He'll stay awake a thousand days

if that is what it takes

But Tinker Tineye still will be

laughing till his belly aches

Tinker Tineye with touch so light,

His words you cannot hide,

But if anyone ever catches sight,

He may be the one that's died.

This one, if you didn’t catch it, is supposed to be a few verses from the Tinker Tanner song in Patrick Rothfuss’s “Kingkiller Chronicles” trilogy (If you haven’t read them, they’re amazing. You should go check them out, but be prepared to wait a while in between book releases, especially if you are used to Brandon’s writing pace). Anyway, in the book Tinker Tanner is supposed to be a “song with a thousand verses,” It’s really catchy and simple enough that you can write verses for it on the spot while being drunk. If you missed it, I included a link to the fan-written version of the song that I modeled my verses after.

There’s not much else to this one, It was time consuming enough to write three verses to a song without also trying to hide hidden messages in it. Obviously, I am Tinker Tineye, but I didn’t really leave any clues as to my identity.

Everything else you might have seen in there is misdirection, fluff, and red herrings. ;)

Tin Message #7

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

S\omber\_silence,_The_simple_sound_of_/viole/n

ce\;_And\_truth_be___––––__told,_It’s_my_d/es

ire\_So_l\et_it_b/e_More_tha\n_a_mem/ory;_/As_

it_\fills\_your/_soul,_Feed_t\he_fi/re_Te/mpt

ing_\flame\__–/––____––––____––\–__/s,_Ch/aoti

c_ga|mes_–|,_|Ma/de_\ins/ane\,_|An|–_d_l|eft_

in_pa|i/n_A|n|d/_isn’t\/_it_so\_|b|eau\t|iful_

And_i|/sn’t|_||it_____/\____so_||r|ight\|,_And

_isn’|t_it_|p/\ur/e_JU||STIC\E_/\t|o_wat|ch_th

em_bu|rn_at||_nXight|_|So_lXig||ht_yo|ur_ma

tches|_So_g|r\/ab\____\/y___/ou\/r|_torc|hes,_

Man_y|\our_|p||itchfor++ks,_We’||r|e_go/|nna_p

lay;_|A\_ni|g|h\t_of_f/\lames,/_|A|_ni/g|ht_of

_gam|es,–_|__|A_\­__/night\__/_o|f_|_–_pa|in,_

It’s/_all_/to–––_gai––––––n_Un–––ti\l_bre\ak_o

f_d/ay_An/d_wh\en_the_sun_beat/s_do\wn_No\thi

ng_/is_le/ft_to_b\__e_foun__/d_Not_a\_sing\le_

si/lent_/signal_No_ev––––idence_aroun\d_Not\hi

n/g_lik/e_sweet_revenge_-Mikeyla_S_Ben\zinge\r

Ugh. This one took a lot of work. But I had to include an Aon. It’s Aon Kii, which means justice. I asked Meta to put it on Dyring’s gravemarker, but either he didn’t see my request or he ignored it. Oh well. Either way, it was supposed to be dedicated to him. I was sad that the spiked players killed him, I was enjoying our game.

As Barty pointed out, this one also has a hidden message written in white letters if you highlight it. I can’t take credit for the poem, as it was written by someone named Mikeyla S. Benzinger, and titled “Vengeance” I think, or something similar. As such, there isn’t any hidden meanings in it (it took WAY too much work as it was already), but I did think it was cool that the word “Justice” fell almost dead center inside the Aon Kii (which again, means justice).

Everything else you might have seen in there is misdirection, fluff, and red herrings. ;)

Tin Message #8

6y3bsh.png

My grand finale. With Peng dead I knew the next logical step was for the spiked players to take me out as the tineye, so I once again predicted my death. This time, they came through for me. ;)

This is of course written in the Steel Alphabet. I can’t take much credit for it though as Lord Claincy Ffnord did all the hard work in creating the font, as well as the rules for transliterating English into the Steel Alphabet. Props to Aonar for translating it, too. He did a great job, and despite being spiked, he didn't change anything. Anyway, here is the translation:

I have failed you.

I have planned these messages, knowing a calamity is coming, hoping that I might find some secret that might be of us should I fall to the inquisitor’s scheming. Yet, I have nothing. I do not know who the spiked crewmembers are. The only thing I can think of is to continue to vote for the most likely suspects until our crew has been purged.

However, if you are reading this, I have failed. That means I am probably dead. As I write this, I find that prospect to be less tragic than I might have previously assumed. I would rather not deal with the traitors. They have been my constant companions, the voices that whisper lies to me always, telling me to destroy innocent friends.

I fear they have corrupted our crew.

I do know that these words must be written in steel to be preserved. I have written them in a steel sheet, and ordered them scribed into a plate, knowing that in so doing I reveal my weakness to the crew. Some have whispered to me that I am a fool to expose myself by writing this and letting others see it.

That is primarily why I decided to go through with the creation of these messages. Doing so seemed to make the inquisitor angry. That is reason enough, I think. It is good that some few of my companions know my weakness, if only for the good of the crew, should I somehow fall.

I have tried to be a good Tineye. At first, I was too young, too foolish. I made mistakes. Yet I have tried so hard. I nearly destroyed the crew with my arrogance, and yet I fear I have nearly destroyed it again through my accusations. I can do better. I will do better. I will create a crew of order.

Regardless, this is not the place for justification, for I am- after a form- Crewleader. Yet, I know there are those more powerful than I. If I am destroyed, they will be the cause of that destruction.

My advice to give is this:

Trust Aspren’s dying words. His 4 main suspicions are as good as mine.

Heed the words of the other Tineye, if he still lives. He can be trusted, and he knows who else can also be trusted.

Act swiftly. Learn who to trust, and who to be suspicious of.

Perhaps these words will help you survive a little longer. Perhaps not. I am dead. I doubt that I should care.

Still, I do. For you are my people. I am Herwynbe. That is what it must mean: Hero Wannabe, a hero who desires this crew to live through the ages, as I do.

Know that the spiked members’ powers are not complete. They can be killed. Fortunately, Modeft and I have hidden the antidote well.

The bit in Meta’s writeup about it being found in a secret cellar beneath the bar, engraved on a steel plate, was done at my request. If you didn’t catch it, the message is basically a copy of the message that Vin reads in the last storage cavern, with a few changes to personalize it to me and to our game. It was surprising at how easily it was adapted to our situation.

And, of course, Everything else you might have seen in there is misdirection, fluff, and red herrings. ;)

​I hereby declare Herowannabe as official Tineye, if only for this section of the forum. Even I missed some of those clues and I had more information than anyone in the game! Your third message for Digits was just brilliant. 

Hero, you have been invested by the Shard of Metacognition (considering the situation, the Shard name is even more appropriate)! 

This investment doesn't come with any powers (although I will let you play your characters as a Tineye in my games even if that is not their role within the game. I can't and won't speak for other GMs), but you will hold the title until/unless someone is capable of surpassing you. And, of course, you're allowed to label yourself as such. ;)

All those in favor?