Rock

bdoble97

56 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Does anybody else think that Rock is going to have a big role later on getting the Horneaters to help out. Plus whenever I'm reading his character  I picture him having a thick Russian accent anybody else. 

That's exactly how I imagine him. Also, I think there's more to Rock than we've seen. I feel like he's some kind of lighteyes in the Horneater Peaks.

He also knew how to fire a bow when nobody else did, and has said that the first son (him) is needed for cooking, because cooking is the most important role in the family. Maybe they base their leaders on this? We know he's not the chief (or nuatoma, as he calls it) because he followed his nuatoma to try to win a Shardblade from the Alethi. I had considered that maybe he was hiding the fact that he was actually the nuatoma, but his refusal to fight and the fact that I would think that upon losing the duel for the Shardblade, the challenger would be killed makes me think otherwise.

25 minutes ago, If.you.die.I.go.stupid said:

Yes. Third son is artisan,  hence cook.  He does seem special. I don't think all Horneaters can see spren. I am interested in what happens with him, especially if he shows up on the peaks glowing. 

You are correct, Rock is an Alaii’iku which is why he can see Spren. It is implied that there are other Horneaters who can see Spren but Rock notes that it is special so I'd guess it is uncommon. He also says that he was born with the ability. My best guess is that as a result of the Horneater Peaks close proximity to a Perpendicularity there was a change to the Horneater people's sDNA and that is passed down genetically similar to Allomancy and Feruchemy on Scadrial.

Interview: Sep 24th, 2013

Chris King (Miyabi)

Why can Rock see Syl?

Brandon Sanderson

Ooh, good question, why do you think Rock can see Syl?

Chris King (Miyabi)

My personal theory here is because his people have such a strong belief and reverence in them it allows him to see them for that reason because his belief creates some sort of cognitive or spiritual pressure which allows them—

Brandon Sanderson

He would agree with that philosophy. I would say, usually when something like that happens there is also something physiological going on.

Edited by Iron Eyes

@soulcastJam sounds right to me, especially with WoB.  

Q. Has Rock always been a third son?

A. No (note, I got distracted by my other questions, so I am not 100% sure that he did say no, but I am about 85% sure  I failed I know, I am hoping the sharder who was listening was recording or remembers better than I do.)

On 9/23/2016 at 11:06 AM, forgedpig said:

I thought Rock was the third son?

Ah, yes, that's right. I remembered him saying that the first son was a cook, because it was the most important, and thought that it applied to him as well, him being Bridge Four's cook. I forgot that he said he's the third son and is the craftsman of the family. That being said, I wonder what he crafted? Maybe bows/arrows?

Edited by Sand Master

1 hour ago, Sand Master said:

Ah, yes, that's right. I remembered him saying that the first son was a cook, because it was the most important, and thought that it applied to him as well, him being Bridge Four's cook. I forgot that he said he's the third son and is the craftsman of the family. That being said, I wonder what he crafted? Maybe bows/arrows?

I'll have to search the ebooks when I get home, but I think first son was a farmer because food is most important.  Third son is artisan and cooks are artisans. I know he was a cook in the peaks. It's why Sadeas made him a cook. 

“First son and second son are needed for making food,” Rock said, raising a finger. “Is most important. Without food, nobody lives, yes? Third son is craftsman. This is me. I serve proudly. Only fourth son can be warrior. Warriors, they are not needed as much as food or crafts. You see?”

As far as I can find, this is the only mention of what the order of children means. It doesn't specifically say anything about a distinction between farmers and cooks. I had considered "making food" to include cooking, but I guess cooking could fall under craftsman. I had assumed craftsman meant making things like furniture or pottery.

That's the quote I was thinking of.  It is more vague than I thought.  I can see how it could mean cook, but I think cook is third son. Rock says he came down from the peaks because his people needed their cook to go with them. That seems to be how he was serving and he is no first son. Also,  when  he says he serves as an craftsman, no one ask about it. They only know him as a cook and hearing he is a craftsman doesn't raise an eyebrow,  so I'm guessing cooks are seen as craftsman. 

He was a fourth or further son at some point, WoB, so that is most likely to explain his training with the bow. 

On 9/23/2016 at 1:45 PM, bdoble97 said:

I think you are right he is said he's not that right son to fight. I may be wrong but maybe he's like a princess something

He's more of the cousin of a prominent lord in their tribe, so yea he's up there in royalty for sure.

• Chaos locked this topic