Who knows about the Shattering?

Bromo_Sapien

Question

Have we ever gotten a WoB about who else knows about the Shattering besides the 16 original shard holders, Harmony, and Hoid? I know he has said that Khriss is the most knowledgable and that Nazh knows approximately as much as Hoid but does that include the Shattering? I can't see how it would, since I doubt K or N are in contact with a Shard Holder and I doubt Hoid gives that info away. 

And how much do the natives of Yolen know about the Shattering? I would imagine that the destruction of a god would be a notable event but we have heard nothing from other Yolenites (Yoleners?).

19 answers to this question

Khriss and Nazh most certainly know about the shattering.

Secret History spoiler:

They reference it in Secret History while speaking with Kelsier.

Also, as @Patar said, Frost likely knows about it per his conversation with Hoid in the Letters (he may have even been involved).

Edited by Iron Eyes

So I always assumed he was a Shard Holder, and was about to reply as much until I actually went back and reread the Letters. It doesn't say anything about him having a shard, just that he is knowledgable of the Shard Holders and the happenings in the cosmere. Interesting.

So if he is not a Shard Holder and instead merely another Yolenite, that makes it seem like all Yolenites know about the Shattering (which also makes sense. Like I said above, the destruction of a god seems pretty monumental). Where are all of these other Yolenites who know the truth of the Shattering? On an entire planet, I couldn't imagine Hoid would be the only one who rejects Frost's notion of nonintervention. 

1 hour ago, Bromo_Sapien said:

So if he is not a Shard Holder and instead merely another Yolenite, that makes it seem like all Yolenites know about the Shattering (which also makes sense. Like I said above, the destruction of a god seems pretty monumental). Where are all of these other Yolenites who know the truth of the Shattering? On an entire planet, I couldn't imagine Hoid would be the only one who rejects Frost's notion of nonintervention. 

Based on the letter though, Frost was close to Rayse, Ati, Skai, Aona and the other shardholders like Hoid, indicating that he was in on the Shattering plot more directly as well. As such, we cannot look to him either as an example of what other inhabitants of Yolen know, as I doubt he is just an average inhabitant with regards to the Shattering. 

1 hour ago, Bromo_Sapien said:

So I always assumed he was a Shard Holder, and was about to reply as much until I actually went back and reread the Letters. It doesn't say anything about him having a shard, just that he is knowledgable of the Shard Holders and the happenings in the cosmere. Interesting.

I'm not sure if we know for sure that Frost is not a Vessel, but we can make a reasonably educated guess that he is not. He is a Dragon however, not that that effects whether or not he is a Vessel.

As for Yolenites, With the exception of characters in the Liars of Partinel excerpts and the original Dragonsteel manuscript the only Yolenites we know of are the 16 original Vessels and Hoid, I'm not sure we even know 100% that Frost is from Yolen although it is strongly implied.

Edited by Iron Eyes

20 hours ago, Iron Eyes said:

I'm not sure if we know for sure that Frost is not a Vessel, but we can make a reasonably educated guess that he is not. He is a Dragon however, not that that effects whether or not he is a Vessel.

As for Yolenites, With the exception of characters in the Liars of Partinel excerpts and the original Dragonsteel manuscript the only Yolenites we know of are the 16 original Vessels and Hoid, I'm not sure we even know 100% that Frost is from Yolen although it is strongly implied.

Do we know for certain that Frost is a Dragon? I know Hoid calls him "old Lizard" but my first time reading that I assumed it was because Frost was a leathery faced old man. It wasn't until people started saying he was a Dragon that I made that connection. 

3 minutes ago, theuntaintedchild said:

Do we know for certain that Frost is a Dragon? I know Hoid calls him "old Lizard" but my first time reading that I assumed it was because Frost was a leathery faced old man. It wasn't until people started saying he was a Dragon that I made that connection. 

Here are a couple of relevant WoBs. In addition, I have spoken with Brandon briefly regarding Frost at a signing and he confirmed that he is indeed a dragon.

Interview: Jan 7th, 2015

Question

What do you want to know about Frost? Everything.

Brandon Sanderson

I’m not going to tell you everything about Frost. He’s still alive. He can be killed, he’s just functionally immortal, he just doesn’t age. He was born as one. It is a race.

Tags

Interview: Feb 17th, 2016

Question

Where Hoid and Frost some of the older humans created by Adonalsium?

Brandon Sanderson

You will find that out eventually… Frost is not a human.

Tags

Interview: Apr 8th, 2016

Question

I was wondering if we were very going to see Dragons in the Cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, Dragonsteel. One of the first books I ever wrote in the Cosmere has dragons. It's also just one of the weaker books, so I can't publish it as is, but yea. Being a big fan of dragons, I did write them into the Cosmere. They are the one standard fantasy race in there.

Question

Are they ever going to infiltrate the other worlds kind of?

Brandon Sanderson

*Talks about the letter and Frost, Flashback order, and the girls costume*

Tags

Slight sidetrack, but I find it interesting that Brandon describes Frost as having been born a functional immortal, when the first letter describes the recipient in a manner which implies that they only recently became immortal, at least, a new state since the last time the two people corresponded. Perhaps the recipient is not Frost after all or Brandon changed his mind slightly. 

Though, as you are now essentially immortal, I would guess that wellness on your part is something of a given

1 hour ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I find it interesting that Brandon describes Frost as having been born a functional immortal

I'm not sure the "He was born as one" refers to the "he's functionally immortal". One uses the adjective "immortal", the other refers back to a noun. I think it's more likely that part of the question got cut/not recorded. Something about how he became a dragon, or something. I dunno.

Edit: found the transcript of the audio recording:

[...]

B: What do you want to know about Frost?

Q: Everything.

B: Then no.  I’m not going to tell you everything about Frost.  [He’s still alive.]

Q: [He’s immortal?]

B: He can be killed, he’s just functionally immortal, he just doesn’t age.

Q: [Has he always been able to (inaudible)...]

B: Yes.

Q: [...]

B: [He was born as one]

Q: [Born as one]

B: It is a race.

So yeah, the Theoryland version is a bit confusing.

Edited by Eki

58 minutes ago, Eki said:

I'm not sure the "He was born as one" refers to the "he's functionally immortal". One uses the adjective "immortal", the other refers back to a noun. I think it's more likely that part of the question got cut/not recorded. Something about how he became a dragon, or something. I dunno.

Edit: found the transcript of the audio recording:

So yeah, the Theoryland version is a bit confusing.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Slight sidetrack, but I find it interesting that Brandon describes Frost as having been born a functional immortal, when the first letter describes the recipient in a manner which implies that they only recently became immortal, at least, a new state since the last time the two people corresponded. Perhaps the recipient is not Frost after all or Brandon changed his mind slightly. 

I always thought that quote was from the Letter from Frost to Hoid. Am I misremembering? Hoid wasn't always "functionally immortal", so it makes sense then.

13 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I always thought that quote was from the Letter from Frost to Hoid. Am I misremembering? Hoid wasn't always "functionally immortal", so it makes sense then.

The quote is from the first letter, the one asking for help and admitting to the accusations against Rayne and Bavadin.

1 minute ago, Spoolofwhool said:

The quote is from the first letter, the one asking for help and admitting to the accusations against Rayne and Bavadin.

That completely changes a lot of my thoughts on Frost. I had that all mixed around.

In regards to the original sixteen Vessels, the only thing Brandon's said about them is there are three races on Yolen so don't assume they're all human.....but I for one would love to get confirmation on whether or not they all are native Yolenites. We know that other worlds and humans on some of these worlds pre-dated the Shattering, and that Adonalsium was Invested in Roshar pre-Shattering as well (though this doesn't necessarily mean that humans were present on Roshar pre-Shattering, I just mean that Adonalsium was not solely focused on Yolen). So what I'd like to know is if world-hopping existed before the Shattering as well. Were Hoid or any of the sixteen Vessels aware of these other worlds before the Shattering, had any of them traveled to them by some means or another, or did any of them originate from another world?