Quick Fix Game 18: The Black Prism

Straw

I'll be joining up as Mark, if you don't mind (of course you don't :P) 

Thankfully, I have read the source material, but it's been a long time. And advice to that my bad memory means I've forgotten most of the books (like paryl drafters). Time for a reread, I guess. 

On 9/16/2016 at 2:21 PM, The Young Bard said:

May I ask the point of this? Apart from showing whether they were killed by a sub-red village drafter or with the Eliminator kill, which is usually fairly obvious anyway, it looks pointless.

It's very useful.  If someone dies and the killer is revealed to be a Blue Drafter then that narrows the suspect pool rather dramatically.

On 9/18/2016 at 8:11 AM, Straw said:

Not reading the source material is fine. Just inform me so that I can avoid giving you a role with possible spoilers. Also, I plan to try to keep this game separate from canon in order to avoid spoilers.

I have finished the first book and am well into the second so feel free to give me all the secret roles. :P:ph34r:  I must say that the series is very good and I am sad that it took me so long to read them.

Okay, my schedule has cleared up a bit since I last posted, although I still might only be able to get on once or twice a day instead of my usual frequency. I'll join as The Blob, an entity that doesn't know what it's doing here but is enjoying the ride while it lasts.

13 hours ago, Alvron said:

It's very useful.  If someone dies and the killer is revealed to be a Blue Drafter then that narrows the suspect pool rather dramatically.

I don't follow: a blue drafter can't kill or be bichrome with any drafter that can kill. The only option is a full polychrome, and if they were scanned wouldn't they show up as what they are?

Also, a long and rather wordy question: if a red and a sub-red target the same player, would the attack succeed? The red would attempt a kill, but the orange would try to block it. If the attack is blocked, when would the flammable jelly rule come into play?

1 hour ago, Elenion said:

I don't follow: a blue drafter can't kill or be bichrome with any drafter that can kill. The only option is a full polychrome, and if they were scanned wouldn't they show up as what they are?

If a blue drafter shows up then they must be an eliminator as as you pointed out, they can't kill with their colour(s).  The yellow flare reveals role and alignment so that tells us a Blue is evil and given the limited number of players I would guess at two maybe outside chance at three that can use Blue.  Narrows down the suspect list no?  Assuming of course that people reveal their colour(s). :P

Sadly though, I've just seen that the Yellow has changed.  They now only give out one torch instead of two and it reveals players name as well as role and alignment. :(  So this whole problem is now moot.

Edited by Alvron

4 hours ago, Alvron said:

If a blue drafter shows up then they must be an eliminator as as you pointed out, they can't kill with their colour(s).  The yellow flare reveals role and alignment so that tells us a Blue is evil and given the limited number of players I would guess at two maybe outside chance at three that can use Blue.  Narrows down the suspect list no?  Assuming of course that people reveal their colour(s). :P

Good point. Thanks.

A shudder in the control room. The time rotor juddered to a halt, the great engines pausing for a beat. The Healer looked up in irritation from his book. What's this? Muttering under his breath, he got up and strode to the doors, opening the door into space. 

Ah. Another portal to another dimension, opening up, ready to suck him in. Already pulling. Another one of those...games. He had been sucked into far too many recently. "Nope," he muttered. "Not this time, no." He shut the doors and ran towards the console, jerking a lever to get himself out of here. 

The TARDIS shuddered and started to angle away. Yet. It wasn't strong enough to completely escape. Darn it.

The TARDIS had sensed his interest.

Choices, choices. 

The TARDIS remained accelerating away from the portal even as the portal exerted its grip on it. From the outside, it looked just like the TARDIS was hanging perfectly still. The TARDIS could escape with ease, but she had sensed that he didn't want to yet. 

He rolled his eyes finally and called into the void, knowing that whoever controlled the portal would hear him. 

"I'll be watching. Watching only. And if someone drops out, I'll take their place. That's all I can promise." He looked at the Time Rotor. "you happy now, old girl?"

The lights flashed in a row through the TARDIS, and finally they began accelerating away from the portal. 

In other words, sign me up for the spec doc and pinch hitting!

Keep in mind that this is a QF. It'll only last about a week. There shouldn't be any need for pinchhitting. (There will likely be an inactivity filter, though.) Those who have asked to spectate will be invited to the spec doc as soon as one is made, though. 

Sorry for not being more on top of this game so far. Best guess at when signups will end is around this Saturday, September 24, though I can't guarantee that it will be that day. 

19 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

Keep in mind that this is a QF. It'll only last about a week. There shouldn't be any need for pinchhitting. (There will likely be an inactivity filter, though.) Those who have asked to spectate will be invited to the spec doc as soon as one is made, though. 

Umm.  .  . Do you need a link to the spec doc Elbereth? I've been in it for three days already.

I'm changing up my backstory a bit.

The Blob oozed across the unnaturally-smooth stone floor, coming to rest in a shapeless, human-sized heap near the center of the small room. The stone there hummed with power, and the voice that had called spoke.

"I see you are surviving well."

"One of the few things this form is good at is not eating." The Blob replied in a metallic voice that it somehow produced despite having no semblance of a mouth.

The voice from the stone laughed, "Such a shame that I had to leave you like this. But perhaps you do not have to stay like this forever."

"What's the catch?"

"You'll find out after you get there."

The stone suddenly glowed with a sudden bright light, and the Blob vanished from its cold vault.

• Alvron locked this topic

Quick Fix 18: Cycle One - What does it mean to live?

What does it mean to live?

Many people have tried to answer this question, of course. The scientists tried to quantify the issue, saying life meant having a heartbeat, or being able to think, or being able to move. Philosophers thought more abstractly, and claimed life was love, or God, or happiness. There have been a multitude of answers, each one different than the last. And every one of them had been right, and every one of them had been wrong. Life meant different things to different people.

The person of relevance, at the moment, was an old man sitting in his chair, staring out over the ocean that surrounded the island. His rheumy eyes were watching the waves crash, but his thoughts were far from the ocean or even the island upon which he sat.

No, he thought of long ago, times when he had been young and powerful and his name had been feared throughout the lands. 

There was a noise behind him. His senses were still sharp enough to notice that, at least, though it was only the light scuff of a foot. 

The problem was, he didn’t care. “What does it mean to live?” he asked aloud. The steps behind him stopped.

Nothing,” he answered himself bitterly. “Life means nothing. Not without power, or joy, or love.”

He rose, slowly, and turned to face the young assassin facing him, still frozen in place clutching a dagger. “Go on. Do the deed. Throw the world into chaos. I’ll be dead. I don’t care.”

The assassin walked a few steps closer, uncertainly. The Prism bared his throat and closed his eyes. After a pause, the assassin sliced his throat with one quick motion, as if deciding to get it over with. 

In a few minutes, all that was left in the room was the cooling body of what was once the most powerful man in the world.

Cycle 1 has begun! You have 23 hours to send in actions and vote. 

[url=http://www.pending.me.uk]blu_1474930800.png[/url]

Player List

1. Voral Grim (Alvron)

2. The Unnamed Person (The Young Bard)
3. Faren (Conquestor)
4. Nivag Pik (Assassin in Burgundy)
5. Brent Weak (Darkness Acendant)
6. Alexios of Illytia (Sheep)
7. Chaos (Lady of Chaos)
8. Human Target (Ecthelion III)
9. Has Too Much Time (Metacognition)
10. Stick (Stick)
11. Mark (Mark)
12. Fright Angel (STINK)
13. Epsilon (Daniyah)
14. The Blob (Elenion)
15. Test Subject #134 (Magestar)

QF18 has started! Kudos to Elb and Sart for the writeup!

Edited by Straw