Spoiler Tags

Delightful

It can be found in the special BBCode thing, which is just to the left of the font selector. Or you can use

[spoiler][/spoiler]
No worries, it's a little bit of a hidden feature if you aren't familiar with BBCode :)

Is there a way to make this topic stand out a little more to new posters? It seems like it should be in something like a faq for new members, as I had to look it up after joining as well. I also think the rules for what material needs use spoiler brackets for the various forums would be another useful thing to include in that faq.

I could put that somewhere in the Welcome to 17th Shard guide, which has basic info and rules. Good idea.

EDIT: Speaking of which, are there any other site functions that I should put in that guide, while I'm at it?

Edited by Chaos

I just took a look through.

In "Rating Articles, Blog Posts, Gallery Images" it talks about a 5 star rating. This is still true for blogs but I take it that this was replaced with the rep system the rest of the site uses for the gallery and articles.

The list of forums on the site needs a serious update.

The blog feature. Out of curiosity more than an actual desire to do one I had a bit of a search to see how to start one on here, and came up completely blank. It might also be worth mentioning that the News page is the easiest place to access others blogs as I believe many people don't go there at all.

I think it might be somewhat helpful to have a quick note explaining how to link to a specific post on the site. It is a simple system but I had no clue how to do it till Kurk told me.

Also maybe a line or two on how to post images for people who are new to forums in general. (Like I was :) )

I hope some of that is helpful. Most of the guide is quite good :)

Thanks! I guess it is quite out of date, really XD I'll need to work on that... well. At some point.

Those are all really good things to add. I believe I removed the star ratings, as it felt strange and disjoint from the actual reputation system. I also depreciated Blogs because few used them; you can easily access Blogs using the overflow menu to the left of the search box.

That's so weird - I never really noticed that section of the site, even though that's a logical place to put the rules. It might just be me that's unobservant though.

I'd say maybe put some kind of link or reference in the 'Introduce Yourself' section, since that's where all the new users tend to hang out.

I'm double posting, because it's relevant and because muwhahaha.

So, I've updated the forum description of News and Guides with a link directly to the rules section of the Welcome to 17th Shard post. This was the main thing I thought of when you wanted the rules to be more obvious. Is this sufficient? Visible enough? Granted, if it isn't visible enough, I'm not totally sure what I'd do next to fix that. What do you think?

I'll get to revising the actual contents of that topic pretty soon, but hopefully this helps. When I finally update it, I'll tweet about it.

Also, regarding basic site features, you know there's the detailed, built in help files, right? http://www.17thshard.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=help This can be found at the bottom of the site (by the Change Theme button), as well as searchable from the main search bar. (Though some of the icons seem out of date in it...)

I'm double posting, because it's relevant and because muwhahaha.

So, I've updated the forum description of News and Guides with a link directly to the rules section of the Welcome to 17th Shard post. This was the main thing I thought of when you wanted the rules to be more obvious. Is this sufficient? Visible enough? Granted, if it isn't visible enough, I'm not totally sure what I'd do next to fix that. What do you think?

Yeah that's better :)

Other than that, I dunno. Maybe there could be a link to them in the confirmation email. Then again, I get the feeling most people don't actually read confirmation emails ;) I think what you have done should do the trick :)

Also, regarding basic site features, you know there's the detailed, built in help files, right? http://www.17thshard.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=help This can be found at the bottom of the site (by the Change Theme button), as well as searchable from the main search bar. (Though some of the icons seem out of date in it...)

... :blink:

Ahem, well, that is good to know :)

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

Clearly I need to make the link to the help files more obvious in the updated Welcome to 17th Shard post ;)

I have investigated the email matter, and there are some difficulties involved with that. I will let you know when I figure it out and will post it in that other topic.

'be nice if we can upgrade the spoiler tags to include a description / title... So the button can say [Words of Radiance Spoilers] instead of just [spoilers] for example.

I'm not sure that will be possible.