soyperson

So, I just finished Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell, which I shall henceforth refer to as Silence, for short. 

Aside from being an excellent novella, and a thrilling story, I noticed some stuff. For example:

Why silver? Silver has never done anything on any other planets. In fact, it's been quite useless on Scadrial. 

Another thing I noticed:

People on Threnody have very basic names, sometimes names that seem incongruous and yet familiar to those of us here on Earth. 

What if, dear readers (and this is a very big if), what they call "silver" on Threnody would be referred to as "aluminum" or possibly "ralkalest" on other worlds?

Also, Threnody seems to be the major contender for the ever-elusive Survival Shard's hiding place, and you can possibly see its effects on the peoples of that world. 

32 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

Sadly, if a Shard was fully embedded in Threnody, we would see people casting spells in some way.  As it is, all we see in SfS are the shades, which are ghosts of people.

The Shard could be on Threnody, but not invested into it. Without investing into Threnody, there would be no Manifestation of Investiture for people to use.

6 hours ago, bleeder said:

Also, Threnody seems to be the major contender for the ever-elusive Survival Shard's hiding place, and you can possibly see its effects on the peoples of that world. 

Shades are a natural product of Threnody's investiture. They aren't the result of a shard investing into Threnody as it is a minor shardworld and therefore has no shards invested in it.

We know that Threnody doesn't have a Shard on it. As for the silver/aluminum theory, it's a popular one, but I don't remember if anyone has ever asked Brandon for a confirmation or not.

I've found SSFH to be a good abbreviation, to distinguish it from Shadows of Self (Mistborn 5) and The Silence Divine (a planned standalone novella).

3 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

We know that Threnody doesn't have a Shard on it. As for the silver/aluminum theory, it's a popular one, but I don't remember if anyone has ever asked Brandon for a confirmation or not.

I've found SSFH to be a good abbreviation, to distinguish it from Shadows of Self (Mistborn 5) and The Silence Divine (a planned standalone novella).

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Silence Divine. 

Thanks!

The problem with the silver/aluminum theory is that 

Mistborn Secret History Spoiler:

Spoiler

Nazh is from Threnody but has an actual silver knife, which he gives to Kelsier. Nazh would know the difference between aluminum and silver by now and Kelsier obviosuly knows the difference. So if "silver" was how aluminum is spelled on Threnody, then in MB:SH, Nazh should be giving Kelsier an aluminum knife. But's it not -- it's a silver knife.

22 minutes ago, Argel said:

The problem with the silver/aluminum theory is that 

Mistborn Secret History Spoiler:

Hide contents

Nazh is from Threnody but has an actual silver knife, which he gives to Kelsier. Nazh would know the difference between aluminum and silver by now and Kelsier obviosuly knows the difference. So if "silver" was how aluminum is spelled on Threnody, then in MB:SH, Nazh should be giving Kelsier an aluminum knife. But's it not -- it's a silver knife.

Oh, yeah, that's correct. I forgot about that :ph34r:

22 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Oh, yeah, that's correct. I forgot about that :ph34r:

You may also notice how Therenody has no way to produce so much Aluminium...They are not very technology advanced, and working the Aluminium without an high tech needs to find it in locations like Volcanos (as the Lord Rules did on Scadrial).

Some time ago I developed a Theory on Therenody an its proximity to Scadrial (and the planet gets some influence by Scadrial magic)...But in the end, it's a pretty frail theory

Edited by Yata

• Chaos locked this topic