Magic systems & leaving one's homeland?

Adurna

So hey, I'm new here and I apologise in advance if this has been brought up/answered before.

I was wondering, what with the localised magic systems on Sel, why is it that the Elantrians seem to retain their overall appearance and physical changes (e.g. Raoden being able to run faster than other humans etc.) when travelling to Teod, but not their specific powers? Similarly, the Dakhor monks don't just become "normal" when leaving Fjorden, but retain their... modifications?

I actually have multiple questions about this. Is it possible that they could reach a certain distance from their homeland where even these changes would fade and they would revert to normal human beings? Or do you believe that they will stay the way they are? It seems, IMO, that the Shaod can only take someone in Arelon and one can only become Dakhor in Fjorden, but while the "activation" of these processes can only happen in a specific location, (at least some of) their effects are kept even if someone travels to another place. Similar to this is the case with Forton's potions, which I read (somewhere on this forum) are confirmed as somehow Invested, but are still effective outside his homeland.

If this is the case (and I'm just wildly speculating here), if someone were to change themselves (or even an object?) via Soulstamp/Essence Mark and then travel to another country, would it hold? It's pretty clear from other examples that you would not be able to apply the stamp elsewhere, but would it be "rejected" once taken away from MaiPon?

Of course I could be wildly wrong here but I wanted to ask what everyone's opinion on this is and whether or not Brandon has said anything about this that I've missed.

ok you put a lot of matter in a single topic, I will try to answer to all:

The Selish's magic is location dependant (as you said) and the users will recive less Dor as far their travel from their "area".

There are some magic users who are affected more and some less. Elantrians for example are weakened also traveling in the Arelon-Teod region (their region) because the power they show in Elantris area is above its natural level (Elantris boost Aondor) and what you see in Teod is the "standard power" if they continue going far away their power would decrease further (as any other Sel mage).

The Monk have less problem with this because some of their "powers" are indeed not magical (Dor dependant), their anatomy was twisted and this upgrades remain also without magic help..of course the active magic boost become weak with the distance.

About the Soul Forgery it's a low Investiture Magic, therefore may probably work fine for longer distances before show problems...but notice that in Elantris's area nobody seems to know the existence of Forgery therefore it's probably Forgery can't reach them, remember that Mai Pon si very very far from Elantris. Therefore soon of later also a perfect stamp would be rejected if you take it long enough from Mai Pon.

A Selish magic user may go whetever he want. But he must accept that his ability will continue decrease over and over until he has no ability at all (for example on another Planet) as we saw in another books

I know I have many questions, sorry! But here's some more questions! :D

So if what you're saying is right, then going too far from Arelon would reverse the Shaod somehow? Or does that fall in the same category of the changes in anatomy in the monks and they would remain with having silver hair and faster regeneration and the like? Isn't it possible that Galladon is simply disguising himself in Roshar? I wish I lived somewhere that Brandon goes for signings so I could ask him all this but I have no such luck...

34 minutes ago, Adurna said:

I know I have many questions, sorry! But here's some more questions! :D

So if what you're saying is right, then going too far from Arelon would reverse the Shaod somehow? Or does that fall in the same category of the changes in anatomy in the monks and they would remain with having silver hair and faster regeneration and the like? Isn't it possible that Galladon is simply disguising himself in Roshar? I wish I lived somewhere that Brandon goes for signings so I could ask him all this but I have no such luck...

I can't find it now, but I believe there was a WoB saying that the Elantrian skin faded if they got far enough, which is why Galladon simply looked dark-skinned on Roshar (and he's bald, so no silvery hair, so we can't confirm that part).  That part of their appearance may be from the Dor building up in them.  I doubt they get much, if any, benefit like faster regeneration once they're far from Elantris too, and almost certainly not once they leave Sel.

jW

3 hours ago, Jondesu said:

I can't find it now, but I believe there was a WoB saying that the Elantrian skin faded if they got far enough, which is why Galladon simply looked dark-skinned on Roshar (and he's bald, so no silvery hair, so we can't confirm that part).  That part of their appearance may be from the Dor building up in them.  I doubt they get much, if any, benefit like faster regeneration once they're far from Elantris too, and almost certainly not once they leave Sel.

jW

Ah interesting, I might look for that source! ;)

• Chaos locked this topic