So... The Heralds. Lots of interesting things going on here, and I just wanted to make a thread compiling all the information in one place, as well as adding some theories here and there. One thing I find interesting is that Brandon seems to take extra care to not confirm the appearances of any of the Heralds. I believe that even the so-called confirmed Heralds, namely Nalan and Shalash, have actually not been explicitly stated to be who we think they are. With all of the discussion centering around Taln description, Brandon may just have pulled a beautiful distraction from the fact that all the other Heralds are in the same boat as our Mad Talenel. Nevertheless, looking for them throughout the book is quite a bit of fun, and so here it is: The Heralds, and Where to Find Them. (Any information that can be added would be great. I'm probably missing quite a bit...)

P.S.: I've included the phrases/curses used in the Heralds' names as I believe they conceal more information than we're giving them credit for. They are obviously each used in specific situations, but they may even be hints towards aspects of the heralds themselves. I believe there's a WoB somewhere that says the Heralds are not necessarily all from Roshar, which can lead to some interesting theories...

Jezrien (Jezerezeh/Prime Kadasix/Kadasix of Kings): 

• Order: Windrunners
  • Physical Description: Regal; Wears blue and white; Young, looking barely into his thirtieth year; Short black beard, neatly trimmed.
  • Quotes: 
  1. "Praise Yaezir, Herald of Kings. May he lead in wisdom. If he ever stops drooling." (This is the line that implies that the beggar at the feast might actually be Jezrien. More on that below. It also draws a comparison to the "Kadasix of Kings" title. 'Kadasix' seems to be the word for 'Herald' in Azir, as proven in a statement by Nalan below.)
  • Phrases: There don't seem to be any curses in Jezrien's name. The Azir have the "Praise Yaezir," but that's pretty much it. I wonder if that means something...
  • Theories: There's been a theory that Kaladin's predecessor as head of the Cobalt Guard, Niter, is actually Jezrien in disguise. This is mainly due to the fact that Niter wears the Kholin blue and white, and is described as "tan-faced," with a "black beard, cut short," an extremely similar description to Jezrien's in the prelude. 

Nale (Nalan/Nin): (Herald of Justice)

• Order: Skybreakers
  • Physical DescriptionDark skin; has a pale crescent birthmark on his cheek; wears a black uniform with a double row of silver buttons down the coat's front, a stiff silver collar poking up from a shirt underneath; thick gloves with collars extending halfway back around his forearms; has a dead, lifeless stare.
  • Quotes: 
  1. "She glanced down the hallway. She could swear he was glowing faintly, and he was certainly running too quickly. Darkness was awesome too." (If he really is using Stormlight, he may be the Herald who we know took back his Blade. Then again, it may just be one of Nalan's little gadgets...)
  2. “The Kadasixes have spoken,” said one of the scions. “The Heralds?” Darkness said. “They have done no such thing. You are mistaken.” (This seems to me to be further proof that 'Darkness' is a Herald (as if it was needed).)
  • Phrases: Nalan's Hand (Used when acknowledging a decision regarding justice)
  • Theories: He is one of the most 'confirmed' Heralds, and is believed to be Darkness, one of the Azish ambassadors at Gavilar's feast, and the one who gives Nightblood to Szeth in the WoR Epilogue.

Chana (Chanaranach/Chanarach):

• Order: Dustbringers (Releasers)
  • Physical Description: Unknown
  • Quotes: "The fastest man e’er known to live. The surest feet e’er known to roam. In time long past, in times I’ve known, he raced the Herald Chan-a-rach." (The fact that Fleet's speed is validated through its comparison to Chana makes sense, seeing as she also has access to the surge of Abrasion which, as Lift has demonstrated, can definitely make one quite fast.)
  • Phrases: Chana knows, Chana help (Used when referring to something that concerns family, more specifically motherhood.)
  • Theories:

Vedel (Vedeledev): (Herald of Healing)

• Order: Edgedancers
  • Quotes:
  • Phrases: Vedeledev's Golden Keys (This is an interesting one. I haven't come up with anything for this one just yet, but there's obviously a story behind this.)
  • Theories:

Pali (Pailiah/Paliah):

• Order: Truthwatchers
  • Physical Description: Unknown (Unless the Palanaeum theory is true, in which case we know she's old...)
  • Quotes:
  • Phrases: Pailiah knew
  • Theories: It is confirmed that the Palanaeum was named after her, but there is a theory that the "berobed female ardent" Shallan sees is actually the Herald Pailiah in disguise. (More below.)

Ash (Shalash): (Herald of Beauty)

• Order: Lightweavers
  • Physical Description: Extremely beautiful; Dark skin; Long, beautiful black hair; "Eyes like a Shin, but tall and lean, like an Alethi"; Hair worn free, reaches down to waist; wears sleek and tight trousers; light violet eyes; wears a thin-bladed sword
  • Quotes: 
  1. "The mistress has good ears. Strangely good ears." - (WoK pg. 707)
  2. "Perhaps I should get myself a Shardblade." (Indicates that not only is the "thin-bladed sword" not a Shardblade, but she likely doesn't have one at all.)
  3. "A woman sits and scratches out her own eyes. Daughter of kings and winds, the vandal." (This fits with her being Jezrien's daughter (confirmed here), and is also the most solid evidence that the Mistress is Shalash.)
  4. “I’m worried about Ash...She's getting worse.” (WoR Prologue - A Herald talking about Shalash's condition to Nalan. Likely referring to her recent destructive streak.)
  • Phrases: Ash's Eyes (Used when referring to something that concerns beauty)
  • Theories:
  1. She's destroying pieces of art that she appears in. (This is actually already confirmed.) The reasons for this could be an entire thread all on its own, although I particularly like Argent's theory that the Heralds are rebounding off of their divine attributes. Creativity and Honesty seem to be the exact opposite of breaking in to places and vandalizing art. there is also the quote in the WoR Prologue that mentions how "Ash is getting worse."
  2. Cases of destroyed art include a missing Shalash statue in the WoK Prologue (pg. 23), the Baxil Interlude (WoK pg. 707), and Lift noticing a scratched out face in a portrait of the Heralds (WoR pg. 690).

Battar (Battah):

• Order: Elsecallers
  • Physical Description: Unknown
  • Quotes:
  • Phrases: Battah send that girl some sense...
  • Theories:

Kalak (Kelek):

• Order: Willshapers
  • Quotes:
  • Phrases: Kelek's Breath, Kelek's Tongue, Kelek knows (It's been postulated for a while that Kelek's Breath may be a hint towards his having come from Nalthis. Something I just thought of, however, is that Kelek's Tongue could also refer to the removal of the God Kings' tongues... Could it be that Kelek has no tongue?)
  • Theories: 
  1. There is a wounded bridgeman whom Kaladin helps that may turn out to be the Herald Kalak. He reacts slightly differently than the other bridgemen Kaladin cares for, but this is very much just a theory. (More below.)
  2. Alternatively, some have theorized that he is the man Nalan is talking to in the WoR Prologue. This seems to have a little more basis to support it.

Taln (Talenelat/Talenel): (Herald of War/Stonesinew)

• Order: Stonewards
  • Physical Description: Dark brown skin and eyes; back beard
  • Quotes: 
  1. “The burdens of nine become mine. Why must I carry the madness of them all? Oh, Almighty, release me.” —Dated Palaheses, 1173, unknown seconds pre-death. Subject: a wealthy lighteyes. Sample collected secondhand.”
  2. "...The Ancient of Stones must finally begin to crack It is a wonder that upon his will rested the prosperity and peace of a world for over four millennia."
  • Phrases: Talat's Hand, Constellation named Taln's Scar
  • Theories: I have a whole other thread on this.

Ishar (Ishi): (Herald of Luck)

• Order: Bondsmiths
  • Physical Description: Not much. He might have a long beard though, and is probably the scholar-figure of the Heralds.
  • Quotes:
  • Phrases: Ishar's Soul
  • Theories: Is he the beggar mentioned below? The beard does seem to match Ishar's appearance in the Heraldic Icons that appear above certain chapters...

??? (Theorized Heralds): One thing to keep in mind is that Brandon has obviously seeded in certain red herrings with 'Heraldic' descriptions. Regardless, here are some of the more suspicious ones of the bunch:

• WoK pg. 23 - "A man with a long grey and black beard slumped in the doorway, smiling foolishly--though whether from wine or a weak mind, Szeth could not tell. "Have you seen me?" the man asked with slurred speech. He laughed, then began to speak in gibberish, reaching for the wineskin." (There are arguments for this being either Jezrien or Ishar. He is almost certainly a Herald, however, due to his comment of "Have you seen me?" when there are a line of Herald statues across the hall.)
  • WoK pg. 40 - "The soldier on the other side of Cenn nodded. He was a lanky, red-haired Veden, with a darker tan skin than the Alethi. Why was he fighting in an Alethi army?"
  • WoK pg. 502 - "It turned out to be just an old, berobed female ardent, shuffling with a lantern and followed by a parshman servant... Lit that way--with her figure hidden but the light streaming between the shelves--it looked as if one of the Heralds themselves were walking through the stacks." (Theorized to be Pali. The reason for this seems to be because we have a WoB saying that the Palanaeum, where Shallan is at the time, was named after her.)
  • WoK pg. 745-746 - "He had dark brown skin and brown eyes, his thick black hair pulled back into a long, braided tail... He didn't have even a hint of an accent. Kaladin had expected him to be Azish because of the dark skin." (This is tentatively theorized to be Kalak, more through process of elimination than anything else.)
Edited by Tariniel

I'd suggest a slight modification of your list to make the ones that we're rather sure, those with the most evidence, more prominent. Like Nalan and Ash. Maybe a separate font or something.

Otherwise...yeah a pretty good gathering of the current knowledge. 

The Kelek thing I actually came up with as i wrote this post. It's a little farfetched, but can we imply from Kelek's Breath and Kelek's Tongue that he may be an ex-God King (and thereby have no tongue)?

I think you have to add the Madman in the Collector's Interlude...The "god of the vegetable city" someone (like me) thinks he is Ishi and the beggard in the Szeth's prologue as Jezrien.

On another point, there are much clue about Kalab be the man with Nale in the night of Gavilar's murder

1 hour ago, Tariniel said:

The Kelek thing I actually came up with as i wrote this post. It's a little farfetched, but can we imply from Kelek's Breath and Kelek's Tongue that he may be an ex-God King (and thereby have no tongue)?

Nope. (Warbreaker spoilers)

Spoiler

The God Kings don't go very far back. I think about 550 years before WoK, tops. Probably less. And awakening itself might not be much older than that.

I've heard the theory that Kalak is the man Nalan's talking with at Gavilar's party in Jasnah's version of the prologue; the one that worries about Ash getting worse and acts like a hipochondriac. I'd also add Taln's actions and descriptions from WoR; I understand you suspect him not be "actually" Taln, so to put it, but I'd say if this is to be a repository of all knowledge Heraldic, a mention of Taln's massive frame and astounding reflex should probably be added.

Also, you keep on using "Starlight" instead of stormlight ;)

I have a old note that I made back before WoR came out. Vedel's page on the Coppermind used to have "Herald of Healing" on it. Given her status as Patron of Edgedancers, I imagine it should still hold. (Wading through edit history of Vedel and Heralds isnt fun.. :|

Jezrien is also called "Kadasix of Kings" in Azir. Aziri word for Herald perhaps? (Coppermind sources this to Lift's interlude)

Remember back to Hoid's story to Kaladin while in prison about The Man Who Raced The Winds? I believe that he mentioned the man raced the Herald Chana and won. Given that her Honorblade should provide Abrasion, perhaps Slicking was a thing she practiced using. At the very least, she had some reputation as a sprinter. (The chapter is called "Fleet" actually)

Also, here's an old post of mine: the contents of Theoryland on the origin of the Heralds

Dec, 2010:  Who each of the Heralds are and what their natures were is important.

March 11, 2014:  Were the heralds born on Roshar?   RAFO

Sept 4th, 2014:  Is he Rosharan? Taln is Rosharan. // Native to Roshar. That I have to RAFO. // The Heralds are from the same place that Taln is from.

Feb 17, 2016:  The Heralds do not come from Nalthis, but that is an excellent question.

Apr 8th, 2016:  It is normal for a cognitive shadow to get stuck to places, because they exist through investiture it is normal for them to get tied to an area. This happened with Odium and the two shards on Roshar, Preservation to Ruin, and the Heralds (To Roshar? Braize?).

Relevant information on Theoryland containing the "Heralds" tag

2 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Remember back to Hoid's story to Kaladin while in prison about The Man Who Raced The Winds?

This is actually one of my favorite parts of the whole book... Not sure how I missed this lol

Anyway, great information @The One Who Connects! The post has been updated. Thanks for the help!

6 minutes ago, marianmi said:

Heralds being from Braize would make more sense than Nalthis/other planet, and would fit the rosharan mythology.

Just wanted to point something out: Do we know for sure they are all from the same place? Seems to be the obvious assumption, but...

Also, seeing as they live on Roshar and spend 'death' on Braize, couldn't we just assume Ashyn is where they were born? 

Edited by Tariniel

15 minutes ago, marianmi said:

Heralds being from Braize would make more sense than Nalthis/other planet, and would fit the rosharan mythology.

Was this asked/discussed already?

I do not think that has actually been discussed anywhere. Following the Rosharan mythos leads to some fun things though:

• Heaven = Tranquilline Halls, Damnation = Braize (in world quote)
  • Voidbringers invaded The Halls, kicked man to Roshar
  • Voidbringers followed to push man into Damnation
  • Desolations happened, Voidbringers pushed back to the Halls
  • Heralds followed to take back the Halls (technicality starts here)
  • Technicality: Heralds actually go to Braize

Roshar's mythos combined with a few actual facts culminates with the realization that Heaven = Hell

If the Heralds are supposed to be from the Halls in the mythos, then perhaps they are from Braize originally. From the Halls, go back to the Halls after Desolations. (They go back to Braize after Desolations, perhaps...

8 minutes ago, Tariniel said:

Just wanted to point something out: Do we know for sure they are all from the same place? Seems to be the obvious assumption, but...

See my earlier post: Sept 4th, 2014. 

"The Heralds are from the same place that Taln is from."

Edited by The One Who Connects

6 minutes ago, Tariniel said:

Brandon has pretty much RAFO'd questions like that. I think even "from Braize" was asked at some point.

We do know Brandon wants the SA to stand on it's own so not slip too much Cosmere stuff in. Howewever, if it's not particularly relevant to the Herald, then some could be world-hoppers from outside the Greater Rosharn system.  Probably more likely ones that will not have a flashback book.  Also, there are stronger ties to Warbreaker, so Brandon may allow more Warbreaker stuff to slip in. Though I think he will limit it to stuff that does not make the casual reader feel like they have additional books to read outside of SA.

That quote from @The One Who Connects practically confirms they're all from the same place. 

8 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Heralds followed to take back the Halls

Do we know this for sure? I thought that was just the people's interpretation of the Heralds' torture... Also, keep in mind that Vorin teachings have twisted a lot of the facts, so nothing can be taken at face value here.

I do still feel like Ashyn plays into this all somehow. It is the third planet in this system, after all.

Edited by Tariniel

5 minutes ago, Tariniel said:

Do we know this for sure? I thought that was just the people's interpretation of the Heralds' torture... Also, keep in mind that Vorin teachings have twisted a lot of the facts, so nothing can be taken at face value here.

I do still feel like Ashyn plays into this all somehow. It is the third planet in this system, after all.

Its not a confirmation, I was literally stating the Vorin Religion (Brandon often puts hints of truth in local religions sometimes) The fact that it gets twisted was part of how Heaven = Hell due to shattered facts.

I was only pointing it out because both places being Braize could fit with Marianmi's question. (Leap of literary faith)

I don't see Ashyn fitting in much, mostly because it is/was supposed to have its own story at some point. The Silence Divine I think?

1 minute ago, The One Who Connects said:

I don't see Ashyn fitting in much, mostly because it is/was supposed to have its own story at some point. The Silence Divine I think?

Yes. It is actually described in that story to be a destroyed world. Something incinerated the earth, and so they live in this floating, upside down city. Seems like something happened there.

However, if you don't think that something has to do with Roshar, why did Brandon include it in the Rosharan planetary system?

4 minutes ago, Tariniel said:

Yes. It is actually described in that story to be a destroyed world. Something incinerated the earth, and so they live in this floating, upside down city. Seems like something happened there.

However, if you don't think that something has to do with Roshar, why did Brandon include it in the Rosharan planetary system?

Oh. I am remembering the wrong 15 word synopsis but the right title. Well done me :)

Brandon may have included it in Roshar so that he keeps with only 10 Major shardworlds, by having this one be nearby. He may have come up with the idea for the story around the time he was rewriting WoK Prime.

Honestly, I just figured separate book meant separate series, not directly connected to the Stormlight Archives.

4 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Honestly, I just figured separate book meant separate series, not directly connected to the Stormlight Archives.

It's not a separate book, it's a short story. I get what you mean, however.

On 10/13/2016 at 7:17 PM, Tariniel said:

Jezrien (Jezerezeh/Prime Kadasix/Kadasix of Kings): 

• Order: Windrunners
  • Physical Description: Regal; Wears blue and white; Young, looking barely into his thirtieth year; Short black beard, neatly trimmed.
  • Quotes: 
  1. "Praise Yaezir, Herald of Kings. May he lead in wisdom. If he ever stops drooling." (This is the line that implies that the beggar at the feast might actually be Jezrien. More on that below. It also draws a comparison to the "Kadasix of Kings" title. Could 'Kadasix' be the word for 'Herald' in Azir?)
  • Phrases: There don't seem to be any curses in Jezrien's name. The Azir have the "Praise Yaezir," but that's pretty much it. I wonder if that means something...
  • Theories: There's been a theory that Kaladin's predecessor as head of the Cobalt Guard, Niter, is actually Jezrien in disguise. This is mainly due to the fact that Niter wears the Kholin blue and white, and is described as "tan-faced," with a "black beard, cut short," an extremely similar description to Jezrien's in the prelude. 

Isn't Nale referring to Gawx when he says "may he lead in wisdom?"

I doubt that Jezrien wouldn't be dark skinned when his daughter is and when he held up as a god by a dark skinned people. I don't think he would look Alethi.

6 hours ago, Nymeros said:

Isn't Nale referring to Gawx when he says "may he lead in wisdom?"

Then what would the "if he ever stops drooling" refer to? Also, what do you mean by Jezrien being dark skinned? I wasn't aware there was a theory that he wasn't...

6 minutes ago, Tariniel said:

Then what would the "if he ever stops drooling" refer to? Also, what do you mean by Jezrien being dark skinned? I wasn't aware there was a theory that he wasn't...

The "if he ever stops drooling" could just refer to Gawx being very young... I dunno.

You gave an example that someone "tan-faced", Niter, might be Jezrien, and I don't think we've seen anyone with Makabaki complexion being described as such.

@Tariniel Kadasix is definitely the Azir word for Herald. Here's the relevant quote from Lift's Interlude:

“The Kadasixes have spoken,” said one of the scions.
“The Heralds?” Darkness said. “They have done no such thing. You are mistaken.”

Excerpt From: Sanderson, Brandon. “Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The).” iBooks Pg. 1399