Heralds, Perks and Squire [WoB from Reddit]

Yata

Recently Mister Sanderson replied to an interesting question on Reddit. The Question alone would be a bit interesting but his answer have some cool extras:

[–]Ray745I claim them, as I now claim your life 4 punti 6 ore fa* 

Quick question since you seem to be in a charitable mood this evening :) You have stated that each Knights Radiant order gets their own unique ability, for lack of a better word, due to the combination of their surges. For instance, you have stated this ability for the Windrunners is strength of squires. My question - is this due to the Nahel bond, or just inherent in the surges combining. Would a non-Radiant get these abilities from the Honorblades, or would they be out of luck due to no Nahel bond?

Thanks in advance!

Oh and also, WoR

[–]mistborn 2 punti un'ora fa 

Good question! The unique abilities have more to do with the powers interacting, same as how twinborn will often manifest some odd side effects of the powers interacting. But there are limitations. For example, Jezrien didn't actually have any squires, as none of the Heralds did.

First of all we have a confirm that someone may get the Surgebinder's perks also through the Honorblades and it's not something unique to the Nahel bond.

But the part I feel really spicy is this: "For example, Jezrien didn't actually have any squires, as none of the Heralds did."

This sentence may have a couple of interpretations:

- Heralds never had Squires

- Heralds has no Squires now

Both are pretty interesting (of course the first more) because this mean that modern Nale's Skybreaker can't be his Squires. This mean that if we see someone of the drawn in stormlight, They must to have a RK at least.

Much more (to me) this WoB destroy the possibility of a Szeth as Squire of Nale as a way for him to be capable of Breath Stormlight to use Nightblood.

8 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

That's interesting, but Nale probably saw Szeth as someone who exemplified what the Skybreakers stood for.

Yes but this WoB removes one of the possible theories about "how would Szeth manage to use fully Nightblood?"

6 hours ago, Yata said:

This sentence may have a couple of interpretations:

- Heralds never had Squires

- Heralds has no Squires now

6 hours ago, Yata said:

Jezrien didn't actually have any squires, as none of the Heralds did.

It sounds like he means that the Heralds never had squires.

Good catch on this WoB, have an upvote.

16 minutes ago, Argent said:

Cool, thank you for this. I think this implies a few things about the nature of the Squires, but I would like to think about that a little more.

Yeah but I have a tons of doubt about.

For example is the Nahel's bond more flexible and able to "grow/develop" through The Radiant to reach other people more Connected to him ?

My Mind is about to blow (and my heart also, because I was really confident in Szeth as pseudo-Radiant with Nightblood+Nale's squire's Abilities) for the possibile implications

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2016 at 8:48 AM, Argent said:

Cool, thank you for this. I think this implies a few things about the nature of the Squires, but I would like to think about that a little more.

Now I'm curious if what you're thinking is along the lines of what I'm thinking.  If Brandon ever quantitatively answers which Orders do and do not have Squires, it'd at least give me a better hint. >.>

Edited by dvoraen

• Chaos locked this topic