Pitching Some Games! - Looking For Group!

Quadrophenia

i too, have never played CoC. I'll go read up on the rules myself haha. 

And no, Kas. Discord has a voice function sure, and the voice works much better than skype, in my opinion, but there are also dedicated text channels. 

Someone needs to hold this newbs hand. What do I do?

11 hours ago, AliasSheep said:

Should we make characters on our own or are we going to work on them as a group?

7 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Aye, and I'll go study up on the rules, then. Would just like a clarification - does going Discord mean going audio?

6 hours ago, Doctor12 said:

i too, have never played CoC. I'll go read up on the rules myself haha. 

And no, Kas. Discord has a voice function sure, and the voice works much better than skype, in my opinion, but there are also dedicated text channels. 

Someone needs to hold this newbs hand. What do I do?

To make things clear for you guys-

Here's the plan. First, I'm going to lay out the premise for the CoC game in question, set up the plot and setting and all that junk. Second, as such, to fit the setting we're going to talk shop about what sort of character you'd like to play as. Finally, third, when I have all the information I need from each of you I'll personally write up your character sheets and set them up on individual Google docs.

How does that sound, guys?

So, the premise-

"Pitch: It's CLUE, with a Lovecraftian spin. Set in the 20's, the player characters have been invited by a famous and reclusive author to his manor. If they don't, well, he'll release certain articles of blackmail (exposing all sorts of personal and... possibly incriminating secrets to the public). As the guests are seated one by one, each within the palm of this man holding all your darkest secrets...the host reveals that they will soon be playing a game to win back their freedom... starting... now. 

Cue the lights. A second later, they're back on and the host is seemingly dead... and the manor takes on new and seemingly impossible dimensions, as eldritch things seep through the walls... and the host himself, this corpse, disappears and reappears in new shapes and sizes.

Escape is impossible. The only way to save oneself is to brave the horrors of the manor, to find the secret means by which you can leave this accursed place."

So that's the premise. Everyone here needs to come up with an era-appropriate character with a dark secret, something that the aforementioned Host would have over you. 

Traditionally, here are the usual occupations in CoC: Journalist, Professor, Author, Antiquarian, Doctor, Journalist, Private Investigator, Police Detective, Artist, Lawyer, Dilettante, Clergyman, Entertainer, Athlete, Engineer- believe it or not, each of these occupations have special talents and skills and abilities that might help you survive the night. 

http://the-call-of-cthulhu.obsidianportal.com/wikis/sample-occupation-skills

As for points to allocate to what attributes, well, I'll handle that later, after I get back from work.

Edited by Quadrophenia

Sounds good!

Almighty GM, just to make sure I'm clear on this - we talk shop publicly, to make sure everyone's on the same boat and that this doesn't wind up being a 3 Doctor party, for instance? (Or are we supposed to discuss that with you in a PM?)

39 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Sounds good!

Almighty GM, just to make sure I'm clear on this - we talk shop publicly, to make sure everyone's on the same boat and that this doesn't wind up being a 3 Doctor party, for instance? (Or are we supposed to discuss that with you in a PM?)

21 minutes ago, Doctor12 said:

Should I set it a discord server for this? It'll be much more convenient to talk there than on the shard. 

https://discord.gg/c8Gmk

All you have to do is create an account - it's free - and you're good to go. There's a browser client for this, as well as a mobile app. 

Hm. Let's try out Discord. We'll see how that goes.

Doc, set up the server. Call it "Call of Cthulhu: Dinner Party" or "CoC: Dinner Party."