The Art of Game Creation

Metacognition

Seriously?!?! It just deleted My Post! Ugh, I'll Shorten it down.

Endowment can invest the power of a Fallen Shard into a WorldHopper, making them a Splinter, but they can't invest in other Worldhoppers.

Example; Domination dies. Endowment Invests the Power of Domination in MetaCognition. Meta can change peoples Votes for the rest of the Game. But Meta CANNOT Invest in others.
But it's announced that a Splinter has Risen.

Edited by The Only Joe

Hmm... I kinda like it. Sort of like being a Returned. I suppose granting any of the players a permanent investiture is a big move in a game like this, especially if it stacks up (like being a Wirkdhopper, Invested with Honor, Splinter of a preservation).

(And damnation, I typed Dominion as Domination for some reason- I'll edit fix it later).

How do the other roles seem? I'm kind of worried about balance, especially with the investiture thing.

Edited by Quiver

This seems Perfectly Balanced. So Odium can only Kill Shards, Odiums Champ can Kill only World Hoppers, The Shards lynch one Shard a day, and the Whole group lynches one person a Day? Is this what it is? If so, this would need to have a Bigger player count than we even have Currently. But I love the Idea. I Call being Hoid!

Glad for the enthusiasm! Yeah, at first I didn't think we'd need that many players- it's the same number of roles, after all- but between world hopper hangings, Shard splinterings, Odium Splintering and the Champion killings, we'd be losing four players a turn. Defiantly need a lot of participants for this to last longer than a week.

Last night I was thinking how to fit the Synod and Kandra into a game together. Along with the 3rd, evil spiked team of course.

I'm not sure exactly how to make Feruchemy powers fill all of the roles required. We'd only need the basic ones we've been using so far.
Tin: Same as tineye
Zinc: mental speed. Maybe make this the detective, somehow? (you're fast mental thinking has allowed you to deduce their Alignment, but not their role, maybe?)
Gold: Like a thug, can survive an extra hit or two (depends on how we work out "charging metalminds")
Pewter:  We'll have to make this the Vigilante.
Steel or Iron: Not sure how we could work those in at all.

And then I'm stuck on the emotional allomancy roles we've been using. Not sure how to substitute those, exactly. (I like how Duralumin sounds in the other game, though. We'll have to wait and see how it pans out)

And then the Kandra, I was thinking that could be an interesting dynamic since they'll have a smaller team, but will be undetectable. And whenever somebody (or someone with a role) dies, one of the Kandra can maybe consume the body and get stronger? (each body they consume gives one of them an extra blessing, each can get up to so many blessings).

Not sure how the blessings would work out yet, either. This would also have to be a pretty large game for all of this to work out.
Thoughts?

For Steel, maybe storing "speed" means you can't vote during the relevant day cycle, but you can get an extra vote at the next?

As for Blessings, maybe have them be a passive abilities? Like, a Kandra with the Blessing of Stability can't be effected by emotional allomancy, perhaps?

Just a comment. Some people here are trying too hard to make the roles fit with the existing roles. I would suggest that you don't, having new and different roles can be far more interesting. Sure it can be nice to have some roles similar to what people already know, it makes things easier. But definitely don't feel the need to force powers to fit existing roles. Ignore existing roles, think about what that power does, then translate it into a new role altogether if at all possible :) (This is intended as a suggestion not a criticism, to be clear.)

Yes I will be taking my own advice, things will be quite different in the Nalthis game. There will be a couple of roles that feel familiar though.The basic rules won't be too drastically changed, but the roles will be quite different.

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

There's lots of neat stuff going on in here. I'm getting excited for the next game.

During the plane ride to Costa Rica, I was more than a little bored, and having copies of WoK and WoR in hand,I tried to put together a Stormlight Elimination. It's super rough, and I only managed to work in seven of the ten orders, but I want to see what people think.

Stormlight Elimination Roles: (Orders)

I tried as best I could to base each ability off a Surge, with each Order having access to two powers.

Windrunner: Can stop one player from using their role for the next turn. Includes Edgedancers/Dustbringers.

Skybreaker: Can kill one player per night, negates Edgedancing/Dustbringing.

Dustbringers: Can kill one per night or make themselves untargetable. (Eg. They cannot be killed, have their targets changed, or have their role found out. )

Edgedancers: Can save one person per night, or make themselves untargetable.

Truthwatchers: Can save one person per night, or open PMs between yourself and others. You must PM the other person first. In this sort of game, only Truthwatchers/Lightweavers can start conversations.

Lightweavers: Can ascertain one person's role, or open PMs with yourself and others.

Elsecallers: Can ascertain one player's role, or change someone's target. (Eg. A uses their power on B, but C makes A use their power on D, instead.)

Factions:

Taravangian's Followers (I don't really know what to call them): Their goal is to kill all of the other players. They may kill one player per night, as well as use any powers they may have.

Nalan's Skybreakers can only kill one per night as a group. Their goal is to kill all the Knights Radiant and survive to the end. Their kill is unaffected by the powers of Edgedancers/Dustbringers.

Potential Stormlight Mechanic:

To balance out some of the roles, (honestly, several of them are seriously overpowered) I think you'd need something like this:

There is a highstorm every three days, and after the highstorm each role that requires Stormlight has enough for two single actions, or one double.

If anybody likes these, feel free to use/adapt them however you want. I was thinking about trying my hand at GMing a game over the summer, but I don't really care all that much.

(Sending this on my IPhone, so I can't spoiler this to save space.)

Edit: I'm slowly trying to edit out typos and explain myself a little better.

Edit 2: Looking this over with a head slightly less foggy from jet lag induced insomnia, I realized I had to change a couple things to make the game work better. What do you think now?

Edited by AonarFaileas

Who is in line for Game 5? Quiver's Shardic Game sounds really Cool.

"I like to Whisper too."

And Lord Claincy, I hope your game will turn out well, and I wish you Luck in Running it.

Will Lifeless be a Role? Returned? Awakeners? Mercs? Idrian Spies? the God King?

Whispering is fun!

No (but sort of, they will be involved.) yes, yes, yes, yes, no.

Sorry that I'm being so secretive about it. I'll try to have a draft of the rules finished and post it here by the end of the week  :) Actually sorry, partly because I really don't want to distract from the current game I'll hold off posting too much of it for now. I'll just post mechanics that I want to get some feedback on. Sorry.

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

NALTHIS SHOULD BE NEXT.

IN FACT, WE SHOULD ONLY PLAY NALTHIS GAMES FROM NOW ON, FOREVER AND EVER.

(Sorry. Love Warbreaker, and it doesn't get nearly the amount of attention it deserves.)

I probably am hewing too closely to the roles we already have in place, but I guess (in my own defence)  That I'm rather incompetent and work best from a guide. The main thing I wanted to try implementing is working out a system for Investiture, so if I do run that Shard game, it would probably be tinkered for the next person to play it, based on how things work out.

Speaking of which... I've been trying to come up with Victory Conditions for the Shard game, and I've found myself tinkering with the rules a little (or... well, a lot):

Factions:

Voidbringers

Worldhoppers

17th Shard

Voidbringers: Odium, Odium's Champion, X number of Players

Worldhoppers: Hoid, X number of players

17th Shard: Remaining players

Voidbringers Major Victory: "The Broken One Reigns"

All the Shards are Shattered

Hoid is killed

Worldhoppers/17th Shard are outnumbered.

Voidbringers Minor Victory: "The most loathsome, crafty and dangerous individual I had ever met"

One of the above is not met (eg: Worldhoppers/17th Shard are destroyed, but Odium is Shattered)

(Still working on the other two factions; don't want to use Coppermidn to research quotes until I finish WoR, for fear of spoilers)

Did I do it right?

I've been thinking about a Scadrial Variant.

We have the Allomantic Metals and their effects. but we're missing an element, I think. Flaring Metals. It makes sense. Mistings/Mistborns have certain, limited resevoirs of metal, let's utilize that.

Ever since Meta linked to that one crazy game, I was fascinated by their Currency mechanic. Where voting/participating and doing stuff gives you rewards to spend on useful items. We have that already. Metals!

The game can be run by the GM/Town Metallurgist. He provides people were their metal reserves.

And with flaring, the roles don't even have to be changed that much.
Iron: Protect a target for being coinshot. FLARED: Save yourself and a target.
Steel: Coinshot once per night. FLARED: Counts as two hits on one target.
Bronze: . It could be a Villager Only role, but find out somebodies Role. FLARED: Find out somebodies role and alignment.
Copper: Smoke cloud yourself, protected from Emotional Allomancy. FLARED: Coppercloud yourself and somebody else.
Thug: Protect yourself from an attack. FLARED: You strike back, injuring your opponent and preventing them from using their role until next turn.
Tin: Send anonymous messages. FLARED: Maybe a limited form of UberTin? Can just like "overhear" a string of PMs from one certain target player, maybe?
Brass: Soothe away and negate a vote against yourself. FLARED: Negate a vote against yourself and somebody else's vote
Riot: Your vote is negated and you can change somebody elses vote. FLARED: Your vote isn't negated when you riot

Now obviously there might need to be some tweaking or balancing for these roles, but I think that's a decent starter.
Maybe throw in  Nicrosil or Chromium mistings as well? Target somebody and Leech or Nicroburst them?

But the twist is each Misting starts off with a certain amount at the beginning of the game. Using your power takes up 1 UNIT of Metals, while flaring it would take up 2. And so we'd have to find a way to earn our "currency" to buy Metals with, but it would just all be 'bought' through the GM.

What do you guys think? I just like the idea of Flaring metals and having to maintain some sort of reserve.
It might give the game just a little bit more edge!

@Gamma: I like it. I suggested earlier having "metallurgist" be one of the roles that players can have, and each night they can pick one person and refresh their metals. I think it would make for a great dynamic in a game like the one you're suggesting, with metallurgists using their powers as bribes to get other players to do what they want and etc.  ;)

If we don't have a Metalurgist role, we could have it that every 3 days, you get 3 Vials (Units) of Metal. This way you can burn all you want, or save up and Flare, or whatever. And the Mistborn can take the Vials of people he kills. Oh! Lurchers can Target one person, and steal any Vials they have!

For an interesting Stormlight role, you could have the Surgebinder, who can choose to kill or protect someone every night. However, if they kill an innocent, or protect a (insert villain group), then they permanently lose their powers. Another would be Parshendi, who randomly get assigned a form every night. Most forms grant powers, but Stormform will make you join the evil side for the rest of the game, randomly getting voidish variants of each form every night.

It think that would be a neat mechanic, but it might mess with the game too much. Everyone with those abilities would become super cautious about using them, slowing the game down, and towards the endgame, it would give the villagers a huge edge, as they would effectively have four roles they could use as Seekers.

I tried to work in a Parshendi role, that changed forms every highstorm, but I couldn't figure out what powers to give them. Warform and Stormform could both serve as several different roles, but what would the other forms do? I could try using the Songs from the epigraphs for inspiration, but thinking off the top of my head, the only other forms they mention are Nightform, Meditationform, Artform, and Scholarform.

I also really liked the earlier ideas in this thread about an Artifabrian role, I think if I ever do start a start a game, I'd probably include a variation of that role. Something like being able to grant a single power to one person each night, but after giving one power, it can't be given again until the next storm.

I don't think slowing the game down would be too much of a problem- after all, Surgebinder is only one role, and there could always be another killing role (maybe Honorblade/Herald) that is not constrained by hitting innocents. The only trouble then is to make Surgebinder strong enough that the other killing role doesn't outshine it – maybe their kills are double strength?

Was doing a quick reread of Alloy of Law and thought of a couple of ideas.

Steelrunner:  (Passive)  During the day you store speed making it easier for you to be lynched.  (+2 votes against you)

During night you use your speed to avoid being attacked.  (Cannot be killed during the night cycle)

While some have already brought up the idea of a Worldhopper I think we're missing an opportunity for a fun mechanic.  Bringing a role from one world to another. 

Worldhopper:  You are not from this world but instead come from xxxx. 

Depending on which world they come from they could have any of the already established roles.  Maybe have two of three depending on number of players, with each from a different world if possible.  If multiple people are Worldhoppers they should automatically know each other and have their own doc like the spiked.

Edited by Alvron

Meta, can you add me to the GM list. I'd like to do a Post-WoR kinda type game. Tell me what you think of these roles. I'm not so sure about some of them. (WoR spoilers)

Knights Radiant: Goal: to kill all the Voidbringers. Get to communicate on a Google Doc. Know who squires are.

-A Windrunner: Can choose two people who are pressured to vote together for the day or can protect one person.

-A Lightweaver: Can obscure their role and alignment or soulcast a person's vote

-A Bondsmith: Can choose two people a day to cause tension between and make them vote for different people or choose two people who have to vote together for the day.

-A Truthwatcher: Can discover one person's role and alignment per night. (Like a seeker) Or obscure their alignment and role. (Smoker)

Squires: Help KR with their goal. Know who KR are but don't get Doc access.

-Stormlight Squire: Can heal an attack at night using Stormlight.

-Regular Squires: No special powers.

Civilians: Goal: Kill all Voidbringers and KR.

-Highprince: Vote counts as two.

-Ardents: One can leave messages, one can soulcast a vote, and one can discover alignment.

-Regular citizens: no special powers.

Skybreakers: one group kill a night. Goal: to kill all KR. Doc Access.

-Nalan'Elin: Ultimately decides who the kill is.

-Skybreaker surgebinder: can negate someone's vote.

-A few Skybreaker regulars: no special powers.

Voidbringers: Goal: Kill all other players. Doc access.

-Dullforms: No special powers.

-Warform: Kill one person a night.

-Nimbleform: can find out one persons role per night.

-Mateform: ???? No ideas

-Stormform: Can kill a person during the day, but everyone knows.

A role I would like to hear other people's thoughts on:

Mercenary.

The mercenary can choose someone to protect each night cycle. If that person is attacked the mercenary kills the attacker but is wounded in the process and is unable to protect others again unless healed by a divine breath.

Clearly intended for the Nalthis game.

So sort of a more powerful, but single use Lurching? It seems like it could be pretty useful, and doesn't look too overpowered. If ever someone looked like they were for sure going to be killed it would be a nice, easy way to pick off a Spiked. That will change the game dynamic a fair bit for the Spiked (Pahn Kahl?); they'll always have to be weighing in the chance that they will lose someone by attacking an obvious target. Overall, I like it. (I reserve the right to change my mind though if I end up on team evil next game :P)

Edited by AonarFaileas

Thanks for the input. Your potential objection is noted, shall I tell everyone that the rule has changed if you are spiked? ;)

I'm planning to have some people as Idrians and some as Hallendrens, everyone will know whether a character is Idrian or Hallendren. A larger portion of the roles will be Idrian but the Hallendren will have multiple awakeners with different quantities of breath. So the spiked will have to puzzle over who to attack, as both the mercenary and the spy (seeker-like role) will be Idrian. (The Pahn Kahl will appear as Idrian or Hallendren.)

Define "divine."

If you mean a Return's breath, then I think it's perfectly balanced. If you mean any breath, then I think they should only learn the identity (possibly their allegiance as well) of the attacker and negating the attack. 

I don't actually expect you to answer (because I already know a bit about how you plan to set things up), but that is the distinction I would make between OP and not.