Prof idea *spoiler*

enak101

What do you think Prof's weakness is? I just had an idea that children are his weakness, proximity to children maybe? though he might have used his powers near children and i'm not recalling it. Children weren't mentioned much at all in the story but maybe he just can't use his powers on children. If there is a child epic this would be interesting. My logic for this is since he was a teacher and desperately wanted to save those children it could end up being his weakness, of course its just speculation. 

Welcome to the forums!

Quick question: Have you read the Mitosis short story yet? There's some interesting info about weaknesses (or at least speculation of weaknesses) in there.  It's nothing about Prof, exactly, but just some brief speculation that has led to some interesting theories.

I doubt that his weakness is proximity to young children.  It was never stated explicitly, but I think that it was implied that his powers were first manifest while he was at his job as a teacher.  If his weakness was proximity to children he would not have been able to manifest his powers there.

[pure speculation]

His weakness may be that he looses his powers after harming a child.  If this is the case there is a good reason we have not seen Prof loose his powers, and it would be consistent with my personal favorite theory of how Epic weaknesses work.

[\speculation]

Good point MathEpic. I didn't consider that. Yeah thats a possibility.

I have read Mitosis, was a pretty good read and yeah the parts on weaknesses was interesting. 

Yeah that's a possibility name_here though then he probably killed children in that madness so that interferes with his possible weakness, any ideas on what that could be?

Well, Mitosis seems to imply that Epic weaknesses are related to things they hated and/or feared, so as a former kindly teacher Prof's probably wouldn't be children. I don't know what it would be specifically, though, since we don't have much information. It might very well be something related to school administration, curriculum, or pay, because in my experience those are the subjects most likely to send grade-school teachers into angry ranting.

As for how he ended up with his power, under the speculation regarding Mitosis, it's quite possible he wanted to protect the students; he's got force-fields for defending against attacks, giftable healing for treating injuries, and tensors for extracting people from rubble. But then the powers drove him mad.

Edited by name_here

I was under the impression that the Reckoners had an extensive and efficient bureaucracy.

By necessity the Reckoners are compartmentalized, and bureaucratic information would be some of the most dangerous to have on hand in the event of capture.  David on the other hand is not an administrator.  His talents and interests revolve around his ability to take down Epics.  He would not have been included in any discussion of administration.  That sort of thing would have been left to Tia, Prof and the other Reckoners more suited to those tasks.

There are several scenes in the book where the group focused on taking down Steelheart are able to get resources quickly and efficiently.  Additionally, Tia makes references to a lore archive in the Reckoners.  Someone must be managing the information that they collect on the Epics.  I figure that this is the work of a good administrative branch of the Reckoners, i.e. a bureaucracy.

Prof could be weak against some trapping of red tape, but his organization is a little too slick to be 'bureaucracy free'.

• 2 months later...

I don't know about anyone else, and it has been a little while since I read the book, but I feel someone with the nickname Professor basically, would be a highschool teacher. If that is the case, then the main character would count as a child, and thereby his powers would have been voided from being around him, or when he almost lost control and nearly attacked him. Even if Prof wasn't a highschool teacher, what age would you define as "children"? It is a cool theory, just don't see it really working. 

• 4 weeks later...

His weakness would have to be something that he would be reasonably sure that the reckoners would not run into in there missions. Because of how many different places and epics they fight it would have to be something either rare, or a action or state of mind that he was reasonably sure they would ever encounter. This supports the "harming children theory" Though Personally I think it is harming innocents seeing as there is a strict rule in the reckoners about not harming innocents. This seams out of line with there vicious nature in almost all other aspects

• Chaos locked this topic