Mid-Range Game 16: War of the (Cosmere) Worlds

Alvron

Suddenly, Lamron gained clarity. Everything had felt like a dream until then. He faintly remembered disappearing from his normal world and landing on this one. The feeling was strangely not what he'd expected. Being transported across worlds had been a comfortable experience, almost like sleeping in a normal warm bed. 

But, he doubted this arena would be very similar. 

Lamron watched his opponents with a careful eye. They all seemed normal, like him. The audience and the commentary though, it seemed was quite blood thirsty. Fortunately enough, they didn't seem to be vampires.

But, he figured, if bloodshed was what was normal, then he definitely didn't want seem abnormal in this situation. 

He looked to his left hand and saw it was empty, much to his dismay. His right hand, on the contrary, held a normal looking hatchet. Behind him, he sensed a person moving. Swirling on his normal leg, he swung his arm to strike the head and almost did hit it. 

Except for the completely normal fact that the hatchet swung out of his hand because he'd lost his grip. 

Thankfully, the contestant in front of him didn't seem to pay notice. They were too busy making comments about the normal audience, it seemed.

"Where did that hatchet run off to now?" Was it even normal for hatchets to avoid their owners? Lorman guessed it was for that was what had happened, and set off to find it.

Is this a normal RP?

Ialla rolled her eyes at the announcer's words. "Right," she said, "like we're going to kill each other just so some sick-in-the-head crowd can watch." She started as she realized just how close some of the other "contestants" were to where she stood. "Um," she filled as she slowly backed away from the gathered menagerie. "Right? No killing, yes?"

"At least some of these others are on my side," she muttered, "or at least, I sure hope I'm not alone here..." She started again as she realized she was speaking aloud and quickly shut her mouth. She looked around nervously, trying her best not to look scared.

"Well, my rebellious speech didn't work, time to find people that don't want to be murdered and team with them." Parth sighed to himself. One girl was walking away from the crowd and saying that we shouldn't kill each other, Parth agreed. He walked up to her and said "Hi, I see that we agree on not dying, so, how about we team?"

The Healer returned to his corner, feeling more than a little glum. True, he hadn't exactly been expecting to be gratefully welcomed, but he couldn't help anyone at all if they didn't accept his ministrations. Still, cold rejection was something he had never experienced yet. He supposed they were being wise. No sense trusting each other, if they might have to kill each other.

He tsked. Just as well his medical kit was full. He predicted injuries galore to rain down in the next few days. 

He then noticed a man and a girl standing by the side, actually having a conversation. A small spark of hope flared in his chest, a hope that they could actually work together civilly. Shouldering his kit, he made his way eagerly to find out what they were talking about. 

Rynth notices a bunch of people discussing something...most likely an alliance. Rynth thinks of joining in, but pauses. what's the point if everyone becomes each other's ally? Who would we act against? Rynth would have to approach someone else and talk of alliances...she'll have to wait for the right moment. Thus, she wanders deeper into the arena.

Alright I just wanna say that I wanted to do some serious long post stuff as if I was like El or Aman but just I like can't be bothered to do all that effort only to get killed so I'm gonna play some Overwatch now.

These alliances will do you no good, Dunquaivel thinks to herself as she looks around the arena with distaste, eyes falling on a group of contestants teaming up. All of them will be dead in a matter of weeks, you'll only hurt yourself by getting attached to them. And anyone of them could easily be the enemy. She decides avoid talking to anyone, that way it'll be easier to kill when time comes. Others are bound to be suspicious of her, seeing as how she keeps to herself and refuses to go anywhere near them. If only they knew who the real enemy is...

She walks deep into an alleyway, where she sits inside a trash bin and starts to think of ways to defend herself when they come for her.

1 hour ago, Conquestor said:

"Well, my rebellious speech didn't work, time to find people that don't want to be murdered and team with them." Parth sighed to himself. One girl was walking away from the crowd and saying that we shouldn't kill each other, Parth agreed. He walked up to her and said "Hi, I see that we agree on not dying, so, how about we team?"

"Oh no," the woman says, eyeing the stranger carefully. "I'm not falling for that one. I agree to work with you, everyone gets riled up against us, and then you point them toward me? Or are you trying to find out if someone's from the same place as you, figuring if they are, you'll join with them, and if they're not, you'll kill them where no one can see? I'm on my own here, for now at least. We all are, and anyone who thinks otherwise is about to get stabbed in the back by whatever stranger convinced them to work together."

To answer the question about teams and balance, a lot of faction games fail because they try to balance things against each other in the way that El suggested: where one team has a lot of protection, another has kill, another has information-gathering roles, etc. The problem is, what if the protection team has mostly inactives? That team is not only disadvantaged due to their members being inactive, but the active players are disadvantaged because roles they need to have a chance to survive and win are inactive and they're left with basically nothing to do because their entire team's purpose is protection.

The best chance for a faction game to be balanced is all teams to be on equal footing in terms of roles. This is how MR5 was run. Not every role was in the game, even on the teams. There was enough for all the team roles to be in the game. But Alv dropped one of the roles to add a second double-life for each team into the game. I would bet my MEC suit that I just got back that all four teams have the exact same roles right now. Sure, there's still a problem with inactivity, but for a single inactive, the team isn't too disadvantaged because the other players have things they can do to counteract it. (I know. The Epics in the first game had both the faction-scanner and the kill role inactive/not reporting to the team (and dying within the first two cycles) whereas some of the teams had every role active. And yet in the last four standing in the game, two of them were Epics).

With 22 players in the game, that puts 5 people on each team. I'm certain that the Jack of All Trades, the protect, the kill, and the thug are on each team. I'm not sure whether he'd drop the scanner or the vote manip, though. I could see him doing either one. He dropped the vote manip last time, and I do rather think this game could be very interesting (in light of what happened in the first run) without scanners. The real question is which 2 of the 4 independents he included. And that I have no idea about. I can see him doing any combo of them. Instinct tells me the SK is in the game, but instinct told me that last time because it's his pet role and Alv didn't include it because he knew people would expect it. Hoid was in the last game, which makes me think Hoid wouldn't be in this one, but Hoid could be for that very reason. The Demolitionist could be a lot of fun. So could the Paranoid Arms Dealer. I'm leaning towards an SK/Paranoid Arms Dealer mix. Possibly switching out the SK for the Demolitionist though.

But anyway. Point is, the teams are highly likely even right now. They have the same roles. That much is practically certain. The only real question is which role(s) did he drop from the teams. And which of the independents he included.

And just to spice things up: I'm from Scadrial. Scadrians (and anyone else who wants to try to fool me into thinking you're from Scadrial as well), feel free to contact me. Let's get organized! :)

Oh yeah i'm too lazy to PM people so if you want to PM me then that'd be cool (inb4 like 3 PMs)

I guess if you wanna make it more interesting, then:

(insert planet here)

(insert role here)

(insert what i already know here)

The first person to PM me after this post can do a mutual alignment trade. I'll be honest, and I hope you will as well.

Edit: Ok, I've gotten 2 PMers. Neither seems to share my alignment, unfortunately... 

Edit 2: I'm seriously considering all-out revealing my alignment. I'm more or less willing to trade with anyone interested right now (Alignment, not role)

Edited by Bugsy6912

I now advise all Scadrians to contact Wilson.  Wilson is 100% confirmed Scadrian,  because she said she is. And that is all the evidence you need.

That's all for now.

(Hmmm.. I guess that was too abrupt. All I mean to say is that I'd advise Scadrians, or anyone else for that matter, to not fully trust verbal claims. But given that that's all we have for now, I guess it's better than nothing.)

Edited by Mark IV
Didn't want to double post

...that's not how this works. I mean, I am Scadrian, but I'm not confirmed Scadrian. And anyway, how else do you propose people organize when no one knows who else is on their team? I'm basically sacrificing myself to hopefully get Scadrial organized. Because I can guarantee that I will die next Cycle. At least one person will attack me because I'm safe to attack for anyone who's not Scadrian. But you know what? I'm fine with that. I'll die for my team. Gladly. I would really just like my death to actually mean something so it would really be nice if the Scadrians did contact me. Please. >>

Yeah guys.  Contact Wilson. :P  

But seriously, she is going to be attacked tonight, most likely, whether she is Scadrian or not.  So I say it is not a bad idea to tell her.  Just my opinion though.

Edited by Magestar
When spellcheck edits Opinion to say Opium...

8 minutes ago, Magestar said:

Yeah guys.  Contact Wilson. :P  

But seriously, she is going to be attacked tonight, most likely, whether she is Scadrian or not.  So I say it is not a bad idea to tell her.  Just my opinion though.

You mean tomorrow - no attacks first Cycle. Scans, sure, but not attacks.

Yes.  That's what I meant.  -facepalm-

Actually, in that case, it would be good if a scadrian would scan her tonight.  Just to see if she is telling the truth.  And maybe then another scadrian can start protecting her anonymously.

Wow.  I have no idea why I'm supporting scadrial. -sigh-

This is a good idea for any of the teams.

Edited by Magestar

13 minutes ago, Magestar said:

Yes.  That's what I meant.  -facepalm-

Actually, in that case, it would be good if a scadrian would scan her tonight.  Just to see if she is telling the truth.  And maybe then another scadrian can start protecting her anonymously.

Wow.  I have no idea why I'm supporting scadrial. -sigh-

This is a good idea for any of the teams.

Well, then that one scanner knows that she's clear, but that's all the info it gives. Scanners get more info by scanning other people who don't give out any info. I mean, it doesn't tell Wilson that she can trust the person who claims to have scanned her because they could be any world's scanner, or even just a random person from another world guessing she's telling the truth and/or lying and just happening to be right.

I mean, not to spread paranoia here, but it surprisingly easy for me in LG23 to pretend to be in another house. I had quite a few people convinced, and that was a game where you knew your entire faction ahead of time. Don't jump to conclusions. Well, don't jump to conclusions that hurt my team at least. You can go right ahead and jump to any you want that help us <.<

Can we all stop this IKYK stuff that's going on, I mean I'm not even like reading Magestar pretending to not be Scadrian or anything so I can try to not think, but I imagine some people who wanna write long posts are gonna find it very annoying.

Edited by STINK
Might to mean