Theory: Jewels was loyal to Vivenna

mitchgegg

Now we know Denth, Tonk Fah, and Jewels were secretly working for Bluefingers and the Pahn Khal faction within T'telir. However I believe Jewels was secretly loyal to Vivenna, or at least believed in her peace cause. Jewels seems to be the main caretaker of the Lifeless Clod. How could she be so incredibly careless as to let Vivenna hear the security phrase for Clod? Or did she want Vivenna to know it, so Vivenna could escape Denth's impending betrayal. Not only this, but Clod also finds and protects Vivenna during the riot in the Idrian slum. Yes she's quite cold to Vivenna, and during one of their exchanges she tells of her deep faith in the Hallendren and the Iridescent tones. It could be she got involved with Denth to undermine his efforts to bring down Hallendren. And what better way to undermine Denth than to send an incredibly powerful awakener on a peace mission. But who knows, Denth and Tonk Fah were huge liars, so Jewels probably is as well, and I'd like to get to know her better in Nightblood

Interesting thought. However, since Clod is Arsteel, who was one of the Five Scholars with Denth and Vasher, it implies that Jewel has known Denth for a very long time. As such, I don't think she would be prone to betraying him. Regarding the security phrase, Jewel probably just completely underestimated Vivenna. We know that she had a fairly shallow opinion of her, so I'm not surprised she was a bit careless. Also, since Vivenna was from Idris, Jewel might've thought she didn't know anything about lifeless and wouldn't have recognized the command. Finally, I think that Jewel was whispering (IIRC), so she didn't expect it to be overheard.

I just looked over the scene where Jewels leaks "Howl of the sun" again. Yeah, it was definitely accidental, and not as careless as I remembered upon first read. But what I'm really curious about is why Jewels and Clod seem to disappear from the story after Denth reveals their treachery. I still want to know more about her motives. She can't just be in it for money, Denth certainly wasn't.

Right. Denth was in for getting a crack at Vasher I think. My theory is that he knew that if there was a reasonable threat to the God King's trove of breaths, Vasher would have to step in to protect it. Denth would then get his chance to avenge Arsteel. Jewel was originally with them because she was in love with Arsteel, stuck around after he died and got turned into a lifeless. I imagine Jewel probably left with Clod because she didn't want to get between Denth and Vasher's fight. We know that she went to Yesteel at the end to try to awaken more of Arsteel in Clod. [source]

Edited by Spoolofwhool

• 3 weeks later...

Despite all the details we get in Warbreaker, we really don't learn that much about Nalthis outside of this small, geographical region.

Spoiler

Now that we've seen two characters from Nalthis, Vasher/Zahel and Nightblood, appear on Roshar, I wonder if Yesteel and crew came after Vasher and chased him off the planet.  It makes me wonder more about Vivenna, who was with Vasher at the end of Warbreaker, and if she came with him to Roshar!

On 9/19/2016 at 10:51 PM, VirtuousTraveller said:

Despite all the details we get in Warbreaker, we really don't learn that much about Nalthis outside of this small, geographical region.

Hide contents

Now that we've seen two characters from Nalthis, Vasher/Zahel and Nightblood, appear on Roshar, I wonder if Yesteel and crew came after Vasher and chased him off the planet.  It makes me wonder more about Vivenna, who was with Vasher at the end of Warbreaker, and if she came with him to Roshar!

Idk i have a feeling that the falling out between Nightblood and Vasher why they are not together in Roshar probably involves something that happened with Vivenna (considering that Nightblood likes her) and she's not around Vasher(or she's probably long dead or just still in Nalthias for all i know)

• 3 weeks later...

QUESTION

If Vasher is on Roshar where the hell is Vivenna?

BRANDON SANDERSON

OOOOOH that’s a RAFO!

He could just be trolling us, but this seems to imply that Vivenna being dead is not a likely option...

As for Jewels being on Vivenna's side, the fact that Clod came to save her was the most interesting proof to me, until I realized that that was all part of Denth's plan. He needed Vivenna to continue undermining the Hallandren war efforts, and so her dying would not suit him either. He likely sent Clod to save her, knowing that she was getting overrun by the Lifeless guards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic