Who Wants Good Podcast Recs?!

Quadrophenia

So we already have a thread dedicated to the ever awesome Welcome to Night Vale~

The thought occurred to me, then, how about a thread dedicated to all the other amazing podcasts waiting out there in the digital ether? 

I'd like to share my kind of recommendations, if it'd be cool with y'all-

• Lore: A horror podcast dedicated to discovering the truth behind classic folktales and urban legends... and finding that maybe, just maybe, the truth is scarier than fiction.
  • The Myths & Legends Podcast: It's like the above, but for classic myths and legends. 
  • The Thrilling Adventure Hour Podcast: A throwback to the radio serials of yesteryear, starring wonderful comedians like Paul F. Tompkins, Patton Oswalt and Keegan-Michael Key and other amazing comic talents, this is an anthology comedy series dedicated to affectionately parodying sci-fi westerns, noir stories, horror, fairy tales and the like. It's awesome and awesomely funny, can't recommend it enough. 
  • My Favourite Murder: Two very funny women discuss, well, their favourite murders. 
  • Alice isn't Dead: From the same creators behind Welcome to Night Vale comes a wonderful sister show that's actually scarier than its elder sibling.
  • Harmontown: Any Rick & Morty or Community fans here? Dan Harmon's an interesting fella, gotta say.

What do you guys think? 

30 minutes ago, Kurkistan said:

Mike Duncan's The History of Rome is a classic.

I will say that things started to drag a bit towards the fall, but that was more the content's fault than Duncan's, I'd say, and all in all it's an excellent listen.

I've been meaning to get into that. Roman History is one of my favourite subjects.

1 minute ago, Quadrophenia said:

I've been meaning to get into that. Roman History is one of my favourite subjects.

It's good stuff. :)

Fair warning: the first few episodes are a bit rougher than the rest, in terms of both production values and content. As Duncan will oft lament during them, there's a scarcity of actual records during the founding periods, so everything's couched in terms of "legends which almost certainly aren't true say..." Things pick up pretty well after that point, though.

14 minutes ago, Kurkistan said:

It's good stuff. :)

Fair warning: the first few episodes are a bit rougher than the rest, in terms of both production values and content. As Duncan will oft lament during them, there's a scarcity of actual records during the founding periods, so everything's couched in terms of "legends which almost certainly aren't true say..." Things pick up pretty well after that point, though.

I'll bear that in mind! 

Within the Wires: also from the writers of WTNV, only listened to the first two episodes so far, but it seems to be just as surreal and bizarre as you expect it to be.

Midnight Marinara: They take creepy pasta from the internet and turn them into creepy radio plays, with some originals. There is also Undercooked Analysis where they cold read creepy pasta and put it to literary analysis and no matter if what they are reading is good or bad it is always very, very funny. I have found myself laughing too hard to actually work several times.

The Message: An 8 episode long sci-fi podcast about a group of decoders trying to crack an alien message, that is cursed, because of course it is. While I have some gripes about the story it is still a short, interesting listen.

3 hours ago, Zathoth said:

Within the Wires: also from the writers of WTNV, only listened to the first two episodes so far, but it seems to be just as surreal and bizarre as you expect it to be.

Midnight Marinara: They take creepy pasta from the internet and turn them into creepy radio plays, with some originals. There is also Undercooked Analysis where they cold read creepy pasta and put it to literary analysis and no matter if what they are reading is good or bad it is always very, very funny. I have found myself laughing too hard to actually work several times.

The Message: An 8 episode long sci-fi podcast about a group of decoders trying to crack an alien message, that is cursed, because of course it is. While I have some gripes about the story it is still a short, interesting listen.

Within the Wires is legit, and I've heard about The Message... I have been meaning to give it a whirl one of these days.

Oh, hey, want a great narrative podcast?

9 minutes ago, Quadrophenia said:

Within the Wires is legit, and I've heard about The Message... I have been meaning to give it a whirl one of these days.

Oh, hey, want a great narrative podcast?

It is definitely worth a listen, even if I didnt love it.

Yes.

1 hour ago, Zathoth said:

It is definitely worth a listen, even if I didnt love it.

Yes.

Have you ever heard of "Hello from the Magic Tavern?" It's a narrative comedy podcast. 

The premise? A guy accidentally drives through a magical portal behind a Burger King in Chicago and winds up in the magical land of Foon, a Narnia/Middle-Earth/WoW-esque fantasy world. Luckily, he just happened to have his podcasting equipment with him, so he quickly set up shop in a local pub called the Vermillion Minotaur. While he can't drive back to Earth or even walk through it, the portal is now just big enough to allow a slight wifi signal to seep through from the Burger King. So, he uses this opportunity to record interviews at the tavern with all sorts of colourful characters, along with his two best friends in this world (a talking badger and a hammy parody of Gandalf). 

It's awesome, I love it. 

5 hours ago, Dankness Ascendant said:

My mate loves Rick and Morty, shall rec to him!

The basic gist of Harmontown is that Dan Harmon, his friend and Whose Line Is it? alumni Jeff Davis get together on stage, drink heavily, interview audience members, rant about anything that comes to mind (pop culture, politics, race, gender), and sometimes play tabletop games like Dungeons & Dragons and Shadowrun.

Speaking of which, Dan recently produced a show that animated his D&D adventures...

No Such Thing as a Fish: Some of the Elves (ie researchers) from the British panel show QI share their favorite facts they learned in the last week. Very funny, and.... quite interesting.

Radiolab: Very interesting and moving stories, about almost any topic you could think of. One of the classics, it may even have been a podcast before the word podcast was invented.

Edited by Eki

On 2016-10-11 at 3:08 AM, Quadrophenia said:

Have you ever heard of "Hello from the Magic Tavern?" It's a narrative comedy podcast. 

The premise? A guy accidentally drives through a magical portal behind a Burger King in Chicago and winds up in the magical land of Foon, a Narnia/Middle-Earth/WoW-esque fantasy world. Luckily, he just happened to have his podcasting equipment with him, so he quickly set up shop in a local pub called the Vermillion Minotaur. While he can't drive back to Earth or even walk through it, the portal is now just big enough to allow a slight wifi signal to seep through from the Burger King. So, he uses this opportunity to record interviews at the tavern with all sorts of colourful characters, along with his two best friends in this world (a talking badger and a hammy parody of Gandalf). 

It's awesome, I love it. 

"I am Usidore, Wizard of the 12th Realm of Ephysiyies, Master of Light and Shadow, Manipulator of Magical Delights, Devourer of Chaos, Champion of the Great Halls of Terr'akkas. The elves know me as Fi’ang Yalok. The dwarves know me as Zoenen Hoogstandjes. I am also known in the Northeast as Gaismunēnas Meistar."

XD XD XD

Spoiler

Sword sex XD XD XD

11 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

"I am Usidore, Wizard of the 12th Realm of Ephysiyies, Master of Light and Shadow, Manipulator of Magical Delights, Devourer of Chaos, Champion of the Great Halls of Terr'akkas. The elves know me as Fi’ang Yalok. The dwarves know me as Zoenen Hoogstandjes. I am also known in the Northeast as Gaismunēnas Meistar."

XD XD XD

Reveal hidden contents

Sword sex XD XD XD

Hoobastank!