Stormlight Archive d20, or How to Turn Sanderson's Epic into a Homebrew D&D Game

Quadrophenia

3 hours ago, Quadrophenia said:

Oooh, here's a thought.

If anyone is caught outside during a Highstorm without protection... 

How buggered is that character?

Depends on whether they're a surgebinder or not; if not, say have a saving throw for it, maybe a dex throw?  And if they are then just give them more of that stormlighttt.

Even a Surgebinder would still have to deal with some rocks being flung around, but that's probably not too intense if you aren't at the Shattered Plains.
I'd consider storm-tossed rocks as "area attacks" so yea that would still be a Reflex Save. The extra Stormlight they get would probably heal most injuries they'd get.. maybe make that a heal x per turn effect?

4 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Even a Surgebinder would still have to deal with some rocks being flung around, but that's probably not too intense if you aren't at the Shattered Plains.
I'd consider storm-tossed rocks as "area attacks" so yea that would still be a Reflex Save. The extra Stormlight they get would probably heal most injuries they'd get.. maybe make that a heal x per turn effect?

I like that!

I'm thinking more along the lines of Constitution: to me the highstorms seem much more like an effect (hypothermia, accumulation of small wounds) that must be endured, instead of a single group of flying objects that either hit you or miss you. Stormlight might impose advantage (is that even a thing in 3rd or 4th?) on the throw, seeing as even Kaladin with his stormlight barely survived.

14 minutes ago, Elenion said:

I'm thinking more along the lines of Constitution: to me the highstorms seem much more like an effect (hypothermia, accumulation of small wounds) that must be endured, instead of a single group of flying objects that either hit you or miss you. Stormlight might impose advantage (is that even a thing in 3rd or 4th?) on the throw, seeing as even Kaladin with his stormlight barely survived.

In fairness, that was Kaladin pre-Super Saiyan-esque power upgrades. 

Just now, Quadrophenia said:

In fairness, that was Kaladin pre-Super Saiyan-esque power upgrades. 

Still, while strung up he was never hit by anything large enough to deal more than a couple points of damage. However, the hypothermia nearly killed him.

You could do 2 checks, but make the one easier. You aren't that likely to get hit by a flying rock/other, so you could make it low DC. The cold and the constant winds can't be avoided, but perhaps your Stormlight could act as an additional bonus modifier with Constitution for a Fortitude Save to reduce damage.

Maybe apply whichever is higher, so that Surgebinders aren't overpowered. Not sure if there is a precedent for applying "whichever is higher" in D&D or modern d20 though...

On September 18, 2016 at 7:35 PM, Elenion said:

I'd be happy to help out with my limited knowledge: I play D&D 5th Edition with a few friends (I'm a Rogue) and have previously GM-ed for Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, but I've never attempted to create entirely-new game mechanics. This sounds like a blast.

On September 18, 2016 at 9:08 PM, Assassin in Burgundy said:

I've set up an RP that sounds a lot like this called Desolations and Dustbringers. One of our players hasn't been on for a while and may not do it. If he doesn't, you might find it fun to join. 

On September 18, 2016 at 10:13 PM, The One Who Connects said:

I know it's a side note, but the magic systems can work anywhere. Its mainly a matter of fuel. Roshar doesn't sell Allomancer's Pewter (to give one example). Brandon has said that Awakening can be powered by stormlight, but that nobody's really figured out how yet.

I see getting a Shardblade as something like Fighter to Swordmaster/Warrior, and Plate going towards Berserker(something like that). Having both would be like a Knight (the RPG type, not Radiant :)) Closest I've gotten to RPG's is Fire Emblem games, so fair warning if I say something stupid. Well, KOTOR 2 had some RPG elements to it..

On September 19, 2016 at 6:11 AM, bleeder said:

I've never played D&D before... but I'm willing to try it.

Ta-da!

Look what I've made, fellas!

12 minutes ago, Straw said:

I haven't played D&D before but it would be fun to try it. Also, could absorbing stormlight give you a temporary boost to some stats?

It'd heal you, that's for sure. My idea was something along the lines of, say...

Absorb from a single sphere: Roll 1d8 for health regen.

Two spheres: 2d8

4 - 4d8. And so on...

Oh! While a Stormlight Archive d20 game on my end will be a long time coming, could I interest you in other ones I've got brewing?

Races: 

Amian

Human

Parshandi

Monsters:

Unmade

Midnight Essence

Chasmfiend

Greatshell 

Parshandi

Thunderclast

Basic classes:

Fighter = Shardbearer

Wizard = Surgebinder

Rogue = Ghostblood

Cleric = Old magic user

Edited by Straw

11 minutes ago, Straw said:

Races: 

Amian

Human

Parshandi

Monsters:

Unmade

Midnight Essence

Chasmfiend

Greatshell 

Parshandi

Thunderclast

Basic classes:

Fighter = Shardbearer

Wizard = Surgebinder

Rogue = Ghostblood

Cleric = Old magic user

I'm not quit sure about the latter four. Shardbearers are basically magic Iron Man, I'd have to account for special feats and abilities. Surgebinders are each too specialized, Ghostblood is an organization hinted to contain visitors from other shardworlds...

And we don't know enough about Old Magic just yet.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...