2016-11-29 [Arcanum Unbounded] Old Firehouse Books - Fort Collins, CO

Silverblade5

On 11/30/2016 at 0:16 AM, emailanimal said:

That last tidbit is, I think, brand new. 

Not really.  We more or less got a direct statement about him not really understanding why in WoR.  It was when he was talking to Dalinar just before leaving to go find where Jasnah reappears.

12 minutes ago, PallonianFire said:

Maybe there's a difference between odiumspren and spren that are of Odium, a la honorspren like Syl and other spren that are splinters of Honor?

I'd guess so - after all, stormspren are apparently also of Odium, and yet Brandon doesn't count them as odiumspren, it'd seem. So a true odiumspren might be something like anti-honorspren? Maybe we'll see anti-Syl somewhere. 

4 hours ago, iceblade44 said:

Yay we got what type of spren Ivory is. i have to admit inkspren does seem a little lackluster to be honest but mabye the reason they are KR spren has to do less with actual ink but.what the ink is actually used (i.e. books) that pretty much signifies civilization.

Which is why Elsecallers are awesome (-:

1 hour ago, Argent said:

4 hours ago, PallonianFire said:

Q: What kind of spren is Ivory?

A: Inkspren

Huh. This is nicely fitting, and also awfully surprising in its reveal.

To continue the thought, this is actually an excellent clue of how Jasnah acquired one. They were probably like "OMG.... This is some awesome writing she is doing!!! Must... bond... NOW...."

10 hours ago, PallonianFire said:

Q: What kind of spren is Ivory?

A: Inkspren

This is a bit unexpected but makes sense. Beind an inkspren, but called "Ivory". I once asked about his name, and Peter told me that this name does mean white (The choice of it is intentional.), which is an interesting contrast. The Rosharans get ivory from certain kinds of creatures' tusks and spurs, like on a whitespine.

1 minute ago, Botanica said:

This is a bit unexpected but makes sense. Beind an inkspren, but called "Ivory". I once asked about his name, and Peter told me that this name does mean white (The choice of it is intentional.), which is an interesting contrast. The Rosharans get ivory from certain kinds of creatures' tusks and spurs, like on a whitespine.

There is a deleted scene that is from Jasnah's point of view right after she got stabbed and transitioned herself into the cognitive realm. Ivory had mother-of-pearl white skin and wore a sharp black suit. I'm guessing he is named after his 'skin' tone.

1 hour ago, Blightsong said:

There is a deleted scene that is from Jasnah's point of view right after she got stabbed and transitioned herself into the cognitive realm. Ivory had mother-of-pearl white skin and wore a sharp black suit. I'm guessing he is named after his 'skin' tone.

Nice. I'd love to read that deleted scene. Do you have a link?

7 hours ago, PallonianFire said:

Maybe there's a difference between odiumspren and spren that are of Odium, a la honorspren like Syl and other spren that are splinters of Honor?

Yeah, Jasnah implies that the generic term for spren that are of Odium is voidspren. Odiumspren is probably a specific species of voidspren. It's also like how Cultivation-based spren are called naturespren and there's a specific species called cultivationspren (of which Wyndle is one). Honor-based spren are emotionspren and, as you said, Syl in particular is honorspren. Of course, there are spren that are mixtures, so it gets more complex.

Edited by Ookla the Insipid

12 minutes ago, Ookla the Insipid said:

Nice. I'd love to read that deleted scene. Do you have a link?

Yeah, Jasnah implies that the generic term for spren that are of Odium is voidspren. Odiumspren is probably a specific species of voidspren. It's also like how Cultivation-based spren are called naturespren and there's a specific species called cultivationspren (of which Wyndle is one). Honor-based spren are emotionspren and, as you said, Syl in particular is honorspren. Of course, there are spren that are mixtures, so it gets more complex.

Here ya go.

56 minutes ago, Blightsong said:

Oh, I remember that. It doesn't explicitly say that Ivory had white skin, but rather it's described as having a "mother-of-pearl sheen". This means his skin is iridescent, not necessarily white (Wikipedia even mentions a black variety of mother-of-pearl).

But yeah, it's possible Ivory's skin looks like white nacre. That might be why he's called Ivory.

Edited by Ookla the Insipid

10 hours ago, Blightsong said:

Excellent scene. Did not realize it was deleted - thought it'd be a small flashback in Oathbringer (given that we were promised some details of her journey).

"Ivory" always made sense as a name of Jasnah's spren due to the obvious "Ivory Tower" connotations. Those do not exist in Cosmere (I would think), or at least, they do not exist on Roshar, so there must've been an in-universe reason. But for the English-speaking reader, Jasnah's personality and pursuits match the name of the spren perfectly.

49 minutes ago, Ookla the Indefinite said:

Technically it's not a deleted scene. Brandon wrote about a novella's worth of Jasnah's travels through Shadesmar because he needed to work through what happened, but he never intended on releasing it.

Which will never stop making me sad...

Once it no longer contains any world-shattering spoilers, I think there's a good chance we'll see it in Arcanum Reloaded or another short story collection. (What other good titles did we come up with for Arcanum Unbounded 2? The Arcanum Strikes Back? Khriss and Nazh's Bogus Journey? Arcanumman 2: The Legend Continues?)

18 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Once it no longer contains any world-shattering spoilers, I think there's a good chance we'll see it in Arcanum Reloaded or another short story collection. (What other good titles did we come up with for Arcanum Unbounded 2? The Arcanum Strikes Back? Khriss and Nazh's Bogus Journey? Arcanumman 2: The Legend Continues?)

Arcanum Unbounded HD I.8 Final Chapter Prologue

4 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

Arcanium 2: The Electric Boogaloo.

Speaking of which, I am still not over the fact that Stick was not included in the original volume. 

Edited by emailanimal

3 hours ago, jofwu said:

"The following short story contains minor spoilers for Words of Radiance"

Important question: what would Stick's chapter icon be? Can someone please make this?

A stick going through an infinity symbol to represent stick's determination to not change for pesky humans.

Edited by Blightsong
Screw mobile keyboard