Glyphs for Profiles

Awesomeness Summoned

I sent an email directly to Isaac Stewart asking about vector art, and unfortunately he doesn't have the copyright on the Voidbinding(?) chart, so he can't provide it. This is a sad day. I am tempted to see if I can't track down somebody at Tor/email Brandon directly, but I'm not sure who exactly to talk to and I certainly don't want to waste more of anyone's time just so I can have a nice high-res avatar. Ah, well.

Edited by Moogle

Hey, awesomeness, i just thought I'd let you know that the Swag series two isn't on the first post with the rest.

Yeah I know. That first page is getting pretty busy and the second set is probably my least favorite of the ones I've made (set 3 is a similar idea and better looking) so I took them off the front page. The links are still in the thread though if someone wants one.

Cool! Awesomness, thank you for making them.

I like my picture (so thet people won't call me a 'he'), but may I use one of those as icon for my Tumblr with Sanderson quotes (I need to finally have some non-paper Realmatic reference compiled to make my theories and Tumblr is good for easy posting of quotes)?

PS: I know there is a wiki and probably other references, but I'd like to have my own compilation as well.

PPS: Would you maybe share the source psd, so people can tweak colors and stuff? If you don't feel like it, ok.

Edited by Eri

may I use one of those as icon for my Tumblr with Sanderson quotes?

Yup, use them however you like. A part of me would like them to stay within the 17th shard but it really won't bother me if they start showing up other places too.

PPS: Would you maybe share the source psd, so people can tweak colors and stuff? If you don't feel like it, ok.

while I don't mind sharing the psd's personally, I'm not sure if I technically should for some of the sets. Many of the background layers I used (especially for allomancy and feruchemy sets) were from a texture pack I bought for my photography company. They are proprietary images so I don't think I should be sharing Psd files with the textures in them for anyone to download.

I'll take a look at the various sets later today and see which ones I'm comfortable with sharing publicaly. Was there a particular set you wanted the psd for?

Yup, use them however you like. A part of me would like them to stay within the 17th shard but it really won't bother me if they start showing up other places too.

Thank you!

Maybe just the source images with the tinting and texturing layers overtop removed then? I wouldn't mind figuring out my own textures - I need some photoshop practice anyway.

Agree. (Except GIMP, not Ps ;) )

I'll take a look at the various sets later today and see which ones I'm comfortable with sharing publicaly. Was there a particular set you wanted the psd for?

The gems. Or, if the gems are unavailable, the glyphs.

I scrubbed all the psd files of any textures that aren't freely mine to distribute. I can't guarantee my style of building layers will make sense to anyone. Some of the layers I didn't end up using or aren't the same as when I exported the glyphs originally so might be a little confusing  but here they are:

17th Shard Icon || Allomancy || Feruchemy

I would appreciate it if you would post any new icons you plan on sharing with the community that were made from these psd's within this same thread so they are easy to find.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Edit: GIMP can open psd's while Photoshop does not natively open gimp files (to the best of my knowledge) so for being most widely useable, I just uploaded psd's

Edited by aWESomeness summoned

I can't settle on an avatar! Too many nice choices. I think I'll use those psds and make a nice Kalak glyph without any background stuff and see how it looks. I'm not a huge fan of the current rocky texture. Just nice, elegant, beautiful linework is what I'll try for.

Edited by Moogle

I have created a nice clean mirrored version of Kalak's symbol so I can have a corrupted version of Resolute/Builder that also happens to not be blurry like the Voidbinder one!

Maybe the Honorblade this icon represents happens to be something akin to Darth Maul's double-bladed lightsaber.

I sure hope this Order has a nice second Surge.

Thanks for providing the files, Awesomeness.

post-2328-0-51831300-1391826533_thumb.pn

Edited by Moogle

So, would that make it a resolute destroyer? Or an unstable builder?

Lazy builder. Sky-high ambitions, but lazy! There's a lot of variations you could go for.

I'd like to have some kind of background in the middle of the glyph, but after playing around with things, i can't find anything that looks good. White is simple and good, though.

Edited by Moogle

Lazy builder. Sky-high ambitions, but lazy! There's a lot of variations you could go for.

I'd like to have some kind of background in the middle of the glyph, but after playing around with things, i can't find anything that looks good. White is simple and good, though.

How about the yin yang look? make the right side purple with white symbol

An interesting idea! I made a quick mockup, and it wasn't looking all that great, though. The purple on white is brilliant, but the purple on white doesn't manage the same effect, so it looks weird. What if I just made the glyph white and did a purple background? I'll go try that.

post-2328-0-30942100-1391835675_thumb.pn

Edited by Moogle

Hm, I do like the white on purple but I had actually just meant a straight line done the center with purple on white on one side and white on purple on the other as opposed to the actual yin yang shape

Tried that too! It didn't really work for me. I do like the white on purple and went for it.

post-2328-0-26073000-1391843059_thumb.pn

I'm going to try swapping between the two and see which one I prefer in the end. White is so elegant and simple, but the circle feels empty. Purple has a nice intensity on the white, too...

Edit: Ah, well. Avatars are hard. I have decided after much deliberation that the purple circle just doesn't look professional enough. The simple circle and linework is elegant and is almost perfect. I'd love to be able to find a way to fill it with non-white, but half-n-half just doesn't work for me. I think if there was a way to get rid of the gray box surrounding avatars on this forum that it would look better.

Edit2: Alright, I've spent entirely too much time playing with things. I've decided your original stone background is beautiful and serves a useful purpose in providing some background color inside the circle, and will just use it. I am quite satisfied with the final result. I reworked things so as to not make the middle line super long, so it could still be an Honorblade hilt... just one that's deformed. Thank you again for the base textures and everything, Awesomeness. Have some upvotes.

post-2328-0-32680800-1391856214_thumb.pn

Edited by Moogle

I would appreciate it if you would post any new icons you plan on sharing with the community that were made from these psd's within this same thread so they are easy to find.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Edit: GIMP can open psd's while Photoshop does not natively open gimp files (to the best of my knowledge) so for being most widely useable, I just uploaded psd's

Thank you!!!

I'll surely post if I manage to do something nice.