Mid-Range Game 17: Hic Sunt Leones

Amanuensis

I'm sorry i didn't post at all yesterday. I was on a retreat all weekend and couldn't use my phone or laptop. I'll try and post some more this time. I did manage to get actions in so my merit wasn't affected. Also i heard that some people were asking for it the day before, I currently have 11 merit and haven't bought anything.

Edited by The_Lady_of_Chaos

Jefry watched as Spartacus ran out the door after Sanis, and quickly followed. Too much had happened to let Sanis slip away from this! After Jefry had gotten out into the hallway he heard Tenebrum yell. Jefry turned around in both shock and fear for her and ran as fast as he could back to the room. looking around, he couldn't see her and started walking around just looking for anyone that might be her. After some frantic searching, he saw her hugging Lucius.

"Why did I leave without her!? I shouldn't have left! At least someone she knows was there, but it should have been me. I'm such and idiot, what would i have done if i were to catch up with him anyway. I can't to anything to help! I should have just stayed in here to comfort her. She's been through a lot she'll need a close friend, closer than Lucius at least."

The sudden commotion roused Khazad from his sleep. He was not sure when he had fallen asleep, but judging by the rancid taste in his mouth he had fallen asleep while eating. He looked down and saw a fruit bowl in front of him. He pushed it away in disgust, almost gagging at the taste in his mouth. He hadn't tasted anything that bad since--

Sanis killed Lumina!

Khazad replied audibly, still groggy, "Eh? Less competitio--WHAT?"

That's what I said. Did I mention Sanis did it?

Khazad swore to nobody in particular and jumped up from his seated position. His muscles creaked in protest as he rose suddenly, but they held. Days upon days of running to meetings late had made them strong. Khazad ran to Lumina's body and drew from its concealed sheath a bola. Khazad remembered it well: she had used it on him before. Back when--

Umm... focus! Murderer escaping!

Khazad let his train of thought crash gloriously as his mind suddenly switched to guard mode. Racing into the hallway, he swung the bola haphazardly as he crashed through a host of stunned lancers, some reduced to tears. Khazad hadn't known Lumina that well: nobody had. But she had earned his respect in their first duel. Khazad was going to make it even by bringing her killer to justice.

Ahead of Khazad, Sanis' pace flagged. He obviously wasn't used to protracted running like Khazad was. Khazad took careful aim and released the bola. Although it wasn't a direct hit (Khazad had always been a bad shot with a bola), it was enough to knock Sanis off-blance. Suddenly, Khazad was passed by two forms: Spartacus and Gregor. Both moved with superhuman speed to accost the fallen traitor. Both carried dueling swords. Khazad stopped. He had done his duty. He had stopped the traitor. Now, he stood back as Spartacus and Gregor both extended their dueling challenges.

I cheer Spartacus. I want to make sure that as much merit stays in village hands as possible, and I trust Doc over Bard.

That said, I'm unsure as to why El was suspicious of Rae, unless... she knew something that we don't.

I have 36 merit.

Nyanah stared blankly at Lumina's dead body. At the face of the woman who had just tried to kill her, according to Lumina's fabrial recording. Someone else. Dead.

Nyanah had witnessed many men and women die -- in fact, she'd just killed someone a few hours ago. But witnessing a death never got any easier.

SHE DIED BRAVELY, the Stormfather said.

"She still died," Nyanah snapped.

YES, SHE DID, the Stormfather said. DON'T LET HER DEATH GO TO WASTE. DON'T LET THE PEOPLE HERE BE DIVIDED OVER HER DEATH.

Nyanah nodded curtly. Lumina had died in a duel with Sanis, a Foresworn. If the Foresworn weren't caught and killed soon, this place would be torn apart by suspicion and death. Nyanah had sworn an oath against it. 

And so it was that Nyanah, on a world she did not know, empty of Stormlight, swore to find the Foresworn, and kill them.

Sorry, y'all, a wedding and several other RL distractions kept me occupied most of last cycle and I didn't get to read through everything until it was over. I'm a bit baffled by Rae jumping on me and glad it didn't go anywhere since I wasn't around.

Also, since we have no doubt about Wonko's allegiance after that RP (awesomely written @Amanuensis), here's my official cheer for Gregor (Bard)

Edited by Jondesu
Edited to include the character name

29 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Also, since we have no doubt about Wonko's allegiance after that RP (awesomely written @Amanuensis), here's my official cheer for Bard

Read the tags :P Most if it was written by @Elbereth, since she had wanted to RP the battle with Wonko. I had her write the scene and her victory, but then modified the end to fit what actually happened.

4 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Read the tags :P Most if it was written by @Elbereth, since she had wanted to RP the battle with Wonko. I had her write the scene and her victory, but then modified the end to fit what actually happened.

Nice. What tags do you refer to, though?

1 minute ago, Jondesu said:

Nice. What tags do you refer to, though?

Right beneath the name of the thread there should be three tags. "mr17" "someone catch sanis before he can get away" and "and upvote El for writing her victory scene".

Edited by Amanuensis

Tia stood in silence. It had been an eventful ‘meeting’.... Sevros head on a platter...Tiberius not showing up… Lumina challenging Sanis… but. This? This was unexpected, and something inside of her burned with rage at the outcome. How dare Sanis emerge victorious! Lumina was meant to win! The duel was meant to end with two Forsworn being dead!! But, the duel had resulted in the total opposite. Sanis was alive and Lumina was dead. Lumina. And Nyanah had been injured. And now Sanis was running. Wonderful… she watched as lancers began to give chase, each itching to be the one to end this traitor's life. She didn't care which got that honour, just provided that they were successful. She’d go cheer later on. Her gaze was drawn back to the severed head, and her thoughts to Tiberius. Part of her almost felt like seeking him out. He'd been so kind to her while she'd been under his care and she felt pity for the man, who had lost a lot in such a short amount of time. But no… if he didn't want to talk to or see his lancers, then she should respect that and not pester him. She sighed, her attention returning to those going after Sanis. One thing about these events had made her realise another thing though. Now was by far not the time for pranks. With the building enmity and bloodshed, Tia was starting to hope she regained all her memories soon. She had a feeling she might need the strength of Vesta, and not the playfulness of Tia.

16 hours ago, Doctor12 said:

Was Wonko a Julii after all? He could have been an Arcos. The Pulseshield comment could have been to throw us off.

About this. @Amanuensis, let's suppose of Wonko is an Arcos. Will he still survive in a situation where more than one player has challenged him to a duel? Like we have right now? Bard and Darkness both have.

Edit: Oh and Bard.

Edited by I_am_a_Stick

@Doctor12, what was the gambit Elbereth mentioned in her whispergem

Looking back on the thread, a few things stuck out to me.

Cycle 2

Lopen: How exactly are we meant to trust the Julii appointed to steal from the highest Merit earning player? That is the basis of the plan after all, and given that there's no real evidence to trust anyone yet, I'd say that's a fairly big roadblock for the plan. I mean, if Doc/Bugsy think they're Faithful, that's all well and good, but there will always be doubt about them and any player they "soft-clear" using this method. Of course, we could eventually kill the Julii if we get enough soft-cleared people so that if they turn up as village, the soft-cleared group actually becomes soft-cleared, but, it kinda seemed like people are already willing to trust Doc/Bugsy's Julii, which is confusing me. I feel like I'm missing something here.

Edit: Dang, Cycle is ending right now. Well, I do think it's a pretty good plan all things considered, so I'm fine with it the way it stands

I trust Lopen a little more this. If he was Foresworn, I don't think he'd be so quick to doubt the plan, because he'd want the Julii (Wonko) to be able to freely give out potentially false information and have the authenticity of the information be trusted. On the other hand, it could be a distancing tactic, but that doesn't seem as likely.

Magestar:

Alright.  Seriousness now.  I honestly don't know what to think of lynching Bugsy.  I can't think of anyone better; it's D1.  And there are already reasons to lynch him.  I don't see a good reason not to, but I think I'll reserve my vote for now.

This.  This, and the fact that the current lynch suspect has Elbereth on his most trusted list.  I tend to start the game not trusting anyone, so things like this make me wary.  Also, the correlation between the way Bugsy has brought up fun to defend his actions, and Elbereth has done to defend hers.  It just seems like too much of a coincidence to me.  This is one of the reasons I could see it being a good idea to lynch Bugsy, but I don't think I'll cheer for anyone this cycle.  

On another note, it's nice to see how many items there are.  I don't know that anyone will have enough to buy them D1, but it's nice to see that there's plenty

Magestar said that he didn't see a good reason not to vote on Bugsy, but he didn't vote anyways. He also tried to put suspicion on Elbereth. The second thing is something that could be done as either a faithful or a Foresworn, so not alignment indicative. However, the first is suspicious, now that we know Bugsy was a Foresworn.

Sheep: So I may have been exaggerating just a little bit there.  It loses its use a bit due to the fact that people will be able to purchase ionBlades, meaning that, especially for the highest Merit poster, it might be possible to get false positives with people buying ionBlades.  There are solutions to that, but most involve revealing information that is useful more to the elims than to the village.

Sheep casts doubt on the Julii plan. I trust him a little bit more for this, for the same reason that I trust Lopen a little more.

Edited by Arraenae
Formatting with quotes

1 hour ago, I_am_a_Stick said:

About this. @Amanuensis, let's suppose of Wonko is an Arcos. Will he still survive in a situation where more than one player has challenged him to a duel? Like we have right now? Bard and Darkness both have.

Edit: Oh and Bard.

Only a single duel will occur every Chapter, regardless of if multiple players initiate one.

Doc. Bard. This seems to be the duel that most others will be voting on, and if Wonko does turn out to be Arcos than I'd rather lose Bard than Doc. (Sorry Bard :D).

2 hours ago, Arraenae said:

I trust Lopen a little more this. If he was Foresworn, I don't think he'd be so quick to doubt the plan, because he'd want the Julii (Wonko) to be able to freely give out potentially false information and have the authenticity of the information be trusted. On the other hand, it could be a distancing tactic, but that doesn't seem as likely.

This is logical as long as Wonko is actually a Julii. If Wonko turns out to be an Arcos this whole reasoning falls apart. But I'm personally betting he's Julii, if that means anything.

Alright, RL distractions are mostly over, so I can RP and discuss a bit more now.  My medical issues (see the Bad Day thread if you're curious) will still mean I might be a bit erratic in when I can get the energy to post, but I'll do my best.

Quintus still reeled from the unexpected turn of events.  Of course, he wasn't that surprised that Sanis was prepared enough to have a pulseShield, but seeing Lumina's blade shatter against it, then immediately finding his dagger buried in her neck, had still been disturbing to say the least.  Spartacus had scooped her up almost immediately, and when he shouted for someone to wake the Yellows, Quintus sprinted towards the medbay.  He considered himself to be proficient with the razor, but he had no illusions about what would happen if he was the one to catch Sanis; pulseShield or no, Sanis would cut him to pieces without much effort, even winded.

At the Yellow's quarters attached to the medical facility, Quintus banged on doors and roused the doctors.  One groggily rolled over and tried to go back to sleep, so Quintus bodily lifted her onto his shoulders and carried her to the surgery room where Lumina was already being placed on the table, and injected her with a stim to wake her up promptly.  He then slipped out of the room while they worked, heading back to his room to lock the door and barricade himself inside, then figure out a plan of action.  Tiberius was threatened by assassins; not unusual perhaps, but certainly concerning when they involved his own lancers, and now the effort to root out any remaining conspirators had to become the top priority.

Hours later, with little in the way of a true plan worked out, Quintus finally worked up the courage to leave his rooms and head back to the med bay to check on Lumina. Instead of finding her synthSkin healing and her resting quietly in the bed, however, he found a pool of blood underneath her neck, her body cold and long dead.  After confirming she was truly gone, he stumbled back out into the hallway and gasped to the first person he saw, "Lumina's been murdered!  Again!"  He hoped Lucius would jump to action as he blurted out the words, but Quintus himself had little strength to move.  Lumina had been skilled and brave, but she'd had no chance as her throat was cut, probably still asleep from the sedatives administered during the surgery.  He nearly collapsed from the realization, leaning heavily against the wall.  No one was safe, not unless they were constantly on their guard, and his own defenses would be ineffective against an assassin would could so easily penetrate the med bay without being seen or heard.  Perhaps they have a ghostCloak, but even so, that would have been a difficult task.  He doubted Sanis was able to take on such a subtle attack, so there was certainly another lancer loyal to Nero au Augustus instead of Tiberius, and Quintus would need help if he wanted to protect his liege.  But who could he trust?

Alright, there's some RP from me.  As for game discussion, I already cheered this round, but while we have that pretty much wrapped up, I like that we're attempting to continue some discussion about what next.  Most of my feelings on players is just instinct and growing feelings, since I haven't had much discussion with other players (only a few PMs so far, with little in the way of reveals, though I've passed on some of what I've learned privately).  I find myself agreeing with some of Rae's instincts, about Lopen and Sheep in particular, and I'm also nearly completely certain that Doc is clear.  Bard challenged Wonko, but considering there was no doubt at that point, I honestly don't think that clears him.  In fact, it seems like a smart play if he's Forsworn, since it would imply that he's not, and it was a very quick reaction.  I'm not confident, but I'm leaning towards thinking he's either a Forsworn or maybe a serial killer who needs to take them out or some other group (I had the serial killer role explained to me privately, though I understood the basic concept, so that's fresh in my mind).

Also, @Dankness Ascendant, that cheer should be in Teal.

Alright. I'm going to have to put in another request. Can I please speak to a Lune? I have had some information, and I need a Lune to help me clear this. Forsworn Lune or Village Lune, both are welcome. 

Also, I would love to speak to a Telemanus. I love how of the five people who have given me role claims, four have turned out to be Thornes. Either some of them are lying or Aman was not very generous with his roles in this game :P

I want to talk about items. By this cycle, people should already have gathered at least ten merit. Can people come up and talk about their purchases? Or if you're uncomfortable with that, tell me in a PM what you're going to buy. 

Edited by Doctor12