Bendalloy, cadmium savants and Compounders

Asasasyn in White

Hello!

I recently tought about bendalloy savants. Savants gain some super ability that normal Mistings don't have. This ability is maybe moving speed bubble or shaping it in more ways. If so, they can gain something like steel feruchemy. What about Compounders? It is probably way more boosted ability to slow or speed time up. Imagine cadmium Misting that can pass days in seconds. They probably can make bubble bigger, how much bigger? Big like house? Maybe even more bigger?

Any toughts? 

I'm assuming that Cadmium/Bendalloy savants gain more control over how slow/fast their bubble moves relative to normal time (Note how Wax's savantism gave him a large amount of finite control over what exactly he pushes away from himself).  Compounding would give them (IIRC) infinite calories/oxygen (remember that the Feruchemical store is the one boosted, not the Allomantic power).  

14 hours ago, Asasasyn in White said:

Hello!

I recently tought about bendalloy savants. Savants gain some super ability that normal Mistings don't have. This ability is maybe moving speed bubble or shaping it in more ways. If so, they can gain something like steel feruchemy. What about Compounders? It is probably way more boosted ability to slow or speed time up. Imagine cadmium Misting that can pass days in seconds. They probably can make bubble bigger, how much bigger? Big like house? Maybe even more bigger?

Any toughts? 

Savantism just amplifies the effects. A tin savant, as we saw with Spook, had senses far amplified beyond normal. As such, I think a Cadmium/Bendalloy savant would just have finer control over how much time is compressed/expanded, and have a higher range.

Compounding doesn't boost abilities, as far as we've seen, though it has been hinted. So far, all that can be done with it is that it allows the twinborn to amplify a specific feruchemical charge. So a cadmium/bendalloy twinborn could increase their stored charge of calories/breath through allomancy. On the other hand, it has been hinted that there is a way to compound allomancy, this hasn't been revealed yet. In any case, it would probably have a similar effect as to what savantism does, without the spiritweb damage.

8 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

On the other hand, it has been hinted that there is a way to compound allomancy, this hasn't been revealed yet. In any case, it would probably have a similar effect as to what savantism does, without the spiritweb damage.

I always figured compound boosted allomancy would be duralumin boosted over the duration of the burn, but pseudo-savantism seems a lot more balanced.

1 hour ago, Asasasyn in White said:

But doesn't Wax has the ability to create a steel bubble that normal Coinshots don't have?

You have right but you are mixing two different concepts together.

- Savant:

A Savant is someone who further expanded his Allomancy after a long time of use. It's happened because the Allomancer's soul is soo stressed by the Allomantic power to twist for better accomodate it. It's actually a damage that allow him/her to go further the power he/she would otherwise have.

A Savant benefits form this status (to many deegre) with an improved Allomantic Strenght and (for some metals) the Ability to use his Allomancy to performe feat that usually is beyond the Scope that metal.

Example of Savant power are:

Steel/Iron: The ability to see more than a Steelline in an object, this allow to push/pull it in different way (Kelsier,Wax).

Bronze (not sure): The ability to understand what metal someone are burning (Kel, Vin, Marsh and probably a ton of other Seeker)

Copper: An expanded Coppercloud (and maybe a more hard to pierce coppercloud).

Tin: Senses so improved to give a daredevil like feel...it comes to the cost that the body is so addicted to the Allomancy to be quite senseless without

Pewter: immunity to pain (many pewter savant died, because they aren't unable to understand their own conditions.

As far as I remember the example we know ...Some Misting as Smoker and Seeker are usually Savant without even knowing, because they burning quite no-stop their metal.

- Compound 

It's a little hack that allow to use together two metallic art and in the end. Allow to free generate Feruchemical Charge. It's already explained full in the books and on the forum. But it works using a compatible metalmind as filtrer for the allomancy. This re-write the Allomantic effect of burning a metal and instead of Allomantic Power you obtain a Feruchemical Charge (more than the one in the burned Metalmind)

- Reverse Compound (an unofficial name and probably it's not in topic...but I prefer to be complete):

As far as we know the "reverse compounding" it's the skill that allow to boost allomancy using Feruchemy. It may be performed with every allomantic metal and Feruchemical Nicrosil. You store your Allomantic Strenght and then you may tap it to be for some time a stronger allomancer.

This would give up no "extra powers" but only an improved raw Allomantic Strenght.

Edited by Yata

Other question:

At compounding, you kind of could say you create yourself a new allomantic metal, which gives you feruchemical charge at burning right?

When burning it, the normal allomantic effect is lost (correct? not sure about this one).

So, is it possible to get a Savant at the metal you created for yourself? Like, the Lord Ruler being a Savant for Atium charged with youth? So he'd probably get even more out, or an extra effect...

28 minutes ago, Thunder_93 said:

At compounding, you kind of could say you create yourself a new allomantic metal, which gives you feruchemical charge at burning right?

When burning it, the normal allomantic effect is lost (correct? not sure about this one).

Yes you created a "new allomantic metal" (I don't really like this term but it's indeed right) and when you burn it you get only a feruchemical charge not it's allomantic effect (if you know how to compound)

28 minutes ago, Thunder_93 said:

So, is it possible to get a Savant at the metal you created for yourself? Like, the Lord Ruler being a Savant for Atium charged with youth? So he'd probably get even more out, or an extra effect...

I find very unlikely, you can't become a Feruchemist savant....You "probably" may become an Allomantic Savant and use the improved power in a Metal to burn faster your Metalmind.

Stupid Example: Miles and Rashek was both capable of compound Gold-Healing. But Rashek is a Stronger allomancer (at least twice stronger than Miles) and when He burns his metalmind He may burn them faster than Miles...In the end they both recive the same Feruchemical Charce (if they start with the same charge) but Rashek may did it faster.

In a loop of Compounding a strong allomancer would be capable of generate more Attribute because it may repeat the process faster

Edited by Yata

On 8.09.2016 at 9:54 AM, Yata said:

Bronze (not sure): The ability to understand what metal someone are burning (Kel, Vin, Marsh and probably a ton of other Seeker)

Marsh said that with enough practice a Seeker can say not only which metals are burned, but also how fast and how long will they last. I think he may have been refering to the effects of savantism, as many Seekers became savants without even knowing it.

Vin duraluminium burned bronze and could sense which emotions Breeze was Soothing, so I guess it can also be done by bronze savant.

Edited by Oversleep

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

Vin duraluminium burned bronze and could sense which emotions Breeze was Soothing, so I guess it can also be done by bronze savant.

Ok I didn't remember this :P

Anyway I wrote "maybe" because without a Official confirmation I don't want to spread a possible misinformation ^_^

I do often wonder if the price of bendalloy is due to rarity or difficulty making it. While it is as valuable as it is currently, I find it unlikely we will see a savant. It is also a power that doesn't have the same ability to slow burn while you are doing something else to become a savant (you can ignore blue lines with steel, keep copper and bronze on for ages); kind of boring to hang out in a tiny bubble for very long.

Cadmium may be different. Slow burning.  It sounds like Marasi could keep it burning for a whole day.

2 hours ago, nervousnerd said:

I do often wonder if the price of bendalloy is due to rarity or difficulty making it. While it is as valuable as it is currently, I find it unlikely we will see a savant. It is also a power that doesn't have the same ability to slow burn while you are doing something else to become a savant (you can ignore blue lines with steel, keep copper and bronze on for ages); kind of boring to hang out in a tiny bubble for very long.

Cadmium may be different. Slow burning.  It sounds like Marasi could keep it burning for a whole day.

There's a quote from Wayne in Alloy of Law:

Anyway, bendalloy is hard to make. Bismuth and cadmium aren't the kinds of metals you find in your corner store.

It's possible that he's referring to it being rare because he's in the Roughs. However, I think that he's also referring to the general rarity of the metals, even in more industrials areas like Elendel. So it's probably mainly a question of rarity, combined with the advantages burning bendalloy brings when burned.

Also, slow burning would never turn someone into a savant. You need to flare your metals for a long period to do so.

27 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Also, slow burning would never turn someone into a savant. You need to flare your metals for a long period to do so.

Granted, that may have been what they meant. Given their use of "slow-burning while doing other stuff" though, I'm not too sure.
I saw it as since it's a slow-burning metal, you won't run out very much. This means more opportunities to flare without restocking.
It's (IMO) the whole reason Spook savanted in the first place, because he hardly ran out so he could flare it anytime he needed.

42 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Granted, that may have been what they meant. Given their use of "slow-burning while doing other stuff" though, I'm not too sure.
I saw it as since it's a slow-burning metal, you won't run out very much. This means more opportunities to flare without restocking.
It's (IMO) the whole reason Spook savanted in the first place, because he hardly ran out so he could flare it anytime he needed.

That's a fair point. Didn't really read it as it meaning slow-burning metals. I thought it was just referring to the fact you cannot keep burning all the time due to limited amounts and/or that you would have to remain in a static location during. Still, a vague term. 

• Chaos locked this topic