Sanderson Elimination: Questions & Answers and Game Meta Discussion

Metacognition

What's the rules for using computer programs that can track player's online times? I was planing on asking Mestiv for a custom sog, but such a custom sig would track who viewed my sig at what time as a side effect. Is that allowed?

The simple answer is no. The more complicated answer is that if you can write a program that can merely expedite something that you are already able to do yourself, that's fine. If you cannot write a program or the program you've written does something that you wouldn't be able to do without the program, you can't use the program.

What this means is that if you have the skills to write programs, you cannot share them with other players--unless you're sharing them with everyone. You also can't have a program do something that you cannot do. Like writing an encryption program where you wouldn't be able to decode the message (or write a new one) without the program. Or checking online times/places of users when you're not online. 

I would like to GM a long game and a QF.

Edit : Well actually, I would like to try out the new GB concept that was talked about in the game creation thread, for the QF. I have a concept for that, that might or might not work.

Edited by Conquestor

1 minute ago, The Only Joe said:

On mobile, mentions are highlighted in black. What would people think about using mentions instead of red text to vote for players?

It might definitely be easier to see the votes like that, with the highlight they get, but I can see that getting very confusing and possibly abused very quickly. While it would give notifications to let you know you've been voted for.... would you really want a separate notification for every vote posted on you? Especially if they get retracted later on?. And how would we change the colors of retracted votes then? I think the redtext/greentext works a lot easier, and is much simpler. But that's just me. :P
Also, you can still mention people to give them a notification at the same time as voting for them, so it'd still be able to accomplish the same thing, without muddling anything else up.

Well, I guess that's one way to get my attention to a topic.... :P

The biggest problem I can see is that some people will want to mention someone to draw their attention to a comment but they don't want to vote for them. And, as Gamma mentioned, retracting would still require coloring.

One possibility is using the highlight feature we have now. Something like this: Joe and Joe. Though it makes it a little hard to read. Maybe bolded? JoeJoeThat has possibilities....

3 minutes ago, little wilson said:

Well, I guess that's one way to get my attention to a topic.... :P

The biggest problem I can see is that some people will want to mention someone to draw their attention to a comment but they don't want to vote for them. And, as Gamma mentioned, retracting would still require coloring.

One possibility is using the highlight feature we have now. Something like this: Joe and Joe. Though it makes it a little hard to read. Maybe bolded? JoeJoeThat has possibilities....

I can't do that on mobile. Still can't even change color without the BBCode. 

2 minutes ago, STINK said:

Cause isn't your whole thing about how on mobile if the colours are kept it'll be impossible/hard to vote?

It's not like it's any different from before. It's just that I have no clue how to highlight text with BBCode so that doesn't let any of the mobile users vote. [ color] is pretty well known by now.