Sanderson Elimination: Questions & Answers and Game Meta Discussion

Metacognition

The basic premise of the game is as simple as these guys are saying it is (welcome to our little corner of the 17th btw!). The complexity comes from all of our players. It's the lies and trying to decide who to trust and who to kill that makes these games so crazy. So, in a sense, you guys are to blame and the games can be as complex or as simple as you allow them to be! :P 

I totally understand where you guys are coming from though. When I first heard of Mafia, my mind was blown by all the possibilities and I spent a long time just reading past games on that forum and trying to prepare myself, so let me offer you one piece of advice: nothing can prepare you for these games. There's just something so completely different about being a player, the fact that there are actual consequences to your actions, that you'll never be able to understand as a spectator.

My advice to you is to just jump right in. Even if you feel like you're drowning, we'll help you tread water until you get your feet under you. We have an amazing community of players here. We'll all stab each other in the back in the games, but outside of the games, everyone is incredibly friendly. Thus why I call them all Gentleman Killers. :)

I do hope you give a game a try. We'd love to stab have you! :D

4 hours ago, I_am_a_Stick said:

Thanks a lot @Elbereth @Elenion @Metacognition @Mark IV!!

please let me know (PM or just post it here) when there's a Quiz fix coming up as Elenion said. I think that's best to start with, isn't it? Thanks again! :)

Oh, you can start with any. I started with an LG, which is generally considered the most complicated of the 3. It's a lot easier than it sounds - you try to work out who the bad guys are, or, if you are a bad guy, you try to stop them finding you. Then the GM's (the person/people running the game) will add in more rules to make it interesting.

For reference, you can check out the rules for both here and here. For the most part, I found the general rules quite intuitive going into it anyway, so it's not too hard, especially after you've played for a cycle or two (and a lot of what is there is more convention anyway. If you forget to put OOG stuff in blue text, we're not all instantly going to ostracize you or anything.)

Edited by The Young Bard

3 hours ago, I_am_a_Stick said:

Thanks a lot @Elbereth @Elenion @Metacognition @Mark IV!!

please let me know (PM or just post it here) when there's a Quiz fix coming up as Elenion said. I think that's best to start with, isn't it? Thanks again! :)

There won't be a QF out until MR16 is over, so that will be a couple weeks. How about joining MR16? It looks pretty simple for a SE. If you do want to wait, it's looking right now that the next QF will be Rae's, which is on Sel.

Actually, I'll post something here so it doesn't get lost in the depths of Discord Chat...

A lot of SE players also have Town of Salem accounts, so I've set up a doc. If you want, you can add your name to the list, and then other Sharders can friend you, maybe organise a Town of Salem game if there are enough of you online, etc. Here's the link to the doc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10VkTQT51AOJUeMPbZ7EKRXVX1EuZarYjzcbTQ-qLE-U/edit

53 minutes ago, Elenion said:

There won't be a QF out until MR16 is over, so that will be a couple weeks. How about joining MR16? It looks pretty simple for a SE. If you do want to wait, it's looking right now that the next QF will be Rae's, which is on Sel.

Yeah maybe I should go for that :) (MR16)

• 2 weeks later...

You don't really pick a colour, 'cause there is already some colour based stuff in SE, where black is game talk, and blue is OOG (out of game) talk. Usually used for stuff like if you can't put much effort in the game due to an RL thing. 

Otherwise, yeah, you just go to a sign-up thread (of which there are none right now) and just say something along the lines of 'I'm signing up and this is my character name' etc.

The members of the Village (good) and the Eliminators (bad) are usually decided by random, but the GM might move some players around so that the game is balanced. 

There should be a signup thread in about a week, though. A couple, actually, if I'm right. One will be a QF, which only lasts about a week, and the other will be an LG, which lasts about a month, and is much more in depth (but, that's not to say you'll stay alive for all of it...)

18 minutes ago, The Young Bard said:

There should be a signup thread in about a week, though. A couple, actually, if I'm right. One will be a QF, which only lasts about a week, and the other will be an LG, which lasts about a month, and is much more in depth (but, that's not to say you'll stay alive for all of it...)

If it's my LG that's running next (meaning, if no one is able to go between Elbereth and me+Elbereth so she doesn't have to run two LGs at the same time), the game will be a liiiiittle complex and done RPG-style. Preliminary rules are here, but the final rules will be posted into the signup thread in a couple weeks when the other LG hits Day 6. I don't think anything will change between now and then though, except maybe a couple small tweaks in action costs.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UMYmCRt_-2XW4ebjTHYS5ZhOlCs7XgzM1fpCpWkqOE/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Nyali

3 minutes ago, Nyali said:

If it's my LG that's running next (no one else has stepped up to go between Elbereth and me+Elbereth so she doesn't have to run two LGs at the same time), the game will be a liiiiittle complex and done RPG-style. Preliminary rules are here, but the final rules will be posted into the signup thread in a couple weeks when the other LG hits Day 6. I don't think anything will change between now and then though, except maybe a couple small tweaks in action costs.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UMYmCRt_-2XW4ebjTHYS5ZhOlCs7XgzM1fpCpWkqOE/edit?usp=sharing

Wow... That is... wow. I'm going to enjoy that. LG18 looks like child-play compared to this...

Didn't you say you'd rather do LG27, though? (Also, do you have a co-GM? You'd probably need one with something that complex...)

24 minutes ago, The Young Bard said:

Didn't you say you'd rather do LG27, though? (Also, do you have a co-GM? You'd probably need one with something that complex...)

I did, because Elbereth is my co-gm, and she's running LG25. But, no one has said anything, so I've been assuming I'm running LG26 and doing what I can to make it easier on us.

• 3 weeks later...