Mid-Range Game 17: Hic Sunt Leones

Amanuensis

26 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I'm not retracting my accusation against you just yet, Chaos, but I want to see how others feel.  We can try the other inactives if we're convinced, but I still feel the reasoning behind choosing Chaos over jefry or Straw is relatively sound.  It feels like a bit of a shot in the dark either way, though (and perhaps Chaos would truly be grateful if we let her step away from the game. :))

Jefry's gone basically completely silent.  I don't know what's happening there.  I would like to hear his side of it.

I think the opinions of others are pretty clear RN, seeing how many people are cheering you right now, but I'l put in my two cents.  I think Chaos has been pretty quiet, as well as being pretty new at the game.  I personally would like to lynch Burnt, but I'm still looking over that.  Maybe next cycle.  I'm cheering for you because I feel like Chaos is a decent choice, and I think that the defense they have made does not warrant dropping the lynch.  Also, from how it seems, it would probably be doing them a favor.  I'd say the same thing about Straw, but I'm wondering if @Amanuensis will throw in a pinch hitter?  Probably not this late in the game, but I'd like to see.

I would also like to say my greatest suspicions are of Bard, Burnt, and Len.  Burnt has defended herself somewhat, but mostly just by attacking me.  I think that her reasons at the time were decent, but I defended myself well, and now I don't know what she's doing.  Her being quiet is a good cover for being an Elim, and mostly I think it's a good idea to start a lynch on her to see where other people stand.  Bard has been pretty quiet as well, but no RP.   Just some game related discussion.  My suspicion of him is mostly gut, but that's really all I have at thus point.  Len has been acting oddly most of this game.  If I could start a lynch, I think that next cycle I would either start one on Burnt or Len.

1 minute ago, Magestar said:

Jefry's gone basically completely silent.  I don't know what's happening there.  I would like to hear his side of it.

I'm trying to get him to post, but he's got some cleaning and family stuff to do, he's writing a response, but he has to keep pausing. He will typically play as much as i do because i'm the only reason he began playing. I will try and convince him to keep playing even when i can't though he also has a lot of school stuff to take care of.

1 hour ago, The_Lady_of_Chaos said:

Look, i haven't playing much lately because i've had so much because i'm just beginning freshman year, and i haven't gotten used to the amount of stress that's been going on around me at home. I am a faithful Lune, i haven't asked about most of the people so i only have a few figured out. I can see why i'm being seen as suspicious and part of me wants to let this happen because it would remove one more thing for me to worry about, but my brother will be extremely upset with me if i just die. You can lynch me if you want. It'd probably be doing me a favor, but i do realise that it wouldn't be helping you guys, so i'm going to defend myself because i don't want my incompetence to affect if the faithfuls can win or lose.

If game impact is the question, you have done more than Straw this game...

Chaos, would you mind disclosing to the thread the houses of anyone you've scanned so far?

As i said i haven't done much because i for get to, i have 2 people's houses: Dani is house Thorne and Lucius is house Acros. I'm sorry if you 2 didn't want me to say that, but i'm kinda a target here and i really don't want to die because i definently know that i am faithful, and i have no idea about you 2. So i'm just kinda doing what ever i can to get my head off the chopping block. I'm sorry. Also if you guys want me to check anyone in specific, i have yet to put my actions in this turn.

Jefry stood up abruptly.

"Quintus, what did she do? what quarrel do you have with Tenebrum? She has been in shock this whole time because people have been dying all around her! And furthermore you clearly don't know what you are talking about because we aren't siblings!" Jefry yelled back. "I don't know where you got that information or if you assumed it but Tenebrum is innocent. What I will tell you is that we have known each other since childhood. We know each other really well and I know she did not do anything!"

With that Jefry sat down patiently waiting Quintus's response.

1 minute ago, The_Lady_of_Chaos said:

As i said i haven't done much because i for get to, i have 2 people's houses: Dani is house Thorne and Lucius is house Acros. I'm sorry if you 2 didn't want me to say that, but i'm kinda a target here and i really don't want to die because i definently know that i am faithful, and i have no idea about you 2. So i'm just kinda doing what ever i can to get my head off the chopping block. I'm sorry. Also if you guys want me to check anyone in specific, i have yet to put my actions in this turn.

Thanks: now we have confirmation that Magestar is actually an Arcos. Dani died a few cycles ago, so the write-up confirmed that she was Thorne.

Since Chaos would be useful to us as a scanner to detect roles like Raths and Arcoses, I'm for letting her stick around. Jondesu

1 minute ago, The_Lady_of_Chaos said:

As i said i haven't done much because i for get to, i have 2 people's houses: Dani is house Thorne and Lucius is house Acros. 

Well, Danii's dead, so that's proven, and you just confirmed what I've been telling people, so that's good news for me. :D  I think that's enough to prove your a Lune to me, at least, but I'm not so sure about getting your head off the block.  If Jondesu decides to, he can, but I still don't see a reason not to lynch you.  If you are actually a villager, then I'll be terribly sorry.  I'm not sure what the probability of you and Wonko being on the same team is, but I'd like to see your alignment.

I'm not sure who I'd like you to scan.  If you do end up being lynched, it won't matter.

Just now, Elenion said:

Since Chaos would be useful to us as a scanner to detect roles like Raths and Arcoses, I'm for letting her stick around. Jondesu

Meh.  I guess that would be nice.  I'm going to leave my vote on Jondesu, and let him decide whether to cancel or not.

Yeah, I'm not convinced by the reveal of roles. That confirms she's almost certainly a Lune (though those roles are already known, one by death and the other admitted here, so it could be a false claim), but being house Lune doesn't clear her. I don't know how much use a scanner would really be anyways, with as many houses out in the open, and I'm going to keep my accusation and the duel open.

15 minutes ago, The_Lady_of_Chaos said:

If you want to make you know that i'm a lune, if i some how survive this i can look into you and be able to say what house you are to prove myself.

We're almost positive you're a Lune; the problem is that it tells us nothing about whether you're village or Forsworn.

Edited by Elenion
Accidentally put 'for' instead of 'or'

Just now, The_Lady_of_Chaos said:

Oh, well, can you explain the best way for me to prove that? cause i honestly have no idea... I'll tell you any information that you ask about me or my character.

The only real way to do that is to be instrumental in the killing of an eliminator. For example, in the last QF people trusted me because I helped kill both Bard and DA. In this game it's problematic for you because you haven't been on and contributing for most of it, so we have no evidence for or against you being Forsworn except your activity level and your role, both of which are implying Forsworn. But because we're low on leads except for Magestar who's unlynchable, we have to start checking the lurkers for suspicion, and you are the most suspicious one.

Oh... I'm not sure how to react against that... I've never been an active player in any sort of game that i play and on one such as this where i have so much other things going on there isn't even enough time to be active even if i wanted to. Last time i was a bit more enthusiastic about the game as you saw because i lot less stuff was going on at home, but now i'm not sure if i can pay much attention to the game because i'll always be distracted. And even last time, i don't think i ever voted and only killed someone once and that was the last kill. I just don't want my death to have too much of an outcome on the results. And there are already a lot of people dead so i don't think that killing off another faithful is a good idea. I'm not sure how much help i can be, but i do realise that my death could be harmful. I don't know much about the stragity of this game, but i do think that it's better to have more alive than dead.

Just now, The_Lady_of_Chaos said:

I don't know much about the strategy of this game, but i do think that it's better to have more alive than dead.

The voting on you has had me in a mental debate for the past couple of hours: if you are a villager I don't want to diminish our numbers, but you could be a Forsworn and this is our chance to set your team back a player. I'm going with my gut feeling, which is that you are a Forsworn Lune. I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

Khazad stalked the hallways looking for any trace of Tiberius. A small crowd of others followed behind him, some looking vengeful, some afraid, and some expressionless with shock. The first place to check was the main entrance, so Khazad went there first, singling out a bored-looking guard stationed there.

"Have you seen Tiberius any time within the last two hours?"

"Yes, sir! He was heading for the kitchens. I don't know why he would, though..."

Khazad departed before the guard even finished speaking. He made a direct path for the kitchens, taking every step with fervor and an aura that created a ten-foot bubble around him that was empty of people.

This whole mess stinks of foul play. Why would Tiberius go towards the kitchens? A familiar voice spoke in Khazad's head.

"Maybe he was hungry."

He has servants for that. My experience tells me that there is something more going on.

"What experience? This is unlike anything I've seen before."

It may be unlike what you have seen, but I have seen many things more than what you have seen. I have both seen men killed and killed them themselves.

"What are you?"

Not what, who. I was a god, once. Now I am almost nothing, a figure of thought. I am looking for those who did this to me, the same ones who wish to kill Tiberius. And when I find them, you will kill them for me.

33 minutes ago, The_Lady_of_Chaos said:

Than i accept your apology ahead of time. I see why you have such distrust in me, and i don't think i can argue against it.

It'll be a learning experience for both you and me either way. :)

Chapter 7 will close on Tuesday, October 25th at 8PM EST! Chapter 8 will begin approximately two hours later!

red_1477440000.png

Chapter 7: Love Lost, Faith Found

Tenebrum did not cry when Quintus came for her. She didn't even cry when she saw Lucius support the Gold with the lisp. But when Jefry offered to fight the man in her place, she couldn't help but cry. He was too good for her. Had always been too good for her. Perhaps that was the reason, she now realized, why she could never bring herself to feel the same way about him as he did her.

Jefry embraced her tightly, knowing that no matter what she answered, this would be the last time he could hold her and be held back. Every time her body shook with fear and grief, he clenched tighter, thinking it would calm her, though it only seemed to make her crying worse.

Between sobs, Tenebrum told him no. "I've never been," choke, "very strong," whimper, "but I am still," sniff, "Peerless Scarred." Jefry's heart sunk into the pit of his stomach. Despite knowing her well enough to expect the answer, he still had hope that she would say yes. Quintus wasn't so much stronger than him, and Jefry was undeniably better with a blade. Ever since the Institute he had been training especially hard so that he could spend his life protecting the woman of his dreams.

"You can beat him," Jefry lied, then kissed her hair. "You're stronger than you look, Tenny. I believe in you."

"Are you two just about done?" said Lucius, growing impatient and irate from the crying and displays of affection. A wave of anger crashed into Jefry, nearly causing him to spin on the Arcos, if not for his best friend reaching him first. She really was stronger than she looked, Jefry noted, surprised by how easily she pried herself from his grasp and how far Lucius recoiled from the slap she dealt him. Stunned but eyes brimming with rage, he stared at the woman and then, eventually, turned to Quintus when he realized there was nothing left to be said between them.

"Just kill the useless Pixie already, Quint, so we can join Khazad's search for Tiberius."

Nodding, Quintus uncoiled his razor from his arm and stepped between the two of them, prompting Tenebrum to step backwards and draw her weapon as well. "Well, Lune. You never anthered my quethon. Perhapth you'd anther my blade!"

Hard as it was to take the Gold serious when he talked, it was much easier when he started swinging his blade. Each of his blows could easily cleave a tree in two, and yet somehow Tenebrum was managing to fend them off, using her speed and his momentum to deflect his attacks. After a few exchanges which always left her unscathed and him bleeding from a fresh - albeit shallow - gash, the young Lune's confidence swelled. Jefry was right. She could beat him. For the first time in her life, Tenebrum had faith in herself. Smiling as she dodged another swing, she glanced at Jefry, who was pumping his arms in the air and cheering her name, and Lucius a few feet over, watching the fight with quiet disdain.

I never needed him anyway. If only I realized sooner that all I needed was faith.

If only she found it sooner.

At least she died believing in herself, her last sight being her best friend's beautiful grin.

Crouched over her decapitated corpse, Tenebrum's head cradled in his arms, Jefry swore to himself that he would avenge her.

The_Lady_of_Chaos was Tenebrum au Lune, a Faithful lancer in the ArchGovernor's Employ. She was slain by Quintus, who was cheered on by LuciusKhazad, and NirgalTenebrum's whisperGem contained the following message:

Elenion was Khazad au Rath, a Forsworn lancer secretly working for Imperator Augustus. He was slain by the Carved Red. Khazad's whisperGem contained the following message:

I could help you villagers, but because it was Doc's outing me to Wonko that got me in this boat in the first place I won't. Peace out.

-Troll!Len

Quicksilver's Coffers

• (4) jamField(s)5 Merit: Any device that is used within close proximity of you and another lancer you target is disabled (not destroyed). This can interfere with a Lunes research, but no other House ability.
  • (4) stunFist(s)10 Merit: Stun another lancer, preventing them from taking any further actions this Chapter. If your target is protected by a pulseShield they will not be stunned, although their pulseShield will be destroyed.
  • (4) fleshMask(s)15 Merit: Disguise yourself as another lancer, preventing any action that would be used against you at the cost of potentially becoming the target of an action that would target the lancer you disguise yourself as. Likewise, any further action you take will be observed as being executed by the lancer you impersonate.
  • (3) ghostCloak(s)15 Merit: Stealth yourself, causing any action that targets you to fail. In addition, you can stalk another lancer to discover the targets and actions they make, but you yourself are unable to take any more actions.
  • (2) pulseShield(s), 20 Merit: Passively protects you from a single death (includes duels).
  • (1) ionBlade(s)25 Merit: A generic, energy-based weapon that's perfect for assassinations.

Dramatis Personae

1. Darkness Ascendant as Pierce au Fabii
  2. Daniyah as Dimsari au Thorne
  3. Doctor12 as Spartacus au Thorne
  4. Assassin in Burgundy as The Jackal
  5. Magestar as Lucius
  6. Wonko the Sane as Sanis au Julii
  7. Jondesu as Quintus
  8. AliasSheep as Nirgal
  9. I_am_a_Stick as Stick
  10. livinglegend as Rylos au Telemanus
  11. Bugsy6912 as Sevro au Bellona
  12. The_Lady_of_Chaos as Tenebrum au Lune
  13. Elenion as Khazad au Rath
  14. The Young Bard as Gregor
  15. TheMightyLopen as Priam
  16. Burnt Spaghetti as Tia
  17. Arraenae as Nyanah au Thorne
  18. Elbereth as Lumina au Julii
  19. Doxis as Morsde
  20. jefrywlfersn as Jefry
Edited by Amanuensis

Aman invited me to post my own death scene, so here goes:

Khazad raced down the corridor towards the kitchens, abandoning companionship for speed. The others dropped off from behind him, one by one, until they were all gone. However, despite the furious pace he set, Khazad hadn't even decided what he was going to do when he reached Tiberius. Would he kill him, as his companions had suggested to him? Or would he tell him the truth: disclose everything that he knew about the Forsworn in exchange for amnesty? It was all so complicated...

Khazad reached the kitchens, bursting through the door that separated the servants from the Golds. He stopped, scanning the room quickly. Nobody was there--no Tiberius, no servants, no noise. All was deathly-silent. Khazad grew increasingly paranoid. He reached for his razor, but his hand grasped only thin air.

It was then that Khazad saw the figure on the other side of the room, a crouching lancer wearing no mask but instead an even-more-frightening expression. The lancer suddenly stood, drew an IonBlade and came charging at Khazad, stabbing the blade through Khazad's abdomen. Surprised by the speed of his attacker, Khazad flailed for his spare knife, but the sheer force and ferocity of the blow threw him to the ground on his back, bleeding heavily. He felt the knife beneath him on the floor: an uncomfortable pressure in the small of his back. But the sudden, searing pain in his chest prevented him from rolling over to get to it. The lancer stooped, inspecting the wound, then left the kitchens. It would be gone before the others arrived.

"Why... why didn't you warn me?" Khazad addressed that terrible voice in his head.

Because you were one of the ones who made me like this. You were one of them! And I trusted you to kill them!

"But I... not truly with them... my house... could have left!" The pain came on in waves, making Khazad unable to think or speak clearly.

It does not matter what you could have done. It only matters what you did.

"I don't... understand..." Khazad's breathing grew increasingly labored, "What... I... did..."

The voice gave no answer.

So I was figuring out that Elenion was Forsworn, but I don't know who else did and had a way to take him out. Well done! Sad our suspicions about Chaos were incorrect, and with Elenion and Mage being big parts of the discussion that led me to that path, I'm concerned we're being backed into a corner despite this victory (really not a good deal for us, though). Did anyone find out anything else useful based on your items or anything you were able to do? In fact, anyone wish to claim Elenion's death (publicly or privately)?

Oh, and Aman, thanks for writing the lisp so well! :D

Editing so I don't triple post: Is there meant to be significance to us in The Carved Red? Red Rising spoilers:

Spoiler

Does Darrow au Andromedus serve Tiberius instead of Nero?

I didn't remember a mention of that part in the write up.

Edited by Jondesu