"Shadows of Self" title in original Mistborn trilogy

potatopicker

I was rereading The Hero of Ages and stumbled across this: 

"Does this mean, then, that Preservation has returned?"

"That is impossible," Haddek [leader of the 1st Kandra Generation] said.  "Preservation's power remains, for power cannot be destroyed.  His mind, however, was all but destroyed--for this was the sacrifice he made to imprison Ruin."

"The sliver remains," another reminded.  "The shadow of self."

"Yes," Haddek said.  "But that is not Preservation, just an image--a remnant.  Now that Ruin has escaped, I think we can assume that even it has been destroyed."

"I think it is more," another began.  "We could--"

Sazed held up his hands, getting their attention.  "If Preservation has not returned, then has, perhaps, someone else taken up his power to use in this fight?..."

HoA, 507 (Chapter 75)

It looks as though "shadow of self" is another term for Sliver.  And what/who is the shadow being discussed by the Kandra in this context?  The mist spirit Preservation?  Might we see a Harmony-spirit wandering in the Elendel Basin soon?

Nice catch! Allow me to +1

This deserves further consideration. But if I had to guess, I would say that it was referring to Preservation's mist spirit.

Here's a quick speculation: we know that, since Preservation invested more of himself in human beings than Ruin did, Ruin was slightly more powerful than Preservation. If Sazed picked up exactly equal parts of Ruin and Preservation, that would mean there was extra Ruin floating around. It might manifest as a "shadow of self" like the mist spirit. Maybe like the Shadow thing that shanked Fedik.

EDIT: Welcome to the forums!

Edited by Alaxel

• Chaos locked this topic