Quadrophenia

Crazy Roleplaying Stories!

74 posts in this topic

I wasn't sure if it would be more appropriate to pitch this topic here or on the Roleplaying forum, but I noticed the forum's mainly for posting for anyone interested playing this or that game. Hence, I've decided to post this here~

Where I would like to share with you, the good people of the 17th Shard fansite, some of my crazy freaking roleplaying stories as a seasoned Game Master and, occasionally, player. Lo, from games as far as Dungeons & Dragons to Pathfinder, from Call of Cthulhu to homebrews of Avatar: The Last Airbender... and yes, why, even a few stories set in the world of Mistborn (thank you, official Mistborn RPG!). 

And more importantly, if there's anyone here with their own cool stories about their roleplaying experiences, please! Feel free to share! 

"What qualifies as a cool or crazy story?"

All up to you. 

Opening the floor... now!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, I've shared this story before... but what the hey.

My first ever roleplaying experience; a mortals game of Exalted. If you know Exalted, you should already realize this means our life expectancy could be counted in hours. I did not know that until after the game; it was just a one-off, intended to try and court players to the game.

(It worked, but the game died a week or two later for different reasons)

So, Exalted. to set the scene; we were playing a party investigating some serious "Children of the Corn" type shenanigans, and our investigations led us to a nearby jungle/forest.We entered the area, cautious and wary, and still managed to get jumped by the locals, who scored off a series of shots with blowdarts tipped with poisons.

Most of us got jumped anyway; the rogue managed to escape, and settled for tailing them, as the natives dragged our unconscious bodies to... somewhere, and dumped us in a cage. So, our characters came to sitting in a cage which was made of bones. This was less than encouraging, made even less so by the fact that the poisons they knocked us out with? Had trippy side-effects. As in, the "lick the back of a frog, and space out man," kind of trippy. 

So, the rogue is scouting out the scene. And whatever she saw, it didn't bode well for us... you know, in case the bone cage hadn't already given that impression. So, she decides she's going to stage a jail break. With Exalted running off of "Rule of Cool", and because she didn't want to risk being too open while she did so, she decided to be a cool rogue type. She would toss the dagger she had on her, breaking the lock and letting us all escape.

She flipped the dagger, caught it by the blade. Lined up the shot; threw it.
And that's when things started to go wrong. I'll start with the rogue.

Unfortunately for her, people noticed the dagger flying out of the bushes, and started to swarm towards her. Immediatly, she decided to take off through the wilderness, enemies chasing behind her trying to stick her with spears and blowguns and  other pointy things. We ended the session before we found out what happened to her; she was the lucky one.

As for the dagger... the GM rolled, to see if it hit the lock and how much damage it would do.
Turned out it missed. So he rolled to see if it would hit the bars of the cage, or go through.
Turns out it missed the bars, and went through towards us. So he rolled to see if it would hit one of us.

Since I'm the one telling this story, you can probably tell how that ended; with my ranger, still coming down from a drug high, suddenly having a knife planted blade first in his chest. He fell to the ground.

Now, I cna't recall our precise party load-out... but we had a druid with us. And the druid had healing skills; not magic, but actual, battlefield surgery. Which he immediately leapt up to do.
Leading to a stoned out druid trying to perform impromptu heart surgery, with no equipment, on a guy who had no unaesthetic, in the middle of a (presumably unsanitary) cage made out of the bones of the dead. 
It ended poorly. 

Only other games I'm doing at the moment... well, haven't had anything really crazy or cool happen yet. Statistically improbably, yes, but nothing crazy or cool.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Eh, I've shared this story before... but what the hey.

My first ever roleplaying experience; a mortals game of Exalted. If you know Exalted, you should already realize this means our life expectancy could be counted in hours. I did not know that until after the game; it was just a one-off, intended to try and court players to the game.

(It worked, but the game died a week or two later for different reasons)

So, Exalted. to set the scene; we were playing a party investigating some serious "Children of the Corn" type shenanigans, and our investigations led us to a nearby jungle/forest.We entered the area, cautious and wary, and still managed to get jumped by the locals, who scored off a series of shots with blowdarts tipped with poisons.

Most of us got jumped anyway; the rogue managed to escape, and settled for tailing them, as the natives dragged our unconscious bodies to... somewhere, and dumped us in a cage. So, our characters came to sitting in a cage which was made of bones. This was less than encouraging, made even less so by the fact that the poisons they knocked us out with? Had trippy side-effects. As in, the "lick the back of a frog, and space out man," kind of trippy. 

So, the rogue is scouting out the scene. And whatever she saw, it didn't bode well for us... you know, in case the bone cage hadn't already given that impression. So, she decides she's going to stage a jail break. With Exalted running off of "Rule of Cool", and because she didn't want to risk being too open while she did so, she decided to be a cool rogue type. She would toss the dagger she had on her, breaking the lock and letting us all escape.

She flipped the dagger, caught it by the blade. Lined up the shot; threw it.
And that's when things started to go wrong. I'll start with the rogue.

Unfortunately for her, people noticed the dagger flying out of the bushes, and started to swarm towards her. Immediatly, she decided to take off through the wilderness, enemies chasing behind her trying to stick her with spears and blowguns and  other pointy things. We ended the session before we found out what happened to her; she was the lucky one.

As for the dagger... the GM rolled, to see if it hit the lock and how much damage it would do.
Turned out it missed. So he rolled to see if it would hit the bars of the cage, or go through.
Turns out it missed the bars, and went through towards us. So he rolled to see if it would hit one of us.

Since I'm the one telling this story, you can probably tell how that ended; with my ranger, still coming down from a drug high, suddenly having a knife planted blade first in his chest. He fell to the ground.

Now, I cna't recall our precise party load-out... but we had a druid with us. And the druid had healing skills; not magic, but actual, battlefield surgery. Which he immediately leapt up to do.
Leading to a stoned out druid trying to perform impromptu heart surgery, with no equipment, on a guy who had no unaesthetic, in the middle of a (presumably unsanitary) cage made out of the bones of the dead. 
It ended poorly. 

Only other games I'm doing at the moment... well, haven't had anything really crazy or cool happen yet. Statistically improbably, yes, but nothing crazy or cool.

9

Holy crap, now that's a series of unfortunate events, eh?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never played tabletop role-play before but I once had to step in as dungeon master while a friend of mine (who is an employee at a local game store) stepped out to get lunch.

It was an educational experience.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bleeder said:

I've never played tabletop role-play before but I once had to step in as dungeon master while a friend of mine (who is an employee at a local game store) stepped out to get lunch.

It was an educational experience.

 

Heh heh, really? For good or ill? C'mon, share the juicy details!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, while waiting for Bleeder, I'll just share one of mine... and I feel it appropriate that the first story to share on a Brandon Sanderson site should be from a Brandon Sanderson-licensed game

For those of you who've never played it, it should come as no surprise that the officially licensed Mistborn RPG posits all player characters are criminals or otherwise a "crew," instead of a party (complete nicknames). So, all the players in my game were criminals of one sort of other, complete with an awesome crew-name-

The Whispers.

Led by one of our players, who went by the nomme de plume of "Hush." The idea for Hush's character? He's a former Canton of Finance bureaucrat (and a Soother) who found himself in the middle of an early mid-life crisis (at the ripe old age of 34) that culminated with him staring into a ceiling one night in bed, after hearing more and more stories of the infamous Kelsier, and thinking to himself aloud, "Lord Ruler, what have I been doing with my life?"

So, he promptly quit his job and proceeded to build a reputation for himself as a criminal mastermind who could pull off the greatest heists... all to match or even surpass his secret idol Kelsier. 

Unfortunately, for all of his pretences, he's... not nearly as clever or grandiose as he liked to believe. 

We ran his first real attempt at a con. Hush would convince an elderly Noble couple he was a representative for a powerful House in the Southern Dominance famous for its distilleries and monopolization on certain liquors, wines and brandies, responsible for some of the finest wine in the world. With his Soothing, it was a piece of cake, and that he had a perfect replica of perfect Southern Brandy (made entirely out of cheap stuff). 

A little Soothing and the cheap stuff tasted like the best thing in the world. 

The con here was supposed to be that the elderly couple would accept a ludicrous proposal to, well, purchase merchant ships that'd carry imports from the Southern Dominance to their docks and their docks only, thereby granting them a full 10-20% of the sales and distribution. Hush would take the money and bring it back to his "master" back south. At least, in theory.

Now, astute readers among you might actually recognize this as a reference to a similar ploy from Scott Lynch's Lies of Locke Lamora. And you'd be right. Major inspiration for the campaign here. So cue the party getting together at night to break into the couple's manor, scaring the bejeesus out of them... and convincing them they weren't thieves, but Obligators on the track of a notorious criminal who poses as merchants suckering the nobility with this or that scam.

That's right. Hush's plan was to pull a con within a con. Con-ception, if you will. Ba-tum-tsh. The plan? Do nothing. Just keep paying the "merchant's" fees until he's lulled into a false sense of security.

A few in-game weeks passed... and while the husband of the pair was a pompous idiot, the wife was a little more shrewd. In fact, she had long clued that there was something fishy about this whole scenario, but she hid her suspicions from the Soother amazingly well. She played the part of a vapid former beauty queen quite well, often overtly and shamelessly flirting with Hush whenever they were in the same room (to the sniggering of the disguised crew and to his everlasting shame). 

Unfortunately, he didn't realize she was a Rioter. She might have been a little rusty, but you didn't grow up in the decadent court of Luthadel without learning some essential survival traits. Like sussing out a con. So she asked Hush to come to her study for a "night cap," wink wink. Swallowing his pride, and thinking he had already had this con in the bag, Hush followed her into her room...

Only to be met by a smiling octogenarian in a flimsy nighty, stringing a bow and knocking an arrow aimed right at him. 

Yup. That was when Hush knew the game was up. They both dropped the act, they had a neat little "James Bond and Bond Villain" back-and-forth banter, all the while Hush's mind raced with possible strategies. The other members of the crew were downstairs and none of them would have been able to reach him in time if she let loose that arrow. They were already engaged in a battle of wills, between Soother and Rioter, flaring their metals as powerfully as they could. To his horror, they were evenly matched. 

... The only thing that saved Hush from a pointy arrow through the neck? 

A bad roll on my part, but in-universe let's chalk it up to the old noblewoman overestimating her strength and skill with the bow and wildly missing her shot. As the arrow flitted overhead and bured itself in a fine tapestry, our anti-hero fished for the first weapon on his person, the knife he kept strapped to his ankle! 

... And he too had an awful roll. The knife pathetically flung itself out the window. 

Con artist and target took the time to stare at one another, both equally embarassed at how fast this confrontation was descending into pure farce. 

Noblewoman: "... That was pathetic."

Hush: "Yes. Yes it was."

(beat)

Hush: "AAAH!" (lunges himself at her)

Yes, our anti-hero decided the next best course of action was to lunge at the eighty-something old woman. The worst part? Out of everyone on the crew, out of all the Whispers, Hush had the looooowest physical stats. Yes, our James Moriarity here could be physically stalemated by his grandmother, which was exactly what happened as he and the noblewoman wrestled on the floor, each trying to strangle or smack the other with a shoe. 

Funniest moment out of this whole thing? He managed to get on top (stop sniggering) and strangle the old woman with her own silk shawl, but all the while she was smacking him with a fancy heel. Repeatedly. In the eye. 

Hush: (through grit teeth) "Why!" (SMACK!) "Won't!" (SMACK!) "You!" (SMACK!) "DIE?!" (SMACK!)

And finally, she was dead. The Whispers' fearless leader, the next criminal legend of the Scadrial underworld, nearly murdered in a physical brawl with a woman old enough to be his great-grandmother, had finally triumphed. He could breathe easy. It was at this point Octo, the crew's resident Thug and bruiser, burst through the door and saw what had happened. 

Octo: ... (sniggers)

Hush: "Oh, shut up and help me carry this body."

Hush relaid his plan to Octo; they'd carry the body to the docks in a cleverly disguised fish cart and dump its contents in the waters. It was the perfect plan. It couldn't possibly fail-

It absolutely did. There was a short gasp at the door as the two men lifted the noblewoman's body at opposite ends. They turned their heads, just as a tray of teas dropped, scattered and shattered on the gorgeous burgandy rug-

A young maid stared in abject horror at the scene, wide-eyed, hands to her mouth. 

Hush: (clears throat) ... "Madame, I can assure you with utmost sincerity, this is not what it looks like." 

... And he failed a Soothing roll. 

So, yes, it was exactly as it looked like. The maid screamed at the top of her lungs and alerted every House Guard in the place. Octo and Hush exchanged glances, nodded, and just dropped the body like a sack of potatoes and ran like hell. They'd soon join up with the rest of the Whispers, as pitched battle and escape ensued. It was harsh, it was brutal, but the party managed to get into the sewers with only a few bruises and cuts and several sacks full of money to show for the whole fiasco. 

Everyone glared at their fearless leader... and started to laugh uproariously. 

"Hey, Hush, you think Kelsier ever lost a fistfight with his grandma?"

Hush: "I'll have you know I won!"

"See, that you had to qualify it..."

Edited by Quadrophenia
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not played a lot of roleplaying in my days, but there was one somewhat amusing time...

Start of the campaign (that then fizzled out into nothing, but doesnt matter) We are hired to clean out a dungeon for whatever reason. After making the way through the dungeon, to the necromancer who owns the place we are met with a choice: Dont kill him, turn on the people who hired us, and he will reward us. He isnt as rich as the criminal gang that hired us, but my bard is doing bardic math and figuring that we can just rob the gang that hired us silly and get the necromancers rewards. Having a necromancer on your side is always useful.

Of course our Barbarian decides that he shall try to lie his way out of this while I am planning, obviously fudges the charisma roll (he's a half troll... the guy playing the barbarian had to play a troll, but anyway) and the battle starts. It ends with us sadly killing the necromancer (well, the Troll, who was named Fred went into a rage and... yeah), but hey, rewards. My bard is still kind of pissed that his plan didnt work though.

I wasnt in this next session, but for some reason our rogue kidnaps a woman in disguise, who rolls a 20 on an intimidation check and he ends up setting her free.

This woman was of course the princess.

This only gets important later. We hear a battle horn, belonging to a goblin army and for different reasons decide to protect the kingdom we are in.

Even if our rogue hates the princess.

My bard is mostly seeing images of gold and women

He's a bit of a jerk.

Anyway, after a long, strange battle, which for reasons include flammable ink we manage to defeat the goblin army and return as heroes.

Which we of course screw up, for different reasons.

The rogue whispers to the princess that he should have killed her when he had the chance (they really hate each other), our monk keeps hitting on said princess (he's really bad at being a monk) and I, well, when the king says that we can ask for anything but his daughters hand in marriage I probably shouldnt have asked if I could have a night.

So we are chased out of this kingdom, branded as criminals.

We run to the rogues house to prepare, but it is of course flooded with assassins and despite everything going wrong (including trolls showing up) we make it out, to another town.

 

Entering this new town we are mostly exploring, buying stuff, lying low.

I, just walking around decide to check out a building, I enter it and it is of course the headquarter of the local guard.

"You, young sir look like you want to serve the guard for the evening."

He really does not, but he has -1 in wisdom so I fail the counter roll.

My bard, of course, doing bardic math figure that if he is wearing a uniform he might as well misuse it and goes to seduce the twins keeping the magic shop and succeds, with identical rolls for both of them.

 

So, that was interesting.

 

There was also that one session of Dont Rest Your Head (I have the PDFs for this in case anyone is interested)

It starts with both my players entering The Mad City, in a park, one player sees a needlenose, a dog with a needle for a head looking for something, presumably him and hides behind a bush. He of course fails the roll and I decide that the bush is trying to eat him, he fails the roll to save him from the bush (I only hit him with like 2 pain, dont look at me) and scene changes to character number 2, who after seeing the needlenose is running in the opposite direction. I dont feel like killing a character this early decide that space works differently in the Mad City and character 2 is running away from character 1, and sees him being eaten by a bush.

Luckily character 2 doesnt fail the roll to save character 1.

They then have to run away from a group of school girls who are really insistent on playing skip rope with them.

DRYH is an interesting game...

Edited by Zathoth
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zathoth said:

I have not played a lot of roleplaying in my days, but there was one somewhat amusing time...

Start of the campaign (that then fizzled out into nothing, but doesnt matter) We are hired to clean out a dungeon for whatever reason. After making the way through the dungeon, to the necromancer who owns the place we are met with a choice: Dont kill him, turn on the people who hired us, and he will reward us. He isnt as rich as the criminal gang that hired us, but my bard is doing bardic math and figuring that we can just rob the gang that hired us silly and get the necromancers rewards. Having a necromancer on your side is always useful.

Of course our Barbarian decides that he shall try to lie his way out of this while I am planning, obviously fudges the charisma roll (he's a half troll... the guy playing the barbarian had to play a troll, but anyway) and the battle starts. It ends with us sadly killing the necromancer (well, the Troll, who was named Fred went into a rage and... yeah), but hey, rewards. My bard is still kind of pissed that his plan didnt work though.

I wasnt in this next session, but for some reason our rogue kidnaps a woman in disguise, who rolls a 20 on an intimidation check and he ends up setting her free.

This woman was of course the princess.

This only gets important later. We hear a battle horn, belonging to a goblin army and for different reasons decide to protect the kingdom we are in.

Even if our rogue hates the princess.

My bard is mostly seeing images of gold and women

He's a bit of a jerk.

Anyway, after a long, strange battle, which for reasons include flammable ink we manage to defeat the goblin army and return as heroes.

Which we of course screw up, for different reasons.

The rogue whispers to the princess that he should have killed her when he had the chance (they really hate each other), our monk keeps hitting on said princess (he's really bad at being a monk) and I, well, when the king says that we can ask for anything but his daughters hand in marriage I probably shouldnt have asked if I could have a night.

So we are chased out of this kingdom, branded as criminals.

We run to the rogues house to prepare, but it is of course flooded with assassins and despite everything going wrong (including trolls showing up) we make it out, to another town.

 

Entering this new town we are mostly exploring, buying stuff, lying low.

I, just walking around decide to check out a building, I enter it and it is of course the headquarter of the local guard.

"You, young sir look like you want to serve the guard for the evening."

He really does not, but he has -1 in wisdom so I fail the counter roll.

My bard, of course, doing bardic math figure that if he is wearing a uniform he might as well misuse it and goes to seduce the twins keeping the magic shop and succeds, with identical rolls for both of them.

 

So, that was interesting.

 

There was also that one session of Dont Rest Your Head (I have the PDFs for this in case anyone is interested)

It starts with both my players entering The Mad City, in a park, one player sees a needlenose, a dog with a needle for a head looking for something, presumably him and hides behind a bush. He of course fails the roll and I decide that the bush is trying to eat him, he fails the roll to save him from the bush (I only hit him with like 2 pain, dont look at me) and scene changes to character number 2, who after seeing the needlenose is running in the opposite direction. I dont feel like killing a character this early decide that space works differently in the Mad City and character 2 is running away from character 1, and sees him being eaten by a bush.

Luckily character 2 doesnt fail the roll to save character 1.

They then have to run away from a group of school girls who are really insistent on playing skip rope with them.

DRYH is an interesting game...

 

Heh, sounds like you had a real adventure.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Quiver said:

Only other games I'm doing at the moment... well, haven't had anything really crazy or cool happen yet. Statistically improbably, yes, but nothing crazy or cool.

1

You know, your story perfectly encapsulates what I love about tabletop gaming: the capacity for hilarious, borderline farcical failure. Reactions become genuine, people scramble to correct their course of action, they have to deal with an avalanche of consequences... 

 

13 hours ago, Zathoth said:

So, that was interesting.

 

It really was! It's sort of a classic "all player characters act like Chaotic Neutral jerks" campaign, where they just stomp about thinking they're the center of the universe, get away with it long enough to justify the hype, and then reality makes the mother of all wake up calls.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, here's a good one... 

The next story is more "awesome" than silly. After our Mistborn game, my friends and I graduated... to an Alloy of Law game, which is a real thing! It's a supplement to the Mistborn RPG. We traded our crooks for lawkeepers this time around. Instead of the Whispers, they became "The Steeldevils," a band of rough and tumble of Mettalic Arts-using gunslingers. The party had such colourful characters as a devil-may-care Steelrunner who wore steel knuckles as his steelminds for sped-up JoJo's Bizarre Adventure-style rapid punches-

"ORAORAORAORAORAORAORA!"

A gentle koloss-blooded Brute... a dandy Sparker dual-swordsman...

But this story focuses on the two leaders of the Steeldevils, a Vash-expy Coinshot named "Raining Lead Zak" and a Twinborn named "Hunting Eyes" Kelsien Audiel. Cool nicknames, yeah? See, the other party members weren't available at the time and I had said to my two friends, "Hey, while we're waiting for them, let's do a neat little trial run of this game, see how this works with guns and stuff."

"Yeah, that sounds good, what'd you have in mind?"

Thus, it became the origin story for how the Steeldevils were founded. Zak was on the run from an outlaw gang, hunted through the wilderness of the Roughs. Bleeding from a bullet wound in his shoulder, bullets flying overhead, our hero triped down a hill. He stumbled, hit a few rocks, kicked up dirt and gravel- but at the bottom of the hill, in a wee clearing of woods, was a humble little cabin. Scrambling, Zak made a mad dash for it. He banged on the door-!

Only to be answered with a hunting rifle barrel pressed against his forehead. Enter Kelsien, a hardy Hugh Glass-esque mountain man. A real bear of a fella, complete with a spectacular moustache and sideburns. Zak told him what was going on, that a posse of outlaws was trying to kill him as revenge for arresting their boss the other week, and Kelsien--being a Survivorist--couldn't help but want to protect a lawkeeper, so he allowed him in. 

... Right when the outlaws showed up on his doorstep. 

What followed was a badass siege. It was the Alamo, but with two men versus two dozen hombres. 

(Insert Ennio Morricone music right... here)

Raining Lead equipped himself with shotguns and pistols, while Hunting Eyes had a hunting rifle, a massive handcannon for a hunting pistol, and a big ol' serrated knife. Together, combined with their powers, they were evenly matched against the outlaws. Oh, and Kelsien's thing? His Feruchemical ability was as a Windwhisperer, so he'd play spotter for the wounded Zak while countering enemy snipers. His Allomantic ability? Well... 

At one point, a big burley koloss-blooded bruiser crashed through the wall from the back, wielding a massive wooden club in his hands to counter Zak's Steelpushing. The outlaws had been prepared. He backhanded Kelsien across the wall and survived a few direct shots from Zak's pistols before he kicked Zak so hard he dropped his guns. 

And before he could have turned Zak's head into pulp, Kelsien leapt at the koloss-blooded man's back and activated his Allomantic ability: Bendalloy. Yeah. He caught him in a speed bubble. So while that was happening, Zak picked up his guns and resumed the firefight, flaring his Steel to give his bullets more punch-

One moment later, Kelsien was thrown out of his own speed bubble, but he had laid some serious damage on the koloss-blooded bruiser... via repeated stabs with the hunting knife. The bruiser was bloody and raw, but still standing, panting heavily with rage and adrenaline coursing through his veins... and Raining Lead whipped out his shotgun and shot him. Point blank. Repeatedly. 

The guy still wouldn't go down! He was a tough sumslontze, but at least he was staggered. The real final blow came, though, when Kelsien took a steel-tipped spear off the rack and jabbed it into the thug's side!

... Just as the bandits chucked dynamite into the cabin. 

Our heroes acted with surprising foresight. First, Zak used the last ounces of his Steelpushing to give his buckshot enough stopping power to send the koloss-blooded bruiser packing, punching him across the cabin and into the bundle of dynamite's path. Second, Kelsien tackled Zak out the wall while activating his speed bubble. 

As Kelsien's home became ground zero for guts and ash, the remaining bandits circled around... from two dozen there were only six left. They didn't catch any sign of the two...

Until they dropped out of Kelsien's speed bubble. 

Zak had drank his last Steel vial while in the bubble. He might not have had any bullets left, but there were plenty of bullet cases and such to fling at the remaining bandits. For Kelsien's part, he just tackled the gang leader--who, understandably, wanted to run away at this point in sheer terror--and smacked his face against a rock for a good solid minute... until the man's nose was covered in pulpy red... 

Our two heroes breathed heavily, looking at the chaos strewn about them... then glanced to each other. 

They exchanged firm forearm grasps. 

"They call me Raining-Lead Zak."

"And I Kelsien, Lawkeep."

You couldn't ask for a manlier ending to this, right?

Edited by Quadrophenia
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Quadrophenia said:

It really was! It's sort of a classic "all player characters act like Chaotic Neutral jerks" campaign, where they just stomp about thinking they're the center of the universe, get away with it long enough to justify the hype, and then reality makes the mother of all wake up calls.

Yeah, sadly the campaign trailed away into nothing (well, into pokemon...) so we never got the wake up.

Funny thing is that I was the only Chaotic Neutral character, we were just unlucky XD

5 hours ago, Quadrophenia said:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Have I mentioned that JJBA is one of my favorite things?... we should make a JJBA RP.

5 hours ago, Quadrophenia said:

(Insert Ennio Morricone music right... here)

For a few boxings more... (Rewriting all of Sergio Leones westerns to be set on Scadrial would be awesome...)

Spoiler

 

 

5 hours ago, Quadrophenia said:

You couldn't ask for a manlier ending to this, right?

I'm trying to think of one, I can't.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zathoth said:

Yeah, sadly the campaign trailed away into nothing (well, into pokemon...) so we never got the wake up.

Funny thing is that I was the only Chaotic Neutral character, we were just unlucky XD

Have I mentioned that JJBA is one of my favorite things?... we should make a JJBA RP.

For a few boxings more... (Rewriting all of Sergio Leones westerns to be set on Scadrial would be awesome...)

  Reveal hidden contents

 

 

I'm trying to think of one, I can't.

 

"For a Few Boxings More."

"Fistful of Boxings."

"Once Upon a Time in the Roughs."

"The Wild Crew."

"Have Spikes Will Travel."

"The Outlaw Kelsier."

"Dances with Koloss."

"Vin Unchained."

"High Ruin."

"Red Canal."

"3:10 to Elendel."

"High Plains Inquisitor." 

"True Steel."

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Quadrophenia said:

"For a Few Boxings More."

"Fistful of Boxings."

"Once Upon a Time in the Roughs."

"The Wild Crew."

"Have Spikes Will Travel."

"The Outlaw Kelsier."

"Dances with Koloss."

"Vin Unchained."

"High Ruin."

"Red Canal."

"3:10 to Elendel."

"High Plains Inquisitor." 

"True Steel."

The Good, The Bad and The Koloss

Can we make all of these?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

The Good, The Bad and The Koloss

Can we make all of these?

 

Dear mother of God, if I could actually run Alloy of Law games on this site... or, at the very least, drum up people interested to play with me... 

Same with running an Era I Mistborn game, to boot. For that matter, any game, really. D&D 3.5, Pathfinder...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, so, I was doing some freeplay roleplay kinda like Ultimate Arena on my own (jk) MANY RACIST AND VERY OFFENSIVE, OBSCENE, AND HORRIBLE JOKES TO FOLLOW.

And I created a character called Hitler. Now Hitler is your average hardworking German who happens to be on the top of every trend. He owns a small shop in West Berlin where he makes loads by selling gas ovens wayyy overpriced. He also created this cool little game called Gas Who, as well as hosted the annual Hide n' Die competition, where the local Jews were rounded up and released into the country-side where the SS hunt them down, if you escaped German borders, you won. If you were found you die.

I played as Hitler, the "GM" of the game, and my mates played as---

Anne Frank, a Jew on the run, Schmuel, a Jew with his first chance at freedom, Pavil, a Jew.

The Nazis were- Heinrich Himmler, Paul Blobel and Mein Craft.

Heheh, we sent em on the run we did. My friends thought it would be funny to make things historically accurate, so Anne Frank kept rolling to hide in an Attic. Schmuel and Pavil ended up escaping but we didn't care, cos we wanted to find ol' Anny

After around 3 rounds we found the house, but then the people hiding her told us that she had flown away in an aluminium blimp. So, to keep it historically accurate of course, we spent a couple of rounds hunting the blimp, then "finding out" that Anne wasn't there. Then we went back to the house, which took a round, then killed the people hiding her. then spent a round taking our time to finding her in the attic.

Then we had cake.

We had lots of laughs those days.

Image result for nazi jokes

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dankness Ascendant said:

So, so, I was doing some freeplay roleplay kinda like Ultimate Arena on my own (jk) MANY RACIST AND VERY OFFENSIVE, OBSCENE, AND HORRIBLE JOKES TO FOLLOW.

And I created a character called Hitler. Now Hitler is your average hardworking German who happens to be on the top of every trend. He owns a small shop in West Berlin where he makes loads by selling gas ovens wayyy overpriced. He also created this cool little game called Gas Who, as well as hosted the annual Hide n' Die competition, where the local Jews were rounded up and released into the country-side where the SS hunt them down, if you escaped German borders, you won. If you were found you die.

I played as Hitler, the "GM" of the game, and my mates played as---

Anne Frank, a Jew on the run, Schmuel, a Jew with his first chance at freedom, Pavil, a Jew.

The Nazis were- Heinrich Himmler, Paul Blobel and Mein Craft.

Heheh, we sent em on the run we did. My friends thought it would be funny to make things historically accurate, so Anne Frank kept rolling to hide in an Attic. Schmuel and Pavil ended up escaping but we didn't care, cos we wanted to find ol' Anny

After around 3 rounds we found the house, but then the people hiding her told us that she had flown away in an aluminium blimp. So, to keep it historically accurate of course, we spent a couple of rounds hunting the blimp, then "finding out" that Anne wasn't there. Then we went back to the house, which took a round, then killed the people hiding her. then spent a round taking our time to finding her in the attic.

Then we had cake.

We had lots of laughs those days.

Image result for nazi jokes

13

I WILL admit, not the kind of crazy RPG story I was expecting XD

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've shared a few of my roleplaying stories on the true stories thread but I don't remember exactly which. So I apologise in advance if I repeat something, but here's a few fun stories.

My first proper roleplaying experience (I think?) was playing Prime Directive (star trek rpg). My dad was GMing and us kids were players. We were investigating a derelict Romulan ship and my sister was playing a vulcan and decided (quite reasonably) to start things off by trying to mentally detect other lifeforms. The roll was exceedingly bad and my dad described life forms moving around all over the ship, and some coming up the ladder next to us! So naturally we all pulled out our phasers and waited. Once we realised there wasn't anything coming up we decided to make sure there wasn't anything that was going to come up so we climbed down ourselves. At that point in time we were less aware of the tendency for things to get more dangerous when you went down.

In any case, there were 2 or 3 romulans below that appeared to be completely crazy and were wielding some sort of blunt instruments, pipes or the like. I had decided to play a genius engineer/tech type character, which had sounded like a great idea at the time. Not so good when crazy romulans are charging you, so the first thing of any significance to happen in the game was me getting knocked out in 1 hit :P I may have learned a thing or two about caution, and squishy characters, from that experience.

---

The one rp experience that may have been before that was with some family friends (around our age give or take a couple of years). We created GURPS characters with some intention of adventuring. All we actually ended up doing was determining the order in which we would eat party members if we were starving (one of the character's pet hamster was first on the menu) and having a free for all battle...sort of. It very quickly stopped being a battle as people lost interest, I think someone decided to hide in a tree while someone else set up a BBQ and started cooking sausages. I don't remember how that all ended, but I do remember the sausages getting burnt.

---

In my most recent D&D (5e) session my players had just entered the feywild and found themselves in a forest of giant trees. The wood elf cleric immediately decided to climb a tree to get a good view, not an easy task given that the branches were proportional to the rest of the tree and relatively spread out, but they rolled a nat 20, so up they went :) They got about halfway up before the party's warlock cast fly on themself and zoomed up past them to take a look. Unwilling to just climb down again as the party moved on the cleric decided to follow from the tree branches, leaping from one to the next. I allowed it of course, and asked for an acrobatics check. They rolled very low (a 1 I think) and missed the first jump and started to plummet towards the ground. The party made some attempts to arrest their fall, all of which failed, and I had the cleric make a dex saving throw to land well, which they also failed. The fall didn't kill them but it did drop them to 0 and leave them bleeding out, a problem easily rectified with a little healing magic.

Just after this they heard an extremely silly sounding voice (intentionally) shouting DOOOOOOOOM at them. A couple of perceptions checks later they saw a satyr sitting on the bottom branch of a nearby tree and smiling gleefully as it repeatedly pronounced their DOOOOOM. The dwarven fighter, being the level headed, rational person he is, threw a javelin at the satyr and knocked him out of the tree. That pretty much set the tone for the encounter (as intended) and aside from gaining a little bit of useful information everyone had a good laugh :) Doing the silly satyr's voice strained my vocal chords a bit and I certainly sounded ridiculous but it was 100% worth it. One of my players started yelling DOOOOOOM as we were walking back from getting dinner later on so I think it made the right impression.

---

For the past 3 and a half years or so I've been GMing a Mistborn campaign with multiple crews from competing noble houses. (I do not recommend this kind of multi-crew campaign unless you have a lot of time on your hands and you're really dedicated. It can be awesome, but it's hard.) The players are aware of the other players, but don't know who their characters are or which houses they're from, which can lead to some hilarious interactions. Earlier in the campaign two of the player houses both essayed a number of minor strikes against eachother, before allying to work jointly on a major contract for the steel ministry. All without realising they were interacting with other players. XD

Another fun moment early in the campaign was when one of the crews wanted to sabotage a rival houses' barge convoy using a simple, but creative strategy. Their keeper stored as much weight as they could and their mistborn picked him up and leaped over the canal with him and dropped him over the barge. The keeper then tapped as much weight as he could and slammed into the barge, causing it to flip. He then tapped gold to heal himself, stored weight again and the mistborn pulled him up from the bottom of the canal, ready to repeat the process for the next barge. Probably the biggest downside to this plan was that it left some rather compelling evidence that some significant powered shenanigans had gone down in the raid :P

Edited by Claincy
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Claincy said:

I've shared a few of my roleplaying stories on the true stories thread but I don't remember exactly which. So I apologise in advance if I repeat something, but here's a few fun stories.

My first proper roleplaying experience (I think?) was playing Prime Directive (star trek rpg). My dad was GMing and us kids were players. We were investigating a derelict Romulan ship and my sister was playing a vulcan and decided (quite reasonably) to start things off by trying to mentally detect other lifeforms. The roll was exceedingly bad and my dad described life forms moving around all over the ship, and some coming up the ladder next to us! So naturally we all pulled out our phasers and waited. Once we realised there wasn't anything coming up we decided to make sure there wasn't anything that was going to come up so we climbed down ourselves. At that point in time we were less aware of the tendency for things to get more dangerous when you went down.

In any case, there were 2 or 3 romulans below that appeared to be completely crazy and were wielding some sort of blunt instruments, pipes or the like. I had decided to play a genius engineer/tech type character, which had sounded like a great idea at the time. Not so good when crazy romulans are charging you, so the first thing of any significance to happen in the game was me getting knocked out in 1 hit :P I may have learned a thing or two about caution, and squishy characters, from that experience.

---

The one rp experience that may have been before that was with some family friends (around our age give or take a couple of years). We created GURPS characters with some intention of adventuring. All we actually ended up doing was determining the order in which we would eat party members if we were starving (one of the character's pet hamster was first on the menu) and having a free for all battle...sort of. It very quickly stopped being a battle as people lost interest, I think someone decided to hide in a tree while someone else set up a BBQ and started cooking sausages. I don't remember how that all ended, but I do remember the sausages getting burnt.

---

In my most recent D&D (5e) session my players had just entered the feywild and found themselves in a forest of giant trees. The wood elf cleric immediately decided to climb a tree to get a good view, not an easy task given that the branches were proportional to the rest of the tree and relatively spread out, but they rolled a nat 20, so up they went :) They got about halfway up before the party's warlock cast fly on themself and zoomed up past them to take a look. Unwilling to just climb down again as the party moved on the cleric decided to follow from the tree branches, leaping from one to the next. I allowed it of course, and asked for an acrobatics check. They rolled very low (a 1 I think) and missed the first jump and started to plummet towards the ground. The party made some attempts to arrest their fall, all of which failed, and I had the cleric make a dex saving throw to land well, which they also failed. The fall didn't kill them but it did drop them to 0 and leave them bleeding out, a problem easily rectified with a little healing magic.

Just after this they heard an extremely silly sounding voice (intentionally) shouting DOOOOOOOOM at them. A couple of perceptions checks later they saw a satyr sitting on the bottom branch of a nearby tree and smiling gleefully as it repeatedly pronounced their DOOOOOM. The dwarven fighter, being the level headed, rational person he is, threw a javelin at the satyr and knocked him out of the tree. That pretty much set the tone for the encounter (as intended) and aside from gaining a little bit of useful information everyone had a good laugh :) Doing the silly satyr's voice strained my vocal chords a bit and I certainly sounded ridiculous but it was 100% worth it. One of my players started yelling DOOOOOOM as we were walking back from getting dinner later on so I think it made the right impression.

---

For the past 3 and a half years or so I've been GMing a Mistborn campaign with multiple crews from competing noble houses. (I do not recommend this kind of multi-crew campaign unless you have a lot of time on your hands and you're really dedicated. It can be awesome, but it's hard.) The players are aware of the other players, but don't know who their characters are or which houses they're from, which can lead to some hilarious interactions. Earlier in the campaign two of the player houses both essayed a number of minor strikes against eachother, before allying to work jointly on a major contract for the steel ministry. All without realising they were interacting with other players. XD

Another fun moment early in the campaign was when one of the crews wanted to sabotage a rival houses' barge convoy using a simple, but creative strategy. Their keeper stored as much weight as they could and their mistborn picked him up and leaped over the canal with him and dropped him over the barge. The keeper then tapped as much weight as he could and slammed into the barge, causing it to flip. He then tapped gold to heal himself, stored weight again and the mistborn pulled him up from the bottom of the canal, ready to repeat the process for the next barge. Probably the biggest downside to this plan was that it left some rather compelling evidence that some significant powered shenanigans had gone down in the raid :P

To respond to each...

1) Heh heh, in hindsight, why would the Engineer join the away team?

2) Oh god, sounds like a camping trip gone horribly wrong.

3) (dies laughing from e sheer comedy of errors)

4) Hooooooly crap, one GM managing multiple parties in a single game? Good God, that must require incredible mental juggling just to keep the show balanced.  And how did you find all the players for something so ambitious?

Still, darn, that sounds like it was a blast...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Quadrophenia said:

To respond to each...

1) Heh heh, in hindsight, why would the Engineer join the away team?

2) Oh god, sounds like a camping trip gone horribly wrong.

3) (dies laughing from e sheer comedy of errors)

4) Hooooooly crap, one GM managing multiple parties in a single game? Good God, that must require incredible mental juggling just to keep the show balanced.  And how did you find all the players for something so ambitious?

Still, darn, that sounds like it was a blast...

:)

Well, here's the odd thing. Finding enough players was by far the easiest part. I knew enough people who liked mistborn or who just found my pitch for a multi-crew campaign interesting. I'd had negligible experience GMing before I started this campaign but I've gotten a heck of a lot better at it since then and a lot better at managing the multi-crewness. I have a folder system where I keep notes on all the (24 23 now) major houses involved in the campaign, I have a map of the alliances between the houses and a majority of the time the players do not interact with other PCs directly, but with other people from the same house or other houses entirely. There has been far more indirect (and more direct) interaction between the various PCs than the majority of them realise. The timelines can get a bit very messy to keep sorted but I've got better at that over time too. I've also had plenty of practice in keeping a poker face when the PCs are discussing whether X event or house is player driven :P

I've definitely made plenty of mistakes in that campaign and there have been long gaps when I've been sick or otherwise unable to maintain it. Over the years I've also had significantly more people drop out of the campaign than most campaigns have in them in the first place :/ Still, I don't regret running it one bit.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Claincy said:

:)

Well, here's the odd thing. Finding enough players was by far the easiest part. I knew enough people who liked mistborn or who just found my pitch for a multi-crew campaign interesting. I'd had negligible experience GMing before I started this campaign but I've gotten a heck of a lot better at it since then and a lot better at managing the multi-crewness. I have a folder system where I keep notes on all the (24 23 now) major houses involved in the campaign, I have a map of the alliances between the houses and a majority of the time the players do not interact with other PCs directly, but with other people from the same house or other houses entirely. There has been far more indirect (and more direct) interaction between the various PCs than the majority of them realise. The timelines can get a bit very messy to keep sorted but I've got better at that over time too. I've also had plenty of practice in keeping a poker face when the PCs are discussing whether X event or house is player driven :P

I've definitely made plenty of mistakes in that campaign and there have been long gaps when I've been sick or otherwise unable to maintain it. Over the years I've also had significantly more people drop out of the campaign than most campaigns have in them in the first place :/ Still, I don't regret running it one bit.

You sound like you make a great DM, Claincy! :D I'd be honoured to join one of your games, personally speaking.

Oooh, have you checked out the stories I've posted in this thread?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2016 at 0:24 PM, Quadrophenia said:

Heh heh, really? For good or ill? C'mon, share the juicy details!

Oh, yeah, by the by. 

I was in local game store, right, and this employee who I know named Shaun had to step out to get lunch. So Shaun left and there I was sitting at a table. just sort-of dungeon mastering. When Shaun got back all the characters were hanging from the ceiling of a cylindrical pit by metal chains trying to figure ways to get out

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Oh, yeah, by the by. 

I was in local game store, right, and this employee who I know named Shaun had to step out to get lunch. So Shaun left and there I was sitting at a table. just sort-of dungeon mastering. When Shaun got back all the characters were hanging from the ceiling of a cylindrical pit by metal chains trying to figure ways to get out

Pffft! So, was that intentional, did all that power go to your head or was that all just an honest mistake? XD

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Quadrophenia said:

Pffft! So, was that intentional, did all that power go to your head or was that all just an honest mistake? XD

Mistake. I had no idea what I was doing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Mistake. I had no idea what I was doing.

Like giving the keys to a jumbo jet to... literally anyone XD

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Quadrophenia said:

Like giving the keys to a jumbo jet to... literally anyone XD

Someone like me, who does not know how to fly a plane.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.