Inspired by a WoT tournament I saw today, I decided to create this thread: a tournament where I match up Stormlight characters against eachother, and you vote for your favorite in each matchup. Its more fun if you write down your reasoning as well!

Here are the matchups:

1. Tyn vs Sadeas

2. Tien vs Adolin

3. Shallan vs Axies

4. Rysn vs Wit

5. Dalinar vs Jasnah

6. Amaram vs Navani

7. Kaladin vs Pattern

8. Syl vs Rock

9. Eshonai vs Balat

10. Teft vs Elhokar

11. Lopen vs Szeth

12. Sigzil vs Lirin

13. Ishikk vs Nalan

14. Lift vs Moash

15. Renarin vs Aladar

16. Sebarial vs Zahel

I am gonna give this five days, and then I will update the thread with a new post for the next round. So, voting ends Monday 12, sometime, depending on timezone.

Lets give it a go!

1. Tyn, because Sadeas is an eel.

2. Tien, because he's awesome.

3. Axies, because he's hilarious. Shallan is too, but Axies's attitude just nails it.

4. Wit. Even funnier than Axies.

5. Dalinar, because (much like Kaladin) I think he embodies a lot of aspects that many people should aspire to emulate.

6. Navani, because f&*% Amaram.

7. Kaladin. Same reason as Dalinar, plus he's just plain cool.

8. Tough one. Probably Syl, just because it is really interesting to watch her go from mindless windspren to her current state.

9. Eshonai. The feels man.

10. Teft. He's one of the main reasons Kaladin decided to keep fighting after he realized the bridgemen were bait.

11. Lopen. I mean, come on. He's The Lopen!

12. Lirin, for having to put up with Roshone for all that time (and presumably between then and now as well).

13. Ishikk. He knows how to just relax and enjoy life, while Nalan goes out of his way to kill a guy who gives away free shoes to homeless kids.

14. Lift, because she's awesome.

15. Renarin, because any highprince besides Sebarial and Dalinar deserve contempt.

16. Another close one. Sebarial is funny and he's a cool guy, but I think Zahel has him beat on this one.

Incidentally, did you make it 16 matches on purpose?

Edited by Sand Master
I did not understand the purpose of the post.

3 hours ago, Chull #445 said:

Inspired by a WoT tournament I saw today, I decided to create this thread: a tournament where I match up Stormlight characters against eachother, and you vote for your favorite in each matchup. Its more fun if you write down your reasoning as well!

Here are the matchups:

1. Tyn vs Sadeas

2. Tien vs Adolin

3. Shallan vs Axies

4. Rysn vs Wit

5. Dalinar vs Jasnah

6. Amaram vs Navani

7. Kaladin vs Pattern

8. Syl vs Rock

9. Eshonai vs Balat

10. Teft vs Elhokar

11. Lopen vs Szeth

12. Sigzil vs Lirin

13. Ishikk vs Nalan

14. Lift vs Moash

15. Renarin vs Aladar

16. Sebarial vs Zahel

I am gonna give this five days, and then I will update the thread with a new post for the next round. So, voting ends Monday 12, sometime, depending on timezone.

Lets give it a go!

1. Sadeas. Because we are still talking about how he died.

2. Adolin. Because. Just. Because. Does anyone really want me to expand?

3. Shallan. Because she is actually a character with a prominent POV.

4. Rysn. Because I dislike Wit.

5. Dalinar. Because I never felt strongly about Jasnah.

6. Amaram. Because he is just so much more interesting than Navani.

7. Pattern. Because he makes me laugh and I am tired of Kaladin :ph34r:

8. Rock. Because I never been a fan of Syl and I love Rock.

9. Eshonai. Because she actually has a story to tell and a role to play.

10. Teft. Because he has a neat backstory and because I hate Elhokar.

11. Szeth. Because I can't stand Lopen. Arguably, I dislike Szeth but I am actually curious about his Truthless stuff while I don't care so much about Lopen.

12. Sigzil. Because I feel he still has a story to tell while I don't think Lirin has anything left to say apart from "I forgive you son.".

13. Nalan. Because he is a surgebinder killer who may be targeting Edgedancers which means if the stars are all aligned, he may come for Adolin. Awesome fight to have. Have the one non-surgebinder actually kill the freak.

14. Lift. Because I hate Moash and he's told us what he needed to tell us. 

15. Renarin. Because I cannot figure out how Aladar could be interesting.

16. Zahel. Because, once upon a time, he chose to train little Adolin and I want to know why.

Im gonna vote as well:

1. Tyn vs Sadeas: Sadeas. I like him, but I definitely dont like Tyn. She seemed like a douche.

2. Tien vs Adolin: Adolin. He is cool, likeable and interesting. Tien cant compete with that.

3. Shallan vs Axies: Shallan is awesome, but I vote Axies, simply for how fun he is. He made his Interlude into the best one we have had.

4. Rysn vs Wit: Rysn is awesome as well, but Wit wins thanks to pure fun.

5. Dalinar vs Jasnah: I prefer Dalinar.

6. Amaram vs Navani: Amaram is among my favorites, while Navani isnt. Easy choice.

7. Kaladin vs Pattern: Pattern. I think like Maxal here. Kaladin is great, but he has been saving the day far too often.

8. Rock vs Syl: Rock is easily more awesome than Syl!

9. Eshonai vs Balat: Balat seems nice enough (when he is not torturing animals) but there is something about Eshonai that I like, so I give it to her.

10. Teft vs Elhokar: I really like Elhokar, so he takes this. I feel that he is an interesting version of a "king character" and also, he has a cool name.

11. Szeth vs Lopen: Lopen is awesome, and funny, but I am fond of Szeth. He takes it here.

12. Sigzil vs Lirin: Lirin is more interesting, and he was very well portrayed, so he wins.

13. Ishikk vs Nalan: Hard one. Like them both, but Nale is more intriguing. He wins.

14. Lift vs Moash: Lift is more fun, and has a more interesting future, so she takes it.

15. Renarin vs Aladar: I like Aladar, while Renarin is meh. So I vote Aladar.

16. Sebarial vs Zahel: Zahel wins for good measure.

Okay, Round 2! First round ended with:

Sadeas beating Tyn with 4-1. Funny, since everyone hates him.

Adolin beating Tien with 3-2. Close game.

Axies beating Shallan with 3-2. 

Rysn taking down Wit with 3-2. 

Dalinar defeating Jasnah with 5-0. Poor Jasnah.

Amaram takes out Navani with 4-1, and so both of our favorite scumbags advance!

Kaladin defeats Pattern with 3-2. 

Rock defeats Syl, 3-2. Both spren are gone. But not dead. Spren cant die.

Eshonai completely steamrolls Balat with 5-0.

Teft takes out Elhokar with 4-1. 

Surprisingly, Szeth bests the Lopen with 3-2. 

Sigzil defeats Lirin with 3-2. 

Nalan wins, and Ishikk is out. 4-1. Justice!

Lift takes out Moash with 4-1. Lift is thus lifted to the next round.

Renarin defeats Aladar with 4-1. Dalinar would be proud.

Zahel defeats Sebarial with 4-1. This made me breathless.

And so, the new matchups. They are as follows:

1. Sadeas vs Adolin (lol)

2. Axies vs Rysn

3. Dalinar vs Amaram

4. Kaladin vs Rock

5. Eshonai vs Teft

6. Szeth vs Sigzil

7. Nalan vs Lift

8. Renarin vs Zahel

You have until sometime Saturday to vote.

1. Adolin- I'm surprised the cremling Sadeas made it past the first round :P 

2. Rysn- She seems...interesting

3. Dalinar- There's no way I'm voting Amaram lol

4. Kaladin

5. Teft

6. Szeth

7. Lift- because she's awesome. Get it? Tehe

8. Zahel- yeah, Renarin's cool and all but still

1. Sadeas - Because Adolin brutally murdered Sadeas

2.  Axies - I want to see Axies find all of the spren

3. Amaram - If the Ghostbloods are trying to kill Amaram, then, well, enemy of my enemy, right?

4. Kaladin

5. Teft

6. Szeth

7. Lift - We've seen more of Lift so far

8. Renarin - Renarin is nicer.

Guess I'll throw in my votes as well. 

1. Adolin. Because Adolin is more interesting, fun and cool. 

2. Axies. He is far more fun than Rysn.

3. Amaram. I like him more than Dalinar. 

4. Rock. He's more loveable than Kaladin, and Kaladin has had the spotlight for too often.

5. Eshonai. Never liked Teft much, tbh.

6. Szeth. I like his name, and he is more cool than Sigzil, whom I have never been fond of.

7. Nalan. I like Justice -obsessed characters, and Nalan feels exciting. Although Lift has exciting stuff as well. But still, Nalan.

8. Zahel. Never been a big Renarin fan.

1. Adolin. Because I still hate Sadeas (as a person, not character).

2. Axies, he's hilarious.

3. Dalinar. Because I still hate Amaram (ditto to Sadeas).

4. Kaladin.

5. This one is tough. I really like both... Going to have to give it to Teft. He's had Kaladin's back a lot.

6. Another tough one... Probably Sigzil, because while I understand why Szeth did what he did, I disagree with his decision to do so.

7. Lift. She's still awesome. Plus, still don't like the guy going around murdering kindly old men.

8. Zahel.

1. Sadeas vs Adolin (lol)  -  Adolin, because he finally gets to duel Sadeas like he planned wins in .03 seconds flat.

2. Axies vs Rysn - Rysn, because I envision her being one heck of a Radiant whenever she comes into her powers.

3. Dalinar vs Amaram - Dalinar, for being one of the few honorable ones left.

4. Kaladin vs Rock - This is so not a fair matchup and should be the finals.  I could write an essay for each.  Rock, because Kaladin will probably have plenty other victories coming his way.

5. Eshonai vs Teft  - Teft, Bridge 4 everyday and all day.

6. Szeth vs Sigzil  -  Sigzil, because he can probably tell us some things about Hoid that would boggle our minds.

7. Nalan vs Lift  - Lift, for being one of the greatest characters in the books and for sharing a love of food with me.

8. Renarin vs Zahel - Zahel, because somehow Nightblood is gonna be thrown into this tournament and Zahel needs to be around to tackle that.

On 9/12/2016 at 10:31 AM, Chull #445 said:

1. Sadeas vs Adolin (lol)

2. Axies vs Rysn

3. Dalinar vs Amaram

4. Kaladin vs Rock

5. Eshonai vs Teft

6. Szeth vs Sigzil

7. Nalan vs Lift

8. Renarin vs Zahel

1. Adolin. Fairly obvious.

2. Rysn. Potentially our Dustbringer, and with enough boldness to do the whole greatshell thing. Axies is cool, but he ain't Rysn.

3. Dalinar. Amaram's just a copycat, and can't match that salt 'n pepper Blackthorny goodness.

4. Rock. He has great Unkalaki feet, made for kicking airsick lowlanders, like Kaladin.

5. Eshonai. Teft has a cool beard, but I don't think that's going to cut it.

6. Szeth. Pretty sure the only thing Sigzil could beat Szeth at is literacy and maybe other scholarly stuffs.

7. Lift. She's awesome; doesn't require any explanation.

8. Renarin. Holds a screaming shardblade and doesn't afraid of anything except the screaming voice in his head.

On 9/7/2016 at 4:04 PM, Chull #445 said:

Here are the matchups:

1. Tyn vs Sadeas

2. Tien vs Adolin

3. Shallan vs Axies

4. Rysn vs Wit

5. Dalinar vs Jasnah

6. Amaram vs Navani

7. Kaladin vs Pattern

8. Syl vs Rock

9. Eshonai vs Balat

10. Teft vs Elhokar

11. Lopen vs Szeth

12. Sigzil vs Lirin

13. Ishikk vs Nalan

14. Lift vs Moash

15. Renarin vs Aladar

16. Sebarial vs Zahel

Lets give it a go!

1. Tyn, this one took some thinking because I love a good villain but Sadeas was just infuriating

2. Adolin, yes Tien is Kaladin's innocent little brother but I just like Adolin more.

3. Shallan, absolutely no question against anyone too me, been my favorite character since Part One of The Way of Kings

4. Wit, duh

5. Dalinar/Jasnah, this one is easily the closest out of this lineup because I love them both for their own reasons but I would probably have to grit my teeth and say Dalinar

6. Amaram, I want him to die just like everyone but like I said before, I love a good villain (Love Navani though)

7. Kaladin Stormblessed, that being said, Pattern is amazing, especially when he gets riled up about something like the symmetry of words and the use of the letter H.

8. Again, another hard one but I'd have to say Rock

9. Eshonai, this one wasn't hard because I don't have much sympathy for Balat (I do, but he doesn't do anything for himself so he doesn't deserve sympathy to me)

10. Teft, I wanted Dalinar to pop Elhokar's heart like a grape in TWoK

11. Szeth, easy.  Lopen is a funny character and is likeable, but that's it (as of WoR).  Szeth has so much depth and design, second favorite character under Shallan.

12. Lirin, I think he's a strong character, not taking anything away from Sigzil but Lirin is just stronger.

13. Nalan, I like characters like him, so it's a personal thing more than anything

14. Moash, if anything because I absolutely HATED Lift for the first half of her interlude.  I wanted Nale to ram that Shardblade into her fifty times with a smile on his face, definitely would have brought one to mine.... sorry, I really did not like Lift because I like to know about the innerworkings of the plot and everything that Wyndle was trying to explain and she KEPT YAWNING AND IGNORING HIM!!!!  Sorry again, I might like her more once she grows up a bit but man did I want her to die.

15. Renarin, because how can you NOT like Renarin?  He sees!

16. Zahel, he's a swordmaster, enough said.

8 hours ago, Xaklys said:

14. Moash, if anything because I absolutely HATED Lift for the first half of her interlude.  I wanted Nale to ram that Shardblade into her fifty times with a smile on his face, definitely would have brought one to mine.... sorry, I really did not like Lift because I like to know about the innerworkings of the plot and everything that Wyndle was trying to explain and she KEPT YAWNING AND IGNORING HIM!!!!  Sorry again, I might like her more once she grows up a bit but man did I want her to die.

Honestly I loved that about Lift. I like to know the inner workings of the plot and all that good stuff too, but man Lift was funny.

8 hours ago, Sand Master said:

Honestly I loved that about Lift. I like to know the inner workings of the plot and all that good stuff too, but man Lift was funny.

Like I said, once she matures up a little bit, I probably won't have a problem.  But there is nothing against wanting the Herald of Justice to punish someone who is breaking the law...... I will agree that I think the Edgedancer stuff is cool and she could have a really cool role to play when she comes in the back half of the series as a POV character.

• Chaos locked this topic