Hello from Los Angeles!

hi.im.caleb

Just wanted to drop in here from Los Angeles. I'm 24 years young and obsessed with unclichéd fantasy. I am also currently writing a TV series and feature length film series.

My discovery of Sanderson's work led to an immediate obsession with his choice of fantasy elements that were rooted in unique magics and worlds of his making. It saddens me deeply that Hollywood lacks any significant works that fit strongly into what he defines as Hard Magic systems. Outside of Sci-Fi, there isn't much of that in the way of Fantasy. 

As a pursuing writer for just over half a decade now, I have been intrigued by such world-building elements before I knew of Sanderson and in finding him, found a sweet spot. Prior to Sanderson, I had a huge obsession with Anime for its use of such systems in its story telling.

I just wanted to say hello! My dream is to begin creating stories through feature lengths and series' as Sanderson does though literature. I tried my way at writing novels but wasn't satisfied with the process. I am and have truly always been a film maker and that continues to be true.

Also, while I'm not producing much content right now while I focus more on growing and writing, you can follow my adventures on social media:

http://twitter.com/crazeecaleb
http://instagram.com/hi.im.caleb

You will like see more design-oriented content on my social as I currently work as a freelance designer/film maker. In due time, this will shift as I am able to start focusing my personal brand on being film maker/writer and also actor.

So excited to join the conversation! :)

3 minutes ago, hi.im.caleb said:

Just wanted to drop in here from Los Angeles. I'm 24 years young and obsessed with unclichéd fantasy. I am also currently writing a TV series and feature length film series.

My discovery of Sanderson's work led to an immediate obsession with his choice of fantasy elements that were rooted in unique magics and worlds of his making. It saddens me deeply that Hollywood lacks any significant works that fit strongly into what he defines as Hard Magic systems. Outside of Sci-Fi, there isn't much of that in the way of Fantasy. 

As a pursuing writer for just over half a decade now, I have been intrigued by such world-building elements before I knew of Sanderson and in finding him, found a sweet spot. Prior to Sanderson, I had a huge obsession with Anime for its use of such systems in its story telling.

I just wanted to say hello! My dream is to begin creating stories through feature lengths and series' as Sanderson does though literature. I tried my way at writing novels but wasn't satisfied with the process. I am and have truly always been a film maker and that continues to be true.

Also, while I'm not producing much content right now while I focus more on growing and writing, you can follow my adventures on social media:

http://twitter.com/crazeecaleb
http://instagram.com/hi.im.caleb

You will like see more design-oriented content on my social as I currently work as a freelance designer/film maker. In due time, this will shift as I am able to start focusing my personal brand on being film maker/writer and also actor.

So excited to join the conversation! :)

Hi, Caleb! I'm bleeder. I wear vests and talk about music (a lot). 

Welcome to the Shard! We try to have educated conversations on Sanderson and his works, et c., but we usually end up veering off into topics like marmalades and how to stop crying at Flowers for Algernon. 

Oh, hey, speaking of baking, don't eat the cookies. 

Welcome, welcome! If you ever need anything, feel free to let me know!

*crosses fingers, hoping that you're writing the Stormlight Archive movies*

Edited by bleeder

Ha, yeah, that's true. And I agree. I suppose I meant, hard magic outside the realm of superheroes. And technically, before Doctor Strange, it could be said that the Marvel heroes are technically sci-fi, as their powers were man-made and have fictional scientific explanations rather than fantasy/supernatural explanations. ;) 

15 hours ago, hi.im.caleb said:

as their powers were man-made and have fictional scientific explanations rather than fantasy/supernatural explanations.

What about Asgardians though? They may say that magic and technology is one and the same to them, but if we really do apply that logic then Strange's magic would also count as technically sci-fi.

This is totally true. But I'd even say, outside of Thor's powers, most of Asgard is mostly soft magic as we don't know how it works.

I guess my goal reigns true when it comes to bringing new original magical stories to Hollywood. I'd actually say that the closest we have to that is Harry Potter. Although it's at a mid-point between hard and soft magic, it still has a strong set of rules.

And also, with Dr. Strange, he's all magic, actually. Where as Asgard is, as you said, a crosspoint of magic and tech, I believe Dr. Strange's powers are completely magic-based. 

16 minutes ago, hi.im.caleb said:

Where as Asgard is, as you said, a crosspoint of magic and tech,

I wouldn't call it that. Crosspoint bears the meaning of combining technology and magic but Asgardians have no distinction between the two. It makes it something else.

Anyway, I have yet to see Dr Strange.

Fair enough! Either way. :D

And nor have I, rather read and watched many interviews from the writers. They have talked about how past movies have mostly been scientific, whereas Dr. Strange is the first to be completely based in mystical arts and magic. Should be interesting! I'm sincerely hoping we get something of a modern day fantasy magic system here.