taskmaster Beatings

You steal the atium of any character you kill.  

If the Taskmaster kills a character, all of their atium goes to him.  

When a character is killed by the Prisoners' Tribunal, the atium is distributed among those who voted to kill that person, starting with those who voted first.  

For example, if Newan has three beads of atium and four people vote to kill him, the first three people to vote to kill him each get a bead.  

For another example, if Newan has five beads of atium and three people vote to kill him, the first two people to vote for him will get two beads, and the third person gets one bead.  Yes, I know this encourages bandwagoning.  But when the eliminators need evidence to kill, we can afford to give them a little bit of hiding space.  

Using atium to bribe people is allowed. 

There is no enforcement for these bribes.  If you say you will give someone atium and then keep it all to yourself, there is no punishment.

Edit: formatting.

Edited by New One

Hi. I've started to create some roles, would anyone come and help look them over?

ROLES:

Assembly (good):

You’re a member of the Assembly. You have some more influence than a normal Skaa, and you have two votes.

Skaa (good):

You are just a normal skaa with one vote.

Snapped Misting (good or bad):

You have one of the Mistborn’s abilities. There will be two (may be subjected to change depending on the number of players) Mistings on the Evil Team 

Unsnapped Mistings (good)

You are a Misting, but you have to be selected to die before you can use your abilities. You won’t die the first time you are selected, and that Snaps you. Sadly, the next time you WILL die. You are not told you are Unsnapped until you Snap.

Mistborn Assassin (bad) One Mistborn assassin. 

You are a Mistborn Assassin. You don't get to chose what action you do, but you can chose your target. (Cett, Koloss, Venture)

Burn Steel or Iron: Assassinate one player and protect yourself from someone burning steel or iron, unless they themselves are burning either steel, iron, or pewter.

Burn Tin: Intercept any PM sent this turn OR find out what team someone is on. The second is really only useful if you’re a Tineye, not a Mistborn Assassin. (NOTE: You can chose which option if you're the Mistborn)

Burn Pewter: Protect yourself.

Burn Copper: Protect yourself from someone burning bronze.

Burn Bronze: Find out one person’s action, unless they are burning Copper

Burn Brass: Your target’s vote and action do not count.

Burn Zinc: Change your target’s vote and action.

Burn Atium: Next turn you will be told what your target did. (Hypothetically, you would be told what your target will do next turn on this turn, but we don’t actually have any atium here.)

Edited by pir2h

Hi. I've started to create some roles, would anyone come and help look them over?

So it looks like there are three Mistborn Assassins? (Koloss, Cett and Venture). That's extremely overpowered for Evil team, it's a possible three kills every night. As for the End game, the Assassins attacking each other won't really work. The rest of the Villagers have already Lost, so they're useless. The game is now a three person game.

So the roles all work, but the game itself doesn't. Personally I would recommend having only one Mistborn assassin, and two or three Misting Assassins. They get a group kill, and the Mistborn doesn't get to choose his metal. 

Still, Upvote for the work you did.

Do any of you live near Provo?  I'm thinking of attempting to create a Sanderfan Club to meet at BYU, and perhaps playing Sanderson Elimination LIVE.  

Do you guys think that would work well?  It would be a lot more like real mafia, because you could try to figure out who was lying by looking at their faces.  Unfortunately, there would be no PMs, because everybody would be sitting there in front of each other.  

Sounds like fun  :D. And then we can all play the Mistborn RPG, tryout my GURPS adaptation of the Cosmere, form a stalking party to follow Sanderson to and from his writing lecture, and all be totally frightened by my obsessive behavior!

Wait, what am I saying? This is the 17th Shard for Colors sake, obsessive is in the job description.

Just to let all of you know, I'm planning to run a few more games in the future, and have a document with a link to the rules of some of them (including the game I'm about to describe below).  It can also be accessed via the link at the bottom of my signature-thing.

Anyway, the game I'm planning to run next is a MR game.  I've tried changing things up from the standard Elimination Game rules, so the game will likely need some major reworking.  Anyway, see what you think:

Bridge 11

Life used to be so simple.  But then, you were sentenced to bridge duty.  Since then, you and your bridge crew have toiled and labored, lifting bridges for the whims of lighteyes such as Highprince Sadeas.  Some of your comrades have snapped under the pressure; others have simply succumbed to their fate.  Many of you wish to seek revenge on the cruel lighteyes who treat you worse than parshmen.

The War of Reckoning is reaching a crucial stage, and the lighteyes wish to make an example of your bridge crew.  The lighteyes have heard rumors that your crew is planning to rebel, and Sadeas wants them to put an end to it.  The lighteyes have infiltrated your bridge crew, and plan to tear it apart at the seams in any way they can.  It is only through collaboration that you will be able to survive the onslaught.

Overview

This is an MR game, with 48 hour day cycles.  Each cycle, there are TWO votes.  The first is a regular vote that takes place in-thread.  The second is a secret vote that takes place via PM (to the GM).  These two votes are independent from one another, and the two players with the most votes (public and secret) are placed at the front of the bridge crew during the day’s bridge run, where they will almost certainly die.  Tied lynch votes (public and secret) will result in no lynch.  Players may vote both in-thread and secretly, use role actions, auction for an item, and use an item during the same cycle.  Players that do not post for two consecutive turns will be executed.

The goal for the Bridgemen is to eliminate all of the Lighteyes, so they can stop them from murdering the crew.  The goal for the Lighteyes is to outnumber the Bridgemen.

In each cycle’s write-up, all players that have died will have their alignment and role revealed (but not the items in their possession).  The method of their death will also be revealed.  If a player is saved by Knobweed Sap or Parshendi Armor (see “Items”), they will be revealed as having been attacked, but the player that saved them will not be revealed.  The public vote tally will be written in the write-up, but the secret vote tally is kept secret.  The items available for auction that cycle will also be listed in the write-up.

Highstorms

Occasionally, a highstorm will ravage the Shattered Plains for roughly half of a cycle, preventing all players from submitting action PMs to the GM until it has passed through.  During this time, in-thread discussion is still allowed, and players may PM each other freely (the GM must be included in all PMs).  However, PMs may not be used once the highstorm has ended.  Likewise, the Lighteyes have a google doc set up, which can only be edited during the highstorms.  The first 24 hours of the game occur during a highstorm.

Roles

There may be several players with the same role in this game, and not all roles will necessarily be used.  All special roles can be of either alignment.

Bridgeman: You are a regular old bridgeman, sent to Bridge 11 to lift bridges until you die.  Your only hope of survival is to figure out who amongst you is a Lighteyes in disguise, and eliminate them using your votes and any items you can obtain.

Lighteyes: You are one of the lighteyed conspirators.  Your eyedrops are capable of disguising your physical appearance as a darkeyes, but being a darkeyes is beyond eye color.  Your goal is to avoid the bridgemen’s suspicion long enough to single them out and get them killed during the bridge runs.  Unlike previous games, the Lighteyes do not get a group kill each cycle.  They get a google doc, but it can only be edited in during the highstorms (at other times, it can only be viewed).

Horneater-Blooded: You have the blood of the Unkalaki in your veins, making you stronger and more durable than the other bridgemen.  You survive the first attack that would normally kill you.  If this occurs, the attack on you will be noted in the write-up, but your role will not be revealed.

Sentry: You keep watch in your bridge crew, but one player has specifically caught your attention.  Once per game, at any time, you may choose another player to watch for the rest of the game.  Each cycle, you learn who that player’s secret vote targeted, and what (if anything) they auctioned for, along with their bidding price.  You may not change who you are watching until the player you have been watching has died.

Con Artist: You have the deftest hand in this bridge crew, but nobody knows it.  Each day, you may disguise any player’s (it can be your own) secret vote from Sentries, to make it appear as though you voted for someone else (you may choose who to disguise it as.  Along with this, you may choose what the targeted player appeared to bid for, and how much they bid.

Herdazian: You are such an affectionate person that nobody can resist doing what you say!  Each cycle, you may choose another player and change their secret vote to a player of your choice (or change it to a “no” vote).  However, the Sentry will see that player’s original vote.

Grave Robber: While many disapprove of your… abilities, you like to think that you are just making the most out of what you have.  Each cycle, you may choose one dead player, and steal 1 item from them.  If they do not have any items left, you will be notified.  If two Grave Robbers target a player with 1 item, one of the two will randomly receive the item.  If the dead player has two or more items, both Grave Robbers will each receive different items.

Stormwarden: A former scholar of storm studies, you can still detect when a highstorm is brewing.  You will be informed (via PM) when a highstorm is going to occur, approximately one cycle in advance.  You will also be told roughly when in the cycle it will occur, and for how long.

Items

Each Day, there will be multiple items available for purchase, which will be mentioned in the write-up at the beginning of the cycle.  Each player may bid for one item each cycle, using secret votes.  The player with the highest bid (randomly selected, if there’s a tie) receives the item, and has the number of votes they bidded for the item added to the secret vote total against them for the cycle.  You cannot bid more votes than the number of players remaining.

For instance, say that Moash bid 4 votes for some Knobweed Sap, and received it.  He would then have an additional 4 secret votes added against him.  So, if he would’ve normally had 2 secret votes against him, he would now have 6 against him.  If that is more votes than anyone else, he would be lynched that cycle.

No players begin the game with any items.  Items can be secretly given to other players via a PM to the GM.  The target player will receive the item at the end of the cycle, and will not be able to use it until the following cycle.  Giving away items does not count as an action (it cannot be blocked), and you may choose to give away multiple items during your turn.

Players with items in their possession when they die will be buried with their items, preventing all roles, other than the Grave Robber, from stealing them after death.  All items are one-use only.

Blackbane: A plant with black leaves, which is poisonous when dried.  The poison will instantly kill the target.  It does not, however, bypass the Horneater-Blooded’s second life.  (Horneaters have very strong immune systems.)

Knobweed Sap: A milky sap used as an antiseptic, allowing you to prolong another player’s life (from any cause, excluding inactivity) for one cycle.  If the targeted player was not attacked, the sap is wasted.  Knobweed Sap may be used to prolong a player’s life for consecutive cycles.  A player that is using Knobweed Sap to prolong their life will be vulnerable to attacks.

Spear: A dilapidated spear that will not kill its target, but gives them minor cuts and scrapes, effectively role-blocking them for the cycle.  It will not block the target’s public and private votes, but it will prevent them from taking part in any auctions and role abilities that cycle.  If the targeted player used an item, it will be wasted and will not be returned to them.  The spear can block the Stormwarden’s ability, but it cannot cancel the Horneater’s second life.

Parshendi Armor: A set of Parshendi exoskeletal armor.  When a player uses the armor, they will be ruthlessly attacked by the Parshendi, preventing all other players from being killed during the Day’s bridge run (i.e. both lynches fail).  However, the wearer will become mortally wounded, and will die the following Cycle unless saved (by Knobweed Sap).

Truthberry Jam: A jam made from the truthberry, a fruit commonly associated with magical properties.  The jam may be used on another player (including a dead player), allowing you discern what role and item actions that player took on one particular cycle (past or current).

Order of Actions

1. Give Items
  2. Spear
  3. Con Artist, Sentry
  4. Votes Counted (Public and Private), Herdazian
  5. Knobweed Sap, Parshendi Armor
  6. Bridge Run 1 (Public Lynch)
  7. Item Auction
  8. Blackbane
  9. Bridge Run 2 (Private Lynch)
  10. Delayed Deaths (Knobweed Sap, Parshendi Armor)*
  11. Truthberry Jam, Grave Rob

*These delayed deaths occur a cycle after the player was targeted.

Edit: Changed a lot of stuff

Edited by Ookla the Incendiary

I'm putting the other game I created on hold. This is the one I intend to GM for. First, I mean. I'll do the other one eventually. 

A Game of Spies

You thought you were safe away from the Shattered Plains, didn’t you? You believed as long as you had escaped going to the Shattered Plains, you would be fine. Until you heard news of the Everstorm. A storm that transformed all of your docile parshmen into Voidbringers.

The Everstorm is coming. Luckily, the Knights Radiant are returning. Will it be enough?

Mid-Range. Day and Night are separated in 24 hour cycles. 

ROLES:

Lightweaver

Can Soulcast without the Item Soulcaster, see items, or chose a role to appear as if anyone looks for your role. You can do the same for another person, if you want to. Each option requires one Infused Sphere. See items. Can only use one role at a time.

Edgedancer
You have access to the Surge of Regrowth. For every Infused Sphere you have on you, you can escape one kill attempt. However, upon escaping, your role is revealed.

Windrunner

You can go outside in a Highstorm, see events. Infuses any Dun Spheres, see items, you have. Kill attempt, requires one Infused Sphere. Kill attempts on another Windrunner will not go through and you will both be told the other's role. You can steal one Sphere being Infused in a highstorm. You chose who to take it from, but if they are Parshendi or have no Spheres, it does not work. You will not be told if they are Parshendi or simply have no Spheres. 

Ardent

You have a 50% chance of having a Soulcaster, see items. If you have a Soulcaster, your role is revealed, but you can Soulcast.

Surgeon

You can save one person, as long as that person has an Infused Sphere. This makes the villagers trust you, and you have two votes.

Dullform

You are a Parshendi spy, volunteering to take on dullform. You are assigned a “master” who you find out which role they are, unless they are a Lightweaver. You have a choice to stay with the same master, transform into warform, or gain a new master. If you stay the same master, you find out what action they take, unless you are blocked by a Lightweaver. When an Everstorm comes, you may havechoice to transform into Stormform. (see Events) Due to decreased intellect, Dullform Parshendi can only read the google doc, cannot edit.

Warform

You are a warrior. You conspire with your fellow warforms to chose someone to kill. You have a choice to transform into Dullform. May have a choice to transform into Stormform during the Everstorm, see Events. Have a group kill and a google doc.

Stormform

Upon the Everstorm, you have transformed into Stormform. Stormform Parshendi have one kill attempt per cycle, but if they attack a Knight Radiant by accident, they die.

EVENTS:

Everstorm: For each Everstorm, one Parshendi has the choice to transform into Stormform. Lasts twelve hours. If the chosen Parshendi misses the timeframe, they don't transform. 

Highstorm: Infuses any Dun Spheres a player might have, but a Windrunner will be able to chose to take a sphere from any player, except a Parshendi or someone with no spheres. Lasts twelve hours. If a Windrunner misses the timeframe, they don't get an extra sphere. 

ITEMS:

Soulcaster - You can transform a random object into another. People respect you and if you use it, you get two votes. You can save one life by Soulcasting them more blood. Unfortunately, after two uses, the gemstones crack and you can no longer use it. 

Infused Sphere - Every person gains one at the end of the day. You can trade Infused Spheres for healing if the Surgeon targets you. If you are a Knight Radiant, you can use Infused Spheres to power your Surgebinding. However, upon either of these actions, the Spheres become Dun. Upper limit to Infused Spheres is 10. 

Dun Sphere - Sphere that cannot be used for anything until the next highstorm. You start with one Dun Sphere. No upper limit to how many dun spheres there are. 

EDITED: Added The Only Joe's suggestions. Thanks.

Edited by pir2h

A Game of Spies

There's to many chances and percentages. Most of these games hold appeal because of the Certainty of all actions. Unless they get roleblocked, they go through. Most of the Percentages do make sense, except for the Kill ones. That makes it much Harder for te Parshendi.

How many Dun Spheres do people start with? Is there a Maximum amount of Spheres people can Have? Where do the Infused spheres go if you Survive?

Still, you have good Ideas, I hope you don't stop making Games.

Finally finished the Hemalurgy. Here are the basic rules:

Long Game: The Ruler of Ash and Mists

The Lord Ruler didn't disapprove of mixing Metallic Arts - he just didn't want challengers. He set up a small Canton of Inquistion in the Scadrian Ocean, on a small island isolated far from anyone else. He threw a few Allomancers, Feruchemists, and Hemalurgists onto the island, and their powers mixed and fractured in very interesting ways. Unfortunately, the Lord Ruler is dead, and Ruin is free. While the Hero of Ages and the Ascendant Warrior battle Ruin on the mainland, Ruin has taken control of one fifth of the Hemalurgists on the island. Their task: to take control of the island. These Agents of Ruin plot together, ready to kill everyone, but they are slightly outnumbered. These agents will have to bide their time, slowly killing the Islanders.

The Rules: There are four action periods, each taking 24 hours: Day I, Day II, Night I, and Night II. You may vote during Day I. Day II is for one action. Night I and II are both for actions; however, the player must sleep one night period.

The Roles: There is one of each ferring, misting, and spiked. There is also one Mistborn, a Feruchemist, and an Inquisitor.

Allomancy - One Action. You may only burn once a cycle (Mistborn excluded).

Orange = Passive; Blue = Night Only; Violet = Day Only; Red = Ruin Side Only; Green = Island Side Only    

Tin - Create a PM with one person per burn OR Add a message to the writeup which will be designated "Tineye Message"

Pewter - 2 Lives - Passive Burn. One time kill - must be actively burned. If Kill remains unused until the Pewterarm's death, the kill will be activated on the murderer. If lynched, whoever is the final vote to kill the Pewterarm is killed.  

Iron - Protect someone from attack or lynch. Cannot lurch self more than once, nor can you lurch someone twice in a row.  

Steel - Attack one person. Revealed in writeup as "An attack on Player _____ happened."        

Copper - Conceal one person from Allomantic zinc, Allomantic brass, Allomantic bronze, Feruchemical zinc, Feruchemical electrum.  

Bronze - Find one person's Allomantic ability and alignment (if either the Allomantic ability or an alignment ability is used).  

Zinc - Change one vote at the negation of your own.  

Brass - Make one vote null.        

Gold - See all actions performed on you in last cycle.  

Electrum - See everyone who performed an action on you in the past cycle.  

Cadmium - Role-block one person. Both of you miss all targets (except you Cadmium target, obviously). 20% chance of being protected.  

Bendalloy - Gain an extra night cycle. ex. Night 1 - Sleep. Night 2 - Burn Bendalloy. Night 3 - Use _____ Ability.        

Aluminum - Immune to Allomantic zinc, Allomantic brass, Feruchemical zinc, Feruchemical electrum.  

Duralumin - Can choose to reveal oneself as the Duralumin Gnat. (Does not apply for Mistborn).

Chromium - Can choose a target. If Allomantic ability was used, it does not take effect.  

Nicrosil - Can choose a target. They recieve an extra Allomantic bead. They can use it as an additional charge in a subsequent day, or can use it as a double charge.     

Atium - Recieve one bead every three cycles. While burning, you have to lives, and can kill one person.        

Mistborn - While you have no Feruchemical or Hemalurgic abilities, you can use all of the above metals. Mistborn can use every metal twice, but cannot use the ability more than this until every ability has been used twice. Mistborn also have the bonus ability of using duralumin to boost one of their own metals ( see Nicrosil ).      

Feruchemy - Storing does not use an action. You can choose to store during the entire cycle or not. Tapping is one action. You may only tap once a cycle (Keeper excluded).

Blue = Night Only; Violet = Day Only;

Storing

Tin - Cannot receive or send PMs

Pewter - Can not use one action per cycle

Iron - Cannot be protected from attack. 

Steel - Have a 5% chance of being attacked by someone else if there is an attack that night.

Bronze - Sleep both night periods.

Copper -  Forget a random action.

Zinc - Vote randomely switched.

Brass - 5% chance of contracting hypothermia, which makes you unable to use one action.

Gold -  5% chance of being sick (losing an action).

Electrum - Vote Doesn't Count

Cadmium - 5% Chance of blacking out. Lose action if you do.

Bendalloy - Lose Vote

Aluminum - Your vote is added to whoever has the highest voted already.

Duralumin - Store a vote.

Chromium - 5% Chance of Permanently Losing Action, Miss all targets (including vote) randomely.

Nicrosil - Do not perform an action.       

Atium - Takes 3 Nights to store.   

Tapping

Tin - Create one PM to one person, or add a message to the writeup.

Pewter - Plus one live per tapped charge, or one time kill ability. See Allomantic pewter for kill rules.

Iron - Protect one person from an attack.

Steel - Kill one person.

Bronze - You do not have to sleep either night period.

Copper - Remember one person's Feruchemical ability and alignment if either has ever been used.

Zinc - Sway one person's vote.

Brass - Attackers are instantly killed.

Gold - Heal one attack.

Electrum - Negate someone's Vote

Cadmium - Roleblock someone

Bendalloy - Gain an extra Allomantic bead.

Aluminum - Vote cannot be swayed or changed.

Duralumin - Tap a vote. All Votes must be applied toward one person.

Chromium - All targeting aimed at you misses randomly.

Nicrosil - Boost someone's feruchemical ability (see Allomantic Nicrosil)

Atium - While tapping, your change in age makes you younger. You may kill someone and you have a bonus life while tapping.

Keeper -  While you have no Allomantic or Hemalurgic abilities, you can use all of the above metals. Keepers can use every metal twice, but cannot use the ability more than this until every ability has been used twice. Keepers can also store more than one metal at a time, though they can only tap at the normal rate.

Hemalurgy - One action. May only use once a cycle.

Tin - Allows one to send one pm or one message input the writeup

Pewter - One random fPhysical ability every cycle

Iron - 2 lives, one time kill. see Allomantic pewter

Steel - One random aPhysical ability Each cycle

Copper - See someone's Hemalurgic ability and alignment if used.

Bronze - One random aMental ability Each cycle

Zinc - Immune to emotional Allomancy, vote sways, etc.

Brass - One random fMental ability Each cycle

Gold - One random fTemporal ability Each cycle

Electrum - Cannot be blocked or canceled

Cadmium - One random aTemporal ability Each cycle

Bendalloy - Survive one attack.

Aluminum - One random aEnhancement ability Each cycle

Duralumin - One random fSpiritual ability Each cycle

Chromium - Cancel someone's Hemalurgic ability for a turn.

Nicrosil - Boost someone's Hemalurgic ability.    

Atium - Channel the Power of Ruin. Takes three cycles on which kills happened to charge. One kill and one bonus life while using.    

Inquisitor - All of the above, can use only one per action period. Can only get one charge out of a spike until each one has been used. May choose his Allomantic and Feruchemical abilities, but may only use this spike once until every other spike has been used. In addition, he may not choose the same Allomantic and Feruchemical ability twice

Agents of Ruin - Have one group kill. There is one Agent of Ruin out of every 5 people that join. Also have the EvilDoc© to write in. Must kill everyone except the Kandra to win. If the Agents of Ruin win, well, let's just say mainland Inquisitors got help developing feruchemical spikes. :wacko:

The Kandra - has two random spikes. The Kandra may switch its spikes for any  of the dead's spikes the day they die, up to three times. The Kandra's goal is to be the last one standing. Both the islanders and the Agents of Ruin must kill the Kandra to win. Unfortunately for them, the Kandra is unkillable in lynchings. The Kandra can also post anonymously, via the GM, meaning the Kandra can vote anonymously. If only Agents of Ruin and The Kandra are left, Ruin takes control of the Kandra, and the Kandra loses.

The Koloss - One player is a koloss. For every five players killed in game, the koloss may gain either a night kill or an extra life. The Koloss wins if every other player is dead, excepting the Kandra. Any emotional Allomancy used on the Koloss lasts two cycles.

Villagers - Powers will be distributed so all players have an equal chance of having a power. You are vanilla. You win if only Villagers remain.

The Cookie Giver - has a secondary win condition: give every member of Team Evil a cookie before their death. Has a bonus action of giving a cookie to someone each cycle. They will be notified.

I am so glad this is done!

Prizes of a Fabulous Nature: There will be three prizes: one grants an Allomantic ability, one a Feruchemical, and one grants a spike. I am not posting them now because all you smart people will crack the code, but here is one of the same nature. 285903-4.3.4.4.4!

So, I have created my game. I have all the necessary components ready to begin it; however, my schedule does not allow me to GM it. Does anyone want to do so for me? If so, I would be grateful. I would still pop in to answer questions, busy schedules pretty tough, so I can't do it all.

Edited by Rubix
Combined into the appropriate topic.

A Game of Shards

A deadly game of Shards is beginning. Odium has clashed with Honor and Cultivation. Good luck, inhabitants of Roshar. Your world has become a battlefield and you will need it.

Honor

You are Honor’s Shardbearer. You must stop Odium at all costs. You can:

1. Use your spren to spy on another player, finding out their role and alignment.

2. Block Odium’s move.

3. Leave visions, send a PM to the GM with what you want them to contain. One cycle later, this message will be revealed to your target. This action cannot be blocked by Odium.

Cultivation

1. You can see the future better than Honor. If you use this ability, next turn you will be told what your target’s action.

2. Use your spren to spy on another player, finding out their role and alignment

Shardbearer

You earned a Shardblade or Shardplate. Which you have will be specified in the PM. A Shardblade allows you one kill attempt per night. Shardplate allows you protection from ONE kill attempt.

Edgedancer

Use the Surge of Regrowth to save ONE person.

Villager

You are a normal villager.

Odium

You are Odium’s Shardbearer. You can:

1. Block Honor’s move

2. Block Cultivation’s move

3. Have your voidspren spy on a player and learn their role and alignment

Voidbringer

The Voidbringers get a group kill and a Google Doc that they can conspire with Odium on.

Another game. I’m not necessarily going to GM this one. I might, but I will probably create one I like more. It's Quickfix.

I'm specifically trying to think of ways to make a Gambling system that works. I know King has a very elegant solution to the problem, but here's one I'm considering and would like some feedback on, if possible.

The suggestion was to turn it into more of a lottery system:

For each cycle, the GM uses a d16 [could be easily downgraded to a d12 or d6, depending on the player numbers and how much coin you want circulating in the system] to roll for a number. During the cycle, players can choose to gamble up to 3 coins. For each coin gambled, they get one guess. The players who guess the number correctly win. The payout for each winner will be 2x coins, where x is the initial number of coins gambled, plus one additional coin per two players gambling. The other gambling players lose their coins.

The alternative to that which I can think of: leave it at guessing one number from a d6/d12/d16 or something but allow players to only make one guess. But the payout will be 2x, with x being however many coins the player bets.

Thoughts on the matter?

So, I've updated the rules for my Mid-Range game based on the Alethi War of Unification, removing almost all the random and mathsy elements from it to make it simpler. Balancing this may be a little difficult though, so help would be appreciated with the roles, mostly.

General Rules

Each player is a member of The Blackthorn's army, and has their own position in the camp. Each cycle, four things things happen.

• The players are notified of this cycle's Event at the start of the day.
  • The Blackthorn calls together his most trusted people and asks who they believe is a Spy. That player is placed at the vanguard of the army in next battle to prove their valour, and will almost certainly die during it.
  • Combat occurs, unless there is a Highstorm. The player with the most votes, and one of the players chosen by an Eliminator will die, unlesss saved somehow. A Lighteyes cannot avoid a battle that they would be in the vanguard for. If there is no battle this cycle due to a Highstorm, they will instead be forced to take a walk in it, and cannot be saved.

Any player that fails to report for their shift (by not posting) for two cycles in a row will be executed. Cycles last for 48 hours. A player may use all possible actions in one cycle - Lighteyed Vote, Role Actions, Spy Actions and Shardblade Kills.

Events

At the end of each cycle, one of three things will happen: A Highstorm (20%), a Skirmish (60%), or a Battle (20%). You will be told which will happen at the start of the Cycle.

• During a Highstorm, no actions may be taken at all. Voting will still occur, however, and so the lynch will still take place. In fact, the player lynched at this time can’t be saved by anything and will definitely die.

• During a Skirmish, one of the players chosen by the Eliminator teams will die, chosen at random. After this, protective roles will be applied to see if they die.

• A Battle is similar to a Skirmish, except all the players chosen by the teams will die. A player loyal to Dalinar will publicly win a Shardblade. If they are not a Lighteyes, they will become one, with all the privileges that grants. If they die, the Shardblade goes to The Blackthorn. A Shardblade can be used to kill a player, even if protected by a Surgeon. A Spy cannot be killed during combat with their own faction's army.

Spies

There are a number of spies, all working in pairs, from different armies. They do not know the identity of spies from other armies. Spies may be of any eye colour and may have any role. The spies all win together, providing their faction survives. A doc symbolises their Spanreed. If one of the Eliminators dies, a random player will gain the other Spanreed. Messages may be sent using these spanreeds anonymously, via the GM.

During each Cycle, each Eliminator team chooses a player to sabotage in the coming battle. During the next combat they take part in, a random player chosen this way will die, whether that combat is this Cycle or the next.

Eye Colour

Each player will have one of the eye colours below, and that will define which Role they have. The eye colour of each player will be known at the beginning of the game. There will be many more Darkeyes than Lighteyes, and only one Heterochromeric, who will be hidden amongst the list of Darkeyes.

• Darkeyes have no special abilities (isn't it sad?).

• Lighteyes may secretly send a PM to the GM once per cycle containing the name of a player. The player with the most votes from this secret ballot will have an additional vote placed against them (The Blackthorn’s). They may also choose, once per game, to skip this Cycle's combat.

• Heterochromics are Darkeyes with a Lighteyes role. They are grouped under Darkeyes.

Roles

• Spearmen [Darkeyes] are simple soldiers in the army, each hoping to with a Shardblade and rise to the ranks of the Lighteyes.

• Watchmen [Darkeyes] keep an eye out each Cycle on a player, and will be informed of a random player whose action(s) affected that player that Cycle.

• Messengers [Darkeyes] are able to start a PM chain between themselves and one other player, but only to one new person per cycle. The PM is set up by the GM. When a new PM starts, the old one must not be continued (but it is not necessary for either player to delete it).

• Scouts [Darkeyes] can leave camp on every even-numbered Cycle to scout ahead, and are unable to be targeted by actions when doing so. They may not use any of their own actions when doing this, however. Their vote is not counted, but they can still be lynched. They cannot use this ability when there is a Highstorm.

• Guardsmen [Darkeyes] can choose another player to protect each combat. If that player would die in the battle, they will survive, but the Guardsman will die instead, and cannot be saved. This does not protect from Shardblades, but does from a lynch.

• Squad Leaders [Darkeyes] have more sway within the group than most. They can choose to silence a Darkeyed player’s vote each Cycle.

• Swordsmen [Lighteyes] are more extravagant, wealthy soldiers. They have no special role in the army, but at least they're not Darkeyed.

• Surgeons [Lighteyes] can choose another player each cycle, and that player will be saved if they die via a lynch or combat (but not by Shardblade).

• Officers [Lighteyes] are able to order Darkeyes around without question, and can stop one taking any meaningful actions over a Cycle.

• The King's Wit [Lighteyes] is a safe role, and wins a personal victory if they are either lynched (and die) or if they are killed by a Shardblader, as long as Dalinar’s forces also win in the end. The player that killed them or voted for them first will lose their role (but not their Shardblade or Spanreed, if they have one), and if they are a Lighteyes, they will be treated as a Darkeyes for the rest of the game.

Mostly, looking closely at the Darkeyed Roles, since they can be a little more complicated. Probably also need a few more Guardsmen than you'd normally expect due to the Dark/Lighteyed thing being publicly known. Not all roles will be present if there aren't enough players, but I'm not quite sure what I would take out or what the numbers would need to be.

Edited by Wyrmhero

If a Squad Leader gets a shardblade, does he become an Officer? Or does it have the same abilities, but can also send the PM to the GM for the Blackthorn vote? 

Can a shardblade be used every cycle, or just once?

It says if somebody with a shardblade dies, it goes to the Blackthorn.  What does he do with it?  Does it just disappear from play?  

Is there any way to discover a spy besides his death or a very lucky Watchman? 

For the most part, Wyrm, the game seems a lot cleaner and better balanced now. It was really interesting before, but it would have gotten very confusing, very fast.

Alright, so I had an idea that's been kicking around for a little bit. It was kind of a weird one, but what the heck.

So, I was reading Garth Nix’s Old Kingdom series, (in anticipation of getting Clariel, which came out a few weeks ago) and I thought, “Hey… The Old Kingdom would make a great setting for an Elimination game.” :P

For those of you who haven’t read the books, you can check out the TV Tropes or Wikipedia pages, although be warned, there are spoilers.

For those who have read the novels, basically the premise would revolve around a Necromancer or Free Magic Sorcerer that has infiltrated one of the border towns near the Rift. They’ve managed to bind a few powerful Free Magic Entities/Greater Dead, and conceal them among the Townspeople.

It's a little rough, but there are a few roles I can think of:

Berserker: Somewhere along the line, you must have had a Charter blood ancestor, because the fury is always just beneath the surface. You may attempt to make one kill every second cycle, and any attack made on you has a chance of failing or killing the attacker. If you are attacked by a Free Magic creature, or attack a Free Magic entity, you have a chance of briefly overcoming their will. If this occurs, you may ask them one question, and they must answer truthfully, or they will be bound (Binding-specific rules covered below).

Charter Mage: You’ve spent decades devoting yourself to learning the Charter. You can call upon the marks with unparalleled speed and power. You have three options:

• Spend one cycle to make a Charter-spelled sword. The next cycle, you may use this sword, or give it away. It will send Greater Dead back into Death, and bind Free Magic Entities. However, every time it is used, the marks fade. You can choose to spend a cycle renewing the marks, or allow the sword to break.
  • Spend one cycle making gethre plate. You may keep this, or choose to give it to another player. This will protect from one kill attempt. Passive.
  • Spend one cycle creating a Charter-skin. Once again, you may keep this, or give it to another. Using this skin, you may track one player learning of any actions taken that night, and avoid detection yourself. Must be renewed after a second use.
  • Any one of these items may be given to any player, but may only be used by someone without a connection to the Free Magic. (Any player who is not a Necromancer/Elemental/Undead)

Clayr: You have the Sight, and can see a number of possible futures. Its visions are often cryptic and confusing, but they’ve saved your life in the past, and may well do so again. Once every two cycles, you can choose a player, and you will be informed of any actions that are chosen to target them at any point. You will not know if these actions are retracted.

Free Magic Elemental: You are a shapechanger, a being made from magic itself, as old as the wind and the earth. Your actions cannot be tracked by a Charter Mage, and you may track one player each cycle. If you are attacked by an Abhorsen, Berserker, or Charter Mage, you will be bound. While bound, you may not take any actions, any votes you make will not count, and you don’t count towards the player count. However, you can still speak in the thread and PMs, and communicate with your doc-mates. For all intents and purposes you are dead, although you can still influence the living. You may be freed in exchange for a service. True information, a kill, a role-blocking, protection etc.

Greater Dead: You are a powerful undead, almost unkillable by mortal means. You have no active powers, but you can survive two attacks, including lynching. Once killed, you may still communicate with your doc-mates, but nothing else. If contacted by the Abhorsen after death, there is a chance that you might be returned to the game, in a weaker form.

Necromancer//Abhorsen: A mage claiming an ancient bloodline, you have a mastery of magic, particularly of spells dealing with the Dead and Free Magic; you are also in possession of a full set of Necromantic Bells. Similar to a regular Charter Mage, you have a few options.

• You can venture deep into Death to speak with one of the fallen. You may ask one yes or no question each cycle to one player that has died. They will be compelled to answer truthfully. This is detrimental, however, preventing you from placing votes, participating PMs etc. Exactly what is lost depends on how long the player in question has been dead, and the role of the particular player.
  • You can role-block one player, or remove their vote.
  • Once per game, you can make a single, unblockable kill attempt. You can choose to kill up to three people. You can only choose one of the targets, however. Using this ability will kill you.

Not exactly "Sanderson" Elimination, but what do you think? Does anyone like the idea? Have any suggestions? (And has anyone else even read these books? :P) I probably wouldn't run it unless there was actually a decent amount of interest in it, but I figure I may as well bring up the idea.

Edited by AonarFaileas

If a Squad Leader gets a shardblade, does he become an Officer? Or does it have the same abilities, but can also send the PM to the GM for the Blackthorn vote? 

Can a shardblade be used every cycle, or just once?

It says if somebody with a shardblade dies, it goes to the Blackthorn.  What does he do with it?  Does it just disappear from play?  

Is there any way to discover a spy besides his death or a very lucky Watchman? 

Players who gain Shardblades keep their Roles, they just become Lighteyes and can skip one combat a game, and can try to convince the Blackthorn to vote.

Shadblades can be used every Cycle.

If a Shardblade goes to the Blackthorn, it is removed from the game, so probably a good idea to protect someone who has it.

Spies can only be confirmed through his death, or potentially a Watchman if only one person uses an ability on them (Spy Sabotage) and they die in the combat.

For the most part, Wyrm, the game seems a lot cleaner and better balanced now. It was really interesting before, but it would have gotten very confusing, very fast.

Alright, so I had an idea that's been kicking around for a little bit. It was kind of a weird one, but what the heck.

So, I was reading Garth Nix’s Old Kingdom series, (in anticipation of getting Clariel, which came out a few weeks ago) and I thought, “Hey… The Old Kingdom would make a great setting for an Elimination game.” :P

For those of you who haven’t read the books, you can check out the TV Tropes or Wikipedia pages, although be warned, there are spoilers.

For those who have read the novels, basically the premise would revolve around a Necromancer or Free Magic Sorcerer that has infiltrated one of the border towns near the Rift. They’ve managed to bind a few powerful Free Magic Entities/Greater Dead, and conceal them among the Townspeople.

It's a little rough, but there are a few roles I can think of:

Berserker: Somewhere along the line, you must have had a Charter blood ancestor, because the fury is always just beneath the surface. You may attempt to make one kill every second cycle, and any attack made on you has a chance of failing or killing the attacker. If you are attacked by a Free Magic creature, or attack a Free Magic entity, you have a chance of briefly overcoming their will. If this occurs, you may ask them one question, and they must answer truthfully, or they will be bound (Binding-specific rules covered below).

Charter Mage: You’ve spent decades devoting yourself to learning the Charter. You can call upon the marks with unparalleled speed and power. You have three options:

• Spend one cycle to make a Charter-spelled sword. The next cycle, you may use this sword, or give it away. It will send Greater Dead back into Death, and bind Free Magic Entities. However, every time it is used, the marks fade. You can choose to spend a cycle renewing the marks, or allow the sword to break.
  • Spend one cycle making gethre plate. You may keep this, or choose to give it to another player. This will protect from one kill attempt. Passive.
  • Spend one cycle creating a Charter-skin. Once again, you may keep this, or give it to another. Using this skin, you may track one player learning of any actions taken that night, and avoid detection yourself. Must be renewed after a second use.
  • Any one of these items may be given to any player, but may only be used by someone without a connection to the Free Magic. (Any player who is not a Necromancer/Elemental/Undead)

Clayr: You have the Sight, and can see a number of possible futures. Its visions are often cryptic and confusing, but they’ve saved your life in the past, and may well do so again. Once every two cycles, you can choose a player, and you will be informed of any actions that are chosen to target them at any point. You will not know if these actions are retracted.

Free Magic Elemental: You are a shapechanger, a being made from magic itself, as old as the wind and the earth. Your actions cannot be tracked by a Charter Mage, and you may track one player each cycle. If you are attacked by an Abhorsen, Berserker, or Charter Mage, you will be bound. While bound, you may not take any actions, any votes you make will not count, and you don’t count towards the player count. However, you can still speak in the thread and PMs, and communicate with your doc-mates. For all intents and purposes you are dead, although you can still influence the living. You may be freed in exchange for a service. True information, a kill, a role-blocking, protection etc.

Greater Dead: You are a powerful undead, almost unkillable by mortal means. You have no active powers, but you can survive two attacks, including lynching. Once killed, you may still communicate with your doc-mates, but nothing else. If contacted by the Abhorsen after death, there is a chance that you might be returned to the game, in a weaker form.

Necromancer//Abhorsen: A mage claiming an ancient bloodline, you have a mastery of magic, particularly of spells dealing with the Dead and Free Magic; you are also in possession of a full set of Necromantic Bells. Similar to a regular Charter Mage, you have a few options.

• You can venture deep into Death to speak with one of the fallen. You may ask one yes or no question each cycle to one player that has died. They will be compelled to answer truthfully. This is detrimental, however, preventing you from placing votes, participating PMs etc. Exactly what is lost depends on how long the player in question has been dead, and the role of the particular player.
  • You can role-block one player, or remove their vote.
  • Once per game, you can make a single, unblockable kill attempt. You can choose to kill up to three people. You can only choose one of the targets, however. Using this ability will kill you.

Not exactly "Sanderson" Elimination, but what do you think? Does anyone like the idea? Have any suggestions? (And has anyone else even read these books? :P) I probably wouldn't run it unless there was actually a decent amount of interest in it, but I figure I may as well bring up the idea.

Totally excited, because I love the Old Kingdom :P I'll have to express my thoughts about the balance another time: not really feeling well at the moment.