Kaladin and Shallan

Xaklys

Not to deter further discussion about the ethics of Adolin's actions, but to comment on the original topic...

I can't stand love triangles. I mean, a little bit of teasing to make us wonder what will happen is great. But I don't like reading about teenage drama, which is what ever love triangle seems to degrade into. If the Shallan-Adolin-Kaladin triangle is still around by the end of book 4 (at least) then I'll be disappointed.

I personally prefer Adolin.

Mainly because it feels less cliche. I also think there's more room for growth of a Shallan-Adolin relationship. If it just continues as it is then I'd certainly be disappointed, but there are all kinds of ways that Brandon could introduce some interesting conflict and development into their romance. If you think Shallan and Adolin make a boring couple or a bad fit then you're ignoring the potential that they have, I think.

Shallan and Kaladin, on the other hand, are both heavyweight characters. They've got their own stories to tell. I honestly don't see how anyone can think there's ROOM for a Shallan-Kaladin love story. It would be completely eclipsed by their personal story arcs. And the two of them (along with their romance) would totally hog the epic story that Brandon is telling. No... That just doesn't make sense to me from a storytelling standpoint. Adolin is a fascinating character, but he's not so strong that he'll get in the way of a romance story on the side.

Yes, Shallan and Kaladin both had a difficult past. And they certainly shared a powerful experience being stuck in the chasms during a highstorm. That absolutely explains their awkward relationship at the moment. It doesn't at all mean they're good for each other. Kaladin could certainly use her optimism and all... But I'd much rather seem him conquer his own depression (or learn to live with it better) rather than just be paired with a woman who can patch up the problem. And after everything else... he (probably) killed her brother. I can see Shallan making peace with this, certainly, but I absolutely can't see her being romanced by Kaladin after discovering this. It would make no sense for her character.

And Shallan and Adolin DO have a lot in common. Heck, they've both murdered people because they felt it was morally justified and necessary. I'd like to see Adolin being broken in some way, considering he's lived such a smooth and privileged rich-boy life up to this point. He needs some depth for Shallan to connect with. But there's plenty of time for that to develop. Heck, it's likely coming right up, given his final actions in WoR.

• 6 months later...

Personally I feel that Shallan and Kaladin work very well. I work in the psychological field and its the similarities that work in a relationship not the differences. I see alot of people stating. Opposites attract, which is true at times, but as time goes its similarities and what is more similar that what kaladin and shallan have? Think of it like this if Shallan talks about her past and her feelings and her life to Adolin im sure he would be a very active listener and would do what he could to be there for her, But can he understand? Does he know such hardship? I feel that Adolin and Shallan are far closer to opposites than Kaladin and Shallan are. When has she disclosed really anything of herself or her life to Adolin? It almost feels more like she is leading him on than anything. Why has there been little depth in their conversations and interactions shy of her just pushing into him to kiss him? I feel like there is just not enough for them to stand on. It may happen and im reading things differently due to personal bias's but I feel Adolin is more the opposite of Kaladin and Shallan instead. Do i think the chasm's was romantic. Very little was. It was more biased on them understanding each other and throughout the entire book its probably the only time where Shallan feels she is the most real with herself and another. The one time she doesn't just hide or lie or try to be something she is not. Its the one time other than maybe with her mentor that she is truly honest about herself and her feelings. That can be a corner stone of romance but that does not mean the experience was romantic. It really does set that table though if that is the path that will be followed. Thats just what I see in it. Feel free to rip it apart and tell me im wrong or have no idea what im talking about :P 

I had a horrible realization.

Once Shallan becomes more comfortable with having two identities, she might date Kaladin as Veil, ending in a You've Got Mail kind of romance, with her eventually running out of Stormlight, Kaladin learning it's Shallan, and them either breaking up, or getting together and pushing Adolin out of the picture until his perspective book.

I don't want this to happen at all. Too much stuff happening for the love square to take up valuable pages.

2 hours ago, Elisar said:

Does he know such hardship? 

Does a victim of rape needs to pair herself with a man having lived through rape himself if she is to hope for understanding?

Does a victim of household abuse needs to pair herself with a man having lived through a similar traumatic childhood is she wishes for sympathetic comprehension?

Understanding does come out of shared experienced: it comes from the capacity to put oneself into someone else's shoes. Some people can naturally emphasize with other people's hardships without having lived through similar horrors while other people can't transpose themselves into anyone shoes even if they share similar tragedies within their past. 

Adolin may not know about being psychologically abused, but he knows about growing up with an authoritative father insisting on micro-managing down to his leisure time. He also knows about needing to protect family members from harm. He may not be broken, but he is a highly empathetic individual who just...listens when talked to. Often, victims of abuse aren't looking for someone to correlate their past hardships, they are looking for someone to listen to them without judging. They are looking for an ear and Adolin is probably the best non-pressuring ear within the cast.

I also strongly agree with @jofwu. I too feel story arcs revolving around Shallan/Adolin are more various and more interesting. They have serious potential while I do feel Shallan/Kaladin are more conventional.

This being said, one cannot argue against personal tastes: many readers just love the Shallan/Kaladin dynamic.

So far I've seen Shalladin, Shadolin, Jasnah and Kaladin and one memorable instance of some other thread going for a Jasnah and Shallan pairing. So many possible ships - even Szeth and Eshonai are getting dragged into the mix, yet why am I the only one who seems to think that Renarin and Shallan could be a good pairing? *sniff**sniff*

*sniff* I just want my OTP to have representation... Is that too much to ask? *sniff*

9 hours ago, Mr. Staccato said:

So far I've seen Shalladin, Shadolin, Jasnah and Kaladin and one memorable instance of some other thread going for a Jasnah and Shallan pairing. So many possible ships - even Szeth and Eshonai are getting dragged into the mix, yet why am I the only one who seems to think that Renarin and Shallan could be a good pairing? *sniff**sniff*

*sniff* I just want my OTP to have representation... Is that too much to ask? *sniff*

Shallan/Renarin used to be the leading ship prior to WoR release. My personal thoughts are it was made possible due to gaping holes left within both of their characters after WoK. Ever heard of the Standing OC trope? I feel a lot of Renarin discussions, especially those at the times of WoK, were digging heavily into it. In other words, the tropes call for a barely fleshed out characters, one with a few leading lines being established, but not much else, which catches the interest of fans thus proceeding to fill-in the holes with whatever they wish to read.

I have seen a lot of it with Renarin and former Shallarin ship surfed heavily on it. It ran on the assumption Shallan would necessarily be looking for deep interest in scholarship within a partner and on the assumption Renarin has the mind of a scholar. None of these items were ever made canon: many fans just thought it fitted. Shallarin also required Shallan to be a very patient individual willing to slowly help built confidence in Renarin while WoR made it clear she has no patience for self-pitying. She is an action-oriented girl and she doesn't waste time whining and/or complaining about her sorry lot in life, worst the attitude in others just grates her. It grated her how Kaladin just kept on purposefully being mean to Adolin, kept on thinking the whole world has ploted to make his life miserable and she calls him out for it. Kaladin, at least, is able to pull himself together and to concede she has a point. Renarin? As far as we can tell, he just sank further down into his inner issues and even if he manages to get a grip of himself (which I sincerely hope he will, please have him figure out how to be useful), to stop focusing on what he doesn't' have, he still will probably never reach a confidence level which Shallan would find attractive. Or maybe he will, but it will be several years down the road. Several years too late for Shallan.

Hence, this is why I do not think Renarin/Shallan works: Shallan's mindset is to focus on what she can do as opposed to obsess over what she cannot do. Anyone not sharing her energy would end up dragging her down. Adolin, as it turns out, has exactly the same mindset: focus on what you can do and try not to let your worries take up too much place or, at least, do not allow the,m to pester the whole world.

As for Renarin... I do not think anyone has ever suggested, but how about Renarin/Drehy? We know Drehy is getting a boyfriend, but we do not know who... So what if Renarin's apparent complete lack of interest in women was linked to him just having other preferences?

3 hours ago, maxal said:

As for Renarin... I do not think anyone has ever suggested, but how about Renarin/Drehy? We know Drehy is getting a boyfriend, but we do not know who... So what if Renarin's apparent complete lack of interest in women was linked to him just having other preferences?

I thought the WoB regarding Drehy was that his husband would be receiving some screen time in Oathbringer.  Which is no object for some shippers, but there you are.  

17 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

I thought the WoB regarding Drehy was that his husband would be receiving some screen time in Oathbringer.  Which is no object for some shippers, but there you are.  

Did Brandon say the word "husband"? I thought he said Drehy would have a boyfriend... I took it it might be a new relationship, not an already existing one. Mind, it may also be I am remembering wrong. 

1 minute ago, maxal said:

Did Brandon say the word "husband"? I thought he said Drehy would have a boyfriend... I took it it might be a new relationship, not an already existing one. Mind, it may also be I am remembering wrong. 

Yes, the word "husband" was mentioned, IIRC.  Unfortunately I can't search for it now because phone.  

2 hours ago, maxal said:

Did Brandon say the word "husband"? I thought he said Drehy would have a boyfriend...

I think the same, but cannot prove it yet.

Searching Theoryland, there is nothing via the keyword "husband", "boyfriend" or "Drehy" besides Brandon saying that Drehy is gay at two points. It's probably on Reddit, but I've never been good at perusing that from scratch. Scratch that, it's on twitter and only says "romantic interest"

Brandon Sanderson

@_allex23 Drehy the bridgeman is gay, and we will meet a romantic interest for him in the next book. There are others.

And he mentions "the family and romantic relationships of the bridgemen are becoming a larger part of the story."

Still no direct specificity on Drehy though

Edited by The One Who Connects

30 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I think the same, but cannot prove it yet.

Searching Theoryland, there is nothing via the keyword "husband", "boyfriend" or "Drehy" besides Brandon saying that Drehy is gay at two points. It's probably on Reddit, but I've never been good at perusing that from scratch. Scratch that, it's on twitter and only says "romantic interest"

And he mentions "the family and romantic relationships of the bridgemen are becoming a larger part of the story."

Still no direct specificity on Drehy though

I remember the same which would leave the room open for someone like Renarin. I might however has missed one relevant WoB: I am omniscient and while I do try to be :ph34r:, it isn't impossible I missed one.

22 hours ago, maxal said:

He may not be broken, but he is a highly empathetic individual who just...listens when talked to. Often, victims of abuse aren't looking for someone to correlate their past hardships, they are looking for someone to listen to them without judging. They are looking for an ear and Adolin is probably the best non-pressuring ear within the cast.

His heartless murder completely deludes this argument. Alodin is very straight forward and direct (much like his father) which does not bode well for being non-judgmental. Honest yes but i fear even that may change somewhat. He may do things and appear noble but he still thinks much more of who and what he is (light-eyes prince) than a person who would do well listening. Yes he may be more than willing to listen to her but if he is upset with anyone he is about as open minded as a rock. Also the way in which Shallan describes him feels like she constantly is talking about his outward appearance but of little else.

A for the rape victim quote im not feeling that requires a responds. Thats a little heavier than their being broken and requires far more than just a single person who will listen non-judgmentally. That type of trauma work is a rather poor example in comparison.

My other issue with Alodin is simply my own bias. People are bothered by the trope that Shallan and Kalladin fall in but considering the one that Alodin and shallan fall in i find the latter far less bothersome. I've had enough Disney type romances shoved down my throat and another one is even more cliche than the other option. Honestly i would take anything but Alodin and Shallan if only for this reason. 

My only other concern is the possibility of Kalladin on his own with nobody. The noble hero who sacrifice's everything for the future of the world. Though I don't mind this scenario I feel its happened to many times. Regardless that is a long list of many possibilities at this point. Some i feel are far more out there than others but who knows.

Jasnah x Kaladin is one I would be scared to even see. Mostly because I cannot imagine Jasnah with anyone unless they were either an obedient slave or shockingly as smart or smarter than her (wit?) but again who knows. Regardless i will continue to stick to my point and continue to ask the question of how shallan and kalladin are opposites instead of shallan/kalladin and Alodin are not.

3 minutes ago, Elisar said:

His heartless murder completely deludes this argument. Alodin is very straight forward and direct (much like his father) which does not bode well for being non-judgmental. Honest yes but i fear even that may change somewhat. He may do things and appear noble but he still thinks much more of who and what he is (light-eyes prince) than a person who would do well listening. Yes he may be more than willing to listen to her but if he is upset with anyone he is about as open minded as a rock. Also the way in which Shallan describes him feels like she constantly is talking about his outward appearance but of little else.

Adolin murdering Sadeas was everything but cold and heartless: it was passionate, enraged, definitely filled with many emotions, too many emotions. A lot of readers insist Adolin committed a cold-blooded murder, but just reading the scene proves the opposite: it was a crime of passion, a crime of need, but not a heartless crime. Adolin kills not because he lacks heart, but because he has too much of it.

Also, being honest and straight-forward doesn't make Adolin judgmental especially since he is the only one who actually listens to Kaladin and, even better, believes him. I also do not understand why Adolin only appears to be noble: he saves a prostitute, he sits in prison with Kaladin, what more must the man do? Adolin is nice. He does care. He hasn't have one selfish thought in two books. He has repetitively put other people in front of him. Of course, he still thinks of himself as a lighteyed, we can't ask people to have egalitarian views in a world which has no idea what they might be: we can't fault characters for not endorsing our modern day sensibilities. We can however look for potential, can Adolin ever be made to understand? I say yes, much easier than basically anyone else on the cast. Why? Because he already cares for the plight of poor people waking down his path.

I would also point out Adolin is the only character who has actually listened to others, taken the time to hear what they might have to say, to mourn for the men who died. He isn't as open-minded as a rock: when Adolin bucks, it is when he feels the other party is either lying and/or trying to manipulate his father. Turns out he was right, every single time. If not, then he does listen, every single time, even if he does not agree, he still listens, he still obeys, except for this last scene, but I could write an essay on it alone.

Shallan and Adolin have only dated for a few dates: this is rather quick to start thinking of the other ones in much deeper thoughts. They haven't had the time to grow pass the initial physical attraction. Not all relationships are trust down a chasm in order to speed up the process: it doesn't however means they will never confide into each other.

14 minutes ago, Elisar said:

A for the rape victim quote im not feeling that requires a responds. Thats a little heavier than their being broken and requires far more than just a single person who will listen non-judgmentally. That type of trauma work is a rather poor example in comparison.

I felt it was rather adequate considering it is assumed Kaladin is the only which will ever be able to understand Shallan as he lived through pass trauma. I meant to point out the analogy was fallacious because having pass trauma doesn't guarantee comprehension just has not having them does not guarantee incomprehension. Even if we were to consider having pass hardships increases the potential of understanding, I would say Kaladin's hardships bear absolutely no common link with Shallan's: they do not give him additional qualification to further understand her, not anymore than Adolin. 

Shallan has been forced to murder both of her parents, on a scale from one to ten, I'd say her trauma ranks pretty high, just as rape rates very high as well. Of course, one cannot compare pains and hardships but I meant to illustrate you can't start to pair people merely based on the fact they have both been broken. Real-life victims of trauma, any trauma, aren't all looking for pass trauma within a partner, worst I would say it should be better if they weren't. 

As for requiring additional help, I would say all characters need additional help, especially Kaladin, but it does not exist in Alethkar, so they have to make do with what they've got.

22 minutes ago, Elisar said:

My other issue with Alodin is simply my own bias. People are bothered by the trope that Shallan and Kalladin fall in but considering the one that Alodin and shallan fall in i find the latter far less bothersome. I've had enough Disney type romances shoved down my throat and another one is even more cliche than the other option. Honestly i would take anything but Alodin and Shallan if only for this reason. 

We all have our biases, but I find it amusing because if there is one pairing which is standard, traditional and overdone, it is Kaladin/Shallan. The grumpy, dark, mysterious under-dog for whom the spirited richer girl falls for has been the topic of about every single romantic comedies within the last three decades. Adolin/Shallan are very far from the usual tropes.

I would also point out the Disney princess tropes do not apply. Oh, they would apply had the story remained about impoverish Shallan falling for rich handsome prince Adolin, but the story has evolve pass those initial premises. Shallan has gained super-powers and now ranks much higher than Adolin, higher than he can ever hope to rank. She is the most important woman in the entire universe and while he might still be a prince, he has killed a man. He will have to face the consequences. He will lose much of his "shinning" once the story is done with him and by the time he and Shallan was ready to tie the knot, providing it is where they are heading, we can be sure the union won't be about a prince and a poor girl. I once compared Adolin to a subverted Prince Charming trope: he starts as one, but the more the story advances, the more things start to go bad for him, the ultimate symbol being the death of his white stallion.

I would also point out Disney romances aren't all following the princess trope. Aladin is a poor self-made man which gets the spirited princess, very reminiscent of Kaladin and Shallan. Mulan has the princess taking up arms and falling for another soldier, so again more similar to Kaladin/Shallan. Tarzan has Jane fall for the mysterious untamed forest man. Tangled has the princess fall for the thief with a great heart, so again Kaladin/Shallan. These are just movies I can think of from the top of my mind: Disney did much more than Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella. They have worked with various tropes, but one thing they never did is the prince falling down from grace and being suddenly trust into a union where his lady suddenly ranks higher than he does. This is what many of us find so interesting.

Then again, I cannot argue against any reader's personal preferences. I can however ask you what it would take, within the story, for you to warm up to the Adolin/Shallan ship? Is there any way you could come to appreciate it or are you completely against it? This is purely out of curiosity.

45 minutes ago, Elisar said:

My only other concern is the possibility of Kalladin on his own with nobody. The noble hero who sacrifice's everything for the future of the world. Though I don't mind this scenario I feel its happened to many times. Regardless that is a long list of many possibilities at this point. Some i feel are far more out there than others but who knows

Ah this, I definitely agree. I would rather Brandon finds more imaginative ways to wrap up Kaladin's story arc then to have him perform the "heroic" sacrifice. I hate this trope and I hate it even more when it is given to characters such as Kaladin whom are already portrayed as being "better than everyone else". It works much better if you use the unlikely character to pull it off, like Roion jumping on Szeth to protect Dalinar, much more efficient, but YMMV.

47 minutes ago, Elisar said:

Jasnah x Kaladin is one I would be scared to even see. Mostly because I cannot imagine Jasnah with anyone unless they were either an obedient slave or shockingly as smart or smarter than her (wit?) but again who knows. Regardless i will continue to stick to my point and continue to ask the question of how shallan and kalladin are opposites instead of shallan/kalladin and Alodin are not.

I can't imagine it either. I fear however I do not get the meaning of your last sentence. Do you mean to say Kaladin and Shallan are opposite or you feel it is Adolin and Shallan which are? If you ask for my opinion, I'd say both pairs have common ground and opposition, just as most real-life unions. It thus comes down to which individual one would rather wake-up next to for the reminder of their life, which one do they feel they can have common ground, common goal, which one are they genuinely happy to be with no matter what other flaws they might have. 

Everyone will grate on everyone for a list of given reasons, but when you are with the right individuals those things stop mattering. The question thus is, what matters most to Shallan? The answer, I am afraid, isn't currently all that clear.

On 11.3.2017 at 4:25 AM, Walin said:

Once Shallan becomes more comfortable with having two identities, she might date Kaladin as Veil, ending in a You've Got Mail kind of romance, with her eventually running out of Stormlight, Kaladin learning it's Shallan, and them either breaking up, or getting together and pushing Adolin out of the picture until his perspective book.

I don't want this to happen at all. Too much stuff happening for the love square to take up valuable pages.

Oh, HELL NO. I ship Shallan and Kaladin, but I would not want this to happen.

In terms of the Kaladin/Shallan romance I would much rather there be a moment where they acknowledge each others feelings before choosing to be with other people. I prefer a parallel with the Gavilar/Dalinar/Navani triangle and Adolin/Kaladin/Shallan where if Kaladin and Shallan do end up together it is in the second set of 5 books after the time skip (if they are still alive:ph34r:). I think the Adolin/Kaladin relationship is developing like squabbling brothers so Kaladin would fit into this where others have thought that Renarin would have filled Dalinar's part.

What do you guys think?

So... I could read everybody's opinion... or I could just post my own.

First off, I want Shallan x Adolin. Adolin is a good guy, Shallan keeps him on his toes. They have good chemistry (at least I think so) and they make each other happy, which is the most important thing in a relationship. (I think)

Thing is, I don't think it's going to happen.

The-One-And-Only-Reason-My-Ship-Wouldn't-Work-Out (TOAORMSWWO): Adolin is not a Radiant. That's almost enough said. As Radiants, Shallan and Kaladin are practically immortal, and it doesn't take much thinking to now that a relationship where one person grows old and the other doesn't won't work out. Of course, Adolin could suddenly become a Radiant, but honestly, I don't think Brandon's going to do it. You can't have ALL the main characters becoming magic. :P (well... you can... but Sanderson's too good of a writer to do that. :D)

I predict that Shallan and Kaladin are going to be partners, but more in the way cops have partners, rather than romantic partners. Maybe they'll go through the ages working together as super-cops. Maybe there will be sparks flying. But that's how I see it going down.

(But I still wish Shallan x Adolin would happen :ph34r:)

Just now, The Technovore said:

So... I could read everybody's opinion... or I could just post my own.

First off, I want Shallan x Adolin. Adolin is a good guy, Shallan keeps him on his toes. They have good chemistry (at least I think so) and they make each other happy, which is the most important thing in a relationship. (I think)

Thing is, I don't think it's going to happen.

The-One-And-Only-Reason-My-Ship-Wouldn't-Work-Out (TOAORMSWWO): Adolin is not a Radiant. That's almost enough said. As Radiants, Shallan and Kaladin are practically immortal, and it doesn't take much thinking to now that a relationship where one person grows old and the other doesn't won't work out. Of course, Adolin could suddenly become a Radiant, but honestly, I don't think Brandon's going to do it. You can't have ALL the main characters becoming magic. :P (well... you can... but Sanderson's too good of a writer to do that. :D)

I predict that Shallan and Kaladin are going to be partners, but more in the way cops have partners, rather than romantic partners. Maybe they'll go through the ages working together as super-cops. Maybe there will be sparks flying. But that's how I see it going down.

(But I still wish Shallan x Adolin would happen :ph34r:)

First off, Radiants aren't immortal: they age just as anyone else.

Second off, Adolin is not one of Brandon's main characters so he may as well do whatever he wishes with him.

So huh don't sink your ship just yet ;)

Aren't they? huh.

Welp. The Shallan x Adolin ship sails on!

I guess the only other reason it wouldn't work out is because like you said @maxal, he's not one of Sanderson's main characters... and as much as I like him he seems like the type that dies in a really cool way. (or a really tragic and sad way.)

Aren't they? huh.

Nope. Shocking news, huh?

Welp. The Shallan x Adolin ship sails on!

A lot of people still think it might sail.

1 minute ago, The Technovore said:

I guess the only other reason it wouldn't work out is because like you said @maxal, he's not one of Sanderson's main characters... and as much as I like him he seems like the type that dies in a really cool way. (or a really tragic and sad way.)

He could be dying except Adolin dying was Brandon's initial plan and he changed it... Not being one of Brandon's major character is exactly what might make it work because, to be honest, having Shallan and Kaladin become a item would take over too much of the main narrative. Adolin wouldn't, though I'd rather he grew within the story to take over when Shallan starts to fade back because I just find him more interesting than basically anyone else :o

On 3/10/2017 at 10:25 PM, Walin said:

!. There might be something to the idea of Shallan using her two identities to juggle both of them.  I think that would lead to some interesting drama and character moments.
2. Kaladin's reaction to finding out that Shallan is Veil, should such a romance occur, would entirely depend on how Kaladin continues to feel about Shallan.  I personally think he has a deep admiration for her now that he understands more about her and that could maybe lead to feelings.
3. Adolin is not getting a perspective book.  He is an important character but we will not be getting a flashback book for him.

Also with Kaladin returning home and then with him likely to be POV character to see what's going on in Kholinar and Alethcar on the ground level, so it's unlikely that the Kaladin/Shallan relationship will have any time to develop in at least a large(-ish?) portion of Oathbringer. We're more likely to see the development and/or decline of the Adolin/Shallan relationship.

I don't know about the dual identities, what reason would Shallan have to fool Kaladin as Veil? And I/m pretty sure Kal would figure it out prety quickly because of Syl recognising Patttern and Lightweaving (can she detect other spren's magic....can't remember now:huh:)

I would like to see how Dalinar and Navini would react to Adolin and Shallan ending things, imagine the awkwardness at the next radiant meeting:lol: 

5 hours ago, sonNeturo said:

Also with Kaladin returning home and then with him likely to be POV character to see what's going on in Kholinar and Alethcar on the ground level, so it's unlikely that the Kaladin/Shallan relationship will have any time to develop in at least a large(-ish?) portion of Oathbringer. We're more likely to see the development and/or decline of the Adolin/Shallan relationship.

I don't know about the dual identities, what reason would Shallan have to fool Kaladin as Veil? And I/m pretty sure Kal would figure it out prety quickly because of Syl recognising Patttern and Lightweaving (can she detect other spren's magic....can't remember now:huh:)

I would like to see how Dalinar and Navini would react to Adolin and Shallan ending things, imagine the awkwardness at the next radiant meeting:lol: 

Could be that Kaladin requests Shallans assistance in Kholinar. If he even goes to Kholinar

Spoiler

after leaving Everstorm-ravaged Hearthstone behind and concludes, that Kholinar is lost, because he already is behind the Everstorm and it is moving FAST. Or decides to go to back Urithiru for reinforcements, which could include Bridge Four, who are on the verge to becoming Kaladin's squires. He could also request Shallan's help, seeing how well they worked together in the chasm.

There are a lot of ways the story can pan out, but I have a feeling, that Kaladin won't be alone in Alethkar for too long...