Bonding with more than one spren

Asasasyn in White

We have a WoB who said it's possible but it would be hard to be in-line with the needed Oaths. (I will edit as soon I will find the exactly WoB)

EDIT: I don't find the right one but there is this other (vague I know)

QUESTION

Can someone bond more than one Honorblade?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Honorblade? You can't bond an Honorblade, though it can be given to you. Shardblades, however, come from a spren bond and it is possible to bond more than one.

FOOTNOTE

Later clarified, Brandon misunderstood the question. One may be bound to multiple Honorblades.

Edited by Yata

I imagine this WoB would also be relevant:

Djarskublar: So say you go to Roshar and you give somebody a Hemalurgic spike for some Allomantic power, don't care what, and you use it to become a savant. Does that qualify them as 'broken' enough to become a Radiant? As long as they are also following the Ideals to attract a spren.

Brandon: So becoming a Radiant is a spectrum of terminologies. It... probably, but you would have to find a Radiant who would, or a spren who would be willing to touch that, okay? It's going to drive them back.

So if you have already tacked one spren onto your sprit web, then another might be repelled by that spren (see Honorspren and Cryptics).  Not all spren will be incompatible, but some might be even if their oaths align (Cryptics only seem to only need truths to be spoken, which is technically compatible with the Honorspren restriction on lying).

10 hours ago, Krandacth said:

So if you have already tacked one spren onto your sprit web, then another might be repelled by that spren (see Honorspren and Cryptics).  Not all spren will be incompatible, but some might be even if their oaths align (Cryptics only seem to only need truths to be spoken, which is technically compatible with the Honorspren restriction on lying).

I think it more likely that closer orders such as those that share a surge might be better depending on the oaths. The truth Cryptics require seem to stem from lies people tell themselves and not just any truth.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, marianmi said:

renarin was bound to both glys and the dead spren-shardblade when arriving in urithiru

His bond to the blade was the standard bond to a blade, i.e., through a gem stone in the hilt, not a direct bond to the spren. Having a bond to a 'dead' blade is very different, but it does tell us something. Glys was willing to bond when Renarin held a blade. The stormfather demanded Dalinar get rid of his blade. This seems in line with what Brandon said, some things will repel one spren while another can overlook it.

2 hours ago, If.you.die.I.go.stupid said:

Glys was willing to bond when Renarin held a blade.

Or it was done to maintain his cover. There's a difference between overlooking it (in the general sense) and doing what needs to be done.

Edited by Argel

7 hours ago, If.you.die.I.go.stupid said:

His bond to the blade was the standard bond to a blade, i.e., through a gem stone in the hilt, not a direct bond to the spren. Having a bond to a 'dead' blade is very different, but it does tell us something. Glys was willing to bond when Renarin held a blade. The stormfather demanded Dalinar get rid of his blade. This seems in line with what Brandon said, some things will repel one spren while another can overlook it.

Renarin had already bonded Glys when he bonded his dead-Blade: the dead-Blade did not come before Glys. The Stormfather had been bonding Dalinar for years, as illustrated with his ability to draw in stormlight to heal his injuries, and Dalinar has only recently given up on Oathbrigner. He also bonded this other Blade towards the end and he still surgebinde during the Szeth fight and he still finished bonding the Stormfather.

Being bonded to a dead-Blade doesn't automatically repel sprens: it repels Syl, but other sprens seem to not react as badly as her.

1 hour ago, maxal said:

Renarin had already bonded Glys when he bonded his dead-Blade: the dead-Blade did not come before Glys. The Stormfather had been bonding Dalinar for years, as illustrated with his ability to draw in stormlight to heal his injuries, and Dalinar has only recently given up on Oathbrigner. He also bonded this other Blade towards the end and he still surgebinde during the Szeth fight and he still finished bonding the Stormfather.

Being bonded to a dead-Blade doesn't automatically repel sprens: it repels Syl, but other sprens seem to not react as badly as her.

I've always thought that Dalinar had some bond to the stormfather before the oaths. His use of stormlight and the visions both indicate this, but it is a pre-oath bond. Each oath/truth/set of words makes the bond stronger and requires more of the radiant and spren. When Dalinar confronts the stormfather, the stormfather says that he refuses to be bound in a way that could kill him, so while there was some bond already, it was not strong. It was like Kalidians first days with Syl, before he knew what was going on. For the bond to go further, the Stormfather demanded Dalinar get rid of his shard blade.

@Argel My point with Glys was just that Glys might not have liked shardblades but didn't demand that Renarin get rid of it. I wasn't trying to speculate on Glys motives.

@maxalHow do we know when Glys was bonded? I missed this. I know Renarin is uncomfortable with the blade from the very beginning, but it seems to bother him more later and his eyesight improves later. I could never decided if the initial discomfort over the blade was because of a bond or something else. I can't image walking around with that thing screaming in my head for several days.

@SarevokYes,  but the bond takes several days before the blade can be dismissed. I think it was five days, but would have to check to be sure. That's why Dalinar pretends to be sick and dissappears. Renarin is seen carrying his blade around during this bond time. After it is bonded he doesn't summon it much. 

Edited by If.you.die.I.go.stupid

1 hour ago, If.you.die.I.go.stupid said:

@maxalHow do we know when Glys was bonded? I missed this. I know Renarin is uncomfortable with the blade from the very beginning, but it seems to bother him more later and his eyesight improves later. I could never decided if the initial discomfort over the blade was because of a bond or something else. I can't image walking around with that thing screaming in my head for several days.

Because Brandon has told us Renarin has been bonding a long time before it was apparent within the books. Since most people agree the part where he heals his eyesight is where it becomes apparent, it is thus he had the bond much earlier on.

Therefore, when Renarin bonded his dead-Blade he, in all probability already had a Nahel bond, but not a very deep one. It probably didn't scream back then. The screams only seem to start when you have reached a given threshold which Renarin likely didn't cross at this point in time.

• 2 years later...
On 9/8/2016 at 3:40 AM, Krandacth said:

I think that these WoB's are saying that spren will be repelled by hemalurgy, or the type of person who would use hemalurgy in this way. I don't think Brandon is saying spren will be repelled by a bond to another spren, as you seem to be implying.

• 1 year later...

Perception is everything guys!!!

What a lightweaver creates an illusion (which is technically a lie) to protect someone?? We have seen Shallan do this often. Where a Stoneward says 'I will be there when I am needed' also aligns with the protecting nature of Windrunners. 

Willshapers, Elsecallers, Lightweavers and Truthwatchers have scholarly nature in common plus they seek for the truth...

Elsecallers, Stonewards, Skybreakers Windrunners and Dustbringers are great strategists. Truthwatchers and Edgedancers care for those who are forgotten.

Skybreakers and Bondsmiths are responsible for watching after and uniting all the orders.

So this ten orders are basically a circular spectrum. Every adjacent orders have something in common with others so it is not only possible to bond with five sprens, one can bond with nine sprens at best.  Why nine? Because there are only three bondsmith sprens, so no enough right? Hope u found it useful!

Relevant WoB:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/218/#e6647

Questioner

Is there a limit to how many Shardblades you can have? Be bonded to?

Brandon Sanderson

Theoretically, not really. There are some things that could bound that. I can imagine people having a lot. In the original draft of The Way of Kings (2002) Amaram had two. And so, it's definitely possible to have multiples, and I had not thought of someone trying to bond every Shardblade. 

Questioner

So that means you can be bonded to more than one spren.

Brandon Sanderson

Well, those Shardblades... Can you be bonded to more than one spren? That question's answer is also yes. Potentially. But there is a much harder limit on that.

Words of Radiance Chicago signing (March 22, 2014)

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 11:01 AM, Anticipationspren said:

If you were to bond multiple Spren would you need to be broken in multiple ways or is one crack enough for multiple Spren to use? And if they could use the same crack would someone who has been broken more be more powerful beacuse there is more room for the bond and investiture?

It may not be relevant but still.

While making Fabrials (heating, for example) we must attract the spren with the thing it likes (flamespren with flames). Musicspren appear where there is music, a seen during the treaty signing in Kholinar palace...

Radiant spren are attracted to a particular quality in a person, which he/she exibits the most. Breaking, I think, is a character check in a particular person. Kaladin did not stop protecting people even though he faced repeated losses and unforeseen repercussions. That was the point where he proved that is is worthy of a bond with honorspren. 

In the case of multiple bonding, I don't think it is necessary to break as many times to bond with that many number of spren. After being broken even for once, the person exibits the qualities and live up to them they can very well attract radiant spren of different orders.

The real efforts will be required in staying in line with the oaths and see that they don't contradict. One way out could be finding loopholes in the oaths after speaking them.

Though theoretically it is possible but narratively it will create a overpowered character. Maybe one of the current ones will bond with three or four but not more. Kaladin seems the likely candidate, (childhood as a surgeon- Edgedancer/ Truthwatcher, time spent as a soldier in Amaram's army - Stoneward, as Dalinar's bodyguard - Dustbringer. Also in coppermind, it was mentioned that inkspren of Elsecaller will also see a soldier who acts wisely in a battle a likely person to develop a bond)

Why I think this there will be Kaladin having more than one spren bond is because Yelig-nar grants access to all ten surges. Kaladin once confronted it when Aseudan Kholin hosted it and then fought Amaram hosting Yelig-nar.

Yelig-nar continually feeds on the soul, a form of Investiture. The real trouble will be if Nale, a herald (now crazy and decided to follow Odium) having access to raw Investiture of Honor consumes a gemstone abling the Unmade to form the bond. The Investiture will keep him alive, making him an extremely formidable foe.

All this can be a foreshadowing of an upcoming conflict between Nale and Kaladin.

Hope y'all liked this.

• Chaos locked this topic