Smack dab in the center of the room sat Ridge. Eschewing seats and the corners most of his skulking brethren favored, he sat cross-legged on top of the table, absentmindedly sipping at his ale as he listened to his surroundings. He liked being on top of things. The splendor of his appearance required a stage to display it. His fellow tablemates were long used to this, of course, carefully eating around him. He'd been frequenting this inn for as long as he could count- longer actually, he didn't quite get the concept of numbers- as one of the first members of Modeft's crew. When anyone would care to listen, he'd tell them of how he and Modeft had grown up together as kids, with Modeft masterminding heist after heist while Ridge obediently carried them out.

The inn was active tonight, more active than it had been for months. Shouts echoed from one corner, voices raised in anger as some petty former lordlings quarreled over their last vestiges of honor. One's voice was high, haughty, despite the slurring of his words, the other strangely.... slippery, he decided, the voice a fish would have if it could speak. Nearby was a strong, clear voice, spoken with the innate arrogance of true nobility, her minder's whining tones close behind. Beside was the poetic but unintelligible slang of the eastern streets. This voice was dangerous, pure steel sheathed in a polite facade. Elsewhere, he heard the frantic scribbling of pen on paper- ah, that crazy Aether and his lists.

Ridge wondered what this night held in store. Modeft was a genius, a prince of crime. Any thing could be stolen if he put his mind to it, as he loved to show. To say this heist would be greater than any other, to gather such a large and eccentric crew: this would be special.

Edited by PorridgeBrick

Aonar stood by the door outside the inn, watching the crew members flow into the building. It was a good thing the obligators no longer kept such a tight watch over the city streets; if they did, Modeft's newly gathered crew would have been discovered hours ago. Aonar wasn't sure why Modeft needed so many people, in his experience more people just meant more conflict among members and a higher chance that they would be betrayed.

From the looks of things, the fighting had started already; two of the crewmembers had bloody hands and faces and they hadn't even been in the same room for more than a few hours. 

Whatever reason Modeft had to gather this many people together, this mysterious "job" was going to be big, bigger even than Modeft had originally described it. Knowing Modeft and his flair for the dramatic though, he was going to wait until absolutely everyone was gathered, and then probably wait just a little bit more before he let slip what exactly the job entailed.

Wow, there's a lot of people this round. Almost triple what the first game had. With the number of people and the the gameplay changes, this is going to get real interesting real fast after the first night...

Edited by AonarFaileas

Hook, Line, and Death

Modeft watched through a peephole in the wall at the rambunctious crew he had assembled. Even now, after months of success, it was difficult for him to imagine how he had risen this high. His crew had grown from only a handful of members to the point that they now controlled the entire northern half of the Harrows. It was a good thing; they would need all that space to house everyone.

Aspren stood at his left. The man had been with him since the beginning and he trusted him, but with the job ahead of them, even the most trustworthy among them would be tested.

With a sigh, he dropped the cover on the peephole. It looked like everyone had arrived. This was just the informal beginning. A chance for everyone to meet and test each other. It would allow him to know who would work well with whom and better divide them up into individual tasks.

“You think they’ll go for it, Asp? Hitting the Canton of Inquisition itself would be a big enough job, but to try to topple the entire Steel Ministry? Even with a crew as large as this, we’re going to be stretched thin.”

Aspren just shrugged, as he typically did. He was there to see to the supplies; he didn’t much care about something unless it could be quantified.

Modeft went back through the plan in his head. The first part was hitting the Canton building within the city and rid the city of Inquisitors. If his sources were correct, they would find a large supply cache there and they’d have a stable base of operation with the city clean. From there, they should be able to find the location of the Conventical of Seran. It seemed like a ridiculous undertaking, but the Survivor had shown them that anything was possible.

The murmurs in the crowd were growing restless. The mystery of the job had drawn some to him, but he had picked them well. He’d even managed to convince Lord Ollivier to do more than just sit on the sideline. Of course, he still hadn’t shown, but he’d sent a proxy in his place, which was as good of a sign of support as anything.

Finally, Modeft entered the bar through the back room. Immediately all conversation stopped, as almost 30 pairs of eyes swung towards him. Modeft wasn’t much of a talker. He tended to let his actions speak for him and so far, he’d proven to be as mad as some people claimed, but also a man with a reputation for accomplishing the impossible.

“I want to thank you all for coming out. I promise you all that you’re safe here. Weiry has posted lookouts throughout my territory so no one will come or go without being noticed. You’re all welcome in my home and while I know you’re all anxious about this mystery job I have for you, there will be plenty of time for that tomorrow. Tonight, we drink, we celebrate and we enjoy ourselves, for it might be the last time in a while before we get another chance. As such, all drinks are on me tonight!”

A chorus of cheers sounded at that, except from Roban and Dyring. They knew they would be compensated, but free drinks meant a long night for them.

Indeed, it was almost morning before everyone else stumbled out to find shelter. Modeft had opened his doors to them and that meant that any inn, home, or hovel was open to them within his territory. Although, if they tried to leave it, they would be rebuffed.

Modeft was the last to leave. He had already told Dyring and Roban to get some sleep and they had complied. As he sat at a table, looking at his list of plans and a crudely drawn map, a shadow fell over him.

“I made too much noise when I started raising this crew, didn’t I?” Modeft said without turning around. “Well, you may get me, but you’ll never leave here alive. I have orders in place for just such an occasion. Did you really think I’d just let my plans fail with my death?”

The specter didn’t answer. In fact, it didn’t say a word, even after Modeft started screaming in pain later.

Windrunner was the first to stumble into the bar later that day. As the crew’s favorite fall guy, it paid to be cautious. That’s when he saw the body. Modeft was bound at the feet and wrists and he was hung… with a hook through his mouth.

“Oh, man.” Windrunner moaned. “I am sooo dead!”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We’ll be starting with Day 1 this time. I wanted to give everyone a fair shot to argue for themselves. PMs with roles have been sent out, so check your inbox! If you did not get one, let me know!

Day 1 will end 48 hours from now. If you have a role that allows day actions, PM me with your action before then, even if it that you do not wish to use your power. Good luck everyone!

A player list can be found in the original post for Game 2. I will update it as the game continues.

Windrunner never gave me a character concept, thus I gave him one, a fall guy for the crew. Let this be a lesson to the rest of you for future games! :P

Edited by Metacognition

I guess I'll be the first second.

Kukri walked into the base and saw the crowd gathering around the hooked crewleader. Oh joy.

Some of the crowd turned, eyeing his knives suspiciously. "First of all, they were an inheritance from my cousin down south. I don't even like knives that much." This last was a lie. "Second, their knives, not hooks."

---

Okay, so why I shouldn't be randomly killed: Though I fell for barbug's evil manipulations last time, I think it fair to say that I'm a fairly clear thinker and would be useful in discussions going forward.

Edited by Kurkistan

Shimble Leice backed away as the crowd surrounded Modeft's body. Windrunner was skulking near the back, hiding after yanking Shimble's arm and pointing at the body.

This isn't what it looks like, good sirs! That fellow over there told me it was here, so I came to check!

Gamon stood in the small crowd that had gathered outside where Modeft's body had been found earlier.

That didn't take long, he mused bitterly. And to think, they were all just in there drinking wildly last night, he had even considered dancing with some of the ladies present. They weren't as good looking as him, but they would do in the meantime.

Maybe he should have hired a few bodyguards to protect him? Gamon repressed a shiver, trying not to look at the hideous corpse. At least these thieves and criminals had enough decency to cut the body down.

Gamon once again reached into his pocket, fingering the folded-up note he put in there earlier. He had awoken to find this slid underneath his door sometime throughout the night. When first reading, he didn't believe it and rushed over to get clarification from Modeft about the instructions. Apparently, almost everybody else did, too.

Either way, there was no backing out now. They were in too deep, and there was an Inquisitor hiding amongst them. There was only one way to go forward: to do the jobs Modeft had assigned them and to keep going about it, all while trying to find the real enemy.

Basically.

Although I wouldn't pay too much attention to the existing roleplaying from the other thread yet, as that was all character building and we didn't even have roles yet. So nothing indicative of who to suspect yet.

Now there are to ways we can proceed: vote somebody and take a random kill. This is obviously not a good chance at all, a 1 in 29 shot in the dark, if you will Now my last character, Gambles, would probably take those chances, but the only thing Gamon relies on are his good looks, not luck.

Or we can wait. Give everybody a chance to talk and rationalize, get a basis of our characters roleplaying with our roles. See what people are saying or what they're trying to do.
I think it would definitely be in our best interest to not vote right now, as that was a mistake made in the last game and we killed off some really strong villagers really early on, and I know most of us don't want to mess that up again.

BUT we do have 48 hours (unless most people again decide 36 is better, but with about twice as many players, that shouldn't be a problem)

edit: I think it's only a majority is needed, even if it's only one vote. And @Kurk, I think its either 'no vote' or 'vote for x'
I think there in lies the danger in absolutely nobody voting, allowing it to be easily rigged in the Inquisitor's favor. That's why we must decide, one way or another, and face the consequences of our actions.

Edited by Gamma Fiend

Almost forgot guys: There is indeed a Tineye among the crew, so PMs are allowed, but for the purposes of making sure everything is good to go, I want to be included in any PMs between players. I will remain silent, but the behind the scenes stuff is some of the most fun! :) 

I'll also tell you this though, there are a few duplicate roles. 

Edit: It takes a minimum of two votes to kill someone, so be very careful how you proceed. If there is a tie, no one dies either. The problem for you guys is, if you just sit, you don't get anything to go off of later, but if you kill, you might kill someone important. Decisions, decisions.

Oh, and yes, a vote of No Kill is acceptable. 

Edited by Metacognition

If we assume, sirs and madames, that more than 9 Allomancers are among us and that there is only a single Inquisitor, than any kill has about a 1/3 chance of hitting a Misting and each Misting kill has a 1/2 chance of creating a spiked Misting, not to mention a 100% chance of creating a converted player, if the Inquisitor chooses to exercise his hemalurgy.

Edited by Swimmingly

No. No! This can't be happening!

Aspren was distraught. This was the last thing that he'd expected to find when he woke up that morning. He, just couldn't believe it. Modeft, dead? It wasn't possible.

He always had a plan. He must've had a plan, Asprens's thoughts whirled in his head. He must've. All the times I told him that it wasn't safe to do it out in the open. He must've listened!

How can we possibly go through with the... 

No. Don't think about that now. You need to take charge.

Composing himself, Aspren pushed his way through the crowd. His anger distorting his face even as tears streamed down it. With his hand shaking, he reached out removing the hook from Modeft's head and cut the bindings. 

He would find whoever did this.

Seran wished he had accepted those free drinks the night before. He stood of to the side of the crowd, his face pale, his eyes fixed on the corpse. 

After all this time, he thought, have they finally caught up with me? No, this had just been the result of an overly ambitious crewleader. But still if Inquisitors were involved...His eyes trailed to the hooked rammed through Modeft's skull. He'd strung up his share of allomantic heretics, but somehow this sight managed to fill him with nausea.

He moved his gaze to the group of murmuring crew members. No accusations had arisen yet, but they would soon. Lord Ruler! He thought. This lot will probably do the Inqusitor's work for it!

As for accusations: eh, I got nothing. Someone start acting suspicious already!

Edit: I might be able to get behind the idea of not killing anyone yet, just remember that it could potentially be the Inqusitor who's suggesting it (not an accusation).

Edited by Serendipity

Yay! It has begun!

Fnord stood amidst the crowd, staring at their crewleaders body. Should he run? No one would remember he was ever here. No, it was too soon for that. Surely with so many in the crew they would be able to root out this inquisitor.

The chances of hitting the inquisitor with an essentially completely random killing are ridiculously small. Unfortunately the chances that the inquisitor has a vote modifying power are quite high, so we may not be able to avoid a death :/ With that being the case it is perhaps better that we choose who to target than letting the inquisitor choose whomever they will. At least that way we have a chance, however small, of the inquisitor being the one to die.

I seem to be arguing against the majority here who think we should try to avoid killing anyone, uh oh. :/