Child of Honor?

Kered

So on my from and to work I like to listen to the WoR audio book, just for the fact that I've picked up a few things that I didn't notice through my first read of the book. One of those things is the the following.

In part 5, just before Syl comes back to Kaladin, the storm father has a conversation with Dalinar. Talking about the Everstorm coming. And right at the end of the conversation, the Storm Father calls Dalinar a "child of honor". This could just be a reference to Dalinar's personality, or could it be something more? I don't recall, may be wrong, a time where Kaladin was referred to as a child of Honor. So could this mean that Dalinar is a literal child of Honor? A decedent of the vessel of Honor and Cultivation? Good be far fetched, but it would be great to hear your guys thoughts.

34 minutes ago, Iron Eyes said:

I think all Humans on Roshar (excluding the world-hoppers) would qualify as Children of Honor. Similarly I suspect you could call the people of Scadrial Children of Preservation/Ruin/Harmony.

I was under the impression that Rosharans were brought there from another world, not created on Roshar like Scadrians were on Scadrial. So they wouldn't qualify as being children of Honor as they weren't created by Honor, nor Cultivation.

11 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I was under the impression that Rosharans were brought there from another world, not created on Roshar like Scadrians were on Scadrial. So they wouldn't qualify as being children of Honor as they weren't created by Honor, nor Cultivation.

My understanding is that Roshar existed prior to Honor/Cultivation/Odium coming to Roshar. The Listeners were native to Roshar but the humans were not there until the Shards came to Roshar. Brandon has confirmed that Rosharan humans have innate investiture similar to people from Scadrial. I may have been making a logical leap that this was because the Shards created them.

Edited by Iron Eyes

19 minutes ago, Iron Eyes said:

My understanding is that Roshar existed prior to Honor/Cultivation/Odium coming to Roshar.

Correct.

19 minutes ago, Iron Eyes said:

The Listeners were native to Roshar but the humans were not there until the Shards came to Roshar.

Not necessarily correct. I personally think this is very likely, but we don't know this at 100%.

25 minutes ago, Iron Eyes said:

My understanding is that Roshar existed prior to Honor/Cultivation/Odium coming to Roshar. The Listeners were native to Roshar but the humans were not there until the Shards came to Roshar. Brandon has confirmed that Rosharan humans have innate investiture similar to people from Scadrial. I may have been making a logical leap that this was because the Shards created them.

Likely correct. though the second part could either mean the shards brought them, or that the shards created them. 

1 hour ago, happyman said:

Don't we have Word of Honor himself, claiming that he created humanity?  From the end of Way of Kings?

He did claim it, yes. At a Cosmere level that is false; humans existed pre-Shattering. Whether he created the sect of humans on Roshar is unknown. That is likely what he is referencing, in any case.

3 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

He did claim it, yes. At a Cosmere level that is false; humans existed pre-Shattering. Whether he created the sect of humans on Roshar is unknown. That is likely what he is referencing, in any case.

Well, yeah, not everywhere.  But (once we take into account the speaker and his audience), Honor was saying that he created the "local species" of human.

I tend to believe him.  Unless you really, really, really want to claim that he was lying somehow.  Let's call that "unlikely."

Actually, update. I checked Way of Kings for the specific passage where Honor named himself the creator of humans, and it turns out he didn't name himself that. He identified himself as the one [Dalinar] calls the Almighty, creator of Mankind. As such, it appears that the creator of humans is a Vorin title for Honor, not a title he has bestowed on himself.

The passage:

"Who are you?" Dalinar asked again. And yet, he thought he knew.

"I am… I was… God. The one you call the Almighty, the creator of mankind." The figure closed his eyes. "And now I am dead. Odium has killed me. I am sorry."

Way of Kings, Chapter 75

It is ambiguous I admit. It can be either "the creator of mankind" describing Almighty, that people call him, or himself. Personally, I think it is describing Almighty, particularly since I'm 90% certain I read somewhere that humans were brought to Roshar from another place, and I feel like it was an official source.

15 hours ago, KereDerek said:

So on my from and to work I like to listen to the WoR audio book, just for the fact that I've picked up a few things that I didn't notice through my first read of the book. One of those things is the the following.

In part 5, just before Syl comes back to Kaladin, the storm father has a conversation with Dalinar. Talking about the Everstorm coming. And right at the end of the conversation, the Storm Father calls Dalinar a "child of honor". This could just be a reference to Dalinar's personality, or could it be something more? I don't recall, may be wrong, a time where Kaladin was referred to as a child of Honor. So could this mean that Dalinar is a literal child of Honor? A decedent of the vessel of Honor and Cultivation? Good be far fetched, but it would be great to hear your guys thoughts.

Kaladin was called a child of Tanavast. Dont over think it. It just means that Honor created humanity.

Its similar to how in Christianity, the Lord is our Father. For an world example, check Shallan being referred to as one of Ishar's knights. This doesnt mean that he thought Shallan was a Bondsmith or anything. Ishar is the one who organized the surgebinders, therefore all knight radiants can be called Ishar's knights.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, kean said:

Remember there are three planets on rosharian system one of  honor one of cultivation and one of odium that is my understanding and the heralds after a desolation went to odiums plant.

Sorry about the spelling

There are three planets, but as far as we know, both Honor and Cultivation invested in Roshar, Odium is trapped on Braize (we don't know for sure if he invested there, I don't think), and none of the Shards are confirmed to have anything to do with Ashyn.

I think humans have parts of honor(like Syl mentioned once) and/or cultivation if they are not created by both shards. Like in Mistborn case

Spoiler

where all of Scadrial are children of Ruin and Preservation. Even Harmony calls Wax child which i presume he isn't the only one he called him that. 

• Chaos locked this topic