Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tobar14

Hoid has a sword?

5 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere. I tried searching for it, but I couldn't find any related topics, and also I didn't search too hard because I am busy at work. I am only posting this because it has been burning in my mind since I read it last night.

During my 4th re-read of The Way of Kings, when Hoid is telling Kaladin the story "Wandersail", Kaladin notices that Hoid is carrying a sword with a black sheath...Also, Hoid had been noticeably absent from his duties as the King's Wit, and he mentioned something about searching for someone (i think he said an old acquaintance).

Am I crazy, or is Hoid in possession of a certain sword at this point?

It's not Nightblood, although Brandon did call it a good question when it came up. Which, based on the particular phrasing of your question, doesn't bode well for your mental well-being. But I don't feel qualified to evaluate your sanity, especially over the internet, so I'd recommend seeking out a licensed professional. 

I have Wondered about this for a long time myself. It is not Nightblood, but another sword has gone missing. We were told by a WoB that Hoid did not take the Honorblade of the supposed Taln, but someone did. I wonder if Hoid's is a significant blade, or worn as part of a role to make people think he can hurt them. I think it is a very significant blade, but may not even be from these two worlds. Several prominent people (Nazh, Preservation, and others) are VERY fond of blades. This one probably is beefed up for some specific purpose, but I have no idea what yet.

Isn't that just the King's Wit ceremonial sword? I do believe this was mentioned in one of his first appearances, that the blade is King's Wit's court insignia or somesuch.

It s mentioned that a person thought it to be ceremonial, but he shows up several places where that is not needed; some with Roshar court member like Jasnah, and others that are not. So costume does not fit the whole bill here.