Demonstration of Existence

borg

Hello,

I discovered here after I started Words of Radience. Since the series got me hooked, I have been looking for discussions, theories or basically just more of this world. I think Brandon did a great worldbuilding job here. 

The first book of Stormlight Archive  was recommended to me by my friend after we both read Patrick Rothfuss' The Kingkiller Chronicle. Looks like I like strong protagonists. However, I must admit that Brandon's books have a more detailed and rooted universe. I am glad there are people out there like Pat and Brandon who spend their time to create new worlds for us to get lnto.

I might read other Cosmere books but I don't like to start a whole different book when I just got used to these.  Maybe later.

So, what do you think? What were you reading before you met Sanderson Universe? How do you compare it to the others? What do you recommend for the void between the 2nd and 3rd books? I am always looking for a good fantasy / sci-fi novel.

Hello there Borg! Have an upvote

Alot of people seem to have joined here after reading Stormlight Archive :/ me being no exception.

I think I was reading multiple books before discovering Brandon...erm. Stoneheart series and the 4th Brotherband book.

Brandon Sanderson outstrips most other authors I know purely from sheer quantity and quality.

During the void, you should read more Sanderson. If not read

1. A confusion of princes (Garth Nix)

2. 5 Kingdoms (Brandon Mull)

3. Traitor Son Cycle (Miles Cameron)

4. and Wyrmeweald

No pro-One day, a talented lass or fellow, a special one with face of yellow, will make the Piece of Resistance found from it's hiding refuge underground, and with a noble army at the helm, this Master Builder will thwart the Kragle and save the realm, and be the greatest, most interesting, most important person of all times. All this is true because it rhymes.

FATHER NO!

Hey there Borg!  Many welcomes to you! ;) Have an upvote and some chocolate chip cookies. :P *shoves imaginary plate over*

WoK and WoR swept me off my feet too!  I don't think I'd ever read anything quite like it before then.  I did start on Etlantris, but here's what I was reading before I got to Sanderson (and a few that have really impressed me with their style and storytelling XD).

1. Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan + Brandon Sanderson (he finished the last three books)-- This is actually how I got into Brandon Sanderson's writing style in the first place.  If you're looking for a fourteen book series that should last you 6 months-1 year, this is for you!  Really fantastic story telling and characters, though it can get a little tedious with the descriptions sometimes (think Tolkien).

2. Enders Game, by Orson Scott Card--Although this isn't fantasy, it is what I was reading around the time I got into Sanderson.  Really stellar writing and mind blowing ending.  Especially good if you like books about child prodigies.

3. Dragon Prince, by Melanie Rawn-- Just finished this one.  If you love a plot that constantly surprises you and characters that become your family (including the ones you love to hate), get this book immediately!  It's also part of a series, which is points in my book. 

Hope this helps and would love to see you around!!  :D

Thanks for the warm welcome and cookies, though I think there is an inside joke around here about cookies, that I don't know yet about:)

So for the recommendations, I have heard about Wheel of Time but it seemed too large to start at first, but now I read some from Sanderson, I think I might jump in.

I read the first 3 books of Ender's Game Series, last one I read being Xenocide. They were great. (In hindsight, I see that again there is an over powered protagonist :))

I don't know about others you mentioned, I will have to do a search :)

Other than that, I love Dune and Lord of the Rings. Typical but still...

Simply, I like the feel of a book more than its technical perfection. For example, if I remember some scene in Dune when a sunset catches my eye while I walk down the road, then this is a sign that it was a great story in my opinion. And I think these books may have the same power. Thanks for the suggestions again :) 

*starts eating imaginary cookies from the imaginary plate*

7 minutes ago, borg said:

Thanks for the warm welcome and cookies, though I think there is an inside joke around here about cookies, that I don't know yet about:)

So for the recommendations, I have heard about Wheel of Time but it seemed too large to start at first, but now I read some from Sanderson, I think I might jump in.

I read the first 3 books of Ender's Game Series, last one I read being Xenocide. They were great. (In hindsight, I see that again there is an over powered protagonist :))

I don't know about others you mentioned, I will have to do a search :)

Other than that, I love Dune and Lord of the Rings. Typical but still...

Simply, I like the feel of a book more than its technical perfection. For example, if I remember some scene in Dune when a sunset catches my eye while I walk down the road, then this is a sign that it was a great story in my opinion. And I think these books may have the same power. Thanks for the suggestions again :) 

*starts eating imaginary cookies from the imaginary plate*

Noooo! The cookies were spiked.

Well, what's done is done. You ate the cookies, you're now an Inquisitor :D 

Anyway, have you read The Way of Shadows? Or any other Brent Weeks' book?

Welcome and have an upvote (I don't offer cookies)  :) 

Welcome, and congratulations on your new Inquisitor-status. For books I would recommend Game of Thrones, (though it is a little violent) and the dagger and the coin series by Daniel Abraham. For sci-fi, I've heard good things about Nemesis Games, though I've never read it. 

EDIT: Nemesis games is the fifth book. The first is Leviathan Wakes.

Edited by Assassin in Burgundy
Changes title

• 1 year later...
On 6/9/2016 at 7:12 AM, Mistbornwithakitty said:

Enders Game, by Orson Scott Card--Although this isn't fantasy, it is what I was reading around the time I got into Sanderson.  Really stellar writing and mind blowing ending.  Especially good if you like books about child prodigies.

This was for many years my favourite book. Until, of course, I met Brandon :)

On 6/9/2016 at 7:57 AM, borg said:

How would you feel with an overpower female protagonist? Try EON and EONA .