Book Recommendation for Sanderson Fan

Dubisx

His writing style has partially influenced Sanderson (Alcatraz is basically a younger version of one of his books), but Terry Pratchett is a fun guy to read. You can get books of any reading level from him, from children's to adult's. The Diskworld (his main universe, with about forty books in it) is a world, shaped like a disk, on the back of four elephants on the back of a turtle. Magic is real. Orangutans (DON'T call him a monkey) are librarians. Dwarves make weapons from bread. Trolls deal metallic narcotics. Wizards poke at things until they explode. Witches glare at things until they don't explode. A river is so full of junk that you can walk across the surface. Gods are real, but rather stupid. Reformed vampires drink coffee instead of blood. Werewolves become police(wo)men. Complex social issues are addressed in a light-hearted matter. And, very importantly, you learn to not fear Death. He likes curry. And cats.

*cough*

I suggest Pratchett, not for his world-building - which can sometimes be scatterbrained, though it doesn't matter - but for his ability to take our fears and turn them upside down. He does the same thing for prejudice. And he tickles your funny bone. Some quotes, to end my lecture.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

"It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing."

"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armor shouting 'All the Gods are bastards.'"

"The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head."

"The intelligence of the creature known as a crowd, is the square root of the number of people in it."

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."

"Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind."

• 11 months later...
5 hours ago, GellarGreen said:

Not sure if the series has been mentioned yet, but another one to check out that reminded me of Skyward is the Pierce Brown novels, Red Rising. More adult but very entertaining! 

I read that series not that long ago! It's a bit like space Hunger Games, and follows the same trend:

Book 1) Great book, love it

Book 2) Still good, but degrading.

Book 3) Good relatively, but meh in comparison to book one.

• Chaos locked this topic