What happens when you burn Trellium? [Secret History Spoilers]

HonorIsDead

48 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Because Harmony does not know what is it

I doubt that is true, he probably knows, he just won't tell the kandra or the common people because he would considering it helping too much, he is very paranoid that he will help to much and may end up making them dependent on him or accidently split himself back into to separate shards

24 minutes ago, The_God_King said:

I doubt that is true, he probably knows, he just won't tell the kandra or the common people because he would considering it helping too much, he is very paranoid that he will help to much and may end up making them dependent on him or accidently split himself back into to separate shards

Nah, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know. Wax is supposed to be Harmony's divine intervention man; it wouldn't do to withhold information like this when Harmony wants to get stuff done. I'm inclined to trust him when he says he has no idea, especially considering we have a WoB that there are forces working to limit Harmony's knowledge. 

@Yata, a medallion can be filled only with one ability, and you can only use two medallions at a time; otherwise, in BoM Allik wouldn't have to take off his warmth medallion to use the connection medallion. And a medallion is actually some sort of mechanism that involves both Nicrosil and the metal of desired power, so I believe you're incorrect. I might be wrong, of course, but I'm pretty sure I remember this right (BTW, random note: we really need a Coppermind page on medallions).

Just a random question - how long, do you suppose, have Trell been hiding right under Harmony's nose? He's obviously been Investing in the planet, as the existence of Trellium proves, but do you think he arrived with his Fakeless Immortals to found the Set, or did he send the Fakeless first and only showed up shortly before the events of W&W books?

5 minutes ago, Rasarr said:

Just a random question - how long, do you suppose, have Trell been hiding right under Harmony's nose? He's obviously been Investing in the planet, as the existence of Trellium proves, but do you think he arrived with his Fakeless Immortals to found the Set, or did he send the Fakeless first and only showed up shortly before the events of W&W books?

Based on the fact that Harmony is only "distracted" according to the Kandra at the start of Bands of Mourning, I think the Trell force whatever it is only started directly interfering then. The Faceless Immortals have been around for a while, at least a few years before AoL.

38 minutes ago, Rasarr said:

trust him when he says he has no idea,

he never said that, the kandra said they had no idea and that they couldn't get in comunication with harmony because he was busy, and just because he is important doesn't mean he would tell wax everything, i doubt he would tell anyone aside from maybe marsh what it could do because he doesn't want to help too much, kinda like how he forced spook to find the last metals and what they could do on his own, he is a god but he can't just go around telling people everything

1 hour ago, Rasarr said:

@Yata, a medallion can be filled only with one ability, and you can only use two medallions at a time; otherwise, in BoM Allik wouldn't have to take off his warmth medallion to use the connection medallion. And a medallion is actually some sort of mechanism that involves both Nicrosil and the metal of desired power, so I believe you're incorrect. I might be wrong, of course, but I'm pretty sure I remember this right (BTW, random note: we really need a Coppermind page on medallions).

That's wrong. The problem is that when creating medallions, multiple people have to store their abilities. Somehow they interfere with each other. That's why only recently Southerners learned how to make medallions granting more than one power. Those which were on the ship, each granted two abilities: weight/connection, weight/warmth.

Medallions with three abilities are incredibly rare. Also, different medallions interfere with each other (that's why you can't just use 16 medallions to have all the powers).

However, if a person with multiple powers (like Mistborn, Full Feruchemist, Fullborn... perhaps even Twinborn count) stored them in nicrosil, they work just fine. That's what the Survivor's Spearhead is. An unsealed (there is a difference between unkeyed and unsealed IIRC) nicrosilmind which contains, more or less (as there would be problems with certain powers) all Allomantic and Feruchemical powers. Since they were stored by a single person, they can all be used at once.

53 minutes ago, Rasarr said:

Nah, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know. Wax is supposed to be Harmony's divine intervention man; it wouldn't do to withhold information like this when Harmony wants to get stuff done. I'm inclined to trust him when he says he has no idea, especially considering we have a WoB that there are forces working to limit Harmony's knowledge. 

That's a great idea to have a detailed Coppermind  medallion entry. 

People have been worshipping Trell on Scadrial since before TLR ascended. It was a localized religion. The Nelazan practiced it but how the religion got started is a mystery. I believe there had to be some direct contact by Trell that caused the recent resurgence. 

I've always held the opinion that there were Atium mistings all along, its just nobody knew about them until Leras altered the Snapping method, because as someone else mentioned, atium was too valuable to waste testing everybody to see if they could burn it.

The reason I think this is significant here, is because Brandon's expressed repeatedly that the Shards don't just design their magic systems. The magic of a Shardworld arises from the way their Investiture interacts with their Shardworld. Now, they have some ability to influence particulars of a magic system or how it works, such as when Leras altered the Snapping method to create an army of atium mistings....but for the most part it seems that magic systems build themselves out of Investiture/Shardworld interaction.

Another thing that Brandon has always made a big deal about when discussing Scadrial's magic, is that its unique compared to the other Shardworlds we've seen so far because of its genetic component. The blueprints for using Allomancy and Feruchemy are hardwired into Scadrial DNA, with certain elements needed to bring them out or express those traits. Shard Investiture on Scadrial expresses itself in both the metals AND in the DNA of Scadrial's people....its the combination of those two factors that result in Allomancy and Feruchemy, and why Brandon's said Scadrial's Investiture would be considerably harder to hack and fuel other magic systems than say, Roshar's.

Anyway, my point is....the DNA blueprint granting the ability to burn certain metals is a natural byproduct of a Shard's Investiture, just as certain metals are themselves. If there is atium via Ati Investing in Scadrial, then there will be people with the DNA to burn atium as well. So if we're right about Trellium actually being Trellium, a godmetal that's the byproduct of another Shard Investing in Scadrial, then I think the way magic naturally arises from Shard Investiture mingling with a Shardworld, there will eventually (if not already) be Trellium mistings as well. I think the two go hand in hand. If a Shard's Invested enough for one to be created, the other will have been as well. 

I think the only real question will be if, like Atium mistings, people have no idea about the potential for Trellium mistings because they lack widespread knowledge of it or access to it.

@ROSHtaFARian2.0 I agree with most of that and see your reasoning

also another dilemma is not just that they lack knowledge about Trellium, but also the lack of knowledge about what it does, it could be like the power of smokers and nobody would realise they were actually burning it

also about the DNA thing, i'm not sure this is right, but based off an article in the copper mind I saw, I assume the DNA thing is because unlike shards on other planets, ruin and preservation acctualy created their inhabitants instead of just taking the original Yolen version

Edited by The_God_King

52 minutes ago, The_God_King said:

also about the DNA thing, i'm not sure this is right, but based off an article in the copper mind I saw, I assume the DNA thing is because only like shards on other planets, ruin and preservation acctualy created their inhabitants instead of just taking the original Yolen version

Yes, but while Ruin and Preservation being the creators of Scadrial's inhabitants may be part of why there's such a strong connection between their DNA and tapping the Shards' Investiture, that doesn't change the fact that there IS a strong connection.

Basically what I mean is, while what you're saying may be true - that could very well just tie into what we're theorizing. It being true doesn't any way preclude what we're theorizing from also being true.

After all, the thing about the Shards is they are all sixteen pieces of the same, original whole. They have different Intents, but at their core, they're not at all dissimilar. So I don't see any reason why the way a Shardworld interacts with one Shard's power would be fundamentally different from how it interacts with another Shard's power....once an INITIAL interaction has happened. So when a Shard or pair of Shards make their first initial Investiture in a planet....that sets the tone for how all other Shards to come after them interact with it. As though that first initial Investiture forms a channel or a framework or pattern...that any other Shards Investiture would have to either match or fit through....but any other Shard COULD match their Investiture to, because they are all at their core, fractions of the same power.

For instance, we have this WoB:

SHADOWSABER223 ()

If Odium were lured to Scadrial, would his physical body turn into a burnable metal? If so, could Harmony create an Odium-metal legion of Mistings to consume and burn it? Would that weaken him sufficiently enough to be killed or destroyed?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The difficulty here is, again, one of Identity. People born on Scadrial have an Identity tied to it and its magic. Odium would have to do certain things to make them able to use a magic he fuels. He has done these things on Roshar, so it's not impossible for him to manage it on Scadrial.

While its open to interpretation, the phrasing of that answer has always left me with the impression that Odium did not Invest in Roshar at the same time as Honor and Cultivation, but rather that his Investiture happened afterward. He did certain things on Roshar to make its inhabitants able to use a magic he fuels. What that suggests to me is that Honor and Cultivation's initial Investiture formed the framework for how Roshar interacts with Shardic power and manifests it, and while odiumspren and voidbinding look and behave differently from honor/cultivationspren and surgebinding because they come from a different Shard, they aren't at their core dissimilar in what they are, how they work. Odium's later Investiture didn't reinvent magic on Roshar or alter it in fundamental ways....it simply added to what was already there, it fit his power into a pre-existing framework.

Ruin and Preservation created Scadrial and its inhabitants from scratch, and I can well believe that's the reason their Investiture is so deeply ingrained in both....its literally part of the fundamental bedrock of the planet and the people themselves. But that doesn't mean the Investiture of a later-arriving Shard would result in a completely different interaction between planet and power....it could just as likely mean that through their example, that is how Scadrial interprets Investiture. That's the framework it has in place for Investiture to manifest through, and other Shards can either match it or not....they can't just reinvent how the planet interacts with a Shard's power. So for another Shard to Invest in Scadrial....that's how it has to happen, in a manner so fundamental they make themselves a part of Scadrial on a level equivalent to the precedent Ruin and Preservation set....so much so that a new metal is formed in the very earth itself....and a corresponding DNA blueprint forms in the people who are as much a part of Scadrial as any element Ruin and Preservation created on it.

Edited by ROSHtaFARian2.0

8 hours ago, Rasarr said:

This is false, we see Medallion with 2 power all the times. For example while Allik is on the airship he has a Medallion with Feruchemical iron and F Connection. Simply He has not a Medallion with Feruchemical iron, fheat and F-Connection at the same time and he can't change Medallions all the time while they are in air to avoid too weight change. The Medallion (with F-Iron and F-Durallumin) itself are described to be made of three parts: A Nicrosil Unsealed one contains the powers, an Iron one to store the the weight and a Duralluminium one to tap Connection for.

Allik himself said he saw a Medallion with three powers a couple of time in his life.

Edited by Yata

• 3 weeks later...

Kinda off-topic, but

On 8/17/2016 at 2:38 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Pure bismuth is actually a dull metallic grey with a reddish tinge or streaks. The incredible colors are actually from other elements, not the metal itself. At least that was my understanding. I just thought it was cool.

Actually, pure bismuth is only colored when you create crystals with it, and you need high purity bismuth (>99%) in order to actually get the cool colors. The exterior of the crystals is actually bismuth oxide, and I believe that the temperature that the bismuth is at when it oxidizes influences its color. I'm not 100% sure if temperature influences the color, but that's an educated guess based on what I understand about electrons and the like.

4 hours ago, PantsForSquares said:

Kinda off-topic, but

Actually, pure bismuth is only colored when you create crystals with it, and you need high purity bismuth (>99%) in order to actually get the cool colors. The exterior of the crystals is actually bismuth oxide, and I believe that the temperature that the bismuth is at when it oxidizes influences its color. I'm not 100% sure if temperature influences the color, but that's an educated guess based on what I understand about electrons and the like.

This is kinda off-topic as well, but...

All this talk of Bismuth got me thinking, and this is totally out there and likely very inaccurate, but let's assume that "Trellium" is truly meant to be Bismuth. Bismuth in it's "pure" state is gray with rust-colored streaks. I've seen someone previously describe it as "dull" as well. You know what else is dull? Drabs. What if Trellium in the state that we witness it is invisible in the same way that a Drab is to an Awakener, and that it can also exist in fantastical, colorful forms (like Bismuth) that we haven't seen yet? Inb4 "Trell" is Edgli, that Edgli was Ati's sister, and that Edgli is mad at Sazed for his part in killing her brother.

EDIT1: Edgli and Ati do have somewhat similar sounding names, and given the "rust" color found in Trellium/Bismuth, it might explain the phrase "Rust and Ruin".

EDIT2: Hm, just realized that Edgli putting a bit of herself in every Nalthian (Breath) is most similar to what Leras did for Scadrians. I can't help but wonder if Edgli was somehow involved in that decision / process. I mean, her Shard is Endowment. I think I need to do some research into the Trell religion to see if it can compare in any way with what he know of her.

EDIT3: Hmmmmmmm...

Trelagism was a dualist religion named after the god Trell. Trell's opposite was Nalt, and the two were believed to be brothers.

Trelagists believed that night was sacred and daylight was profane. During the night, Trelagists were able to see the Thousand Eyes of Trell (the stars) watching over them, but during the day, Nalt, jealous of the worship given to his brother, would shine his single eye (the sun) on the land, blocking Trelagists from seeing Trell's eyes

Nalt... Nalthis...

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...

Think I'ma start calling this metal Naltium.

EDIT4: More quotes from the Coppermind, more speculation...

Trelagism may have diverged from its original beliefs since the end of the Final Empire. However, only one self-proclaimed adherent to the belief is encountered (Miles Dagouter), so the apparent divergence could simply be a personal opinion of the worshiper, or even his interpretation of beliefs that have yet to be revealed to readers.

Whatever the case may be, Miles claimed to worship Trell and believed that Trell created mankind, but made no comments regarding the Thousand Eyes or Nalt's eye, or even expressed a dislike of daylight. In addition, he held the beliefs that the ruling class should be made up exclusively of twinborn — a concept that might be unimaginable to the Nelazan — and that Trell had made men like him specially to right wrongs in the world. Whether or not he was a Trelagist is not clear; he referred to his religion as "Trellism", rather than "Trelagism", but he did name his god as "Trell". Miles also claimed, as he was being executed, that "the men of gold and red, bearers of the final metal, will come". It is unknown if this was a personal belief or a tenet of Trellism.

Kinda aligns pretty well with Edgli having a part in "endowing" Scadrian's with bits of Preservation. Then we see this bit about "Trell had made men like him specially to right wrongs in the world." Remind anyone of anything else? *Cough* Returned *Cough*. Also didn't the colors gold and red belong to a certain Returned? I want to say Lightsong buttt, my memory isn't the greatest.

In the epilogue, the Set are revealed as agents of Trell. Edwarn Ladrian brags of Trell having faceless immortals of his own. One of these tells Edwarn that Scadrial has become too dangerous, and that Trell intends to destroy it instead of using the Set to rule it. He also says Edwarn will be allowed to serve in another Realm, perhaps indicating that Trell followers are Worldhoppers, or at least aware of the different Realms.

Now I'm wondering if these "Faceless Immortals" are actual Returned, and are ingesting metals to keep themselves alive.

Edited by Amanuensis

On September 2, 2016 at 5:08 PM, PantsForSquares said:

Kinda off-topic, but

I'm not a geologist, so I was going by what I could find on Wikipedia. The metal is full grey with reddish streaks. I'm not talking about the crystals at all.

OK, so the kandra have both the Trellium spike and the Bands, right?

Well, if one were to grind down the spike into a touch of powder, and ingest it, then equip themselves with the Bands, they would, in theory, be able to determine Trellium's Allomantic powers. Maybe we'll find out in The Lost Metal.

ALSO, in one of the Era 2 Mistborn books, at a party (I think in SoS when we first see Bleeder at Innate's party) there is a plaque that refers to atium as the lost metal

To quote Khriss, 

"This demands further study."

20 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Well, if one were to grind down the spike into a touch of powder, and ingest it, then equip themselves with the Bands, they would, in theory, be able to determine Trellium's Allomantic powers.

Nope.

Shadowsaber223 ()

If Odium were lured to Scadrial, would his physical body turn into a burnable metal? If so, could Harmony create an Odium-metal legion of Mistings to consume and burn it? Would that weaken him sufficiently enough to be killed or destroyed?

Brandon Sanderson

The difficulty here is, again, one of Identity. People born on Scadrial have an Identity tied to it and its magic. Odium would have to do certain things to make them able to use a magic he fuels. He has done these things on Roshar, so it's not impossible for him to manage it on Scadrial.

source

We are not sure whether the simple fact that the godmetal exists makes it burnable/tappable. It obviously can be used as a spike, but then anyone on Scadrial can do Hemalurgy while for Allomancy or Feruchemy one has to have specific spiritual genes.

And even if Trell did those things Brandon spoke of in that WoB, it would only mean that from this point in time onward Mistborn could burn it (sadly, there are none) or that a Trellium Misting could be born (that it, if godmetal Mistings happen naturally). If a person was born before Trell did those things, it would be impossible for that person to be able to burn it.

Now, the Spearhead contains abilities Kelsier had - and he was born way before that whole thing, so his Mistborn abilities are confined to the base sixteen and lerasium and its alloys and atium and its alloys. We do not know where his Feruchemy comes from, but then again it would still be older than Trell's shenaningans.

So the Spearhead cannot help in studying trellium :(

Edited by Oversleep

5 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Nope.

We are not sure whether the simple fact that the godmetal exists makes it burnable/tappable. It obviously can be used as a spike, but then anyone on Scadrial can do Hemalurgy while for Allomancy or Feruchemy one has to have specific spiritual genes.

And even if Trell did those things Brandon spoke of in that WoB, it would only mean that from this point in time onward Mistborn could burn it (sadly, there are none) or that a Trellium Misting could be born (that it, if godmetal Mistings happen naturally). If a person was born before Trell did those things, it would be impossible for that person to be able to burn it.

Now, the Spearhead contains abilities Kelsier had - and he was born way before that whole thing, so his Mistborn abilities are confined to the base sixteen and lerasium and its alloys and atium and its alloys. We do not know where his Feruchemy comes from, but then again it would still be older than Trell's shenaningans.

Oh, OK. Thanks for clarifying. 

Godmetal mistings used to happen (We miss you Yomen) but I assume not anymore in Era 2. Or at least not that we have knowledge of.

Thanks, anyways!

Just now, bleeder said:

Godmetal mistings used to happen (We miss you Yomen) but I assume not anymore in Era 2. Or at least not that we have knowledge of.

Well, do we know whether atium Mistings would born naturally without Preservation's big plan? Leras did some funky things to defeat Ruin.

BTW, I may have been wrong on the 'lerasium and its alloys' thing - after all, anyone can burn it.

Just now, Oversleep said:

Well, do we know whether atium Mistings would born naturally without Preservation's big plan? Leras did some funky things to defeat Ruin.

BTW, I may have been wrong on the 'lerasium and its alloys' thing - after all, anyone can burn it.

Hmm... good point.

3 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Per the Allomancy page on the Coppermind. Note the "citation needed," so this may not be fully accurate

However, Preservation could still alter Allomancy in certain ways. He changed the rules of Allomancy twice: the first time, he changed the Table of Allomantic Metals to have atium and malatium as external temporal metals, exchanging them with cadmium and bendalloy.[Citation needed] This may have had the effect of allowing for the existence of atium Mistings.

On 9/11/2016 at 4:51 PM, Oversleep said:

Nope.

Actually Mistborn can burn all metals, but if they're not alomantic they die. If it's a bad alloy they just get ill. The Bands are still useless here though; each of the sixteen alomantic and feruchemical abilities was stored separately. It isn't one block of power, but a bunch of little ones. Assuming Paalm's spike is burnable there is still no reason for Kelsier to have stored the ability to do so. Not unless he knew about it anyway...

1 hour ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Actually Mistborn can burn all metals, but if they're not alomantic they die. If it's a bad alloy they just get ill. The Bands are still useless here though; each of the sixteen alomantic and feruchemical abilities was stored separately. It isn't one block of power, but a bunch of little ones. Assuming Paalm's spike is burnable there is still no reason for Kelsier to have stored the ability to do so. Not unless he knew about it anyway...

Actually I think the Bands has "Mistborn power"+"probably all Ferring Power". I actually don't think Kelsier has once again his status as Mistborn but it's meaningless because He had Spook as Mistborn to put the "mistborn power" in the Bands. I don't think you have to Store separately the power (at least if you choose freely to do it). If I am a Mistborn-Soulbearer and I store my Spiritweb. In my NicrosilMind there will be the full array of Mistborn's powers (16 mundane+17 Atium based+(maybe) a lot of more).

The problem remains....We don't know if a Mistborn may burn Trellium. To me that WoB doesn't explain fully the Mistborn cases but I may see how other can have another PoV and I have to respect it.

4 hours ago, Yata said:

Actually I think the Bands has "Mistborn power"+"probably all Ferring Power". I actually don't think Kelsier has once again his status as Mistborn but it's meaningless because He had Spook as Mistborn to put the "mistborn power" in the Bands. I don't think you have to Store separately the power (at least if you choose freely to do it). If I am a Mistborn-Soulbearer and I store my Spiritweb. In my NicrosilMind there will be the full array of Mistborn's powers (16 mundane+17 Atium based+(maybe) a lot of more).

The problem remains....We don't know if a Mistborn may burn Trellium. To me that WoB doesn't explain fully the Mistborn cases but I may see how other can have another PoV and I have to respect it.

I think it's not just "Probably all Ferring Power" 

I think it's "whoa man Full Feruchemist running super fast and thinking super fast and being cold and strong and not hungry and stuff" power

On 17.8.2016 at 4:31 PM, Yata said:

No man, Leras (Preservation) made possible Seer and Malatium's Misting to made possible to have an army who may burn Ruin's body. But it's a messing of a Shard in the magic who fuels. The Mist were setted to made this possible thousand of years ago. The MistSnapping was a tool to create more Allomancer than before and to made possible the Seer's birth. It's was designed to Snap a precise fraction of the popolation to suggest a Intelligent Guide.

We have not sure proof but Sazed fixed this because there is no more need of this trick when he changed the Snapping method.

EDIT: From Coppermind

No, we know there were possible seers before the mist-snapping, because Yomen is one. They just didn't want to waste atium checking people for it.