The Ultimate Reread Thread

Oversleep

When people are going for reread, they sometimes ask if there's something they should keep an eye for.
At the same time, we often lack quotes which are helpful in various situations - like the steelbubble efficiency discussion, Steelpushing measurements or mentions of rhytms of any kind in Stormlight.

Why don't we combine the two and create a giant thread contaning an exhaustive list of anything to look for during rereads? The rereaders could post relevant quotes here and we could gather them with proper organization.

Right now we need to accumulate various things to look for. Please post anything you may think of.

COSMERE

• worldhoppers, Hoid, the usual
  • perpendicularities (used to be known as Shardpools)
  • gods that may be Bavadin
  • religions that may have been started or influenced by Bavadin
  • the worldhopping kandra, WalDo
  • Hemalurgy was used somewhere else in cosmere - it can be WalDo though
  • the other (not Hemalurgy) end-negative system - WoB has it we've seen it hinted at
  • Night sky in general
  • epigraphs, newspapers, Herald faces, you know the drill

ROSHAR

• secret societies
  • rhytms and Soulcasting/fabrials/artifabrians
  • secret societies
  • stormwardens, their predictions/equations, inheritance rights
  • secret societies
  • math and physics (how advanced it is, what have they figured out)
  • secret societies
  • Shardplate and its enhancements
  • secret societies
  • Stormlight holding feats
  • secret societies
  • Taln's Scar, other stars
  • secret societies
  • Edgedancer spoiler:
    Spoiler

cremlings which could be part of Sleepless

or any strange looking cremlings

• Heralds
  • secret societies

SCADRIAL

GENERAL

• Pewter Allomancy feats (for example to be able to compare to holding Stormlight)
  • Steelpushing (to calculate the force)
  • Feruchemical iron
  • Allomantic strength/multiple spikes/savants and burning/flaring speed/strength
  • Metal lines/atium shadows - are they visible even if they're not in your field of vision?
  • Red Rip

FIRST ERA

• technology level of the Final Empire
  • Felt

SECOND ERA

• Technology and advancement
  • Speedbubbles (although I think @Kurkistan already has anything possible about that topic :P ). But I'm interested in compression factor.
  • Wax's steelbubble
  • aluminum's worth and usage/development
  • hints of what Kelsier is up to

SEL

ELANTRIS

• references to programming Aons (for example conditional instructions)

EMPEROR'S SOUL

•  

NALTHIS

• what Nightblood is made of (how does he look like?)

TALDAIN

•  

MINOR SHARDWORLDS

THRENODY

• possible perpendicularites (which are unpredictable and of morbid origin)
  • specific rituals to become a Cognitive Shadow (Nazh mentioned them in Secret History)
  • Starbelt

FIRST OF THE SUN

• The Ones Above
Edited by Oversleep

Just saw this, good idea!

Not sure if it's what you're getting at but here are a couple of thoughts I have of questions I wish I'd focused on during my first rereads (or have come up since). I'll try remember more of I've had recently.

Threnody - hints on deliberately becoming a Cognitive Shadow as distinct from a normal Shade (after Nazh said it involves specific rituals); possible perpendicularities (that are unpredictable and have morbid origins).

All stories - religions that could be of Bavadin; the other end-negative magic system.

4 minutes ago, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

Hold on, there's a magic system hidden somewhere that we don't know about?

Another end-negative one, like hemalurgy. And yep it's been talked about a couple of times, most significantly in a recent signing.

INTERVIEW: Nov 30th, 2016

Borderlands SF-AU Tour (Paraphrased)

QUESTION

Have we seen any of the system or the world that has end-negative magic system other than Hemalurgy?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes there is one more end-negative magic system and you have seen minor hints of it

3 minutes ago, Extesian said:

Another end-negative one, like hemalurgy. And yep it's been talked about a couple of times, most significantly in a recent signing.

Hmm. Do we know if the Dakhor-monk magic system is end-negative? Off the top of my head, it seems like the most likely candidate.

2 minutes ago, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

Hmm. Do we know if the Dakhor-monk magic system is end-negative? Off the top of my head, it seems like the most likely candidate.

I doubt it - all Selian systems relay on Investiture filtering in from the Dor in Cognitive Realm. Unless Dakhor reverses that flow it seems unlikely (there's a high price of human lives but there is net increase).

Just now, Oversleep said:

I doubt it - all Selian systems relay on Investiture filtering in from the Dor in Cognitive Realm. Unless Dakhor reverses that flow it seems unlikely (there's a high price of human lives but there is net increase).

Ah well. Time to start searching, then!

6 minutes ago, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

I agree it's the most likely candidate. I'm just not sure based on the wording that we have seen minor hints of it. That could mean a system we've seen plenty of but we've seen minor hints of it being end-negative (Dakhor would fit then) but it sounds more to me like we've only seen hints of the system itself. 

Edit - just saw this and seems like a good point. I'm wondering if it could be the magic on Threnody. That's one we've only seen hints of. But i suspect it's something more obscure, some niche system on Roshar or one on a minor Shardworld. But yes, hard to guess which is why it's on my list for general reread focus

I doubt it - all Selian systems relay on Investiture filtering in from the Dor in Cognitive Realm. Unless Dakhor reverses that flow it seems unlikely (there's a high price of human lives but there is net increase).

Edited by Extesian

2 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

It is a very detailed list, but for mistborn first generation perhaps hints

Hide contents

of kelsier's behind the scene action a la SH.

Secret History literally shows us all of that, and combined with the Era 1 books gives all the information. 

Not trying to be totally negative here, I just don't understand what you're hoping to find. 

On 8/3/2017 at 8:08 PM, Nathrangking said:

It is a very detailed list, but for mistborn first generation perhaps hints

Reveal hidden contents

of kelsier's behind the scene action a la SH.

Perhaps we could be looking at this for Era 2, because Brandon has commented that there are some hints throughout at what he's been up to.

On 4.08.2017 at 2:34 AM, Oversleep said:

I should probably update that list. Anyone wants to help?

" Metal lines/atium shadows - are they visible even if they're not in your field of vision? "

Metal lines are visible while not in field of vision - they are even visible with eyes closed. I will add quotes tomorrow ( I dont remember where did I write them :D)

About future things, I would add for Scadrial - lookout for things explaining how Ruin could influence Preservation Mists

On 04/08/2017 at 10:34 AM, Oversleep said:

I should probably update that list. Anyone wants to help?

I'm happy to help, this thread is a good idea. But I'm useless at thinking of these things off the top of my head, it's the sort of list I add to when a question comes up in my mind. I will try remember it for those times and think of anything else meanwhile. 

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

I would add Vasher to Roshar

He's under "worldhoppers, Hoid, the usual".

41 minutes ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

and read Era 2 Scadrial newspapers with a magnifying glass as there is a lot hidden in them

Added.

---

Everyone: it's nice that you add stuff to look out for, but is anyone actually doing a reread and taking notes? After all, the purpose of this thread is to also gather knowledge in form of relevan quotes.