Nyali

Long Game 26: Cognitive Dissonance

1,345 posts in this topic

Despite it being potentially unwise for me to sign up for a game this complicated as my schedule becomes increasingly busy, I somewhat feel obligated because of that fact. I'm in as Victor.

Edited by Amanuensis

I really shouldn't play, but this game looks too fun not too... I'm in as Bugsy

More than 25% of players so far say they shouldn't be playing, but are going to anyway. :P

5 minutes ago, Wonko the Sane said:

More than 100% of eaters so far say they shouldn't be eating it, but are going to anyway. :P

I have adjusted Wonko's statement so it applies to raw cookie dough.

1 hour ago, Wonko the Sane said:

More than 25% of players so far say they shouldn't be playing, but are going to anyway. :P

The madness both terrifies and intrigues. :P 

3 hours ago, Straw said:

Straw signing up as Gladium Paleas.

Notes: Fun fact: I come up with many of my names by running random things through google translate.  

I either do a variant of my username or else I'll use an English-Sindarin Dictionary (nerdy, right?) to make an elvish name with a hidden meaning.

Having discussed this with El, I think I'm going to play one last game before disappearing into the aether.

I'll sign up as Locke. Forgive me if my activity wanes at any point - I'm going to do my very best to devote time to the game, but depending on my work commitments may be have to vary activity a little.

1 hour ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Brandon Sanderson ftw right?

To give you an idea, I've played as a Santa-like inventor that gave toys to impoverished children; a veteran that sent money home to his family; a little girl that just wanted to survive with her brother; a wheelchair bound boy that wanted nothing more than to be accepted; and many more. 

All of them were ruthlessly killed in the name of "justice." 

If you think that our players will flinch, even just a little bit, at killing you just because of your name, you're highly underestimating the blood lust here. :P Not to mention possible sacrilege reasons. 

I really wish I could take part in this. The complexity of this game has me itching to figure out how it'll play out. Unfortunately, I have far too much on my plate right now as is and I have to request being added to the Spec Doc. 
If there's not spoilers in there and I can get everything under control before it starts, I'll gladly join! I just wouldn't expect it at this point. 

11 hours ago, Straw said:

I have adjusted Wonko's statement so it applies to raw cookie dough.

What.  

I think you just broke my brain.

What.

4 hours ago, Metacognition said:

To give you an idea, I've played as a Santa-like inventor that gave toys to impoverished children; a veteran that sent money home to his family; a little girl that just wanted to survive with her brother; a wheelchair bound boy that wanted nothing more than to be accepted; and many more. 

All of them were ruthlessly killed in the name of "justice." 

If you think that our players will flinch, even just a little bit, at killing you just because of your name, you're highly underestimating the blood lust here. :P Not to mention possible sacrilege reasons

@Darkness Ascendant Meta's right on that one. Although to be fair some of the said characters happened to be evil. (Take the one in the wheelchair for instance. He tried to peck everyone's faces off.)

2 minutes ago, Elenion said:

@Darkness Ascendant Meta's right on that one. Although to be fair some of the said characters happened to be evil. (Take the one in the wheelchair for instance. He tried to peck everyone's faces off.)

Funnily enough, the little girl who wanted to survive with her brother was in QF5, the only other SE FFA game that I know of. I'm not sure whether Meta deliberately sets up sympathetic characters just for FFA games, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

And because they were FFA games, they weren't killed in the name of justice. They were killed in the name of ruthless efficiency...

2 hours ago, The Young Bard said:

Funnily enough, the little girl who wanted to survive with her brother was in QF5, the only other SE FFA game that I know of. I'm not sure whether Meta deliberately sets up sympathetic characters just for FFA games, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

And because they were FFA games, they weren't killed in the name of justice. They were killed in the name of ruthless efficiency...

'Ruthless efficiency' sounds so... barbaric. I prefer 'sound tactics'. :D

Well, having a name like Brandon Sanderson does mean you'll probably get a more impressive death writeup, so it's not a complete waste. :P

A quick reminder - anyone who has not read one of the Cosmere books (including the White Sand graphic novel (Vol 1)) should please let me know via PM so we can avoid giving you a role from one of the books you have not yet read. I'd hate to spoil people if I can help it.

Edit: Minor rule change - Collect Research Materials now gives {3} if you have Mastery instead of {2}.

Edited by Nyali

Because school has started and I can't be on the computer 12 hours a day anymore, my activity levels will be very different than in the past few games. I'm also not going to start PMs and never lie for the entire game. The only things I will lie about (as in typing out an untruth and presenting it as truth) will be my alignment and role, for obvious reasons.

Don't let me being Brandon Sanderson hinder noir bloodlust at all, fellow sharders. just remember, when u die, you were privileged enough to to have died by the hands of a god XD

21 hours ago, Nyali said:

A quick reminder - anyone who has not read one of the Cosmere books (including the White Sand graphic novel (Vol 1)) should please let me know via PM so we can avoid giving you a role from one of the books you have not yet read. I'd hate to spoil people if I can help it.

So, what you've read limits what characters you can be? Cause, uh, I've only ever read the very first chapter of Mistborn, so anyone other than Kelsier would be a spoiler for me. :ph34r::P

Lies. :P  

On January 27, 2014 at 0:59 AM, The Only Joe said:

Hello Everyone, a Month back, I noticed that There was a character Named Hoid in Warbreaker and WoK, so I looked it up and found the Cosmere. 

-sigh-  I have way too much time on my hands.

Just now, Magestar said:

Wow. You went all the way back to my introductory post to disprove me? Nice.

(Also, you really amused Elbereth with that. so Congratz.)

1 hour ago, Magestar said:

Looks like we got a budding fact-checker in here!

2 hours ago, The Only Joe said:

So, what you've read limits what characters you can be?

Only if you want it to :P I doubt we'll get many people who have actually never read a Sanderson novel, uses this forum, and yet cares about spoilers.

Edited by Nyali