Scadrial-Roshar Connection?

VirtuousTraveller

On page 385 of Hero of Ages, I found an interesting quote:

Spoiler

"Why do you think that I would consent to such a thing?" Yomen finally asked.

"All accounts say that you are a man of honor."

"But you are not."  Yomen said, pointing at Elend.  "This very offer proves that.  You are an Allomancer - there would be no contest between us.  What honor would there be in that?"

Elend didn't really care.  He just wanted Yomen occupied as long as possible.  "Then choose a champion," he said.  "I'll fight him instead."

"Only a Mistborn would be a match for you," Yomen said.

The Stormfather gives Kaladin some interesting information as well:

Spoiler

"You might be able to get him to choose a champion. He is bound by some rules. All of us are. A champion could work well for you, but it is not certain."

"Vex Odium, convince him that he can lose, and appoint a champion. He will take that chance instead of risking defeat again, as he has suffered so often. This is the best advice I can give you."

Doesn't this sound like an interesting coincidence of words?  Maybe I'm missing something entirely, but do you think there's an in-Cosmere connection to what Elend is saying and what's happening on Roshar, or do you think this is just Brandon introducing this foreshadowing as an easter egg into the Stormlight Archive?

Appointing a champion or representant in your name is a real concept. Brandon did not invent this; I don't see how would that be connected. Appointing a champion could happen in every of the cosmere books and it would still be a concept each culture invented on their own.

The concept of using a champion to fight as a proxy is not a novel concept, and I can see it develop and most, if not all worlds and within all cultures. Also, the two conversation don't really have anything to do with each other, other than talking about a champion. In one, the setting is one of stalling, the second is one of actual victory and defeat, all-or-nothing style. So no, I don't think those conversations are proof of some unknown connection between the worlds.

• Chaos locked this topic